Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Whoa...Harsh reviews of Girls Bravo and DearS - Minitokyo

Whoa...Harsh reviews of Girls Bravo and DearS

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Heya, this is techinally SPAM (I'm not positing this in anime because I want comments on the reviews given by the website ' T.H.E.M' and how they feel the reivew was, unless you feel overall if it fits in Anime & Manga, then by all means move away =D).

Anyways, I was looking around at this anime review website that I usually go to check out how they found certain series, and well I was somewhat shocked to say the least on the reviews they gave for DearS and Girls Bravo...... Though I do find the reviews understanding, but quite harsh in the aspect and well I wanted to see what others felt about their review on the two shows (Since we've got 'some' DearS and Girls Bravo fans here ^.~ ) Anyways here are the links.

DearS - http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=764

Girls Bravo - http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=763

Anyways this is basically how you felt about the review (Since it is their opinion I know everyone thinks differently but I was curious as to how others felt about it).

Anyways feel free to post what you think they should of mentioned rather as positives, or if anything should be different about this (Once again why I am posting this in the spam section, unless this is considered TRUE spam, then delete it and I apologize and will never do this again, this poll will just be a one time thing anyway)

Signature Image

i actually pretty much agree with what those reviews said. girls bravo si absolute crap imo but dearS is at least enjoyable to watch. though the plot for DearS is quite disturbing/sick imo.

Athrun

Athrun

Flying Chain Chomp

It doesn't fit spam. :P Since we are gonna post more than 3 words and post our opinions. Of course.. there's always a chance it could turn out bad... but anyway...

See why I don't trust reviews? Girls Bravo is rather good, in my opinion. But people have their opinions. I just wish they didn't have to be so proud of it.

Ex:

Someone: Gundam SEED is pretty good.
Someone2: It has too many flaws! I like DBZ better because [rant,rant,rant]

Notice how "Someone2" just had to have to nerve to voice his opinion when it wasn't necessary. :P

Still buying pokemon cards?
My Ebay!
Don't miss out on very rare stuff! *Japanese Shiny Krookodile*, Full Art Ho-oh EX and Elesa deck sleeves! Very hard to find and very expensive from Japanese sellers! Get them while they're at a low cost! Ending very soon!

Osiris

Retired Moderator

Osiris

(>^-^)>( . Y . )

dearS is too funny....thank god its only 13 eps, otherwise ill die of laughter XD

i kind of lost interest in girls bravo..ill start watching again when all the eps are out >_>

the review was harsh but i kinda agree ^_^'

Signature

Omega13

Double Impact

Well, I'm not going to vote in the poll, since I haven't seen Girls Bravo and therefore cannot make a well-informed decision about that aspect of it, but as far as the DearS review goes, all the facts seemed right-on to me. However, the question regarding DearS (and probably Girls Bravo, too) is: are you the type of person who can put yourself in the proper mindset to enjoy it for what it is? Obviously the reviewer couldn't do that, whereas it's easy for me to turn my brain off and just say 'Oooh....pretty pictures' when watching something with a horrible plot, if any. It's also nice to have a group of friends who are good at MSTing really bad shows...

blueotaku-sp

blueotaku-sp

Blue is on me!

Quote by crapmonsteri actually pretty much agree with what those reviews said. girls bravo si absolute crap imo but dearS is at least enjoyable to watch. though the plot for DearS is quite disturbing/sick imo.

I think just the opposite from you crapm, hey man for me Girls BRavo at least seems to have a story to tell but dears for me seems to get to no point ´cause there´s no point no meaning on that anime, but still think that the reviewer it´s overacting it´s not that bad, just have some serious probs.

lets say different ppl different tastes... i would say that they rate it too hard; if u dun like it then ya dun watch it. and theres the stupid ppl who make things look soooo bad that they make "other ppl" think like them. i love them both; art wise story wise great comedy, love anime in this genre. hell its alot better than watching naruto or one peice imo cuz those stories never end i swear its so dumb imo. so keep opinions to urself and try to watch things w/o a reveiw.

I haven't seen DearS or Girls Bravo but I do have a few comments. I have read most of both reviews and I do understand your concern a bit.

