Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Desktop Buddy? - Minitokyo

Desktop Buddy?

page 1 of 1 21 total items

Err question...where do i get these?
some1 from another forum posted this and idk where to get them
plxz reply T_T

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd56/unknowndark/XD-10.jpg

Just get Rainmeter like I have, helluva more useful than those desktop buddies that clutter up your screen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/mistergua/th_Untitled-2.jpg

Google for rainmeter and go to customize.com for skins, you might wanna get rainlendar and quickchanger while you're at it. All customizable with anime skins.

IronSerpent

Evanescence...

NOTE ::This post refers to a post by Kokuyu, which has since been deleted for the safety of the any who may have followed the link without reading the entire thread. It was a bogus site that hosted installable downloads that, when installed, installed a virus payload.

While I hope nobody went to the site and installed the widgets they had, if anybody did, you would be well-advised to give your computer a very thorough scanning.

Original message was as follows:

I will give you a warning, that one of the more popular "desktop buddies" companies out there, Oska Software's "Deskmates" are bundled with two very bad bits of adware, and one not-so-bad bit.

Take it from experience (I bought one many years ago, while they were still new and unusual and before they went hyper-sexual with them) and had nothing but trouble after installing it. Even uninstalling it did nothing until I did a very thorough system cleaning.

If you're going to look into desktop buddies, avoid Oska Software's, and be very, very careful about the ones you do end up going with eventually. In a case like this, Google is your friend, and a very good friend it will be. Research, research and research before you download and install (especially if you are going to pay for one).

Check this link for a short write-up from the creators of Spybot: Search and Destroy about Oska's Deskmates, if you want a little bit more info.

Edit :: I really, really want to urge caution with that neon-evolution site, as the only two pages working on it are the desktop buddies page and the IE skins (all other pages return 404, does not exist). All require installation and, in addition, the file sizes of those things make me nervous.

The files are much too small to be much more than static images, and I'm not even sure they are large enough to provide the code needed to sit on specific areas on a desktop and I know for certain that they are too small to offer any real functionality with popping up on menus and such.

I tried installing one under WINE, and got nothing, but I did have an unusual executable with a gibberish name that did nothing and attempted to hide itself.

I fully realize that WINE is hardly the be-all, end-all for Windows simulators, but I don't have a virtual machine installed on my laptop to really check the things out thoroughly.

I would strongly caution AGAINST doing anything with those until you've done some major research into them.

Not only that, but the site is hosted on what appears to be a free web hosting site. I have never heard of Supanet, but they provide "free 90 day hosting trial" with no obligations to continue after. Unfortunately, there is no real way to check when a particular domain under such a company began.

Once again, I would STRONGLY recommend against doing anything with those desktop buddies from the linked site.

I may try to do a bit of research into the site later, and if I feel like it, I may try setting some of those things up running in a virtual machine, but from the current standing, I don't trust them one bit.

Calling a sword by a pretty name is no more than adding perfume to poison.

priincess

priincess

?doing fun

i had this ^^ but mine arent anime, juzt animals like sheep, cats.

merged: 03-29-2008 ~ 12:47pm
found this
http://www.keiichianimeforever.com/boards/thread,53902.0.html?sess=4fc8b8250e83e45d58d5858f52dfd630&#entry1483440

was it u who posted the buddy desktop?

Signature

You just have to look at the clues within the screen shot that you provided. ;)

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/764/negifo1.th.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6492/hootdahxr4.th.jpg

Quote by priincess

was it u who posted the buddy desktop?

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing, both have the same user name.

Signature

priincess

priincess

?doing fun

oow..i got viruses bcoz of it

Signature

zaira

zaira

call me tuna!

LOL well i've got only 1! cool prinnies from Disgaea!
they'll just walk in your screen but if you click on them some of them burst our
and some are fighting using their spoons and forks XD XD
though i dont know where i've got them since its been 2 years that i DL is somewhere... ^_^'

Signature
soul-eater-shibusen sword-shana-lily tsubasa clampfans

kokuyu

kokuyu

.:~Mugunghwa Traveler ~:.

