Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 LAB color mode - Minitokyo

LAB color mode

page 1 of 1 7 total items

http://www.creativepro.com/article/inside-photoshop-the-color-lab
Recently I started using LAB color sliders in photoshop to pick colors instead of HSV just for the hell of it. And I started getting curious as to exactly what the hell LAB was, being the color nerd that I am. Though I'm also very lazy so I never bothered to research it...

Then while browsing good ol' DA I came across Janaschi's journal post... and it's very clear from the examples that LAB blends colors better than standard RGB or CMYK. And that's where I found the link I just posted.

So in short, basically while CMYK uses the primary colors of ink, and RGB uses the primary colors of light, LAB treats colors the way the human eye does (Lightness (rods), (a)green+red, (b)blue+yellow (cones)) and therefore has a complete spectrum of colors visible to humans whereas the other systems are limited. Also, LAB can be converted to CMYK for printing without the color discrepencies that RGB to CMYK does.

In the realm of digital painting, it actually causes the colors to blend differently, since luminescence is treated separately from color. So yeah, seems pretty cool, I'll be experimenting to see what happens.

EDIT: This just in... LAB mode ROCKS MY SOCKS OFF.
It's like painting with a lightweight dodge and burn that doesn't destroy the colors. *_* And the blending is so smooth it's unbelievable... I'm not getting those weird pixelly dark spots anymore. (in my research I have discovered that 8-bit RGB blends subtractively, hence the dark spots...) You can't save jpgs in LAB, but I don't effing care. It's wonderful to work in.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

?????? ????

ViciousDelicious

ViciousDelicious

Blazing Sp!r!t

Quote by DarthTofuhttp://www.creativepro.com/article/inside-photoshop-the-color-lab
Recently I started using LAB color sliders in photoshop to pick colors instead of HSV just for the hell of it. And I started getting curious as to exactly what the hell LAB was, being the color nerd that I am. Though I'm also very lazy so I never bothered to research it...

Well, this is probably the first time I meet an amateur talking about Lab color system on the web site like this one. Don't feel offended by the "amateur" word, since based on your declaration I have the right to assume that you are one. Unless I'm wrong - then I apologize.
My major is commercial art, therefore, graphic design, publishing as well as the digital photography fall into my program of studies. If you'd go into those majors you'd certainly learn that Lab or L*a*b* is one of the finest color systems. It is considered as the ideal color system among most (if not all) Pros who deal with editing images (but not only). However there is a "BUT"... I
encourage you to read more about Lab color system, 'cause probably my opinion would mean less than nothing to you.
Although, there is no point for you or anyone to use Lab when working in Photoshop. Why is that? Because none of your devices can display the real Lab color gamut. If you haven't noticed, all of the devices that "emit" colors, such as computer monitors they display the colors using RGB color system... then please tell me how is it possible for a RGB device to switch into Lab? It's like asking a device to speak in unknown language. The color gamut is being limited by the capability if the monitor etc. Same with printing images done in Lab color systems - none of them will resemble the true Lab colors because none of the printers can work in Lab, but CMYK.
The scientists are still working on creating devices that would "communicate" between each other, so using the Lab color system would be possible. Until then, Lab color system is just an ideal system, however can't be fully displayed. I hope that it makes sense.

Shugotenshi-Alice

Broken Rag-Doll

lol i use lab many times before and didn't know

i know it was different than RGB and CMYK because the color displays different

that's true vicuous but when i change color profiles and color modes i can see the difference in photoshop but once i upload it on the web it color doesn't show.. photoshop itself shows the color but not all your typical picture viewers will espcially the ones that come with your computer

wow i'm impressed how old are you?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\*_______________*////////////

what lab stand for?

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.