Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Which is more important, Science or religion? [continued] - Minitokyo

Which is more important, Science or religion? [continued]

This thread is closed for posting.

page 4 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 104 total items

sorry ive just had one of those busy weeks, anyway back to the debate:

to ttwen

Quote by ttwen@fmp111's most recent post
- science can be done without thirst for knowledge; it can also be done for thirst for destruction, desperation for something, a show of power etc etc.

Ah that wasn't the point, i was merely stating my personal motivation for my love of science, nothing to do with the argument.

Quote by ttwen
-"again motivation is not more important than the tools"
(1) motivation + tools = action.
(2) motivation + no tools = can't action, therefore no action
(3) no motivation + tools = no action
(4) no motivation + no tools = no action
i don't understand your logic here. i can't see how tools are more important than motivation when both must be true for an action. please explain your logic.

I never said that the tool was more important than the motivation. If u actually read the line you quoted me on, i said motivation ISN'T more important than the tools. In fact my position on this matter is that: to accomplish a goal, the motivation (i.e. will or thought) and the tool (action, though physical manipulation of entities etc) are both required.

Quote by ttwen - i have a gut feeling that dark matters exists.

* i guess i just can't stand it anymore, i think you either deliberately leave some details out, or you really don't know them.

And what are you attempting to demonstrate by your statement of your gut feeling? i have no idea. What details do i leave out on what argument?

Quote by ttwen- horoscopes = not direct? i don't think so though, example horoscope:
"Normally you are happy to deal with social situations by sitting in the background. However, today you should expect to be vibrant and talkative as the ideas will flow fast and furious. In terms of romance you might need to be a little less demanding of a loved one!"
is this really full of hidden meanings? what i see from this i just a quick prediction, and suggested reaction.

Hmm well i agree that example seems a tad clear, but the kind of horoscope i was referring too is goes something like this: Today is a time when energy drains can come from all sorts of directions and not be too easily spotted. Sometimes it's premature moves, other times strokes come just too late, and the spring in the elastic step can't be counted on as you bounce down the road. You could slog your way through this if you must, but you can also choose a park bench with a good view and watch everyone else going through it.- http://www.astrology.com.au/daily/pisces.asp

Anyway, the point is that they are obscure and basically can be applied to anyone gullible to distort it into something they feel familiar... in other words, this stuff is hogwash that is just open to interpretation.

to naturally

Quote by naturally What the?
No offense to you dude, but I think you should be more wise and mature enough to explain the good part of science since you chose science is more important to you.

But reading your first post as the thread starter, you only say "Science!" and the rest is all about how religion in your opinion. Tsk..tsk...tsk...
Is this thread's goal just to destroy religion vocally face to face?... oh dear...

Holy crap! your right o_0 i completely forgot to give a support for science! let me address this right away:

Fmp111's revised opening statement

Religion and science have an element in common. That is, they both make statements regarding the nature of physical phenomena within the universe. The main difference is the methodology in which they attempt to establish the validity of their arguments.

Science follows (obviously) the scientific method. It is this scientific method that is absolutely essential in maintaining validity of scientific discussion. It begins with the establishment of a hypothesis followed by experimentation. The results of the experiment are then used to formulate another hypothesis to investigate further. In this way, all scientific theory is based upon empirical evidence and a rational method.

In essence, it is this adherence to a logical methodology and empirical evidence that ensures the soundness of science.

This is the main reason why i support the scientific method.

Secondary (and personally less important, relative to the method) is the applications of science and technology. The significant increase in life span since the dawn of man, the development of agriculture, the haber bosch process which is responsible for sustaining atleast 30% of the entire human population today, medical advances such as the discovery of antibiotics, the invention of the smallpox(which by the way during the 20th century, claimed from 300-500 million deaths) vaccine and its subsequent eradication (the list goes on and on so i shall just cut it short here) is proportional to the level of technology of the time. The technology was a result of the application of science.

Ultimately, the whole modern world is a monument to the scientific method and its application. No aspect of our lives today are independent of science and technology.

Finally, science and more importantly its logical rational methodology gives people the power to question and rationally distinguish right from wrong. People do not commit immoral acts for scientific or logical reasons. This can also be extended to an argument for atheism(however unfortunately not all scientists are atheists) as science/rationality and atheism usually go hand in hand.

I acknowledge that there are people who are atheists that commit immoral acts, Stalin for example. But such people do not act immoral because of atheist or scientific motivation. Such immoral acts are motivated from other sources such as politics, race and so on.

Alright, to contrast this with religion: The religious viewpoint is not based upon a rational, empirical model, but rather the polar opposite which is faith. And this is ultimately its root flaw.

