Sales Drop & Budgets Fall

As an anime viewer where do you think you stand in this ?

Guilty, because i don't spend any money for anime
0 votes
Disappointed, because others don't spend, unlike me
2 votes
Powerless, it is beyond anything i can do
1 votes
I blame the outside of japan licensing-distribution companies
1 votes
Fansubbers have lost their ethics
1 votes
None of the above, I will elaborate in my post
0 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Cancel

This post is made up of quotes and opinions about how the anime indutry is doing and how its affected

"Since last year, the number of productions and their budgets have been falling"
says Junichi Takagi, 35, a producer for anime production studio Gonzo

read more:
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/features/news/20090704p2a00m0na020000c.html

...anime sales in the United States dropped only 2% in the first quarter of 2009 versus the first quarter of 2008. By comparison, anime sales dropped 11% in 2008 compared to 2007...
(which is nontheless 13% overall in 2 years)

read more:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-06-26/u.s-anime-sales-drop-only-2-percent-in-q1-2009-vs-q1-2008

ethical opinions:
"...no one is entitled to free entertainment,. I do see a lot of fans who keep on taking and taking and never give back to the system..."
http://animealmanac.com/2009/01/07/an-email-about-fansubs-and-morality/

What I think about fansubs:

There are two kinds of fansubbing groups:

The first take up the risk of working on a new and unknown anime on jp tv, without guarantees for how the show will turn out or how popular it will be and will probably leave it after it's licensed. They work sorely to make something they like more popular. Borderline legal but ethical.

The second will only work on well known and 99% of the time licensed anime, no risks and less effort required. Likely to work with anime streaming sites and servers that require "donations". In this kind are also included the ones who will use u.s. released anime dvds, which is simple thievery. Illegal and unethical.

Lastly,
What companies like Gonzo that will try with online airing little after broadcast is try to make people undestand that other stream sites and torrents (when it comes to something licensed) works against what they like and by supporting the official online distribution they support directly the very creators of the shows they like, since with dvds people feel too much of a gap between their money and the people who should be getting them.

Everything in this world.
Exists to wear you down.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

Cancel

well it's not that it's slowed down per say but more along the lines of online and the sites, I buy stuff yet others still rather get theirs from online which isn't fair to those that do spend it regardless of where they buy the anime at/from

BuBbLeS!

Signature

raptor23

All thats right is wrong

Cancel

Im not a huge anime watcher but ive seen a number of them and if i like it I will buy it. On the other hand I will also download it and feel no shame in it. this is why, A.) Ive already seen it and want to watch it again. ex. something Ive seen on tv. B.) Something i havent seen and dont want to run out and buy something to find out its crap. C.) Its a huge long series and I sure as hell am not going to spend the money to buy all of the $20 or more 3-4 ep dvds. Then again I love Fma and did buy all the single dvd but Ive seen it all and love the series. Also I got the DBZ season box sets. thats something worth my money. With bleach I have it all downloaded cause well the dub sucks and like i said im not buying the over priced few ep dvds. Thats my take on it.

• Jul 12, 2009
Cancel

Maybe it's because of an unknown thing that didn't make the headlines called crisis. Losses of jobs, houses make harder to spend into less important things. Even the people not affected directly can be more careful about their spending.

On the other hand, I will love to have a box edition of Code Geass with lot of bonus... but the rest... well, I am not much a rewatcher of anime, I am just more likely to spend my money on goodies, so that's better than nothing... especially when we see a single quite plain keychain of Gundam Seed Destiny is more than 5 dollars. -_-

But well I don't buy anime-related things in the USA since I am not American and think anime/manga is quite expensive there. On the other hand, I always make the numbers bigger for Nintendo in the USA because the games are a better deal compared to the places I can get my things.

Signature

• Aug 04, 2009

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.