Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 On Unbelief. - Minitokyo

Which is more preferable to God?

superficial belief
4 votes
honest unbelief
28 votes

Only members can vote.

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 68 total items

Quote by priincess

Quote: Also the bible was written by people not God.

THAT were guided by God.

So you admit that it was not written by God, but by people and that God only guided them. Now would it be possible for a person to believe that God is guiding them when God is not? As in a suicide bomber blowing themselves up for Allah. So I think the question now is whether we trust that the people claiming to have been guided by God are trustworthy.

priincess

priincess

?doing fun

Quote: Now would it be possible for a person to believe that God is guiding them when God is not?

lol. God never makes mistakes, who do you think wrote those letters? the prophets that were trusted by God. they knew Him closely and all they did are only for God. so if they wrote those letters, it must be God who told them, then they did. God never let them loose their ways, so,.. if they spread His lesson-by write it or speak- the Holy Spirit inside them guided so that they never say wrong things, including.. write wrong things.

Signature

samu02

Back to Basics

None.

If you were to say to two friends that you have seen it rain fish, and one condescendingly flatters you by saying he believes you (because he doesn't want you upset) while the other vehemently calls you a liar and should no longer be trusted, what would you feel for them both?

In my opinion, the choices in the poll are cynical and unfair. It did not include true belief. And I think that people would be basing their arguments on those cynical choices that have been included there. This makes the poll biased and unfair for those who really do believe in God (even though He has not chosen to reveal himself in a way as to eliminate all doubt of His existence).

(Honestly it should be okay to question your own faith; it is why we have been given thinking minds to reason with. But to not only question other people's beliefs but innately think that it is foolish and a waste of time, I think it is just a means of "polishing" one's ego, believing that your better off than the person that has belief)

Sam: Hey guys I just saw fishes falling down from the sky! It was incredible! There were tunas and salmons and...

John: Oh! Fish. Right. *cough* That could happen *snicker*. Here's the oxygen tank, I think you need some since the air is thin way up here in the mountains. Its raining fishes *thumbs up* We believe you.

Sam: *blinks* Huh?

Dave: What a dolt! Raining fishes, you say! I think you've had one puff too many my friend. Honestly can't you do anything better with your time than making up childish stories! It's why you never had any girlfriend up till now!

Sam: Hey! you crossed the line! *hits Dave on the head with a live fish* Screw you guys!

Dave: A... fish?! We're on a mountain right?

John: Weird...

"If faced with a life or death situation, an average person would choose life; a hero also chooses life, just not for himself"
"Knowledge is Power. But Power unused accomplishes nothing"
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/11.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

NONE of the above.

Who can stand a superficial person at job, at school, even at a party?

Well, I remembered something from Revelation: I know your deeds, that you're neither cold nor hot. I wish you were one or the another...

Sounds like honest disbelief would be the best attitude, but that becomes a pretext to look only after one's self, and to not care about the other people. And the base of all the New Testament is precisely that.

"Honest disbelief" then, leads you to the same place as the first "choice": superficiality, shallowness

zazuge

Perv

I don't want to talk about religious stuff her.
but i think portraying God as some person or human is chovinistic
I'm more inclined to the philosophical view of a universal mind God a transcending
existence or (no-existence) a God who is the root of existence itself (the origin )
a God with limited power and knowledge and with flaws isn't God at all
so I do not believe in half-gods (because black holes are way more mightier)
and who knows maybe we are philosophical zombies living inside a simulation (matrix anyone?)

Belive me and DIE !

Nice discussion! This is why I've always liked this forum and the City Hall and movies. Better than the slap, punch, huge and throw. Congratulations to the people that earn their points with something larger than a single line.

I DON'T think there COULD BE something such as an "HONEST disbelief".

I mean, I can choose not to believe in black holes, dark matter, pararel universes, your or my own existence, sayayins or faeries (sorry, Tinkerbell)... and where is the "honest" element in that?

I have tried to traslate that to plain Englih (and Spanish), and I think it's a comfortable excuse to not get asriuos compromise with family, folks next door, the comunity or Humanity.

There, it doesn't only lack honesty, but also meaning in your life and your own capacity to love.

There's no point in discussing, like beyondmeasure insists, on the nature of God, or how stupid we're for having an imaginary friend, if we have not tried first to get to other people's needs (that clould be deeper and sadder than we can imagine).