I don't believe in such a thing as a "fair" review. ALL reviews are biased to some degree. ALL reviews are opinions of the writer. They contain the writer's experience when watching it. Reviews should not be taken as an "absolute viewpoint". Nor should they tell you "what to think". Rather, try to learn "how to think" from reviews. Like, learn what to pay attention to when watching anime to get the most out of the experience.

Many things affect whether we like an anime (or other reviewable items) or not. THEM's review is just an article of one person's experience with the series. I myself didn't like some highly rated series such as Raxephon.

Music, character designs, animation style and voice acting have a subjective component. One person may like the character design of one series but another person might not find it as appealing. A lot of things are really based on personal preference. But of course, good music should mean "it complements the scene" and good voice acting should mean "it express emotions properly". Good animation should mean "motion is animated fluidly in detail, not stimulated". All this means there ARE standards to what a good anime should be but your personal preference ultimately affects how "good" a series is. In this case, the so called sexism got to Stig Hogset so much that DearS was unenjoyable. In that respect, of course the review is "fair".

If I was to start a review site (which I never will), I would give each review 2 ratingss. One for "how good it is" and one for how much I liked it. The former is harder to argue while the latter is opinion based of course.

Wow you're still reading....congrats...

Lastly, I never ever get offended by sexism in shows. I don't even consider DearS as sexist. Why get offended over anime? We know damn well 99.99999% of the women on Earth aren't like that (actually DearS are aliens in seems) From what I've read, it's not like they are unhappy about being slaves. It also doesn't seem like the idea that man in general are better is implied. But I really have to watch it before I can say more. My main point is that people's imaginations strech too far.

I haven't seen any of those shows.. but from what I'm reading it looks pretty bad >.< I know ppl who would like them tho... yea you know who I'm talking about :P

Signature Image

macguges

macguges

yet another otaku geek

I haven't seen either show yet, so I won't put in a vote yet. Bittorrent's been giving me trouble lately, but I may have an opportunity to watch DearS or Girls Bravo later this week.

However, from what I'd read of DearS I have been expecting to be disappointed. I've become curious to see if DearS really is as offensive as the short descriptions I've found suggest.

Quote by bluecheeseLastly, I never ever get offended by sexism in shows. I don't even consider DearS as sexist. Why get offended over anime?

Why not get offended over anime? If we don't allow ourselves to become offended, can anime still delight us? Bluecheese seems to suggest that the values expressed through anime do not matter because it's only entertainment. Perhaps DearS appeals most to the audience that feels frustrated regret that the women they know do not behave like the obsequious slaves of that anime, and confirms for them that's a good idea. Is that a case of my imagination stretching too far, or theirs?

However I wouldn't agree with a proposal for pop cultural purity, to watch, play or consume only those things that represent only the most noble & desirable of human behaviors. Besides the chaos that would result if we tried to agree on such a standard, I feel such efforts tend to impoverish the development of wisdom. Propaganda, fascism, slavery, murder, rape - reasons exist why these behaviors appeal to us. I doubt that promoting ignorance of them prepares us well to avoid repeating them. The cause for purity, imho, appeals to people who expect others to not think well for themselves.

Ultimately what I want for DearS and Girls Bravo is that they not be boring. I anticipate they probably do play with sexist forms and conventions - but do they play with them intelligently? I'll respond to Cy's poll after I find out.

All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense. A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom.

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Quote by narutosakifuck... Girls Bravo and DearS are crazy good nigga~! fuck them bitches... FUCK those niggers!! FUCK THEM all~!!!!

Nice. Someones not going to be here long.

Thank you so much and I agree, Reviews are biased to a degree, its a personal opinion and yet it still doesn't grasp everything, its still done according to the reviewers tastes, which I try NOT to do when I review things. I rather look at the overall picture or for the genre. NOT about taste or if I hate fan service.

As for Girls Bravo, I've lost interest in the show completely, there is absolutely no plot going on and its just a bunch of crap, I'm sorry to say but I'm so dissapointed with the show. Not only have they showed me that a show can be made of simply nonsense, but it can also start to degrade itself and become boring -.-', I'm hoping that the next episode will redeem itself but I doubt it will.