By definition, faith is belief without evidence and logic. It is this embrace of faith that allows people's views to become distorted and manipulated.

It is through this manipulation of belief that any action no matter how morally abhorrent, can be justified through faith.

(I have nothing against the humanitarian aspects of religion. I argue that these humanitarian aspects are not only confined to religion, you can also have secular humanitarians as well. This also applies to certain areas of morality. Good morals do not originate from religion as there are also moral atheists and secularists etc.)

The manipulation of belief through faith is essentially the root of the crusades, inquisition, twin tower bombings etc. The people who acted perhaps were good people, but it was their faith that allowed them to commit such acts. Also within the bible itself (especially from the old testament) or the koran etc there are passages that clearly advocate behavior that is not morally acceptable. I acknowledge that most religious people do not follow such passages, but this is not due to the moral teaching of other sections of their religious texts, the moral basis of their actions originates from secular/social/natural sources.

And so what i argue is that religion has become redundant and harmful to society especially modern society. I propose that religion (and specifically faith) should be dropped and reason should be embraced in its place. i am not suggesting that we suddenly stop and view the world with a nihilistic attitude. I merely ask that we adopt reason and logic and as much as possible empirical evidence as our methodology.

Anyways, i thank you sincerely for pointing that missing part of my argument out. :D

moving on,

to toumarie

Quote by toumarieSo, it is consistent now to you?
Sir, at first we discuss about the inconsistency/consistency in Holy Bible and then I give an explanation that it is consistent about what happened in Deuteronomy and 10 commandments by giving an example.

No you have misunderstood, I say that the king's actions are consistent with the simple social needs of that time. I still assert that his actions are inconsistent in terms of the ten commandments.

What i argue is that there is a flaw in using the analogy of the king's actions to that of a god. This is due to the power difference in each of them. Where the king is merely powerful, god by definition is all powerful and thus could solve the problem without resorting to such measures as the king did.

Quote by toumarieGod created human (with their own freewill) and not a robot.
God gave human power to rule the earth.
Based on my experience, God is able and willing to prevent evil in my life.

This raises an interesting conflict. How do you reconcile your god's omniscience with freewill? god by definition is omniscient and thus can see into past present and future. If such a being can see into the future, then he/she/it will have already known the actions of all lesser beings and therefore the actions of the lesser beings are predetermined.

If god is willing to prevent evil and is all loving then explain this (a quote from David Attenborough) : "My response is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind. And [I ask them], 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy'."

Quote by toumarie@fmp111 : I never thought you're going to write about cut a hand. Well, my brother had this kind of experience while he was a little boy. It's not his hand, it's only his finger.
It can be rotten and the doctor will have to amputate it, so after the operation, the doctor only said, "I did my best."
As a people who believe in God, we have only one option; pray.

Exactly, that is all faith has! praying! which does not solve the problem. I predict that you shall start to give examples of people who are healed through prayer. My reply to this would be: The amount of people cured through prayer as opposed to medicine is insignificant. So insignificant that it falls into the same probability of being cured through natural healing processes, which by they way, they are.

Quote by toumarieAs you have said fmp111, there are so many motivation that can make people do acts of evil, so if you want, don't blame everything bad to religion because there are so many religious people who don't do the acts of evil. I just want you to at least respect us.

It is not religious people who are the subject of my disrespect, it is the religion itself and specifically it is the element of faith within religion that my hostility is most strongly directed at.

Quote by toumarieI believe in God and His miracle and live in it is far more joyful for m

Again i do not doubt your sincerity of belief, i merely say that your belief is misplaced and is not valid. Your joy is true, the subject of your joy is most likely not.

to priincess

Quote by priincessi think you're wrong since many people has cured diseases without using science n just by praying, the power from God. and science also religion are different so we cant compare it. u can cure people by science or by God. but science is from God too

see above in my rebuttal to toumarie.

to honoonotobira

Quote by honoonotobiraHow about using a lie to achieve goals, such as getting a sympathy from others?
How about using a slander onto someone I don't like so nobody want to become her/his friend?
How about chocked to death a person because I hate him/her?
How about pushing someone from high place (not buildings) to kill him/her because I envy her/him?
How about drawning someone until he/she dead because he/she always make fun of me?
How about give a hug to my little brother/sister who need it at that time because I love them?
How about to accompany a person when he/she need it because I love them?
How about just sit and listen to someone story because he/she want to share his/her problem with me?
These kind of acts don't need a tool and each goal achieved by motivation alone.
...So, it is right. Everything started from motivation not from a tool.

ah that's just a disagreement of definition. I have addressed the issue in this post above. (i think it was to ttwen)

On the topic of the plane analogy, the pilot represented the will/thought/motivation where the plane was the physical manipulation. I'm sorry to give you the wrong impression of the analogy, it wasn't the best analogy anyway. But after this post, im sure its smoothed over.

