Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do you think living forever would be a blessing? Or a curse? - Minitokyo

Do you think living forever would be a blessing? Or a curse?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next » 222 total items

After seeing some comments about wishing to be immortal on the extraordinary powers wish thread,
I was curious about how many people would really want to live forever, or just grow old and die one day.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live forever. I mean, what if the apocalypse comes soon? LOL! ^_^'
And what if you were the only immortal one? You'd have to keep watching the friends or family you have grow without you and die. :\

Definitely would be a curse for me. Life is not a gift but is rather imposing and I have a hard enough time just trying to live it. What with all the limitations that is set due to laws or expectations from family.

There's no point in wishing for silly things such super powers or even immortality. We're in 2009 and humans have not and will not ever unite. Racism is ripe, same goes for no tolerance as well. So no, I would never, ever want to live forever, and it would be far from a blessing because there is no god and we are all doomed!

springheeljack

springheeljack

The Return

it would of course be a curse
seeing everyone you knew and love die and never being able to die yourself
witnessing all the death and destruction in the world
it would be a nightmare

You may bury my body in a supermarket aisle
Bury my body in the fresh meat aisle
You may bury my body in a supermarket aisle
And I will rise again like an exocet missile Signature Image

I wish to grow old with my friends & family and die.Hate to be an immortal! Immortality is a CURSE

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

living forever is not for me, to never grow old, to never die, would become uber depressing and would lose all hope in living, but there again, depends on what angle of being immortal would be, in the end people would still die eventually just take longer...like vampyre, typical immortal...this goes in many directions...personally if we could chose to be immortal in certain ways I'd chose vampyre, can't stand the sunlight, let there would be the option upon death, whereas a sword would take another person down, etc...

BuBbLeS!

Signature

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Immortality-- definitely a curse. Who wants to live forever while everyone they know and love dies? That would be torture to me.

Signature Image

chopstix07

Kintoki

It'd be quite an adventure on the upside i'd get to study every little thing without fear of wasting my time and life. On the downside like everyone said it'd be pretty depressing watching everyone die. So on a scholarish/science view it would be a blessing, but on a personal level it'd be quite the curse.

Only an idiot would want to live forever...
Sorry Freeza and other villains who wanted immorality.....

? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ? ????? ?? ?????

for me it would be a curse, i mean who would want to live 4eva definitely not me

Kan-tastic

Kan-tastic

Grind.

Depends. Do I continue to grow old forever? That would be a curse, BIG TIME.

@vatican92
Be nice to those who want it. Freeza and the other villains are already immoral.... (I think you meant to say "immortality" )

I can't stay here with every single hope I had shattered...

I definitely agree with Kan-tastic, it definitely would be.

Blessing, think of the things your could see and do with an eternity. Even if you continue to age, advancements in plastic surgery should eventually get to a point where you could be restored.

erdeteha

erdeteha

vectorist not terrorist

CURSE! nothing special in this world life...

happy and positive

I rather grow old with grace n dignity, n go to paradise than living forever. Who wants to be around pain, murder, deceit, gossip, racism, etc. forever? Immorality is a curse.

Marked by the outsider.Signature Image

I read a few days ago, in the newspaper, that a scientist is leading a series of investigations on genes that would allow to humans live forever.

I guess they're working on how to avoid genes to be destroyed by free radicals, given that we become old because of OXIDATION, and it's impossible that there could exist "genes of death", because it goes against the main function of the genes: to live. Plants and lower livin beings breath carbon dioxid and release oxigen, originally toxic, but when oxygen became more common, we had to adapt to breath it. But at cellular level, oxygen is managed as far away from the nucleus as possible.

I hope they're not creating a Frankenstein nor a Homo Superior

NOW, DOWN TO THE QUESTION:
To me, it'll be a CURSE to be ATTACHED to LIVING CONDITION forever. I'd be condemned to always lose my loved ones, to watch the world changing constantly, that would be interesting, but I'd also be watching the places I loves dissapear. Even if I became beautifull and younger as in Anne Rice's vampires, I asume it'd got to have a cost.

Because of my beliefs, I'd rather see what's on the other side of dead, how is the afterlife, if there's still a path to walk there or if it's the final, resting destination of a journey.

