Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 New 'living' planets in other systems? - Minitokyo

New 'living' planets in other systems?

page 1 of 1 19 total items

kirei23

kirei23

Shoujo fan

Was just wondering..*again*.
Since the Universe is *SO* enormous, that the Milky Way Galaxy is only a tiny dot of it..
then the Solar System is even a tinier dot of the Milky Way Galaxy..
And the Solar System consists of only one star..while the galaxy contains BILLIONS of stars..
DO YOU THINK there are other 'systems' with a living planet in it?!
I mean, who (human) knows? Is there a possibility to have other 'Earth-like planets in other systems and even other GALAXIES, where life can survive? If so, what do you think would it be like there? ~_~

PS: I know. Curiosity kills the cat. o_O

the candle flame of thought, seems to shine it's brightest, in the darkness..

Signature

ttwen

ttwen

somebody

maybe there is, but so far a few terrestrial planets have been found, because they are so very difficult to detect. giant gas planets larger then Jupiter are already quite difficult to detect, so you can imagine the difficulty.

basically, if i remember correctly, according to astrobiology, for life to exist would require at least elements C, H, O, and N. even if it fulfills the 4 elements, the planet need to have many other factors like a magnetosphere, a stable orbit, not too dense or thin atmosphere (not the thickness), not too heavy gravity, and so on.. but then, even if extraterrestrial exists, they would mostly be microbs.

since there are meteors with organic matrial it's probale that there are other planets with life besides ours.

I remember reading an article that a planet, with caracteristics similar to earth, was found... but it had 2 suns (or 3) and the temperature was quite bellow ours.

and then we have to consider the ppl that say they have seen ufos...

kirei23

kirei23

Shoujo fan

oh yahh..the U F O's..

Signature

I actually saw a show on tv discussing this subject recently and what I remember they stated that they have discovered a few planets that are Earth-like and could actually support human life. One example of this is one that has land mass and plants, but if it had actual life such as humans is still unknown.

yothsothgoth

yothsothgoth

You came along and cut me loose

Another planet out there could support life - that's easy to believe. There are plenty of planets and stars that are the right distance away from them... though I'm sure we haven't even begun to scratch the surface at finding them all.

Another planet that can support life and has life on it - its not as likely, but it is possible. If you're big on scientific belief that life begun with gasses and whatnot coming together to form cells and biological structures... sure, but not as likely as there just being a planet out there that could support life.

A planet that could support life, has life on it, and it behing humanoid. THAT is very unlikely. If there are aliens in that respect... for them to even remotely look like us, they'd have to be exposed to the EXACT SAME ELEMENTS and CHANGE and CLIMATE in the exact same was as scientists believe that humans did to evolve. If you believe in evolution and understand it, then you'd know that it takes many things for animals and plant life to evolve. Certain contions, predation, resources, and behavioral patterns ingrained into them. That just would be so unlikely on another planet. I won't say its impossible - but HIGHLY improbable.

I think there's life on Europa under the ice, but its not humanoid in the least. If there is, I'm sure its like the animals that live underwater here near to volcanic vents in the trenches in the ocean.

kirei23

kirei23

Shoujo fan

Quote by RavenSilverRoseI actually saw a show on tv discussing this subject recently and what I remember they stated that they have discovered a few planets that are Earth-like and could actually support human life. One example of this is one that has land mass and plants, but if it had actual life such as humans is still unknown.

land mass and...PLANTS?! interesting.. if ever we found some aliens..i wonder what their language would be.

Signature

Well Kirei the pictures and such that they showed showed large oceans and land masses full of trees and plants and they said it could very well hold life. If it is anywhere near humanoid is another story, but when one actually thinks about it there are many planets out there that could hold a life that isn't humanoid. Take a planet covered completely in water well what about an Aquatic type of life? And when one thinks about it is it not possible that planets in our very own solar system such as Venus and Mars could hold some form of life that we do not know of. Where we can not stand the heat that is on Mercury and Venus who is tos ay that another life form could not? Where Mars is dry and lifeless could there not be life under the surface or a rock type creature? Many things to think about when you go to thinking of could there be life out there on other planets.

Well, I do have to agree with RavenSilverRose, as she has some good points.

I mean, planets that doesn't support OUR liveforms, doesn't mean that other kinds of lifeform can't live there. I think we don't know enough yet to be able to say that a planet is fully unable to support live. Some kind of species can adapt itself to the conditions on that planet and survive very well. No one can just go ahead, point at a planet and say that planet won't support life. Sure, not OUR life, but perhaps other lifes.