Quote by honoonotobiraFirst, I am not going to compare between human and animal as an example.
What the chimps and other animals do is only based on instinct about how to survive.

actually, chimps form (although primitive) basic social structures and culture, do not be so quick to distance humanity from the animal kindgom, we are after all, advanced, intelligent animals.

Quote by honoonotobiraSecond, religion teachs moral good and I'll give you one example about it. Only religion (Christianity) teachs to give mercy onto someone who hurts you deeply. It teachs to forgive someone who is actually not worthed to be forgiven.
This teaching usually become the most difficult to do by a believer because usually people want to take revenge.
Religion teachs not to divorce, religion teachs to loyal to your partner (husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend), religion teachs to give more and not to take more etc.

:sweat: ill just reply this with the same line you quoted me on...

Quote by fmp111in short, the bible merely reflects morality, it is not the SOURCE of morality, which lies inherently within the formation of society itself.

The morals it teaches is merely a reflection of the moral need, originating from the very function and structure of society....

Quote by honoonotobiraI don't think every each of them really heard god's voice directly. I believe, their leader or elder who told them that he/she heard god speak to her/him and god told him/her to blow the twin tower or to blow a chosen place in Bali etc.

Ah but it was faith that allowed them to do it. Where is the source of this faith? religion.

Quote by honoonotobiraFirst, it's for believer and for non-believer who used to be a believer.
Second, how about the wind?

...are you suggesting there is no empirical evidence for the wind? what do leaves blow around in then? what is present in storms etc that knocks over builidings and trees? Just because you cant see something doesn't mean its not empirical. You can indirectly infer the existence of wind from your other senses (in this case touch) and as i have previously stated, its effects upon other objects.

Quote by honoonotobira I knew it already, you can read again my quote.
And let me remind you that you're the one who wrote that science is a tool. Read below.
but here is a short summary of it: Science is a tool of humanity, that is all, a tool can be used for both good and evil without any inherent evil within the tool.

....*sigh* alright... The scientific method is an intellectual tool, technology created through the application of scientific understanding is the physical tool...

to houkiboshi

Quote by houkiboshiEven if we give proof, someone who's got healed by just believe and pray to God, you will just take it as a lie, correct?

No not a lie, just not sufficient evidence. Here is what it would take to prove faith healing solidly (this is a simple outline): Get a bunch of sick people (eg 1000 people) from all around the world, stick them in a lab, get them to pray, monitor their healing. Repeat this process for different people, different age groups, genders, races, socioeconomic class etc if the percentage of such people get healed is significantly greater than the percentage of a similar group that healed naturally (ie no medicine, but no prayer), then we can have some reasonable evidence.

i mean if faith healing worked, why would we even bother with medical research at all?

to moderator Spystreak

Quote by Spystreak I'm only going to give this warning once, after that this thread gets the lock and warnings will be issued. KEEP IT CIVIL OR DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL

I'm seriously tired of this crap. It's not a hard concept. If you don't have anything nice to say step away from your computer and walk away.

Firstly, warning noted.
Secondly, this depends upon what you mean by civil, if you think that the criticism of religion upon intellectual/logical grounds (for which this thread was created) is uncivil then lock this thread immediately.

ttwen

ttwen

somebody

Quote:

Quote by ttwen - i have a gut feeling that dark matters exists.

And what are you attempting to demonstrate by your statement of your gut feeling? i have no idea. What details do i leave out on what argument?

my gut feeling is in reply to this: "To prove that something exists, there must be evidence, not a gut feeling."

Quote by ttwen
Hmm well i agree that example seems a tad clear, but the kind of horoscope i was referring too is goes something like this: Today is a time when energy drains can come from all sorts of directions and not be too easily spotted. Sometimes it's premature moves, other times strokes come just too late, and the spring in the elastic step can't be counted on as you bounce down the road. You could slog your way through this if you must, but you can also choose a park bench with a good view and watch everyone else going through it.- http://www.astrology.com.au/daily/pisces.asp

Anyway, the point is that they are obscure and basically can be applied to anyone gullible to distort it into something they feel familiar... in other words, this stuff is hogwash that is just open to interpretation.

well, i got that example from the very website! for horoscopes, if you actually believe them, the meaning will become clear when it really happens, or so i was told. i'm not so sure about that though, because i don't believe in horoscopes.

