Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 My first vector - Blue Magician - Minitokyo

My first vector - Blue Magician

page 1 of 1 11 total items

WindAlchemist

WindAlchemist

Waiting for you to find me...

Since it was too small to be submitted to the MT gallery and I really do want some advice, I decided to post this here! *copy pastes what would have been her description*

Uwwaahh, I finally learned how to vector! Thanks so much to Sel-oneechan for giving me tutorials!

And since this is my first vector, I am allowed at least one giant beginners mistake and that mistake is that I never enlarged the original screenshot which makes me cry! So much work for something to come out so small, but oh well since its too late T_T

Details~:
Time: Probably around 7~8 hours over 3 days
Layers: 41

Criticism is very welcome since I really want to get better and make more of these!

Vector: http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/701/vectormuntoscreen.jpg

EDIT: Here is the screenshot I vectored this off of: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7532/screenmunto2.jpg

:D

Signature Image

CaMiLi

CaMiLi

ALL HAIL LULU!

ah so you're sakurah :D *wondered when i saw u in msn*

ppretty nice for your first vector. the only advice that i can give you is to make the outlines sharper. it would be nicer that way. they're too soft and too blurry.

DO U NEED A USERPAGELAYOUT? JUST WRITE ME A PM ^^Signature Image

WindAlchemist

WindAlchemist

Haha, hi! :D

Ah, the lines are like that because of the "beginners" method I used ^^; You mean sharper like how his eyes are? Cause I used a different more advanced pen tool method for his eyes which would be why they're different.

Thanks for replying! :D

Signature Image

Chuckstar

Chuckstar

Mr. Customer

Yeah, like you said, you should have made it bigger to begin with. Hmm... you could also sharpen the tips of the hair. Now the lineart kinda rounds it out a bit. Erase some of the points to make it smaller.

The shadow on the chin looks a bit... wobbly. xD Oh and some of the lineart don't "connect", like the chin or some lines below that.

I know you were following the original picture with this, but it's not bad to add some of your own stuff maybe. Like, for example, add some more shadows or more levels of shadows. Use multiple references from either screenshots or fanart. (I added the coloring and some other stuff myself for the Shima wallpaper)

It increases the amount of work you have to do but I think it stays more true to the original then. A lot of people won't notice though, we seem to agree on that. xD

Sorry if I sound a bit hazy. I'm sleepy. xD

"That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter when."
"All the stars in the sky are waiting for you."
- Reverie Planetarian

WindAlchemist

WindAlchemist

Well there isn't a whole lot I can do about the hair not having tips because of the beginners pen tool method I used to vector the lines, but I am definitely going to work on that for the next vector I make. Trying to erase bits to make them sharper would turn out horribly, trust me I have tried that type of thing on other pictures xD

Yeah, I see whats wrong with the chin now D8 Theres a line that didn't connect correctly xD *fixes*
Here is something a tiny bit better for his chin: http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/701/vectormuntoscreen.jpg xD
And yeah, I noticed the lack of lines connecting as I was coloring it. Theres nothing I can do about that for this particular vector now, but I will work on that much more on my next vectors!

As for adding my own stuff, I decided not to try to do that really since its my first and was mostly just practice for getting use to how to vector. But one thing that I've always had the hardest time with even back to when I traced/drew is shadow placement D: The whole shadow concept just kind of got lost on me in art class T_T

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! :3

Signature Image

selemental

selemental

GONE. lol

It looks cool ichi-nii ;D
And yes! The second method used on the eyes r perfect! If u use it on the other parts it'll look better though dont forget the 1st method, it can help for long lines and curves =D just make sure when too blurry, sharpen and when too jittery, blur =D

Owner of: tou-no-uwaMember of: userpageskindesigns

ASH-Hikari

ASH-Hikari

I miss you MT <3

Better than my first vector was, for sure :P
Like selemental said, I'd recommend trying shape layers for the whole thing, not just the eyes, since you do already seem to know how it's done. It will definetely look better. Even if the lines come out jagged at first, it doesn't take too much practice to get that fixed ^^
Also for this one I see you left it the same size as the screenshot, which is fine, but remember, soon when you're a great vectorer and want to submit them to MT you'll have to resize your source image to a big resolution so you can submit them ^^
Overall the best thing is to keep practicing. You already seem to have the hang of it so you're off to a great start. And don't be afraid to play around a bit, like deepening colours or trying effects...it's not hard at all and it's the most fun part for me XD

Signature

WindAlchemist

WindAlchemist

Thanks so much you two for more advice! :D
And yes, I will definitely remember from now on to increase the size of smaller images I may be using ^^;
I already have a new picture I'm working on for more practice as well! I hope I can become really really great at vectoring, its a lot more fun than I thought it would have been!

Signature Image

omg o_O

WindAlchemist

WindAlchemist

Quote by HinamorixAmuomg o_O

Is that a good or a bad "omg o_O"?

D:

Signature Image

It's good! and cool >-< nice work!

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.