Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How do you paint a background using photoshop? - Minitokyo

How do you paint a background using photoshop?

page 1 of 1 2 total items

Please help me. I've been looking at alot of tutorials, but I really don't understand them. If someone is kind enough to give me a hand...I would really appreciate it! How do you paint a background using photoshop cs2? :sweat:

Well maybe you could be a little more specific as to what you want to paint. Some artists/mangaka have a tiny foreground and massive background; some have almost no background at all.

Can you tell me what you are trying to do?

Maybe this will help: when I am painting/drawing in CS2 I will usually use 2-4 layers for the background. Let's assume I'm doing a complicated background:

1. I draw a sketch of the background on a low-res layer (this is usually greyish-brown in color (think sepia) and I tend to use a wide pen/narrow brush to force myself to not go into the details on this level.

2. On a new layer, I trace the sketch with a blue pen.

3. I fix all broken areas, and work on the details.

4. Depending on the color theme of the picture, I then overlay an appropriate background color (blue/grey is a neutral, safe color; backlit pictures get a white wash; black is for a black and white picture; red sometimes are used in "hot" or wild-looking pictures). If you've ever done painting, this should be a little odd for you: if you were painting by hand, you would have done this wash a while ago.

5. New layer: I add in basic colors in broad strokes. I delete the sketch layer.

6. If I need to, I will add in shading and more complex coloring on a new layer.

7. The last layer I work on are the highlights.

Generally speaking I hop around a lot (I do the background and foreground sketches simultaneously; same with the lineart). Then I do the foreground wash and basic colors, then the background colors. Oftentimes, I will color in a lot of the background details first, if I'm unsure of the foreground colors.

page 1 of 1 2 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.