Quote:
.... In this way, all scientific theory is based upon empirical evidence and a rational method.

i stole this from wikipedia:
"The term theory is regularly stretched to refer to speculation that is currently unverifiable. Examples are string theory and various theories of everything. In the strict sense, the term theory should only be used when describing a model derived from experimental evidence and is provable (or disprovable). It is considered sufficient for the model to be in principle testable at some undetermined point in the future."

now here's the point, once a theory is verified, usually through series of experimentation with EVERY nature of that theory tested, it becomes a law. the result of a theory, can be mathematically predicted, but the actual nature might not be true. for this, i take the Ptolemy's geocentric system. his system, amazingly, can calculate and predict every position of stars and planets accurately, and is actually still used today. but the concept is geocentrism, not heliocentrism. the same for theories; the prediction might be accurate, but the nature might not. therefore (unverified)theories remain as theories.
and of course, theory can be anything, scientifically speaking, existence of alien lifeform is theoretical. so is/are God/Gods. so please don't believe so much in theories; especially in higher levels of science.

Quote:
In essence, it is this adherence to a logical methodology and empirical evidence that ensures the soundness of science.

i am sure, when you reach higher levels of science, and not feeding your knowledge through "popular science" you will find science is not sound at all. by the way, be it that you read popular science or not, i find most of them are not very trustworthy. because i find more deductions and opinions rather than facts, which of course they wrote them all out as facts.

and finally, with your statements on religion,
all i can say is, you still can't differentiate what is personal motivation(not out of faith), and what is really out of faith. i won't argue on that though, because you don't(or won't) understand.

Quote:
No you have misunderstood, I say that the king's actions are consistent with the simple social needs of that time. I still assert that his actions are inconsistent in terms of the ten commandments.

What i argue is that there is a flaw in using the analogy of the king's actions to that of a god. This is due to the power difference in each of them. Where the king is merely powerful, god by definition is all powerful and thus could solve the problem without resorting to such measures as the king did.

you don't understand? i'll offer you an easier concept: someone has to dirty his hands for 'justice' to prevail. and this goes with hierarchy. i suppose basing on your logic here, a court judge must be executed or jailed for life because he has killed countless people with his hammer. but if laws are without 'justice', who would care about obeying the laws? who would fear the laws?
and back to God, simply put, who would care about the 10 commandments if not even God cares about people breaking his own laws?

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

Quote by fmp111

to moderator Spystreak

Quote by Spystreak I'm only going to give this warning once, after that this thread gets the lock and warnings will be issued. KEEP IT CIVIL OR DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL

I'm seriously tired of this crap. It's not a hard concept. If you don't have anything nice to say step away from your computer and walk away.

Firstly, warning noted.
Secondly, this depends upon what you mean by civil, if you think that the criticism of religion upon intellectual/logical grounds (for which this thread was created) is uncivil then lock this thread immediately.

First off I have nothing against intellectual debate. That's actually encouraged especially in this section of the forum. My concern was with a report made about this thread. Upon looking into it I sensed tension building that I felt might end up escalating into more as some other threads have in Religion and Science. My warning was an attempt to thwart that from happening. As of now I have no reason to close this thread, I just don't want it to degrade into name calling and personal attacks.

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

langwan

BIGGY

religon

a balance is needed......
if there is all science, the people need something to believe in....but science does help us advance in our lives

First, this is my last post in this thread. And I just want to make it clear. Religion in each answer that I've already gave to you means belong to Christiany. I am sorry for not explain this since the beginning.

Quote by fmp111...are you suggesting there is no empirical evidence for the wind? what do leaves blow around in then? what is present in storms etc that knocks over builidings and trees? Just because you cant see something doesn't mean its not empirical. You can indirectly infer the existence of wind from your other senses (in this case touch) and as i have previously stated, its effects upon other objects.

Do you mean you can touch the wind? Actually, we can only feel the wind.
And what I mean is the very gentle wind.

Quote by fmp111i mean if faith healing worked, why would we even bother with medical research at all?

So we can find out how bad the decease is so that when he/she got healed by praying, we can understand and believe that there is still miracle that is given by Jesus Christ.

Quote by fmp111Exactly, that is all faith has! praying! which does not solve the problem. I predict that you shall start to give examples of people who are healed through prayer. My reply to this would be: The amount of people cured through prayer as opposed to medicine is insignificant. So insignificant that it falls into the same probability of being cured through natural healing processes, which by they way, they are.

For some people, praying to Jesus Christ can, will and did solve the problem.
Now, in this era, people usually use the medicine/medical treatment to cure their decease at first. Once the medics/doctors couldn't do anything and only shake their head and saying "I did my best..", the next to do is only pray to Jesus Christ, hope for miracle to happen. BUT when the miracle is finally happen, some people just give a very simple answer such as claimed it as a natural healing processes.