As for DearS, I eagerly anticapted the final episode ^^.

Oh yes, if you've got Bittorrent go to

http://animesuki.com/series.php/452.html - Girls Bravo Torrents.

http://animesuki.com/series.php/451.html - DearS torrents.

Signature Image

for the ones that say they love girls bravo so much, plz tell me then how it is so good. whats put it over other romantic comedies : Kare Kano, Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, Chobits, Ah My Goddess, etc... im not gonna even say girls bravo is bad, im just saying its the worst romance comedy i have ever seen personally. so yea im not saying it sucks, im saying its horrible. also another thing people are saying is "are you in the mindset to enjoy the show". thtas utter crap imo, its plausable to say did you let the show takeover your emotions but that is not what people are saying. I wont say anything about DearS since i actually still enjoy the show even though the story is messed up but girls bravo on the otherhand is most possibly the most blatant fanservice i have seen in a while. when every girl no matter what there age has jugs the size of melons that defy all laws of physics with their amount of "bouncing" that is reason enough for me to basically stop watcing the show.

UndyingShadow

UndyingShadow

Snake Eater

Alright well since none of ya'll are gonna flame either shows, I guess I'll start it off. Well in my opinion I think Girl's Bravo does deserve a harsh review because that show is just plain lame and stupid. Like the recent episode...I think it was episode 8, where there were like millions of Miharus and those market people were trying to stop her. Ok, what the Hell was that all about? That has got to be one of the worst episodes I have ever seen, in fact that is probably the worst episode in anime history. God I felt that my IQ dropped from watching that episode. If you all recall, during that episode Yukinari was searching for the REAL Miharu, and the whole time he was searching for her, it just felt so lame and superficial. He says shit like 'I feel her, I know shes beyond there!' It's the most cliche thing I have heard, and in the context of the epiosde, it sounded even stupider. Oh christ you're an idiot Yukinari, you're a pussy that gets your ass kicked by some big tit childhood friend, get some fuckin balls and get a gun and shoot her, fuck I'm surprised he isn't dead yet with all the beatings he's been recieving. An then there's episode 9, the one about Risa and her past with some fuckin doll she made come to life. What the Hell is that all about? Does anyone care about Risa? She has got to be one of the dumbest characters in anime history. Who in the Hell believes in horoscopes, or even finding love in horoscopes? And in episode 9 she makes a doll come to life and she fuckin like adores the thing, isn't that the lamest situation ever? I mean after these episodes for some odd reason, I hated Yukinari, Mihuaru, and Risa. This then made me realize that I hate ALL the characters in Girls Bravo, which then lead me to realize that I hate Girl's Bravo. And by the way, DearS is infinitely better than Girl's Bravo. DearS is actually funny. The characters actually have SOME feeling, and are interesting. And I know that Girl's Bravo is an anime, and animes aren't necessarily meant to be realistic, but still this doesn't detract fromt he fact that Girl's Bravo sucks. Ok well these are just my ramblings and bitchin, it's a biased opinion, so don't get all pish posh with me.

Signature Image

darkzlevin

darkzlevin

Are We Who We Seem?

i swear to god who ever wrote that review either is having "that time of the month"*don't flame me for it* or their bf/gf had it with them. obviously if you read proper review they are better done. this is clearly the work of fangroups review. no one in their profession would clearly write that sort of review about an anime. even if its really bad =) but its all comes down to personal preferance ofcourse. i myself liked dears and girls bravo. there's nothing wrong with watching them. i m sure lots of people here liked koi kaza when i didn't like it one bit. there's no point of writing an anime you personally don't like. rather just comment abit on the storyline and stuff. dats my personal piece of mind to those writers =)

*runs and hides from flames from the people below*

SUPPORT MINITOKYO BY JOINING THEIR MIRC CHANNEL
#minitokyo @ irc.rizon.net

Signature

Cloudnine

neko mimi modo~!

