Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How did you learn to draw/paint? - Minitokyo

How did you learn to draw/paint?

page 1 of 1 2 total items

A three-part question to all the people with artistic talent: 1) How did you learn to draw/paint well? 2) What do you think makes someone talented? 3) How does someone with little, if any, talent or ability get better?

I take an art class in school, and am constantly teased for being good at drawing (Define "irony" X-P). Among the jokes and jeers, the question "how come you're so good" is often asked. So, I share this topic with you.

1) I guess I mostly picked up my talent from my brothers. They're both very skilled in drawing, so, since I always followed them and wanted to do everything they did when I was a kid, I became interested in art as well. Then I improved my skills by asking my brothers for advice, by using a drawing book/guide (my favorite is "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" XD), and by practicing a lot.
2) I believe that talent comes mostly from the simple will to try, and that those who mock people for being good aren't talented because they lack will to actually try improving their skills. But talent also comes practicing and learning new techniques and such, and possibly from having better mental abilities like being able to visualize objects better.
3) I really don't have an opinion on this. When asked how to get better, I just say practice and experiment.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."
http://my.gpxpl.us/BloodWolfX

1. Well, mostly I'm self-taught, but when I was younger my dad used to teach me how to draw, and even for 3 year olds he does not simplify anything... haha. Most of my family are artists, too. (my dad likes film and photography so I've always had a mild obsession with lighting xP) But for drawing well most of it came from practice.

2. er, I guess it's just part of the personality? Like if you enjoy something you'll naturally do it often and get better at it. Kinda like how some people wonder how I got so good at Tetris. lol. and I think reasoning abilities have something to do with it too. I'm good with spatial reasoning, but suck at analyzing.

3. yeah, same as you mostly. Practice and experiment. Also, don't be too rigid. Learn the rules, but don't be afraid to break them either. Maintaining the status quo results in stagnation or something like that.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

page 1 of 1 2 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.