Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 BIOS Not Installed Error - Minitokyo

BIOS Not Installed Error

page 1 of 1 5 total items

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

I have a nearly brand new Dell pc I was using and one day upon reboot I got that error message saying "BIOS Not Installed". Now I searched all over the place to see if other people had my problem, I could only find people having similiar problems using XP and I'm using Vista Home Premium. So after trying my hand at it for awhile I ended up returning to Best Buy where I purchased the computer to let the Geek Squad fix it. Well they couldn't figure it out in house so they sent it out to where ever their main house is at. Turns out they replaced my hard drive? Why on earth would they replace my Hard Drive for a BIOS problem? Isn't the bios on the motherboard? I have apparently lost nearly 200gb of information some of which I had no second copy of, some things I probably dont know what I lost.

So just tell me, there is a reason why they would replace my hard drive in relation to the BIOS.

(Did I mention when they shipped it back they broke the damn thing, and now I'm waiting to see if they are going to replace it or repair it AGAIN!)

carlozzzzbr

carlozzzzbr

Otaku-freak soldier

BIOS is on the motherboard, never heard of that problem. But installing a new bios would fix the problem.

try searching with ur motherboard's name for a bios.

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Geek squad is famous for completely botching computer repairs and breaking / losing more than they fix. They probably say "not installed" and figured it had to be something on the hard drive.

That aside, the bios is on the motherboard and probably got corrupted. I would have tried pulling the power and motherboard battery (which keep the clock running), to see if that helps. If not, find the CMOS reset jumper and try clearing it.

If it's still not working, then you'll probably need a new motherboard. In the old days motherboards had removable bios chips, but they don't do that these days (that I am aware of).

Maybe you can get support directly from Dell?

Signature Image

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Yeah I pulled the battery but that did not work and I could not find the jumper to reset it. Basically right now I'm just trying to confirm what I already know that the BIOS is not on the hard drive and in fact has nothing to do with my problem.

The more I think about it the more pissed off I get. So I'm going to ask them why specifically they had to replace my hard drive and cause all my data to be lost. In fact, since it was under a factory warranty they should have automatically backed up my hard drive I think, not just slap a new one in. Hell I even had to bring them MY restore disk!?!

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/6262/t265414-no-device-detected-bios-not-installed-message-on-boot/
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000692.htm
there are some insights on the issue. i guess they're true, though i haven't experienced this myself. but here are some rough points:
- the bios itself had no problem, so the error message was hideously wrong
- the 'geeks' should have prompted you for backup, or just do it.
- if you had done some more manoeuvres yourself, you might have reached a much better result
- but now you know what to ask for next time...
- ASK THEM TO TRACK DOWN your failed harddrive and do the data recovery. THEY CAN DO THAT, tracking it down as well as recovering the data

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.