If this natural healing processes did happen, why would we even bother with medical research at all?
The doctor can say "Don't worry, natural healing processes will heal your child" to the parent.

For example, well at least toumarie had already gave two healing experiences that she received from Jesus Christ.
But you can try to read this :
http://tiberiaschurchsingaporetestimony.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/my-chronic-heel-pain-is-gone/
You can try to search the other testimony in there.

Quote by fmp111faith is belief without evidence and logic.

No sir, it's just like the wind.
what do leaves blow around in then? what is present in storms etc that knocks over builidings and trees? Just because you cant see something doesn't mean its not empirical. You can indirectly infer the existence of wind from your other senses (in this case touch) and as i have previously stated, its effects upon other objects.

Okay, as I've mentioned before that this is my last post in this thread. I think there is a different view about religion between you and me, so I do not want to continue this argue anymore. My mistake since after read your first post about Abrahamic religion. So I thought, what you mean about religion means to Christiany only but I think it's not since there are so many religions (which means there are so many gods that human believe) in this world.
So, you guys can go on...

beyondmeasure

From the mind comes the query.

Quote by darkhanyoua balance is needed......
if there is all science, the people need something to believe in....but science does help us advance in our lives

That's absolutely nonsensical.

"OK - lie to us; make us part away from our hard-earned money. Make us bleed - BLEED! As long as we feel good, we'll continue to believe in you!"

Horrendous dipshit.

chopstix07

Kintoki

Science........we didn't get technology by sitting around praying.

This, uhh...It's like comparing oil to grape juice. What the heck...you can't really say one is more important than the other. We have a debate from the previous posts, but I'd just state my comment on this.

Both of them are obviously generated from human's brain, and that both of them are made with the purpose of SEEKING ANSWER TO INFINITE QUESTIONS defined by humans. Its just that Science and Religion both has their own unique ways of finding and stating answers. Science is SUBJECTIVE, giving finite and strong EXPLANATION of things supported by actual "evidences" to support the facts given. Religion would be OBJECTIVE, providing hints and whatnot to awake our inner consciousness as so we can answer our own questions while relying to "someone higher than us".

It's just it. You can't really compare the two.

Kazenonatsu

Kazenonatsu

Day Dreamer

Why not science with religion?
If you want to see some "scientific" reasoning behind religion look to psychology. If I remember correctly from my class, in general people who actively believe in a religion are "happier" (maybe it was less depressed?) than those who claim not to believe, because they had more of a sense of purpose or reason to live than those without religion (again "in general"). By saying there is no such thing as a god isn't that narrow minded?

Secondly, look at where science is now, we can clone, almost are able to culture organs, and a whole mess of other advancements, whose to say there wasn't a being or civilization before ours that had something similiar just more advanced? I mean scientist say that there is a possibility of life on other planets, being that the galaxy is so big, theres a high probability that the anomaly of life on earth hasn't happened somewhere else? And before ours too? Now I'm just rambling well back to your discussion =)

A moment bound in eternity.

Quote by chopstix07Science........we didn't get technology by sitting around praying.

I totally agree.

I am not the one to discriminate any side. Firstly, I haven't read the bible myself, so I am in no position to super criticise. I am here to give my opinion. Yes I agree with chopstix and fmp (majorly).

In the bible, the earth wasn't mentioned to be that old...and yet Carbon-14 dating has proven much older that our planet was...

Quote by athenaThis, uhh...It's like comparing oil to grape juice. What the heck...you can't really say one is more important than the other. We have a debate from the previous posts, but I'd just state my comment on this.

Both of them are obviously generated from human's brain, and that both of them are made with the purpose of SEEKING ANSWER TO INFINITE QUESTIONS defined by humans. Its just that Science and Religion both has their own unique ways of finding and stating answers. Science is SUBJECTIVE, giving finite and strong EXPLANATION of things supported by actual "evidences" to support the facts given. Religion would be OBJECTIVE, providing hints and whatnot to awake our inner consciousness as so we can answer our own questions while relying to "someone higher than us".

It's just it. You can't really compare the two.

I think you got both mixed up. Science is fact, and theory, and we proved this, therefore we are not empathise in the experiment, we report the result. Therefore science is OBJECTIVE. In reverse, religion is base on feeling, the will for one to believe to something (ethereal world and recarnation etc). Thus I think religion is SUBJECTIVE.

merged: 12-19-2008 ~ 11:52am
Also want to add, I do believed Jesus existed in history, and probably named on the day of birth as 0 -- which gave birth to a reference of time in history.