I could study the whole Bible and the Coran and the teaches of Budda and it will be useless if I don't practice mercifullness, charity, understanding. If I don't go out of my comfy house and PRACTICE LOVE, everything I could learn and know means nothing.

After that, we could know if God truly exists. And maybe we can find out that God's hands, ears, eyes, feet and mouth that work miracles are WE. Then, after that, we can start studying the Bible.

Revelation 3:15-16 reveals the answer that God provides (if you believe the Bible is divinely inspired).

15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!
16 So, because you are lukewarm

TreeFarieAaliyah

TreeFarieAaliyah

Midnight Princess

I think that God would prefer honest disbelief. But then again, it depends on which God you're talking about. In some religions, God punishes both the fake believers and the nonbelievers. In others, the punishment is different for each. I think no matter what, according to what some religions state: you're still screwed.

"Everyone hears what you say. Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don't say."

beyondmeasure

From the mind comes the query.

Quote by Kelvins-ChoiceRevelation 3:15-16 reveals the answer that God provides (if you believe the Bible is divinely inspired).

15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!

Quote by Kelvins-ChoiceRevelation 3:15-16 reveals the answer that God provides (if you believe the Bible is divinely inspired).

beyondmeasure

I mean, I can choose not to believe in black holes, dark matter, pararel universes, your or my own existence, sayayins or faeries (sorry, Tinkerbell)... and where is the "honest" element in that?

Good query.

Hadn't thought of that before.

You could deny the existence of black holes, or of tables, or of France... but what does it matter? They all exist!

What about God?

The honest unbeliever in my opinion is more preferable. But this question also depends on the personality of this god. Are we talking about a kind and loving being that appreciates honesty and intelligence? Or are we talking about something like Kim Jong Il? Remember in N. Korea he's considered to be a god.

superficial belief

samu02

Back to Basics

Quote by beyondmeasure The query's rather simple:

If God exists at all, although he has not chosen to reveal himself in such a way as to eliminate all doubt, which would be more preferable to him:

A. superficial belief, the kind which some belong, the kind of people who, out of fear of reprisal or who are simply not bothered by affliation, stick to their religion, without really caring about it; OR

B. honest, outright unbelief, one which pulls out all the stops, condemns God and so on?

Which would be more preferable?

Neither.

A is a fake and a wuss, which is annoying.

B is a pigheaded person who likes to contradict just because, which is also annoying.

God can do without both of them. It's not as if He needs us to believe in Him, it's just gonna be waste (for us) if we didn't because we'll be missing out in the power given in having REAL belief and REAL hope in something beyond us.

"If faced with a life or death situation, an average person would choose life; a hero also chooses life, just not for himself"
"Knowledge is Power. But Power unused accomplishes nothing"
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/11.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

The Bible is the very prove of the existence of GOD...

beyondmeasure

Quote by LewisJayThe Bible is the very prove of the existence of GOD...

I love it when faith-heads wave their holied books about, ignoring even the existence of other holied books.

Oh, deer.

merged: 02-04-2010 ~ 01:36pm

Quote by glenn719The honest unbeliever in my opinion is more preferable. But this question also depends on the personality of this god. Are we talking about a kind and loving being that appreciates honesty and intelligence? Or are we talking about something like Kim Jong Il? Remember in N. Korea he's considered to be a god.

Kim as God? Not really, but the treatment's tautologically the same, so never ye mind.

Of course I was careless enough to leave his personality to the domain of crows. My bad. Of course we'll all prefer a deity who's intelligent enough to appreciate the fact that by giving his creation free will, they'll eventually question his very existence.

i agree with yothsothgoth

kyubichan

kyubichan

Mobile Blackhole

This reminds me of The Chronicles of Narnia.

I say "honest unbelief".

~__~ How can unbelief be honest though, if one is seeking for explanations that can somehow, possibly, alter that unbelief? That shows that the unbeliever doubts his own unbelief.

Because yes!

beyondmeasure

Quote by kyubichanThis reminds me of The Chronicles of Narnia.

I say "honest unbelief".

~__~ How can unbelief be honest though, if one is seeking for explanations that can somehow, possibly, alter that unbelief? That shows that the unbeliever doubts his own unbelief.

I am a writer, and regularly proofread my work and check my sources before I print them. Does it mean, then, that I doubt the grammatical correctness and veracity of my opus?

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 68 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.