Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 is windows XP SP2 safe? - Minitokyo

is windows XP SP2 safe?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

i've heard quite a lot of bad things about SP2. i heard ppl telling me to wait till microsoft fixes all the bugs before i dowload SP2. a computer in my office is already using SP2, no problems so far. so is SP2 now safe to download or do i really need to bother downloading it?

Zerowing

Zerowing

GraveZero

Um... worked for me :\

Signature

jackalx66

jackalx66

Blau Mond

so far so good
increase in security
no bad effect
still.............. ^_^'

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

MadTriad

Not THAT Mad

Personally I'd stick with SP1, I've heard too many bad things about SP2 to justify installing it. Plus I don't like the security center which keeps popping up every so often saying your software is not up to date.

"The guy who invented the wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three was the genius."

Groundsquirrel

Groundsquirrel

Happily Married now!

Works good for me as well. Now, what I dont recommend yet is the 64bit Windows.

-----------
"I am Super Baka" - Kagura, Azumanga Daioh

See mah anime collection at: http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Groundsquirrelsb&type=O&sc=C&ls=T

Tokayla

Navi User

sp2 .. has caused some problems .. and its annoying if you had already fixed the security problems with windows.

i would aviod it as its not much more secure then sp1 and it changes a large portion of windows.

so far ive only had 3-4 explorer related problems with it and one that even forced me to shut the machine down.

its worth the risk though if your machine isn't secure at all at the moment ( firewall .. virus scanner.. router? .. and using firefox ) as it does make some .. small fixes to securtiy. even if that just involves nagging you >_>

Signature

I'd fly away
to a higher plane
to say words I resist
to float away
to sigh
to breath.... forget

Tim Jensen, Heavens not enough

SP2 is fine except for the stupid firewall icon on your taskbar...had to get rid of that but besides that nothing else has changed...."yet"

I consider it a good security update and recommend installing it. I have not noticed any problem besides resetting some settings (like the builit-in firewall).

sanmadjack

sanmadjack

Tube tops are too cylindrical

Well, I, the Linux fanatic, installed SP2 onto some XP machines, and I've found the new firewall easier to use, obviously the security fixes are needed, even if not sufficient, and the security center thing ain't so bad, it hasn't been intrusive on any of my test runs. Overall, I find it okay, seeing as it's pretty much all the updates for XP in one package. None of the programs I run on Windows (which is ONLY video games that don't run under Linux) have ceased to function, although my custom boot-up logo need to be upgarded in oreder to work.

Signature
Registered Linux user 395626
Hi-Res Icons - http://www.rabiez.tk/
Want a gmail address? Let me know, I've got invites coming out of my butt!

SearSay

ElectroMagnetic Dragon

sp2 does do some things for windows... I'd recomend it simply because you are going find all support is oriented to it from here on out. However i would recomend being prepared when you do install it - especially if you have a laptop.

-Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
-Smith & Wesson....The original point and click interface.

It is a risk, just as any Windows service pack is, if you can't take the risk, don't install, I haven't about to convert to linux

Katzbalger

Katzbalger

Managment Fun

How ironic.. just a few days after I post an OS Tan wallpaper, my computer gets done over!

I get home today to find my dad had installed the service pack that I was a bit suspicious about. Surely enough, my instincts were correct! There was a bizzare new security feature that had a habit of saying "update ME" every ten minutes. Style XP refused to work, so I lost my windows skin. Winwall wouldn't dock in the taskbar. And copying items from a CD caused the system to lock up! And what do you know, it was the second service pack!

Thank God for system restore!

jackalx66

jackalx66

Blau Mond

bout the style xp....same with me...
just download the newest to fix it..

the update can be held by 'notify me, don't download'

and make sure ur comp have firewall and antivirus to stop the habbit...

*hope it help u?*

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

seems like most of you do have problems with sp2. if i have a constantly updated antivirus and a personal firewall software, i dont really need sp2 rite? rite?

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

I'm using SP2
no problem so far. ^.^

Katzbalger

Katzbalger

Managment Fun

Quote by jackalx66bout the style xp....same with me...
just download the newest to fix it..

the update can be held by 'notify me, don't download'

and make sure ur comp have firewall and antivirus to stop the habbit...

*hope it help u?*

I've already System Restored, and I'm staying away from that evil... evil pack.

Quote by asukseems like most of you do have problems with sp2. if i have a
constantly updated antivirus and a personal firewall software, i dont
really need sp2 rite? rite?

To me, it seems that the SP2 is a waste of time. You seem about right anyway, seeing as that's all SP2 seems to do anyway.

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

heh... i still got the damn windows update thing comin' up everytime i log on to windows.... it asks me if i wanna install SP2, and i never click it... heh ^_^'

Signature

It works ;P

ShindouShuichi

ShindouShuichi

I don't CARE about destiny.

Well, I got a new laptop, and it didn't make much of a difference. I guess downloading the XP S2 Package is alright...

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

From everything I have seen and heard: You are 100% sure to be ok with a clean install of windows. If you install on an existing install, then it is still unlikely you will run into problems. The early versions/betas were horrible though.

Signature Image

reiayanami

reiayanami

NeedZ BoY Syndrome

i wanna update my com to use SP2 but, many of my friend say it is not really good, i prefer sp 1, cuz sp 2 is new product, so we not known it well, but all is up to u ^_^

I'm alone,,
need someone beside me
need someone more wise than me..
need someone to care

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Oh, I forgot to mention. SP2 will covertly install Windows Media Player 9. I was rather dissatisfied with that.

Signature Image

As stated in a previous post concerning SP2, Microsoft's new release points them into the right direction.
All they have to do now is walk it, but we probably won't see it manifest until Longhorn comes out.

Many of the incompatibility problems with SP2 with commercial products have already been patched.
And if you don’t like the new Security Section, you can easy disable it and the firewall if you already have one, through services.msc.

Signature

RahXephon

the Professor

You can disable the popups about your outdated software and stuff. SP2 is well worth it in my opinion.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.