Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 The "Race Game" - Minitokyo

The "Race Game"

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Today in my Psychology class, instead of the standard lecture, we were given an unexpected assignment by a campus diversity coordinator. It was called the "Race Game." The apparent concept of the game is to try going a whole day excluding people of other races from your everyday speech, in much the same way that someone might serve a white person but not a black person at a pharmacy counter. After spending a day doing this, we are to write a paper on our feelings and observations from it.
I'm choosing not to play along, simply because I find it completely tactless, and possibly dangerous. I understand the purpose of it, and I understand how acting that way would affect people. But to go to this length to prove a point? It just seems so crude to behave like that so you can understand the seriousness of discrimination in America.
The biggest problem with this little "game" is that you are the only one who knows that it's a game. If it was a campus wide deal, it wouldn't be so bad, because then the other students and faculty would know the reason for you to act this way. As it is, if you were to recognize only white people, you are going to offend so many students and faculty, and possibly gain a reputation of being a total asshole.
I have nothing against people of other races, cultures, religions, or sexual orientations. I actually get disgusted when I think that a human being could possibly be such an idiot that they could think they are better than others for such stupid reasons... Perhaps I overreact a little when it comes to issues like this because of past experiences, but I don't agree with the logic behind assigning this "game."

Has anyone else heard of or participated in this?

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."
http://my.gpxpl.us/BloodWolfX

melymay

melymay

Abomidable Snow-Woman

Just do what he told you to do. If you understand the reason behind the game, good for you. Knowledge is a lot different from experience. Besides, if this is university, should it really matter whether you want or don't want to finish an assignment or not?

I've never heard of this game. I've only been aware of what the game is trying to . . . "reveal" you could say.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

that is cruel and no I have never been part of something like that, if it was me I would have seriously complained about it, for since it's merely bringing more pain unto you and the people you have to talk to/ignore I think it's tasteless and they should have found a better "game" to play like something else...I'd probably be the even crueler person and mention it's a game for class if I had to play this game

BuBbLeS!

Signature

ttwen

ttwen

somebody

well to deal with assholes you need to think like assholes. im guessing this game is to teach you how to think/feel like an asshole.

While it may sound cruel, I think I'd have participated in the"game". I'm one of those who understands what it means to be discriminated (as I have been discriminated so many times), but I've never been in the "discriminator's" shoes, and I guess it's important to understand his/her view, even if you don't agree with it.

As ttwen said, you gotta think like an asshole to understand one (and ultimately deal with them).

Of course, I understand why you don't want to participate. Aside from the reputation, it's really hard to act like an asshole to someone just because they're in a certain category, be it religion, race, etc.. as it goes against your ideology.

Tenin

Tenin

im discriminant against discriminant people...
which means im discriminant against my self...
Awkward XD

( i agree fully with Mr./Mrs./Ms. Poster.)

Why is it always the uncle...

Davo

Davo

I'll kill you

i think the "game" don't solve the problem only make mooooore big, is big bad idea and more pragmatic , i think is unnecesary because exist other better ways to understand the feelings of other people when are discriminate...it's a emotion inherit in the human called "empathy" where you put in the place of other to understand their feelings...i support you for no "play this nocive game"

Signature Image
DAVO THE ECCHIMAKER :"If a demon stands in my way, I will cut him apart. If a saint stands in my way, I will cut him apart"

yup agree with u that only u are the one that is the one who knows that it's just a game
but most probably he/she will tell u the explanation and everything after the whole game
if he/she doesn't tell the sch and everyone then he/she kinda insensitive or ...
but u see if he/she tells everyone it's a game before the game then it would defeat the purpose as everyone will act differently knowing that it's just a game
their reactions to ur actions would not be real
but it's true that it's kinda unfair for those who got discriminated and may offend those ppl
also can't blame him as he is just trying to make the lesson more appealing and interesting that's all
and let u guys see how ppl will react and collect statistics / info ?

That sounds sort of harsh, whoa. But yea, it seems like there would be an explanation after it. I wouldn't participate in this game either though, its just too...risky like what you said. Things may go wrong and unwanted racial tension may happen.

I wouldn't participate in that 'game' either... what's really the point anyway? my guess is that you experience how life while respecting only once race is difficult/impossible/not fulfilling. Not matter the reason, a 'game' where you have to be a jerk and/or act against your principles is just wrong.

Quote by AndelI wouldn't participate in that 'game' either... what's really the point anyway? my guess is that you experience how life while respecting only once race is difficult/impossible/not fulfilling. Not matter the reason, a 'game' where you have to be a jerk and/or act against your principles is just wrong.

please don't take so hard...
just a game still..

hard think..... urrgghhhh/....

That sounds awful- I'd just BS it.

I wouldn't participate in that 'game' either... what's really the point anyway? my guess is that you experience how life while respecting only once race is difficult/impossible/not fulfilling. Not matter the reason, a 'game' where you have to be a jerk and/or act against your principles is just wrong. That sounds sort of harsh, whoa. But yea, it seems like there would be an explanation after it. I wouldn't participate in this game either though, its just too...risky like what you said. Things may go wrong and unwanted racial tension may happen.

Quote by Davoi think the "game" don't solve the problem only make mooooore big, is big bad idea and more pragmatic , i think is unnecesary because exist other better ways to understand the feelings of other people when are discriminate...it's a emotion inherit in the human called "empathy" where you put in the place of other to understand their feelings...i support you for no "play this nocive game"

why discriminate people
see if something happen to our self what are you going to do with that if we can try to understand one another why discriminating others it's irritating

yoo

dollyneir

dollyneir

Tuna Stalker

i hate people who discriminates.. they should just disappear so the world get peace.

Signature
Humans hide behind the curtain they knitted, and stay there for ages.
I'll never be one of them.

just gotta run

lololololol

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.