NOW, SOMETHING WEIRD:
As a catechist, I have to attend some classes about pedagogy and Historyand education in faith. one day, a seminarist talked to us about Human condition, and also about espirits (angels and demons). But then, he talked about Human innmortals. "You're kidding us, no?" "You have been watching too many movies" "You talking about undead, as in vampyres?" (here in Mexico there's no folk tradition about undeads). Well, he refused to continue and changed the subject. Enigmatic and weird, huh? I don't believe in the "Vatican's numerous cospirations" theory, much less that they're hiding or watching over "innmortals". Maybe the guy was just plain nuts.

depends on your point of view, someone who doesnt care about anything and is wealthy will eventually choose to live forever (they may be mad in their heads lol, just my opinion)

Hit fast, hit hard and never look back.

Suxinn

Suxinn

Greatest of all Clocks

I know most people would consider a curse, but it would definitely be a blessing to me.

I mean, come on, even without immortal life, we see people we love die around us all the time. What will being allowed to continue living affect that? It won't. Not really. Besides, even if we don't have immortal life or see people we love die, we will still, most likely, inevitably, lost touch with quite a few of people that have been important to us. That's life. It doesn't matter if you live forever or not, those things still happen and will continue to happen.

And, with immortality, think about how much you'll be able to do. How many things you'll be able to accomplish. And, with all the things we're screwing up now, I'm pretty sure we'll still be screwing up centuries later, providing ample entertainment for those not as susceptible to morality.

HikaruKage

HikaruKage

Inane Devvy

If you can't die, you can't live.

People can't appreciate 'life' anymore. They end up pushing away those they love because they think that the ones they love will be there forever (even though they can't be).

If you live forever, and see everything there is to be seen, done everything there is to be done, suffered all there can be (sans death), nothing moves you any more. Not colours, nor waking up in bed after a good night's sleep.

It's like everyone having an infinite amount of money, buying whatever they want, not working.
In the end, no one will work, everyone will lack something they want, but no one is willing to produce it because everyone has an infinite amount of money.
You look at each other, starved, cold but greedy, and ask
"Now what?"

DeviantART
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. -Soren Kierkegaard
Perhaps it's harder to watch the burdened that to be burdened, that is why people always look away. -M.

Blessing. That way I would get to see where humanity will go from here. Just like how it sucks when a book/movie/game ends, and you're left wondering about what happens to the characters afterward.
The world may be a crappy place, but it's home, and it's definitely interesting. Besides, I bet the afterlife (if there is one) would be pretty boring. No excitement. Life's just more fun.
Sure it would be depressing to lose friends and loved ones, but even now people suffer those losses but manage to live on. You would find comfort in new friends, not to mention getting to see your descendants grow up.
And best of all, if you were immortal, then you would have the entire scientific community trying to figure out how, then applying it to saving the terminally ill.

@vatican92: Is it truly stupid to not want to die? I say it's the other way around. What good does dying do? You no longer feel pain, but you also no longer feel joy. And all those who care about you will feel the same pain that you would have felt watching them die.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."
http://my.gpxpl.us/BloodWolfX

It would be more likely a curse..

beyondmeasure

From the mind comes the query.

I fear the possibility of seeing the end of time - whether it be one of those hellish scenarios one of this world's religions prophesises for us guys, or the eventual collapse of the universe under one great crunch - more than death itself.

So, yeah, it'd be a curse for me.

XiThau

XiThau

Grammar Freak

Actually, when you think about it, when did anyone say living forever meant the body would be in a stable youth state? They didn't.
It'd be a curse, you can't do anything with a weak body, you'll just want to die. You'll be in pain everyday after like 120 years of living.

And if it were the power of youth, then you'd get taken in by the government for testing so they can use that power for people on earth. Think about it, they want everything. They'll take you and examine your insides and everything else to see what makes you live forever.

Signature
BiasedOtaku.blogspot.com (;

Well if you learn to live alone and by your self, and have an endless task (like learn secretes of the universe) it will be a blessing, but if you don't, then your life will become meaningless, and that's even for common mortals, many people don't have a goal on their lives and they just get bored of living. If you learn to see things to learn and seek for new things every time, well life is not enough!

page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next » 222 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.