How many of you use wallpapers from MT and use Wide-screen LCDs?

What screen aspect ratio do I have?

Have 4:3 and no plan to go wide-screen (state reason please)
3 votes
Have wide-screen and loving it!
39 votes
Have 4:3 and thinking to convert to wide-screen
4 votes
Have wide-screen and thinking to return to 4:3
0 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 33 total items

Cancel

Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading my current Sony CRT (love its vibrant colour display) with a bigger, very possibly wide-screen, LCD. However, I am concerned about what will happen to the large collection of wallpapers I have amassed here on MT, most of which are in the standard 4:3 format. I am not tolerant to having black bars on the side of my desktop but I do not want to ditch the wallpapers either, i.e. put them in archive folders for 'future' viewing.

This is the one thing that is keeping me from deciding on a wide-screen monitor. So I would like to know if there are any of you here who have gone through this process and how you are finding it so far.

Cheers!

• Aug 02, 2008
Cancel

If you can't have widescreen, then get dual screen which is what I am running at the moment. Then you can still use your 4:3 wallpapers for each screen :)

• Aug 02, 2008

FrostyWolf359

FrostyWolf359

Fire is fr33....

Cancel

I have a widescreen LCD and well, here's what I do with 4:3 wallpapers.

My screen's native res is 1440 x 900 so I make sure I have the highest res version of the wall (preferably 1600 x 1200). I then resize it to 1440 x 1080 (so the width is right) and then cut it to 1440 x 900, but make sure I get the right cut to include all the most important parts of the wall. This method works for most 4:3 walls as you don't lose too much of the viewing area (only 180 pixels).

Everything rotates anti-clockwise except clocks and Venus.

Kori

Kori

Eternally Frozen in Time

Cancel

Quote by FrostyWolf359I have a widescreen LCD and well, here's what I do with 4:3 wallpapers.

My screen's native res is 1440 x 900 so I make sure I have the highest res version of the wall (preferably 1600 x 1200). I then resize it to 1440 x 1080 (so the width is right) and then cut it to 1440 x 900, but make sure I get the right cut to include all the most important parts of the wall. This method works for most 4:3 walls as you don't lose too much of the viewing area (only 180 pixels).

I switched to wide screen not so long ago, and that's the exact same method I'm using. My resolution is 1280 x 800, and the only problem I've encountered is when the wallpaper only comes in a smaller resolution than that.

Signature Image

Cancel

So, if you have hundreds of wallpapers in 4:3 format, would you do this method to every one of them or is there a more efficient method?

• Aug 03, 2008

davidh01

davidh01

No Longer Active...

Cancel

Well, yes. That's my situation too (although my resolution is 1920x1200 for each of two screens). However I use some tools in Photoshop Elements where I can preset the selection size (e.g. 1920x1200) and then move that preset selection around the image.

In respect to resizing to the widest dimension of the monitor (in my case 1920), I do use a batch process that will resize and resample each image and then save out as a new file so I don't overwrite the original. Then its a simple case of the preset selection to get the part of the image you want to use. I wouldn't try to automate the cropping part of the process because you may end up cropping a part of the image you want to keep. Similarly, relying on "centering" or "tiling" the image won't help as you're stuck with the middle or the top-left part of the image.

[Edit] The other option is to manipulate your 4:3 picture to get something that looks effective on a 16:10 or 16:9 wide screen monitor. I use Picturesque on Mac OS to do something like this:
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tbpfh/th_Picture2.png.

The desktop ends up with a PNG file and a background that looks decidedly nice - like this:
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/tbpfh/th_Picture1.png

Kori

Kori

Eternally Frozen in Time

Cancel

Quote by EnchanterSo, if you have hundreds of wallpapers in 4:3 format, would you do this method to every one of them or is there a more efficient method?

No, never. Although it may seem a bit tedious, for me it hasn't been a problem. I don't switch my background image very often, which means that I don't do it too often. And on top of that, I don't use every wallpaper I actually download from Minitokyo. Some may be very nice, but as soon as they're used as a background image, it doesn't fit. Unfortunately I don't know a faster and more efficient method than that.

Signature Image

Tatsumi09

Tatsumi09

Seeker of Inner Peace

Cancel

I have both. (Widescreen on laptop, 4:3 on desktop PC) I love the widescreen more, but wallpapers make it tough. I usually edit 4:3 wallpapers by cutting top or bottom off to make it fit widescreen.

carlozzzzbr

carlozzzzbr

Otaku-freak soldier

Cancel

i will buy an widescreen NEXT YEAR! then i will use both....

