Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Changes: Getting older or getting weirder? - Minitokyo

Changes: Getting older or getting weirder?

Changes happen because....

We make them happen
5 votes
Randomness in the universe
0 votes
Others make them happen
0 votes
Its all in your perception of things
7 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

yothsothgoth

yothsothgoth

You came along and cut me loose

((I wanted to put this out as a discussion/lamentation/rant/express your feelings kind of thread...
I hope its okay... since its how I've been feeling lately.))

Okay. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy or something. I've noticed how things have changed since I was a child... I've gone back to places where I spent a lot of time as a child and noticed how things have changed (trees larger, trees gone, places disappeared, the teachers are older, the desks are smaller, etc). I've found it quite depressing if I put too much thought into it. It almost makes me think that those things have changed even though they haven't really... its me who has changed. Know the feeling?

I know we all age and things around us will change too, but doesn't it seem sad? Does anyone feel the same way sometimes?

Another note:
Recently I've noticed that the constellations have moved since I was a child. Are we in a new orbit or something? Now I know the constellations move during different times of the year... and I'm taking that into account. I haven't moved, so why is the big and little dipper (ursa major and minor) in different places than I remember them when I was a child (and I mean seriously different places)? Even the summer triangle has moved too. I asked my dad and he said they seem different to him as well... he said even different than a few years ago. Does anyone know anything about that? Has anyone else noticed that too?

All of us getting older, things changing... does anyone feel like time just passes us by?
Our childhoods, adulthoods... passing us by so fast?
Does anyone else feel like this?

...perhaps I'm getting weirder in my 'old' age... ?

Kori

Kori

Eternally Frozen in Time

About the constellations, the universe is in constant expansion, meaning that two bodies, like two stars, that seem close to each other in the night sky, like the constellations, will in the end not look the same. The constellations you see now, haven't always existed, and they looked differently for those who lived in the Ancient Rome, and will look differently for people in the future. This expansion also means that although the Speed of Light at 3x10^8 m/s is the fastest we know, in space, light actually travels a bit faster than that due to the expansion. Personally I find it very cool.

And why does change have to be depressing. Sure, changes make you nostalgic, but things can never be the same. Instead of looking at it with sad thoughts, why not with happy ones? If it hadn't been for changes, our world would never develop, our society would never be as it is today and perhaps neither would we. Without changes, we would never grow as persons either.

Signature Image

yothsothgoth

yothsothgoth

You came along and cut me loose

Not all changes are bad, I know that. I encourage change... for the better. I think what I meant was that the changes from when you were a child to how you are now. The fact that you realize those changes are proof that you've grown. Though, to me... changes from my childhood and how the world is now... those changes still are sad in a way.

Also, with the contellations... in 15 years... they shouldn't change THAT much, right? :\

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I use to feel sad because of this or that disappearing, but then it hit me, one cannot halt progress, those who dwell on this will merely end of suffering mentally and physically...I have learned to go with the flow :)

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Northy

Northy

Guys are human as well.

Personally, I'm actually happy that things change, evolve and generally live alongside you. Because that means that the longer I live, the more memories I can make and bring with me.

You'll always miss things you liked -- that's just the way it is -- but you can always just bring whatever lessons you picked up from those memories and put them to use in the future.

Kori

Kori

Eternally Frozen in Time

Quote by yothsothgothAlso, with the contellations... in 15 years... they shouldn't change THAT much, right? :\

Well, I can't say because I don't know how you see it, but 15 years shouldn't have any noticeable effects, unless you involve mathematics.

Signature Image

Northy

Northy

Guys are human as well.

A human being's lifetime won't have any noticeable effects on how we view constellations, unless we somehow learn how to extend our spans to thousands upon thousands of years.

The changes that we each make to our own lives effects the changes of others in our lives and that results in an effect of other people's lives so the single change one person makes effects others all around.

And on the constellations and all the reason that they appear different is the fact that stars go out suns explode and such and as years go by that light vanishes from the universe or at least to our planets point of view.

ttwen

ttwen

somebody

changes, nostalgic - yes. depressed - no.
but i feel old already.

my, peterpan syndrome...

but changes are not that bad, sometimes changes help you to develop into... well, something new! :D

well i do scared of changes somehow but i'll try to cope with it and enjoy it somehow or it you'll gonna waste a lot of time to be depressed about changes.

LordEndervonHellsing

LordEndervonHellsing

Spirit of Sparta

World is going faster and faster with each passing day. Some people are trying to slow it down, some people go with the flow. That what it means to live free. I stopped, said "no" to this madness.
And to be honest, I am not too bothered by the flow of time. You know why ;).

Signature Image
I am the conformer, the bright sunlight that wipes all sorrow.

priincess

priincess

?doing fun

for me, i try to slow it down ^^
i dont like change. im not good at adaptation

Signature

sailorchiron

sailorchiron

Memories of Eliteness

The earth doesn't move at the same rate as the stars in the sky, so where WE are compared to the constellations means that they're in different places in the sky than before. They're a little bit different every year. The end of August is called the "dog days" of summer because in seriously olden days, the Sirius was just barely above the horizon at that time of year southern Europe. Now we associate it with the super-awful heat at that time of year, but that was the origin. In fact, Polaris is only one of several "north stars" throughout history because of the way the earth wobbles in its orbit (I have a seriously nerdriffic story about that if you're intersted). Because we're not always in the exact same place in the sky, the annual meteor showers are forecasted for a range of days.

I understand the weird feeling of going back to childhood places and seeing how tiny things have become, how the trees have grown, and how everything is different. It feels weird, not because you're sad that you've grown, but because the emotions attached to those things were linked to pictures in your mind of those places and things. They look different, so your emotions don't exactly know what to do. The best coping mechanism is to think about how you want someone else to see these places, and how you would let them experience your emotions through retelling stories. That way, the emotions are attached to a story of those things the way they looked then, but have relevance in the way things are now without detracting from the memory.

The first time I went by my childhood home after 6 or 7 years away, it was crushing to see what had changed, how the tree in the front yard looked, the new color of the house, the way my best friend's house no longer had a basketball hoop... But I was with my best friend at the time, and I told her all kinds of stories about what it was like when I lived there, and the friends I'd had in the neighborhood, and I could relive the way the sunset looked when I was riding my bike and how the woods smelled when it rained and how it felt to stand on my driveway and try to skate for the first time through Amanda's eyes. She was seeing it as I saw it, even though now we were seeing it in a totally different way. The next time I went back (like a year later) it was more reminiscent than sad, and instead of feeling like it was weird how much I'd changed and it had changed, it felt like an old, comfy sweater that I could slip on; the emotions matched the new picture because I had shared them with someone who had only seen the present, and I could feel all those good feelings even when I was seeing the reality.

Hold onto your good memories, and give them to someone else, because joy shared is multiplied. Don't be afraid of the changes in yourself when you compare them to your childhood memories, because those memories are part of what shaped you into the woman you are now, so they'll ALWAYS be part of you, no matter how much you change, or how much the world where those memories happened changes. A lot of things about the world have changed for the worse, but when you think about them, don't associate them with memories from your childhood. Don't let the bad things about current events distort the nice things you remember, let the good things you remember from your childhood make you strong enough to live through the tough times.

p.s.: It's especially weird to do this stuff after a really life changing event, like getting engaged. :)

Ripping walls? You're headed to Banned-ville.
Signature Image

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.