Quote by IronSerpentI will give you a warning, that one of the more popular "desktop buddies" companies out there, Oska Software's "Deskmates" are bundled with two very bad bits of adware, and one not-so-bad bit.

Take it from experience (I bought one many years ago, while they were still new and unusual and before they went hyper-sexual with them) and had nothing but trouble after installing it. Even uninstalling it did nothing until I did a very thorough system cleaning.

If you're going to look into desktop buddies, avoid Oska Software's, and be very, very careful about the ones you do end up going with eventually. In a case like this, Google is your friend, and a very good friend it will be. Research, research and research before you download and install (especially if you are going to pay for one).

Check this link for a short write-up from the creators of Spybot: Search and Destroy about Oska's Deskmates, if you want a little bit more info.

Edit :: I really, really want to urge caution with that neon-evolution site, as the only two pages working on it are the desktop buddies page and the IE skins (all other pages return 404, does not exist). All require installation and, in addition, the file sizes of those things make me nervous.

The files are much too small to be much more than static images, and I'm not even sure they are large enough to provide the code needed to sit on specific areas on a desktop and I know for certain that they are too small to offer any real functionality with popping up on menus and such.

I tried installing one under WINE, and got nothing, but I did have an unusual executable with a gibberish name that did nothing and attempted to hide itself.

I fully realize that WINE is hardly the be-all, end-all for Windows simulators, but I don't have a virtual machine installed on my laptop to really check the things out thoroughly.

I would strongly caution AGAINST doing anything with those until you've done some major research into them.

Not only that, but the site is hosted on what appears to be a free web hosting site. I have never heard of Supanet, but they provide "free 90 day hosting trial" with no obligations to continue after. Unfortunately, there is no real way to check when a particular domain under such a company began.

Once again, I would STRONGLY recommend against doing anything with those desktop buddies from the linked site.

I may try to do a bit of research into the site later, and if I feel like it, I may try setting some of those things up running in a virtual machine, but from the current standing, I don't trust them one bit.

you get it right. and to back up this, here's a real evidence:

the Pikachu desktop buddy in the neon-evolution may seem harmless even after days of use. but what we don't realize is it carries a trojan virus in it. once you activate the Pikachu, it activates the trojan too. what is trojan's deathly function, i'm not sure yet. but for sure it kills computer.

here's how you can find out:
that website which has the Pikachu desktop buddy.

once it's activated, check the Windows Task Manager (click Ctrl & Alt and then Del together) Look at the Processes section, and search for Pikachu thing. (btw, even its spelling is wrong: Picachu, instead of Pikachu)
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o220/kokuyu/list.jpg
you'll find it does not have size usage. then there's another thing: wowexec.exe. Originally, it is part of computer stuffs, but there's a catch:

Quote: It's a virus/trojan if there is a space before the name. Use Task Manager, Processes, click under User Name to sort by your account name; processes you have loaded appear in a nice list. You'll see one of two things if this is loaded:
without the quotes

" wowexec.exe" the Trojan
"wowexec.exe" the Microsoft driver which allows you to run 16 bit programs and browser extensions in 32 and 64 bit systems.

I had to shell to DOS to delete it from windows\system\dllcache, as it would not allow itself to be deleted otherwise. In the process, though, I lost the real (read, good) one.

foraminut

source: http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/wowexec-exe-trojan-virus-ftopict556825.html

and well......my fool ^_^' finally i've delete it already :D
thanks very much IronSerpent for your warning :)

-"Life is more than just one, & nothing's more important than One"-
Signature

IronSerpent

Evanescence...

Just to clarify, I ran a couple of those under a virtual machine, and got similar results.

The desktop buddies on the site linked by Kokuyu are a trojan horse for a virus payload and should not be downloaded in any way (in fact, I wouldn't even risk visiting the site on a Windows computer just for the sake of safety).