Cancel

Thanks to all who replied! I have broken down and ordered a 27in wide-screen LCD. Hopefully this one stays for at least as long as the Sony has (which is still counting).

Cheers!

• Mar 15, 2009

ChiekoKawabe

ChiekoKawabe

Music, music, I love K-Pop!!

Cancel

I have a widescreen. The only thing I absolutely hate about it is that when I upload pictures of myself, my family, or any friends, we all appear super fat. D:
But everything else is great. xD

EDIT: I have Vista, so it auto-fits wallpapers to the right size for my monitor.

Cancel

Quote by ChiekoKawabeI have a widescreen. The only thing I absolutely hate about it is that when I upload pictures of myself, my family, or any friends, we all appear super fat. D:

EDIT: I have Vista, so it auto-fits wallpapers to the right size for my monitor.

I don't use Vista so I don't know if this is an inherent issue or just a wrong setting on your PC. It should be an easy-to-fix problem and, even if not, there is always Irfanview. ;)

• Mar 15, 2009
Cancel

I use 4:3 format, and love it. Widescreen looks very weird to me, it's seems stretched, unnatural.

mick-klaassen

mick-klaassen

boredom is imminent to strike

Cancel

i have widescreen and use a minitokyo wallpaper because else it would look boring

why?

• Mar 17, 2009

davidh01

davidh01

No Longer Active...

Cancel

Quote by ChiekoKawabeI have a widescreen. The only thing I absolutely hate about it is that when I upload pictures of myself, my family, or any friends, we all appear super fat. D:

That would have something to do with the original 4:3 aspect ratio of your image (if you're uploading digital photos) and the fact that Vista is stretching the image to fit fully to a 16:10 or 16:9 screen. You can set Vista to not stretch the image to fit if you want to put up with bars down either side of the screen or you're looking at separate alterations to crop a selection of the image to fit. Irfanview is always good for that in Windows.

Cancel

I have widescreen on laptop (1440x900), 4:5 on the desktop that I never use (1280x1024)
Most of the wallpapers I like have widescreen versions, and if not i usually just make a new version in photoshop or something.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

FireBlaster

The Quiet Life

Cancel

I hava a laptop (1280x800)
Most of my collection of wallpapers is in Widescreen for use in
a desktop computer and laptop

Life is Figth

• Mar 18, 2009

VindicatoR

VindicatoR

Greato!

Cancel

Using 2 x BENQ 19' running at 1440x900.

Using a blend of wallpapers combined with scans which I edit to fit into the res.

Switching from CRT to a wide-screen LCD was probably one of the best things I did. XD

zazuge

Perv

Cancel

I use a script to automate the categorization of minitokyo stuff and the wallpapers
end in a distinct folder and another on-boot script change the background image randomly once every 10 minutes so i don't do any manual labor for that

Belive me and DIE !

Strike105X

Strike105X

ヒットハード&高速

Cancel

You forgot 5:4 screens (1280X1024) which is my LCD, CRT's IMO are only good for gaming since they have dynamic resolution, but that doesnt count if your PC is good enough, gotta say love my LCD more then my CRT in both image quality, space and eye strain. But be careful when buying a CRT saome have really creapy image quality or response time.

PS: about the wallpaper problem that's why i always do my wallpapers multi res i hated when i found a wallpaper and i had problems cause of the res. Even if there's just one person satisfied i'm also satisfied :P.

Signature

vitaamin

vitaamin

DUKE 2010 NCAA CHAMPS!

Cancel

widescreen is the most awesome resolution ever, you will love how much space it gives you
and most wallers are starting to wall in wide screen resolutions now (i know i do) so i doubt it will be a problem.

Signature Image
vector-wallers tag-licious

Cancel

I have both. My main computer is 4:3, but my laptop is widescreen. I need to make more widescreen wallies... atm I've only made one :P

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

Cancel

I've recently upgraded to widescreen cause my computer went poof and my new laptop is widescreen at first it was hard to get use to but now I rather enjoy it

Undertaker:Kuroshitsuji: How sad it would be, should laughter disappear.

Signature

mintcherryz

mintcherryz

Princess

Cancel

Most of my wallpapers are from MT and I use a widescreen LCD monitor. My resolutions are set as 1280x800. It took me a while to get used to it.

• Jul 14, 2009

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 33 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.