Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Gundams losing originality? - Minitokyo

Gundams losing originality?

Tagged under Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny

page 1 of 1 23 total items

kagedarkmode

kagedarkmode

刃の下に心あり

Is it just me or are Gundam designs starting to be repetitive?

For example, Impulse Gundam. The main idea was from the Strike and the Core Splendor was based on
Zeta Gundam (I think)...
Destiny's hands seem somewhat based on Shining and God Gundams.
Raider is uncannily similar to Wing Gundam...
the main idea of Destroy looks like it was taken from Psycho Gundam...
Calamity and Buster from Heavyarms...
and Forbidden and Blitz's mirage colloid from Deathscythe and its hyper jammer...

these are just some of the ones I've noticed and there are probably more since I've only seen
the Wing and a little of G, Z, ZZ and the tiniest bit of the X series...and there will probably be even more
in the 00 series...

what do you guys think?

. /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 nyan~
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

I suppose, but there's really only so much you can do and still maintain the familiar "Gundam-ness" of an MS. From the Gundam serieses that I've seen G Gundam had a lot of rather unique designs as did Turn-A. Wing held a certain uniqueness as well.

@}>- "When nothing makes sense, I'll fight believing in myself."
|| Gundam Haven || Doujinshi Support Club || Deviants || Final Fantasy X/-2 || FLIP ||

KazeKei

Enishi

Too creative and the MS will go out of shape maybe, lol. Anyway, Impulse and Strike looks the same to me at first... Exile (is this how you spell it?) and the new exile coming out looks 80-90% similar too.

Signature

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Yes, the colouring of the Strike, Impulse, and Exia are pretty similar (blue/white/red), and even the Freedom to some extent. I think it's kinda like a symbol you know, that the main Gundams are in those colours, so that the views know it's the main good guy XD But yeah, like zephryn said, there's only so man variations you can do on an MS and still have it be recognized as a Gundam. Besides, many of the mobile suits are adaptations or homage to old designs, like the Goufs, Zakus and Doms in GSD.

I think the newer series are modern adaptations of the older Gundams for audiences in this era (like how I think GS is adaptation of MSG, and G00 is adaptation of GW). I don't think it's an issue of originality, because they're part of the Gundam series, and as such, they all have to have something recognizable in common (or else it wouldn't be Gundam). It's kinda like there are sooo many modern adaptations of say, RomeoxJuliet, each adaptation has its own original components and aspects while borrowing from older series, which I don't think is a bad thing.

I agree I think it's to keep that little spark in us ^^

But because I mostly remember the MS GS/D I think that Destiny was quite a remake of Seed in the end with the big battle and the "old" plan of keeping the Coordinator and killing all Naturals, and Athrun had the role Kira had in Seed as in the one who's confused ... but maybe it's because it was its sequel so they kept some similarities :s

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I have often thought gundam led a repetition design when it got closer to destiny...minus g and that chibi gundam one, can't recall the name at the moment but that one was the cutest of them all

BuBbLeS!

Signature

kagedarkmode

kagedarkmode

刃の下に心あり

...yeah, I suppose what zephryn said is right...
...they're running out of themes for the Gundams...
I guess the reason why past models seemed original because there were so many fresh
ideas at the time...

. /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 nyan~
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

I agree a lot of the Gundams now a days look exactly the same. Plus the really original looking Gundams such as heavy arms, Forbidden look so cool they probably couldn't help but make some Gundams that look exactly like those.

Sulibres

Sulibres

Avert your eyes from the truth.

What the hell you talking about? The new Gundam kits are original and awesome! Picture related.

http://www.dannychoo.com/fauna/userimg/large/2008Jul25084242_5566.jpg
TOILET GUNDAM! HE CLEANSES THE EARTH OF ANY UNWANTED WASTE!

i think all of gundam is great
it have charming in itselves.

most of the mecha series with sequels or of the same genre would have similiarities in them and i dont really mind about them

i especially enjoy gundam 00, with all the main character suffering defeat and stuff

kagedarkmode

kagedarkmode

刃の下に心あり

I've just started watching Gundam 00 and from what I can see...

It's a Haro! A huge one! ...they copied Haro again...
Haro already had countless copies in Seed and even the copy was copied in Destiny...
and now this?

Anyway, Virtue looks like a cross of Sandrock and Buster/Calamity
Exia (I think) is very reminiscent of Strike and Impulse without their packs/silhouettes...
and Kyrios is a generic transforming type...
...sniper types are not so common though so Dynames get extra points

. /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 nyan~
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

well i wouldnt say that they are losing originality because gundam always has paid homage to other gundams just to give like a hint that maybe they are all connected in like a metauniverse. Also after like 11 series, a bucnh of ovas and movies some stuff is bound to trickle down. Also even if they carry similar amarments or even look the same they all have their charm in their individual series. Kunio Okawara also does most of the designs for every series with the exception of i think Gundam 00

kagedarkmode

kagedarkmode

刃の下に心あり

The designs and concepts are really similar when you look at them closely, but i guess the reason
they're still cool is because their attributes being crossed with other models and the fighting style
of each pilot are what really makes each unit unique and keeps them interesting...

...like, for exmaple, the acrobatic Heavyarms in contrast with Virtue that just stays on the ground
or Buster that snipes from the sky...

...or Kyrios that mostly remains in mobile armor mode when fighting, while Wing relies on its beam saber
and Raider on ranged weapons...

. /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 nyan~
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

AirMaster

AirMaster

ZAKU ZAKU ZAKU ZAKU!!!