In addition, Kokuyu, I might suggest deleting the links to the site from your two posts, just to help protect any n00bs who happen by, think "i want!1" and download them without reading the thread.

kokuyu

kokuyu

.:~Mugunghwa Traveler ~:.

yup, edited and deleted already. :)

sorry for my ignorance >.>

-"Life is more than just one, & nothing's more important than One"-
Signature

priincess

priincess

?doing fun

i got trojan T.T

Signature

IronSerpent

Evanescence...

I would suggest you take a look into a good antivirus program, then.
AvastAV (found here) for pretty solid all-around protection and real-time scanning, or Kaspersky (found here, if you are willing to spend some money for even better protection).

I could give you a few more suggestions (including the best antivirus you can get) but something tells me you aren't ready for behemoths and leviathans such as ClamAV or NOD32, both of which are a bit more confusing and difficult compared to Avast and Kaspersky).

Quote by IronSerpentI would suggest you take a look into a good antivirus program, then.
AvastAV (found here) for pretty solid all-around protection and real-time scanning, or Kaspersky (found here, if you are willing to spend some money for even better protection).

I could give you a few more suggestions (including the best antivirus you can get) but something tells me you aren't ready for behemoths and leviathans such as ClamAV or NOD32, both of which are a bit more confusing and difficult compared to Avast and Kaspersky).

AVG free is a good choice also.

As for "the best" antivirus... all OS including linux will and can get viruses. The best way to protect yourself is by using common sense!

Also if you know how to use linux then good for you, but it does not mean the mass majority will know how to use it. According to a mag I've read the editor stated "linux assumes too much knowledge from the end user".

End user as in the regular consumer 99% of what the business relies on to make MONEY,

not the 1% that knows linux coding. So cut this linux crap!

If linux fixes their 3 key flaws, then I'm all happy to jump in.

Sorry for the slight out of topic.

Signature

IronSerpent

Evanescence...

Unfortunately, AVG is becoming less effective. It is so widely used, that malware writers are testing their bits against it now to improve their chances of getting by it. The same happened with McAffey and Norton, as well as a few other now-useless AV systems.

As for Ubuntu Linux, it was a very slight joke, a single phrase in two paragraphs; hardly something to get so worked up over. And, just to continue the off-topic paragraph here, what you said was spoken like a person who has either never used any Linux distribution, or has not used on in the last six or seven years. Don't buy into the MS hype around it -- a clueless user can use several Linux systems without ever having to touch a bit of code (of these, Ubuntu tends to be the easiest).

As for a virus on a Linux system? There are currently no viruses or other malware that work on a Linux distribution in the wild. There have only been a very small handful (less than a dozen, actually) that were created to actually be used, as opposed to proof-of-concept malware developed in secure labs. The few bits of malware that exist as an actual threat are so outdated, they barely work on modern Linux distributions any more, if they work at all.

Furthermore, the Linux kernel (Linux is not an OS, it is an OS kernel, much like Windows is the OS, not the OS kernel) is designed so that the most any bit of malware could ever do without being given express permission by the user (something that a clueless person would be unable to give) is mess up the OS partition. As long as the user opts to put their data and OS on separate partitions (the default for most Linux distributions nowadays), all the user would have to do is reinstall the OS; their data would still be sitting there, happy as can be, on a separate partition without ever even knowing the OS got a virus.

So cut the FUD crap! Very few Linux distributions are difficult to get into any more. Please do a little bit of research before spouting off about how bad the Linux-based OS's are, and please do even more research before going on about how bad the Linux kernel is.

Anyway, I agree: enough off-topic chat. If you want to debate further, start a new thread about it, or send me a PM.

Did I say linux was bad? Nope you thought I did because I said "cut this linux crap".
It seems your the one that hasn't do any god damn research on how the business model works.

Most people in the corporate world likes to get their jobs done and then get the hell out. They don't have time to learn all of this. And since you like to do coding then good for you but as I've mentioned in one of my previous post, Linux is not ready for the mainstream. The average user is not ready for linux!
If linux has a centralized support (a place where people can call for help), drivers and installations methods based on Windows or Mac, and it's user friendly, then I'll be the first one to support linux all the way. As of now that ain't going to happen until they decided think about the average consumer.

