Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Being an otaku, waste of youth? - Minitokyo

Being an otaku, waste of youth?

page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next » 169 total items

Well i'm the kind of guy who likes to play videogames, watch anime, think up stories when i'm bored and i absolutely hate going out, don't like any sports, don't like drinking alcoholic stuff and hate dancing and stuff like that, i never had a girlfriend but i would like one that shares my line of thought. Someone told me that i was wasting my youth. But i myself think that if i don't do this when i'm still young, when am i going to do this stuff?, this are the things i like to do, but it would be embarrassing to do this as and adult, i think everyone should do what they like, as long as it doesn't bother others. I don't know what everyone think about this but i don't think its a waste, i think this is the best way to live youth.

Alden

Alden

Lose the Pride.

To me, not really but I think anime is not a waste of youth unless it prevents you from going to school or getting a job. Then there is a problem.

Click ----> Japanese Lover! ^_^

Kazenonatsu

Kazenonatsu

Day Dreamer

I do lots of different things, but most of it is otaku-ish (drawing, reading manga, watching anime, playing video games, etc.). I airsoft and have a part time job for school too and like to get out every once in a while, but I mostly like to sit at home playing games and stuff. I LIVE for entertainment :D I think people should be able to do whatever they want to do in their freetime, as long as they are not becoming a burden on the rest of the world.

I know people who think otherwise though; some accept the other ways people want to live their lives, while others don't though. (my step-mom for example would always try to kick me off games, but I think thats just some personal friction goin on cause my younger bro plays WOW whenever he has freetime ^_^')

A moment bound in eternity.

Don't go full-on nerdy and it won't be a waste of youth at all. In fact, if you can manage your time well enough so that you can be an otaku, and enjoy your healthier years I'd say you're living one awesome life. Taking advantage of the times when you are most active and energetic is the way to keep your youth in check. In no way does that mean that sitting around every once in a while being a total sit in isn't a bad thing. Go for it! Just express yourself. If you're lazy, be happy with it. Use that youthful energy to stay up all night looking at minitokyo!

I'm young, I don't really care :D

one day you'll care,

you need to make sure you have constructive hobby well in otaku related (draws, edits pictures, wrote stories) or non otaku (plays music and such) and do it in groups

don't go full nerdy and still go outside plays with your other friends go find a date then it won't be a waste of youth

Alden

Alden

Lose the Pride.

Quote by r31yaone day you'll care,

you need to make sure you have constructive hobby well in otaku related (draws, edits pictures, wrote stories) or non otaku (plays music and such) and do it in groups

don't go full nerdy and still go outside plays with your other friends go find a date then it won't be a waste of youth

Yes what she said.

Enjoy anime and mangas but don't make it your life unless you are gonna be part of a major anime studio or something.

Click ----> Japanese Lover! ^_^

Northy

Northy

Guys are human as well.

Don't shut yourself out from doing any and all kinds of physical activity, though, or you will definitely notice it as you grow older, mostly from being horribly out of shape and/or prone to diseases a healthy person wouldn't catch nearly as easily. It doesn't necessarily have to be a particular kind of sport, but get off the TV screen every once in a while.

BobaFett2ha

BobaFett2ha

Mandalore

It seems like I'm going against the popular wisdom here, but for me, being an otaku has pretty much been a waste of my youth. I spent many years where all I did in my free time was watch anime and surf otaku sites and such. It was only earlier this year, really, that I woke up and realized I actually preferred going out and interacting with people. Don't get me wrong: I still love anime; hell, I'm on this site replying to you now. But I think I'm now well on my way to finding the right balance. Needless to say, I'm considerably happier now that I've given up some of my otaku nature.

So my advice is this: you might think that you don't like going out, but that will probably change. I know I don't know you, so I'm not saying that's for sure. However, I think it's a part of growing up as an otaku. So get a group of friends that also like anime, and go out and do something that is unrelated to anime. Go out for a drink, or go play pool, or watch a live-action movie. I don't think you'll regret it.

"The ugly and thin cattle ate up the seven sleek and fat cattle." - Genesis 41:4

ChiekoKawabe

ChiekoKawabe

Music, music, I love K-Pop!!

It's not a real waste of youth, however, it'd be more healthy if you didn't sit on your butt all day. =P Even if being an otaku isn't a waste of youth, everyone should do their exercising, be at least semi-social, and take time out of their day to do what is really important in their life. Life will not always revolve around anime 'cause when you get older, you have to do other things. It's best to practice doing them now so that you won't look like a dummy when you have no idea how to communicate with potential job bosses or a potential girlfriend (or even wife).