But the question comes, is he that great? May be he did had miracles? I mean anything can happen? I am being mathematical here...anything can be possible.

I am still left here to wonder how was Jesus born? How is it god gave birth if he wasn't alive? I don't need to tell the detail? Explain pilgrims.. :)

D.Flowright

I believe it depends on how you define the two of them.

Kazenonatsu

Kazenonatsu

Day Dreamer

Quote by Flowright138

In the bible, the earth wasn't mentioned to be that old...and yet Carbon-14 dating has proven much older that our planet was...

Hmm, I don't remember there ever actually being a specific date or length of time the earth existed in the bible, although I haven't ever read it completely.

Quote by Flowright138

But the question comes, is he that great? May be he did had miracles? I mean anything can happen?

I agree with that, I once saw a show on the history channel that said there was evidence that a man named Jesus once existed. And I know there has been archeological findings proving that other figures from scriptures once existed, the real question is: who were they really?

Quote by Flowright138

I am still left here to wonder how was Jesus born? How is it god gave birth if he wasn't alive? I don't need to tell the detail? Explain pilgrims..

In the words of my psychology teacher on Moses parting the red sea "that must have been one hell of a delusion" (maybe he said hallucination though

:hmpf: oh well you get the point :) )

Secondly, that quote by chopstix07. Why do we even need technology? We as a race were still surviving before computers and such. Science doesn't give purpose, but can facilitate our lives. What "purpose" does science give? People want to believe in something after death. Religion serves the purpose of alleviating the fear of death, religious beliefs are also good ideals to have.

I believe that some religious ideals are good to have, because I believe that some of those beliefs facilitate our lives. Things like "thou shalt not kill" and stuff are good rules to live by and are things we have in our laws today as well. Some even tell us to keep healthy, and not become overweight; while others warn us of the dangers of certain acts.

Even looking at religion objectively it still has a purpose thats just as meaningful as science.

Sigh, it's pretty obvious which direction the world is moving towards, and I agree on it. Religion is the past, it's something we just believed in, because we never understood many things about our planet, and even who we are. Science is the opposite. The Bible, or whatever holy books might hold truth, but because it was in the past, they've had to fill the things not truly understood with faith. They both have their benefit and faults, I admit, but ultimately, science is the way to face our world as what it is, and not make false positives about this world as in religion.

Kazenonatsu

Kazenonatsu

Day Dreamer

Quote by FxvcvfgSigh, it's pretty obvious which direction the world is moving towards, and I agree on it. Religion is the past, it's something we just believed in, because we never understood many things about our planet, and even who we are. Science is the opposite. The Bible, or whatever holy books might hold truth, but because it was in the past, they've had to fill the things not truly understood with faith. They both have their benefit and faults, I admit, but ultimately, science is the way to face our world as what it is, and not make false positives about this world as in religion.

I agree with most of what you said, but I wouldn't say religion is "in the past" though. This is because even today religion is a major factor in shaping politics, war, and as support in moral debates (like abortion and stem cells). Even though some of the advancements we could get through stem cell research and such are still held back because of people arguing on behalf of religion. Besides even if religions vanished from earth, "faith" would still be around. I mean we have "faith" that we can trust certain people to help us. Although alot of what we think might be some divine measure of intervention, are usually just self-fulfilling prophecies: you read your horoscope today and it says "you will obtain a measure of wealth and personal gain today."You then find a dollar bill lying on the ground (heck make it a five dollar bill). This instance represents something in psychology called reinforcement (yes i know a very technical term :) ) In other words you were given a very general prediction that something was going to happen and then something that "reinforced" that belief happened. And though all the other days you were predicted to "obtain a measure of wealth" and didn't get anything, you think hey it happened today so it must be true. (well I'm not going in to detail with this so it might not make too much sense).

P.S. sorry if i sound kind of wishy washy on subjects sometimes, it's just becasue I usually accept anything and everthing as a possibility until I have first hand knowledge of it for myself, so often I argue on both sides of a debate :\

I guess science started with religion. People were seeking answers to their unknown surroundings. They made some crazy hypothesis, and used gods to answer their problems. Well, religion was supposed to be the answer, til people got smart and started thinking logically. This is where science branched out from religion. IMHO they are of equal importance, as science deals with the answers while religion could offer moral integrity.

Kazenonatsu

Kazenonatsu

Day Dreamer

Quote by zexx3101I guess science started with religion. People were seeking answers to their unknown surroundings. They made some crazy hypothesis, and used gods to answer their problems. Well, religion was supposed to be the answer, til people got smart and started thinking logically. This is where science branched out from religion. IMHO they are of equal importance, as science deals with the answers while religion could offer moral integrity.