Quote by ME I've ran linux before, Ubuntu (also Suse and Sayabon) and in order for me to install a simple video card driver requires that I have a Masters degree in spaghetti coding. And after 5 hours on the linux forums, wikis and other sources that might help me sort out this issue, I say to myself fu8k it! Since I already got my 3D effects I don't need a driver update.

Speaking of this 3D effect, linux lacks centralized support. In order for me to enable Beryl (their name has changed to something else). I had to go through loads of sites dependent from one another in order to make it work and if one site is dead then it's back to square one. Not only that I had to do compiling and other nonsense coding just to have my 3D effects.

In the end after spending hours and hours just to install 2 simple softwares. It made me realized running linux is a waste of energy and time. And If I had trouble doing these 2 simple things, then think about those that barely knows how to operate a computer. What are they going to get? A heart attack, high blood pressure or maybe sudden death?

Seriously if linux wants to capture the masses like Windows and Mac, then they better have a centralized support, easy to install drivers, and make the entire OS easy to use for everyone not just for those that knows spaghetti coding. If they can't even fix these 3 simple flaws and get their ignorant minds (Linus Torvald) to think about the average consumer, then all linux can do is to continue to suck eggs.

Signature

IronSerpent

Evanescence...

Really? Hours and hours, and loads of sites?

To get Beryl (now CompizFusion, after Beryl and Compiz merged), all I had to do was go click on Add/Remove programs, type 'beryl' into the search box, and click 'install'.

From there, I just opened the GUI control panel (the graphical control panel, for those not in "the know"), clicked on the effects I wanted, hit apply, and closed the control panel. Worked like a charm. Not even five minutes from start to finish.

And coding for Beryl? Only if you want some very, very advanced and custom effects. The Cube that everybody has seen on YouTube and other sites? That's a checkbox (actually, three, I think: one for enabling more desktops, one for moving to the other desktops by moving the mouse to the end of the screen, and one for making those desktops into the cube while being moved. Don't quote me on that, though, as it has been a while since I last had to do anything with it, since Linux is so wonderfully stable).

Ah, yes, and stability, that brings us to things such as drivers. A quick Google search finds the overwhelming majority of the drivers you need, often with hand-holding on how to set them up. As long as you can read and follow instructions, you'll be fine.

I should also note, I don't know much about programming. I'm a web designer, but I leave the major programming (PHP, Databases, stuff like that) up to the other departments. Mine deals almost exclusively with (X)HTML, CSS and a very, very tiny amount of JavaScript (just enough to get the XML working).

And... Linux not having the programs it needs is not the fault of the Linux distributions, it is the fault of those who make those programs. A pretty large chunk of people would switch to Linux, for example, if Adobe made their products available on more than just Mac and Windows. Gamers, for the most part, would switch were the big games available for Linux (WoW comes to mind).

It's a rather nasty downward spiral: People won't switch until they have the programs they need (Adobe, Games, etc), but the companies won't make the programs for the system until the people are there.

One can hardly claim Linux is at fault for that.

And... who is talking about corporations? I never once mentioned them, or money. I was referring to the every-day users (which you are not, if you are capable of programming any at all, or even understanding what "drivers" are). For the every-day Joe and Jane, who just want to surf the net, check their email, chat with friends, play a few games common to every computer regardless of OS (Solitaire, FreeCell, those sorts of games which are still painfully overplayed, or online Flash-based games which seem to be quite popular right now), Linux distributions are more than enough.

Each OS has its own niche, though. Right now, if people were to magically be given and use the OS that was best suited for them, businesses and corporations would use Windows, artisans and designers would be using Macs and programmers and every-day users would be using Linux.

And don't bother mentioning drivers again, considering they are really only an issue on the smaller and less-supported distributions or on bleeding-edge hardware. On the big-named distributions, such as Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, RedHat, MEPIS, Knoppix, SUSE, these all have very few driver issues (unless, again, dealing with unlikely conditions such as bleeding-edge hardware).

It has been said before, and I'll say it again: the people with the most trouble switching to Linux are the Windows power-users, not the everyday Joe and Jane users. Unfortunately, those everyday users never really have the chance to learn this, since they don't know enough about computers in the first place to make the switch.

