Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 With the Light. Dicussion on non mainstream Manga. - Minitokyo

With the Light. Dicussion on non mainstream Manga.

What do you think of With the Light? (1 worst - 5 Best )

0 votes
0 votes
0 votes
0 votes
1 votes
Never Read It
0 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 3 total items

Jei-sama

Jei-sama

Is made of Soy Beans

Valentines day '08 I received a book from a good friend of mine. I had spotted this book because of it's size ( 5 3/4 in x 8 1/2 in / About 527 pages, and 1 1/2 inches thick. Thats a big book.), and thought it might be a good read because it wasn't like your regular manga. There are no magical girls, no mecha, no transforming, so secret plot to destroy anything, no anarchy in the government, no ninjas, no shinigami, and no half naked girls who like to bounce around. Basicaly it's like no other translated manga in todays market.

With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child, is a book about a mother, Sachiko Azuma, who just gave birth to her baby boy Hikaru, meaning "to be bright." (A running theme that seems to come up very often in this manga.) Sachiko soon finds out that Hikaru is autistic, her husband threatens to leave her, his family blames her for his disorder, and no matter where she turns Sachiko can't find anyone to help her.

When it seems like Sachiko should finally just give up everything seems to suddenly take a turn for the better. With the right information, the right doctors, and the right help Sachiko is able to repair her marriage and begin raising Hikaru with the help of her husband, and many other helping hands.

I'm not going to lie. I cried several times while reading the first two book. I'm in love with this story because it's heart-warming, and inspirational. I can't wait to read the next book in the series. I find myself reserving the next book Four months in advance, and I speed all the way to the book store to get. (i made the hour trip in about 35 minutes one day o.o I scolded myself big time >.<)

This manga is like nothing I've ever read before. I would like to see more manga about real topics like this; because personally, as much as I love Bleach, Death Note, and God Child With the Light defiantly tops them all.

So Discuss:
Non Mainstream Manga or Manga that isn't like today's popular market.

That sounds really nice. I think I'll have to check out With the Light. :)

Right now I'm reading Suppli, it's about a woman working in an advertising company. She's a bit of a workaholic and the story is basically her struggle to balance her work life and social life. Very normal stuff.

Another one is Train Man, which is actually based off of a true story about an otaku who is trying to get this girl and he goes online for help. (personally I liked the movie version better, though...)

I hope there's other good recs in this here thread... :D

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

Jei-sama

Jei-sama

Is made of Soy Beans

Train man sounds like a movie i say bits and pieces from (you said you like the movie better) called -something i forget- Otaku in Love. It was about this otaku guy, who was in love with this Mangaka girl or something... >.< Is this that movie? or must I continue my search?

page 1 of 1 3 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.