Totally agree with that, religion (although theres no way to prove it unless you had a time machine :D ) did start out as a kind of hypothesis, people wondered why things were the way they were and took the best guess they could as to how it happened. The only problem is theres really no way (as we know of right now) to prove or dis-prove such a thing. I mean religion could have totally started out as something as simple as a bedtime story to make kids become adults who could "properly" interact in society, and just like in a game of telephone things kind of got "bigger." But then again we would need some serious archeological findings or a time machine to figure out how religion started.

Wow soo many replies, how awesome. Sorry for my lack of replies, holiday mode has kicked in X-P haha.

ook lets get started,

to ttwen

Quote by ttwen now here's the point, once a theory is verified, usually through series of experimentation with EVERY nature of that theory tested, it becomes a law. the result of a theory, can be mathematically predicted, but the actual nature might not be true. for this, i take the Ptolemy's geocentric system. his system, amazingly, can calculate and predict every position of stars and planets accurately, and is actually still used today. but the concept is geocentrism, not heliocentrism. the same for theories; the prediction might be accurate, but the nature might not. therefore (unverified)theories remain as theories.
and of course, theory can be anything, scientifically speaking, existence of alien lifeform is theoretical. so is/are God/Gods. so please don't believe so much in theories; especially in higher levels of science.

Ah, it is true that a theory may not actually describe reality in its fullest form, but its the most accurate shot at what we can make of the evidence at a point in time. The whole idea isn't acceptance of a theory BECAUSE it is a theory, but because such theories are constructed through empirical data and a rationalistic outlook.

And as for your example of Ptolemy's model, i don't see why it is used today at all, it is completely outdated, infact there are many inherent flaws about this model. An example is the idea of an epicycle (for convienience let us take the moon for example). If an epicycle is used to explain the motion of the moon, then the moon should vary enourmously in size and brightness (as the moon would come closer to earth once every epicycle or so). Obviously, this is not the case. Why? because the model was wrong, once again it is empirical evidence that proves this.

In essence, what separates credible theory from mere hypothesis? empirical evidence.

Quote by ttweni am sure, when you reach higher levels of science, and not feeding your knowledge through "popular science" you will find science is not sound at all. by the way, be it that you read popular science or not, i find most of them are not very trustworthy. because i find more deductions and opinions rather than facts, which of course they wrote them all out as facts.

Well i need reasons as to why the scientific method is unsound.

Quote by ttwenall i can say is, you still can't differentiate what is personal motivation(not out of faith), and what is really out of faith. i won't argue on that though, because you don't(or won't) understand.

Ah the sentiment is mutual then.

Quote by ttwenyou don't understand? i'll offer you an easier concept: someone has to dirty his hands for 'justice' to prevail. and this goes with hierarchy. i suppose basing on your logic here, a court judge must be executed or jailed for life because he has killed countless people with his hammer. but if laws are without 'justice', who would care about obeying the laws? who would fear the laws?
and back to God, simply put, who would care about the 10 commandments if not even God cares about people breaking his own laws?

You have misunderstood my criticism of the example. My point is that, by definition- god is omnipotent. Due to his omnipotence, he needs not use fear as motivation for others to obey him, regardless whether he himself cares about the laws, if god wanted to make people follow his word, he could. No human being is omnipotent and that is the flaw of your example- you are applying a normal human's parameters to that of a supreme being.

to kazenonatsu

Quote by kazenonatsu Why not science with religion?
If you want to see some "scientific" reasoning behind religion look to psychology. If I remember correctly from my class, in general people who actively believe in a religion are "happier" (maybe it was less depressed?) than those who claim not to believe, because they had more of a sense of purpose or reason to live than those without religion (again "in general"). By saying there is no such thing as a god isn't that narrow minded?

Secondly, look at where science is now, we can clone, almost are able to culture organs, and a whole mess of other advancements, whose to say there wasn't a being or civilization before ours that had something similiar just more advanced? I mean scientist say that there is a possibility of life on other planets, being that the galaxy is so big, theres a high probability that the anomaly of life on earth hasn't happened somewhere else? And before ours too? Now I'm just rambling well back to your discussion =)

well because religion is based upon faith? which is in direct conflict with science? (amongst other reasons, see previous posts).

Quote by kazenonatsu Secondly, that quote by chopstix07. Why do we even need technology? We as a race were still surviving before computers and such. Science doesn't give purpose, but can facilitate our lives. What "purpose" does science give? People want to believe in something after death. Religion serves the purpose of alleviating the fear of death, religious beliefs are also good ideals to have.

