Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Leading lady? Or some or girl? - Minitokyo

Leading lady? Or some or girl?

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Let's admit it, it's almost always tradition that most female leads of bishoujo anime or any type of anime rather, only settle for second place in the hearts of viewers, whether there be a matching leading male or not.

I for example choose Kotori and Tamaki over Nemu in Da Capo
Henrietta over Louise in Zero no Tsukaima
Wilhelmina over Shana in Shakugan no Shana
Alkaid over Atoli or Shino in .hack G.U.
Twiddledee over Eclair and Lumiere in Kiddy Grade
etc..

Any thoughts on why the female lead always almost never gets the favor of the viewers while the other girls seem far more interesting no matter how small their roles are?

Lunariha

Lunariha

Glitter~♥

Well, umm..I think it depends on each of the viewers' personal taste^^ Just like me...some of my fav female anime gals are the leading ones and some are the supporting ones XD

Signature
My Latest Artworks: Just Realized and My #7

shoujoboy

shoujoboy

Launching shoujoboy 2.0

I don't know that your arguement really stands up to be honest. Herietta over Louise and Wilhelmina over Shana? I'm not sure where you'd get that idea considering all the Shana and Louise fanboys out there. But for arguements sake lets say you're right. My best guess is that it could be either due to overexposure or just likeability. Louise and Shana both drove the storyline, but their personalities were pretty bad. While your lesser characters had a short time to make an impact and instead of annoying viewers, they attracted them. My first thought is Love Hina. I hated Naru and loved Mutsumi. Sure Naru had her moments of greatness, but for the most part she was mean as hell and always on screen. Mutsumi would pop up, be sweet and leave.

Then again screen time and likeability don't always corelate. Lacus Clyne is well loved in Gundam SeeD, and she was a leading lady. I think it's safe to say most people like Saber from Fate/Stay Night in the leading lady role (although I'm a Rin Tohsaka person myself). But it does ultimately come down to personal preference and crowd that anime appeals to. If you look at the genre a particular anime falls into, you can figure the type of people who will watch it. I'd say Haruhi is the best example of this. Based on what the show was going to center around, the creators probably threw in Mikura Asahina to appeal to it's core demographic.

Then again maybe I'm just going around in circles.

Under construction. Who doesn't like plain text anyway?

Rosencraft

Arbiter of the Shadows

I think shoujoboy has it exactly right. The lead is usually set to drive home a point, and eventually people get tired of hearing that point. The secondary characters usually appear briefly or far less often and viewers latch on ot them because of the fact that we don't seem them too often. Personally i've always found the lead characters, male or female, to have a lot of appeal.

Then again i do have strange taste. A lot of people seemed to hate Meer from G.S. Destiny, but i liked her; not more than Lacus, but still, i didn't hate her like a lot of people seemed to.

BookOfTheShadows.com
bookoftheshadows.blogspot.com
www.fanfiction.net/u/4848661/

it really depends in a person's taste. i like leading girl in some anime. i also like supporting girl in some anime.

I'm not really trying to make an argument here. I'm just trying to get others' views on why the the other female characters are more appealing than the leading one. And as I've said, "almost, so there are exceptions, at least for me.

I actually find Louise's and Shana's personalities quite moe-ish, but not to the point of favoring them.

I didn't really see Lacus Clyne as the leading lady in Gundam Seed, well, maybe just a little because she was paired up with Kira. Overall, I think she and Cagalli had equally important roles. Although I did like Lacus in Gundam Seed Destiny because she seemed a little more stern and still gentle at the same time, especially whenever she takes command of the ship. I was a Luna fanboy up until she paired up with Shin, which made me switch to Lacus instead. Shin's a fag. BTW, I've been wondering if Lacus is also a berserker? There are a few scenes in Gundam SD in the ship when her eyes goes the same as Kira's, Athrun's, and Shin's. Maybe she gets smarter? ROFL

Saber and Rin share the same spot on my favorite female character list. I find Saber extremely cool, while I find Rin extremely hot.

And her...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/mistergua/Haruhiismishot.jpg
I'm a devotee, so you'll get no argument from me about liking her or not.

I think it depends. I remember one of "Blood Plus" polls here on MT (Sorry don't remember the title) inquiring fan's favorite character in Blood+ Series. It was very surprising for me to find Haji as the most favored character in spite of Saya being the protagonist.

Fate Stay Night on the other hand, in spite of having Shirou Emiya as its main character, has scored more fans for Saber. I think it all depends on the Character's personality and performance.

Lacus Clyne as the leading lady: She had/has an famous and outstanding looks. Yet, her role and performance, if not less, are as equal as Mirriallia, Cagalli, and Murrue. Noticeably, the latter three showed more performance (and less talking) during course of the series in comparison with Lacus Clyne.

Tatsumi09

Tatsumi09

Seeker of Inner Peace

I think it's mainly that they let the female character's role drag on and on and on and on repeating same concepts over and over and over again, which really prevents her from being first place. Support characters are usually the coolest and best mainly because they don't have the much 'responsibility' as the main character (pretty much less constraints on their behavior and actions).

wraith11

wraith11

The Alfa Bloke

I think in some ways, anime tends not to develop side characters as much. The main lead my have a well defined personality, but those characters with less screen time become more 2D, they have a front and that's about it.

As an up-shot of that, people are more readily able to then tailor the "side character" to their own viewpoint, bending them to their own (sometimes mildly disturbing) imaginings. Suddenly that "side character" is more appealing to the viewer as they make up personality traits that suit their own wishes. In some way they've then taken ownership of a small part of that character, hence they become more special to them.

Meh, it's a thought. Possibly I'm just trying to think too hard about this.

Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV - Heaven on a transaxel
http://wraith11.deviantart.com/

I did not Nemu's character in DaCapo. She was really selfish.

The main female character normally isnt most attractive.
If the episode lasts long or the character keeps talking the same crap... i guess u'll grow irritated...

haruhi is as apealing as yuki and mikuru, and the main female often ends up being the most appealing because the story focuses on her

I agree with Lunariha there, it kinda depends on the viewer's taste like for me I like Isumi over Nagi in Hayate no Gotoku
Pilica over Anna in Shaman King
And many more.

Well, it all depends. I'd choose Miriallia Haw (GundamSEED) than Lacus Clyne, and Mikuru Asashina (Haruhi) over Haruhi... but I'm equally happy with Maya Toomi (Fafner) or Sakura Kaname... it all depends. It's your cup of tea (or, if you're Andrew Waltfeld, coffee)

not quite sure actually

Hmm... this is an interesting topic I never really thought of it before. I mean I usually like the main characters. But maybe your right. There some anime where you can see that the leading female aren't that how and thus people will choose the other. Example Rin over Saber (Fate Stay Night).

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.