I take all reviews with a grain of salt =p Though I have a pretty weird habit -- the more harsh the review, the more I actually want to see it XD That's exactly why I saw Alien vs. Predator even after knowing how horrible the review were ^^;;;

In the end, reviews can never measure "enjoyability" =p

D10

D10

Tsuki Possesed

It all actually depends on the person watching the show, what maybe enjoyable for mario is like poop to maria and all that. To see is to believe!

Quote by darkzlevini swear to god who ever wrote that review either is having &quot;that time of the month&quot;*don't flame me for it* or their bf/gf had it with them. obviously if you read proper review they are better done. this is clearly the work of fangroups review. no one in their profession would clearly write that sort of review about an anime. even if its really bad =) but its all comes down to personal preferance ofcourse. i myself liked dears and girls bravo. there's nothing wrong with watching them. i m sure lots of people here liked koi kaza when i didn't like it one bit. there's no point of writing an anime you personally don't like. rather just comment abit on the storyline and stuff. dats my personal piece of mind to those writers =) *runs and hides from flames from the people below*

so essentially your saying, people who didnt like a particular anime shouldnt review it. very interesting..... well then i guess by that, all the people that said Passion Of The Christ sucked should shut up, all the people who hate Bush and his administration should shut up. Both of those are kinds of reviews /crititiues am i right? so are those wrong too? is it wrong to say i hated a show when the thread is about whether you agree with the reviews or not, which essentially is asking if you liked or disliked a show? ok then the next time i dont like something ill just say IT sucks and not provide any backup cause people like you seem to be afraid to hear why we thought the show sucked. oh and btw, anime reviews are hardly ever "professional". unlike something like film critics who can actually study film, no one can study anime and almost ALL reviews ive seen are done by fans.

SamuraiHaruko

SamuraiHaruko

Butterfly

I've never seen the shows but I'm lost in it all I'm sorry CB-kun XD

Magically Delicious, yo.

BoneyCork

BoneyCork

Oshibori

I enjoy Girls Bravo more than DearS. I dont like the whole slave thing in DearS and it seems to have ripped some things off from chobits. At first, it seemed like a rival to chobits, but as the series progressed I dont think it even matches it, yet alone rivals it.
As for Girls Bravo, I enjoy it more because I just like Miharu....but it certainly wouldnt rank in any list of favourite anime because I've seen it all before in a million other series.

Signature

Bored? Read this.
Ok now find something else to do.

I haven't seen DearS yet..

but Girls Bravo was hilarious and I loved it..

ilovepinkhair

ilovepinkhair

O.o MAHAHAH

i know it's her opinon and all but i think it is kinda harsh O.O it's anime it's suposed to be entertain not to be taken literally i have seen dear s and i didn't find it offetive at all i found it really asuming and a good anime too bad it ened so soon :( i never seen girls bravo but i'm sure the anime isn't as bad as there making it out to be

:D hee hee hee hee

Urashima

The ULTRA Cute

I enjoyed both shows, it's a shame they were so short though.

artgeek12

artgeek12

the curious Art Fox

Not all shows have to be great in order to be enjoyable. I admit that Girls Bravo is contains cliched character types as well as the usual gags. I still enjoyed it to the point where I don't feel I wasted my time watching it. It's the same to me as purposely renting a bad movie that you know to be bad. If you are prepared for it or lack any expectations then I think you're ok.

DearS really was good though. Even I thought (after watching the first episode) that it was going to be a wannabe Chibits but it proved me wrong...in a very funny way! The character designs were cool (to me anyway).

Every is correct in saying that all "reviews" are biased since they really are just personal opinions. There is no definite truth in anime reviewing or life. We all read these reviews and absorb them or reject them according to how reliable we feel the source is. That's probably why I don't read movie reviews. :nya: I read the anime reviews though to hear others opinions. Even if they don't agree with mine at least they show some signs of independant thought....desho? :)

Artgeek12 - Proud member of NewWaveProject!
Signature
Organizer of the Olympiad Project, where everyone one is needed and welcome!

Hmmm I havent seen (or heard of ) Girls Bravo... I thought DearS was allright. I liked the artwork more than anything else about it. I guess its just different people different taste.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.