I believe that some religious ideals are good to have, because I believe that some of those beliefs facilitate our lives. Things like "thou shalt not kill" and stuff are good rules to live by and are things we have in our laws today as well. Some even tell us to keep healthy, and not become overweight; while others warn us of the dangers of certain acts.

Even looking at religion objectively it still has a purpose thats just as meaningful as science.

I would almost agree with you, but you see i wish to draw a distinction between moral education and religion. For me as an atheist, i still don't relish the thought of killing or causing others pain. The point is that religion is not the source of morality. And thus if religion is rejected, morality isn't rejected, the only exclusive aspect (that i can think of so far at least) unique to religion is faith.

So i completely agree with you that morality is meaningful in terms of social functioning, but what im saying is that it is faith (that is the intrinsic cornerstone of religion) that should be rejected.

(hmmm this morality counter-argument is applicable to the other posts about it so far)

priincess

priincess

?doing fun

Quote: if god wanted to make people follow his word, he could.

well of course, but He wants us to follow Him with our own WILL, bcoz then we can show our love to Him

Quote: The point is that religion is not the source of morality

how that suppose to be

Signature

Suxinn

Suxinn

Greatest of all Clocks

Let's see, Religion has given people something to believe in and it has also killed lots of others in the name of God.
Science has provided us with technology (and without that we wouldn't be here debating today) while it has also developed deadly weapons that are used in wars to kill people.

My argument is, however, that we don't need "hope" as much as we need technology.
And so, I believe that Science is more important.

Quote by Suxinn Let's see, Religion has given people something to believe in and it has also killed lots of others in the name of God.
Science has provided us with technology (and without that we wouldn't be here debating today) while it has also developed deadly weapons that are used in wars to kill people.

My argument is, however, that we don't need "hope" as much as we need technology.
And so, I believe that Science is more important.

well said indeed! also one thing we should remember is that religion isn't the only source of hope. So humankind can have both technology and hope, without religion.

I've yet to hear of a religion other than Pastafarianism that makes sense. Religion is useless. You may argue that it gives us morality but it does not. In fact, in many cases it does the exact opposite. My neighbors across the street will not so much as look at me because I am not baptist. If that is the way of god, then I am not one of his children.

Science on the other hand will never stop helping us. With science we have defined religion for what it truly is. A basis for people who cannot do anything for themselves. Particularly thinking.

merged: 01-04-2009 ~ 06:11am
I've yet to hear of a religion other than Pastafarianism that makes sense. Religion is useless. You may argue that it gives us morality but it does not. In fact, in many cases it does the exact opposite. My neighbors across the street will not so much as look at me because I am not baptist. If that is the way of god, then I am not one of his children.

Science on the other hand will never stop helping us. With science we have defined religion for what it truly is. A basis for people who cannot do anything for themselves. Particularly thinking.

priincess

priincess

?doing fun

Quote: it has also killed lots of others in the name of God.

note that God is the one who tells not to do those things

Quote: And so, I believe that Science is more important.

in fact science these days and in the future is helpful to prove that God is exist.

Quote: So humankind can have both technology and hope, without religion.

dont forget that God creates everything includes techno

Quote: Religion is useless. You may argue that it gives us morality but it does not. In fact, in many cases it does the exact opposite.My neighbors across the street will not so much as look at me because I am not baptist. If that is the way of god, then I am not one of his children.

it's your neighbors not God's fault. im not baptist but it's really okay. well, i want to one day, hehe

Quote: Science on the other hand will never stop helping us.

so does religion. well what's the different with the crime bcoz of science? both of them of course are helpful anyway

Quote: With science we have defined religion for what it truly is.

science helps religion and religion helps science, both of them are related

Signature

to priincess

Your arguments are all based upon the premise that god exists.

the point is that we have not yet established the soundness of this premise. In other words you cant just assume that god exists to make your argument work.

FIRST PROVE THAT GOD EXISTS

This must be proper empirical evidence, not some anecdote about how one of your acquaintances 'felt his presence' or 'it says so in the bible' or other nonsense like that.

Then you can use 'god' as an explanation.

Oh and also,

Quote by priincessscience helps religion and religion helps science, both of them are related

i agree on one point and dissagree on another:
1. i agree that science and religion are related in that they both make hypotheses on natural phenomena.
2. I disagree that religion helps science or science helps religion. Science and religion are antithetical to each other:

a. The very foundation of religion is based upon faith (belief without/in spite of evidence).
b. The very foundation of science is based upon empirical evidence. (belief validated by empirical evidence, i.e. empirical evidence is necessary)

and thus as Richard Dawkins says 'religion is CORROSIVE to science' and science is corrosive to religion.

page 4 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 104 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.