Quote by kagedarkmodeFor example, Impulse Gundam. The main idea was from the Strike and the Core Splendor was based on
Zeta Gundam (I think)...

It's based on the RX-78. The first Gundam in the first Gundam show.

Anyway, I hated SEED and Destiny just for that. Reusing the mecha designs and stories from older Gundam shows. SEED is basically a mix of the first half of the original show and the second half of Gundam X while Destiny is a huge mix of pretty much all the Gundam shows ever, making the result pretty horrible.

So far, 00 seems to be somewhat original. The designs aren't really your normal Gundam design, although the first few episodes give a Gundam Wing vibe.

Signature
Sig by Vivid-Rein..ph34r them Zakus XP
Check profile for groups :x

FrostyWolf359

FrostyWolf359

Fire is fr33....

Quote by AirMaster
Anyway, I hated SEED and Destiny just for that. Reusing the mecha designs and stories from older Gundam shows. SEED is basically a mix of the first half of the original show and the second half of Gundam X while Destiny is a huge mix of pretty much all the Gundam shows ever, making the result pretty horrible.

Well, that was the whole point of Seed. They wanted to bring the ogriginal story to a new audience (as it is 20 odd years later) and they also wanted to update some things. That is why they made Seed.

Anyway, I think the designs might be similar because of normal reasons, as in, if you need a long range unit it will behave in a certain way and design elements will reflect the requirements. For example it makes no sense to give Kyrios a sniper rifle as he is a fast unit made for quick attacks and will lose that ability if he stays out of range. Things also need to stay similar to remain "in universe". Just look at our fighter jets. All the F-xx (F-15, F-16 etc) series look similar because they are all progressions of the same technology. If each gundam looked too different from the next (in the same series) then people will say, "How can you call that a gundam if it looks nothing like one?"

Everything rotates anti-clockwise except clocks and Venus.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Quote by kagedarkmodeIt's a Haro! A huge one! ...they copied Haro again...
Haro already had countless copies in Seed and even the copy was copies in Destiny...
and now this?

Actually, Lockon's Haro is smaller than the Haro in the original MSG. (I love that Haro, it's sooo cute). But Haro is kind of like a mascot of the Gundam series, so it's gotta be in G00 as well. I like how this Haro actually helps out with mechanical stuff, instead of just being a mascot/pet thing like in GS/D.

It's like the masked blond character, it's part of Gundam franchise' signature thing. I know some people hate that 'cause they think they're copying Char, but I like it, 'cause although sometimes the ideas are similar and borrowed, each character is original in its own right.

kagedarkmode

kagedarkmode

刃の下に心あり

Quote by MapleRoseActually, Lockon's Haro is smaller than the Haro in the original MSG.

It's smaller? I've only seen a few episodes of MSG so I didn't notice...guess I'm too young...
I'm sure it's bigger than the GS/GSD Haros, though...
...but yeah! It's so cute that Haro is smart enough to help out now yet still retain its
cute, noisy, bouncy, "Haro-ness"

Quote by MapleRoseIt's like the masked blond character, it's part of Gundam franchise' signature thing.

Are they all blond? I think I remember Zechs from GWing had white hair...
...come to think of it... I haven't seen the masked guy from G00 yet...
Is there one? Maybe he'll appear in later episodes...

. /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 nyan~
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

FrostyWolf359

FrostyWolf359

Fire is fr33....

Quote by kagedarkmode
...come to think of it... I haven't seen the masked guy from G00 yet...
Is there one? Maybe he'll appear in later episodes...

Have you seen the end of ep 25? Just look carefully......

Everything rotates anti-clockwise except clocks and Venus.

kagedarkmode

kagedarkmode

刃の下に心あり

Quote by FrostyWolf359Have you seen the end of ep 25? Just look carefully......

hehe... I've just started actually...I'm at episode 10... ^_^;

*edited*
the Horos are repairing Exia... AAAAAHH! KAWAII!
...anyway...

AAAAHH! Virtue removed its armor! O_O
Gundam Nadleeh? A gundam with hair! Now that's original! ...but it looks weird though...
But still very cool!

*edited*
Ah! She kissed Setsuna! O_O

*ahem* back to the analysis...

as for the three new gundams...
The names are definitely original...(they're German numbers, right?)
on that note, I don't know of any other gundam with a non-English name
aside from Akatsuki

But the designs still have parts borrowed from other gundams...
Like Zwei's fang system, from funnel systems...
And Einst's cannon is uncannily similar to Destiny's
...as of now, Drei looks relatively original...
but I guess it's because its special ability is completely dependent on GN particles which
are exclusive to G00

. /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 nyan~
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

True... Losing originality..... But then again the original designs were already cool. I mean look at the RX-78. Great model. Old, but great.
Remember that it is extremely hard to create anything completely original. But it is easier to combine parts.

Signature
Control the Rage, Shinn!
"This is mankind's dream, mankind's desire, mankind's destiny! To be the strongest, to go the farthest, to climb the highest!To compete, to envy, to hate each other, and to devour one another!" - Rau Le Creuset

Hey, core splendor not from zeta. It was from first gundam.
Isn't gundam usually colors are red/green/white?
Gundam lost originality not from the mech design, but from storyline and plot. GS similiar with first gundam, and GSD with zeta. 00 bit similiar with gundam wing. Designing mecha for gundam is very difficult, and i feel it cause i like to design different mecha, it's very hard.

Lacuslover81

Lacuslover81

One big and true lover of Lacus

yeah I guess so with the plot as well I see that alot.

A true lover of Lacus Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

page 1 of 1 23 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.