I think it's best to have a balance of everything.

kumiho

kumiho

every artist was 1st an amateur

IT IS SO NOT WASTE OF YOUTH! >.<
as long as yu ar not blind about things of the world (like Global Warming)

in my opinion, yu can do whatever yu like as long as it's healthy for yu (in mind and body)

it is not waste of youth if it doesn't make yu an anti-social person, everyone need others to share their thoughts, dreams, vision, and anything. So, be sure yu can still make friends with other.

also God gives yu some talent and it is a waste if yu don't use it in a right way. find out your talent and sharpened it, it can make life worth while.

besides it's good to have everything in balanced since something with an 'over' in front is bad for everyone especially for yourself

Signature
"pictures are beautiful, they can entrap beauty forever"

Northy

Northy

Guys are human as well.

I think the point is that if you ARE an otaku, you basically don't care for anything but anime and Japanese games, up to shutting anything else out. And that is a waste of youth.

See, if you do have any interests outside of anime, whether that be just a walk outside every now and then, you're already disqualified from being an otaku. Honestly, I think too many people are too quick to label themselves otaku because they like anime. Liking anime doesn't make you an otaku. It makes you an anime fan. I am an anime fan, but I am NOT an otaku, mostly because I've got several non-anime related interests as well.

If there was a way you can use your interest to make a living, then it is not a waste, but for most people, then yeah.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

Tenin

Tenin

as long as you dont kill yourself, or become a burden to others, its all good. i like soccer so im not always inside...

Why is it always the uncle...

Daemoro

Daemoro

Charatouille or Bust

Northy speaks the truth.

I happen to work full-time and have non-anime interests (like drawing and biking)

According to my calculations, your problem doesn't exist.

Oh, and mostly anti-celeb/anti-Hollywood/anti-commercial since 1978

Lacuslover81

Lacuslover81

One big and true lover of Lacus

Yeah it is not waste it is a side thing with me I do like alot of toher stuff alos and I do leave the house and do things so it not with me either.

A true lover of Lacus Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

fujyoshi

fujyoshi

half elf flame haze

I don't think your a waste as a matter of fact I'm the same as you and I'm a girl -_= I don't go out I don't drink I prefer anime manga and videos to social situations it doesn't make us bad people.

meh sig banners are overrated

I don't think it's a waste of your youth. I have to say that I am not a hardcore otaku, but in some situtations I feel the same like you. I think we should do what makes us happy no matter what that is. In our case it just happens to be the love for anime/manga.

I don't think I'll let anyone tell me what I should do or make me feel uncomfortable just because I am not doing what they're doing

i personally don't think that it's a waste of youth. as long as you're happy with what you're doing, i don't think it's a 'waste'. i'd rather be an otaku than be out partying every night anyway..

Rayzi

Rayzi

Is it anime? Then no.

I don't think it's a waste as long as you do it in moderation. I have some of the same issues as you do. I don't usually like going out, and when I do, it's with my mom. T_T I don't drink either. The only time I do anything related to dancing is when I'm alone at home with my headphones on. :P And vise-versa, I've never had a boyfriend.

And I share your thought: If you don't enjoy this stuff when you're young, when will you? I don't think I would be too proud of myself as an adult to say I'm still into this stuff when I'm like, 35. :P Same thought: It would probably be embarrassing. I know people that are a minimum of 30 years old, are still major Otakus, and they have no life, are immature, and are really annoying because they haven't grown up and really need to. They have families, and aren't living up to their responsibilities as a spouse/parent because they are too immature to do so.

I don't think it's a waste for everyone though. It's a hobby just like any other in a lot of young people's lives right now. And who cares what anybody else thinks about anime? Many people criticize it because they don't even fully grasp what it is. I could say "It's a waste of youth" to many other people who have another kind of hobby, so who's to pick on someone else who fills their time with something they like?

I think it's a question of "Is this affecting anyone else other than me? Hurting my studies?" Or "even becoming an impairment?" I think answers to these questions determine whether or not something is a waste of your time. And these can apply to everyone when it comes to anything.

So I agree with your statement of "as long as it doesn't hurt others." But I would also add: As long as it doesn't hurt me and/or my life also.

Hope I helped answer at least half of your question. :)

kitsunesama

kitsunesama

Kensei

It's not a waste being an otaku. I'm an otaku but not the stereotype since I play sports and go out with my friends. For me, I always think of the line between fantasy and reality which helps me control my urge for anime.

I like playing videogame watching anime and reading manga just like you...but i had never thought not to go out with friends to play videogames alone!....that's bad...
being an otaku is definitely not a waste of time, the roblem is how much being an otaku affect your life..
personally i like to talk about anime, but if i don't go out how can i do that?

Lunariha

Lunariha

Glitter~♥

Nnnaahhhh....I don't think soo XD

Signature
My Latest Artworks: Just Realized and My #7

I don't know where do you come from, but if you like to do all of those things do it, if that doesn't affect your personal or others life... go ahead, but in my country people don't look well this joby, they say being young is to play soccer or any sport, going out with friends to dance.

page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next » 169 total items

Back to Hobbies & Sports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.