The new version of Ubuntu lets you enable Compiz Fusion with a click of a button, but the older version of Ubuntu does not have this option and thus you'll have to search from sites on how to do it. The instruction was pretty straight forward and I don't have a problem with that. The only problem is the dependencies of the codes that spread through out various links and when one link is dead then it's back to sqaure one.

As I've mentioned to you, I can't run the newest version of Ubuntu due to hardware compatibility issues as soon as I get that fix, then I'll give the new Ubuntu another try.

And seriously you need to get your head out of the ground and take a look at what's around you. To say hardware issues is for those with bleed-edge hardware truly tells me how thick headed and ignorant you really are.

Why wouldn't Adobe designed their software to work on Ubuntu or other distributions? The simple answer to that is there is no demand for them to do so. Linux is not a user friendly OS compare to Windows and Mac. If enough demands are there then you see Adobe creating a version specifically to run on a linux platform.

Heck maybe they already have it locked away in a vault and ready to be released once linux captures a chunk of the market.

And to stop wasting my time arguing with a person who thinks
apples, oranges, and bananas taste exactly the same.

These links supports my point.
LINUX IS NOT READY FOR MAINSTREAM!

http://tinyurl.com/572rda
http://tinyurl.com/5uf7hm
http://tinyurl.com/2uarru
http://tinyurl.com/2nowl9

To the OP I apologize that this way out of topic, but to create a topic of it's own not only introduces flame war it will most likely be closed in a matter of seconds.

Signature

Rayzi

Rayzi

Is it anime? Then no.

So, now that I've read all of this, and am afraid to click any of the links, is the rainmeter safe? And is the link from priincess safe? These things interest me, since cluttering my desktop with crud seems to be a hobby of mine. ^_^'

IronSerpent

Evanescence...

Rainmeter is very safe. It is an excellent application, especially when you start getting deep into it.
Their calendar and desktop sidebar are also quite good (I used to always use their sidebar until I started messing with embedded desktop aps).

Give me a little bit of time to look over the link from priincess and I'll let you know what I find.

merged: 04-05-2008 ~ 09:01am
At first glance, they seem all right, but they don't appear to run fully in WINE, and all of the text is in Japanese.

The ones that did run in WINE were just little images with only a couple of frames of animation (a single-frame for things such as scowling, smiling, laughing, etc). They talked (again, in Japanese) but only with a couple of phrases.

I didn't see anything suspicious, but as I said before, WINE is hardly a Windows emulator.

I can't pull up a virtual machine to test them right now, unfortunately, but from first glance, they seem safe.

Even so, I would still recommend Rainmeter, as it is far more versatile, offers a lot of useful widgets and has some very fancy custom skins.

Rainmeter (Rainlendar) is here.

Rayzi

Rayzi

Is it anime? Then no.

Hmmm, sounds like fun to play around with! Thanks for checking for me, if I ever, EVER get even the smallest thing on this computer, my mom flips out at me and panics. T.T Which would explain my over-cautious-ness in picking the links I press. -_-'

sry if i disapeared for awhile lol...went to the beach XD
Anyway
Err any1 got more? XD
@KeiichiAnime Forum yeah thats me..i was hoping some1 would reply cause im looking for Shakugan no Shana desktop Buddys -_-...so far no1 returned the favor
And about the virus thing
I kinda trust Windows Gold Service Pack 2 Edition and its got File Protection and i dont get viruses with it ^^..ive got KAV7 and they dont give me virus so yeah im not afraid of viruses lol...thats why ill get my fill off desktop buddys
http://www.animea.net/forums/images/smilies/XD.gif

Edit:Any1 got Shakugan no Shana?http://www.animea.net/forums/images/smilies/wakuwaku.gif
Me any my Anime forum needs it badly lol
their dying for it XD

Edit Again:Btw guyz im looking for ANIME desktop buddys http://www.animea.net/forums/images/smilies/XD.gif XD ^^

page 1 of 1 21 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.