Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 SP2...lagging/crashing games? (Note of warning and help!) - Minitokyo

SP2...lagging/crashing games? (Note of warning and help!)

page 1 of 1 8 total items

MissCz

MissCz

// divine execution. //

This is sorta in reference to asuk's thread...

I've been getting a LOT of mixed reports of SP2, about how it increases CPU speed, and how it does wonders for XP users. On the other hand, those like me, have been suffering from it. *weeping*

My programs that are related to P2P connections such as Ares have been having problems connecting. (Yes, I've tried increasing the amount of connections with that program that's floating around the Net.) Not only that, but one of those most horrendous things that's happened to me, is that all my games crash (or freeze for like 5 minutes at all time), so I'm unable to play NIFTY things like The Sims 2. ^^

But with all due seriousness, my computer is running fine, barring these annoyances. The problem is that I've failed to backup SP1 when I installed SP2...so all those considering installing SP2, take those into account. Also, Google for problems that arise...just a suggestion.

As for me, I can't downgrade to SP1 again, and I don't feel like formatting..is anyone else encountering this problem, or has anyone fixed it? Or am I going to have to sit around and wait for MS to release an updated SP2?

Cheers! :D

PS - I'm alive! Sorta.

Signature

>> A d e s i r e to | e x p r e s s | myself. <<

You're probably having trouble connecting to P2P because of WinXP's firewall that SP2 activates by default.

As for games, I'm not an XP user so I'm not sure why that would occur, but the firewall may also affect games that have a client/server architecture. I'd expect that to be a problem on startup though. Example here, Zone Alarm warns me that IL-2 Sturmovik wants to make a connection to 127.0.0.1 (Local host) ever time it runs. If I denied that connection, there may be issues running the game (I've never actually tried).

Perhaps you should try disabling the Security Center features?

I'm sure someone will be able to provide more suggestions beyond just that.

MissCz

MissCz

// divine execution. //

Well, I'm no n00b when it comes to firewalls and stuff, but yes, I have disabled XP firewall and all. ^^ And as for the games, The Sims 2 is just an example of a game that's NOT client/server based...just a nice single player game, so that can't be the case. Several of my friends have encountered the same problem (when it comes to games that is), and quite frankly, we're ready to bash our heads in. :D

But thank you for the comments! It'll surely help others encountering the same type of problems, and maybe it'll be an easier thing to solve than mine.

Much appreciated, Shrike! :)

Signature

Maybe it's worth a try to backup your saves and reinstall one game and test it that way? And there's always the cookie-cutter support response of "make sure all your drivers are up to date".

Maybe try checking a community site for The Sims 2. If it's a problem with SP2 itself, I'm sure there would be lots of discussions on how to get it fixed. And maybe the fix is to Windows itself so it would solve the problems for all of the games.

jackalx66

jackalx66

Blau Mond

in me it's just fine....
hey i play sims 2 also
nothing happened..........

are u download it?
if yes try another download it maybe fix the problem.....

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Kei-kun

Kei-kun

Loving Mizuho

It could be many things. First I'm sure you've cleaned your PC using an antivirus program (such as Norton), and also cleaned your PC of spy-ware and ad-ware (using Ad-aware and Spysweeper). You also bear in mind to update all your Windows drivers and software, and your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. Also update your DirectX, which is currently at version 9.0c.

A thing about the windows firewall, although you've disabled it at the main panel, you should also check out the individual boxes settings under the Advanced tab. i.e.:
Control Panel -->> Windows Firewall -->> Advanced, then uncheck every single box, then OK (you should know this, since you're an experienced user on PCs).

Do you have other firewall setup? Like a hardware SPI firewall at your router or modem, or another software firewall besides the Windows firewall?

Probably have to tweak around with the ports and addresses to maximise the connection flow.

I don't know much, all the stuff I just suggested are basics.

MissCz

MissCz

// divine execution. //

Kei-kun, I've done pretty much all of those things. I'm one of those obsessive kinda people who get all irritable if things aren't clean, and in full working order when it comes to computers. :P

As for gaming issues, it's not just The Sims 2, other games such as wciii, and Dawn of War have been experiencing pretty much the same thing. I used The Sims 2 as an example because it doesn't utilize the Internet to play. If you try googling something along the lines of "sp2 slowing games down" or any of that type, similar issues are raised.

Shrike, my drivers are pretty much up to date. Nothing immediately springs to mind that I haven't updated, although maybe my bios? Lol, doubtful. I'll give a reinstallation of a game a whirl though.

Many thanks for both of your replies though. Although I don't necessarily see a solution that's clear as day at the moment, and because nobody else replying seems to be having issues, I'm hoping this post will help clarify some issues that others might/could be having at the moment, and for those who're sketchy on downloading and utilizing SP2, at least it's a note of warning before you try something from Microsoft. Yay. ^^

Signature

SP2 automatically turns on the firewall which is evil and when you turn it off an evil icon stays on your taskbar which is annoying (but there is a way to turn it off) other than that, SP2 shouldn't affect anything.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.