Meh, most things are already said by RaveSilverRose. XD

Lol um Kitsy I'm a guy. And on the subject of species able to adapt themselves I've often wondered this. What about Jupiter and such planets full of clouds and such that keep us from seeing their surface. There could be a species that live on that planet or under that planet that this very moment a group of them are having this same convo and wondering about our planet. I mean if you think about it there could be a species that is walking on the surface of Jupiter right now that has adapted to all the high winds and gas in the air and its like a normal day for them and everything. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

ttwen

ttwen

somebody

about the "planets that are Earth-like and could actually support human life" is actually just a possibility... terrestrial planets are usually found orbiting a giant gas, because they are easier to detect. few are actually found, due to our detection technology limitations.

here is wiki if you are interested : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrasolar_planet

it is possible to colonize Jupiter, with 'floating cities' sitting on Jupiter's atmosphere. because the atmosphere is very dense on gas planets, it is possible. but there are various problems too, one would be the problem of the fierce storms running rampage on the atmosphere, another would be the heavy gravity pulling the 'floating city' down. i wouldn't think of walking on Jupiter's core surface though, because i would be crushed under the heavy pressure of the atmosphere, and i find it very difficult to move due to the massive gravity, and not to mention the beatings from storms 100 times much more stronger than Katrina. but the idea of floating cities is indeed cool...

With the size of the universe there is a high probability that there are planets that exist that could support life. Whether it is human life nor not. The general randomness of the universe can account for the occurrence of another planet having conditions similar to those of our own home planet. But if we wanted to colonize that other planet we might want to forget about that cause the resources that the travel would require would not be worth it if we reached the planet with low fuel and supplies and discovered that it actually couldnt support life easily...that would certainly create a problem. But yes planets like Earth outside of the solar system probably do exist...we just havent found them yet...and if we do, what then?

ttwen

ttwen

somebody

^actually traveling in space is not at all hard. because in space there is no friction, a moving object never stops, the velocity will never change unless a force acts on it. namely, the thrusters, gravity, another impacting object. but the problem would be time. even if you can reach the exact speed of light, it would take God-knows how long you would reach another star system.

don't forget that the things we see from billions of light years away happened billions of years ago. Who knows what is actually there now?

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

I believe there are probably lots of "earth-like" planets out there capable of sustaining life, and probably a lot of planets that do have life. We have to keep in mind that humans are very limited in our capabilities of detecting planets in the universe. Our lack of ability to detect them due to our own limitation on methodology, does not mean the planets do not exist. It just means we can't detect them yet. Maybe we will come up with better machines and methods of detection in the future.

The Sun is one star, in a galaxy with billions of stars, in a universe with billians of galaxies and other phenomenom that we can't even begin to explain, how can we know for sure if other planets in other galaxies have life or not?

Another thing I've always wondered is, we have always assumed that because we understand life in a certain way, all life must be the same. How do we know if some different life form, that does not follow the same rule as life forms on Earth, exist on some non-earth-like planet? There's weird microbes on the bottom of the ocean that are uses chemorespiration instead of oxygen, so there's no proof that some weird sort of non-earth-like life has not developed on some non-earth-like planet.

Besides, just like DarthTofu said, we are observing the universe as it used to be. Not what it is right now, so we have no idea what is currently out there.

Lacuslover81

Lacuslover81

One big and true lover of Lacus

I believe the possabilities are out there but still I wouldn't want to take our chances with what may appear out there.

A true lover of Lacus Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

If I throw a stone and you see it flying but cannot recognize it as a stone, it's an UFO. The most stupid definition of an Unindentified Flying Object, but useful to demonstrate how difficult it can be to relate UFOs and planets outside Earth with intelligent, advanced enough to build and pilot spacecrafts life.
It doesn't mean I don't believe in life outside Earth. The chances of planets with all elements needed to have life, even if this kind of life has different needs, are the most. But the chances of intelligent life or even an advanced civilization are reduced due to the increased needs for the environment to hold such kind of life and the potential risk of extinction that civilizations live with.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

there is a possibility

make use of what you have currently.. focus on the present with the past to guide you and the future to look forward to..

I''m positive that somewhere out there there is an inhabitable planet. It just depend on the chances.

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.