Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why are people scared of ghost? - Minitokyo

Why are people scared of ghost?

page 2 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 114 total items

Well, i personally am afraid of ghosts... Because their appearance are so... evil and yuck! (in movies)
But in my case, i still believe that not every ghost is bad...
Just hope that one day i could get rid of my cowardice...

Humans always fear things they don't know... That's all...

coz tale stories make people afraid of it....

My sister and I used to see ghosts as kids. I still see one once in a while. And no, it's not a mental illness, because once I saw one along with a friend.

About your question, I think people are scared because of:

1.- They're dead, and the dead aren't supposed to come back to the world of the living. But it happens.

2.- They are supossed to "surprise" you: you're doing your everyday life and suddenly, they show. AND TO MAKE IT WORSE, usually by nigth.

3.- Althougth the "surprise factor", they're repetitive (like if they're trapped in a time loop) or attached on to a certain place, so they're expected to show more than once. And that would certainly make nervous to people living or working in that place.

NOW, IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE:

I'm a catequist, but I don't like to talk to the kids about the "other neighborhood" beyond what's in the book: angel, demonds and souls.

For what I've seen, heard and felt, I call "ghost" to a manifestation that is weak, blurry or shadowy and mostly repetitive. I've seen them as dark shadows when there's still some ligth and white ones when is dark. I think they're souls "in penance". We Catholics believe in Purgatory. I believe a soul was once a living thing.

I call "spirit" to something stronger manifestations, or that doesn't shows no trace of humanity or to have been a living thing once. I have seen then as parts of animals, as wings of birds (with no bird). I have seen strong shadows of almost human form. I have heard them laughing, or crying. They have waked me up by moving the strings of my hammock, or embracing and talking to my hear with a sweet voice until they make wake up completely (that's what I mean as a strong manifestation). Those usually come in the dry season, when the wind blows from the south, where the jungles and Mayan ruins are.

Even as I'm a "City boy", my family has deep roots in the country. Here in Mexico, Catholicism is mixed with ancient beliefs, is part of the folklore. In small towns, a Chaman is as respected as the Priest, and witches (not the European or Wiccan kind) are feared. The old gods of ancient are supposed, in the people's collective beliefs, to either become demonds or subordinate to God and angels, or being mixed with the saints.

Thing is that in my room I have things from my grandfather's and mother's ranch. And doing works on video and photography, my and i have been precisely in the jungle, the coast and the ruins. Maybe they feel attrackted to my family because of that.

But I'm not afraid of them since a long time ago. For the "souls" in penance, I pray a Hail Mary. For the "spitirits" I tell them to be in peace or go away with another pray. Anyway, it could be used just as a gosth story.

mick-klaassen

mick-klaassen

boredom is imminent to strike

@mireya2
isn't spirit a word meant for things stronger than ghosts?
@Arjunvijay
yes like the story about the monster under your bed
a lot of children are affraid of it.

i always wondered why they are affraid of ghosts :P

why?

FutatsuNoNegai

FutatsuNoNegai

Our Utmost For the Highest..

Well I think it's because we don't know what they are and how they exist and all those things,we're not afraid of the things we can see and touch and knows it's behaviour but as for ghost,we can't see them,we can't touch them and we can't study them...i think thats why we're afraid,we're all afraid of the unknown,like some people who are afraid of the dark,maybe it's because they can't see in the dark..

It doesn't hurt to have company by your side.

Quote by mick-klaassen@mireya2

In the Catholic Church Catechism a soul belonged to something that was alive in a material body, and is meant for Humans. A spirit is an intelligence that has never lived in a material body, and those are angels and demons.

That's what I teach to the kids at the chapel. My religion considers that, as far as teologist adventures, only we Humans have an eternal soul. Plants and animals are supposed to have souls that last as long as the're alive, and after that, none knows. The textbooks don't go deep on that matter, since only Humans are considered to have free will, deep self-conciense and are the only ones that can do evil.

But I have seen animal ghosts, with repetitive behavior.

And I don't know if there are other spirits that are neither angel nor demon, but I have seen and felt things that are, let's call it, "primitive" but strong (not repetitive, with some appatrent will, with no human shape). Maybe there are spirits more attached to material realm, but that's the most far I can say.

I never talk of my personal experiences neither with the kids. They have their own, you have to consider that we live in a mixed culture where the remants of ancient beliefs still stay until today.

Hmmm good question! that's maybe because is something (if it can be called 'something') they are not used to

demonangel26

demonangel26

Chaos Clown

Hmmm... i dunno why...

there usually my friends

(LOL WUT)

no seriously now, i think its because of mass media, i dont think it has anything to do with paranormal stuff or anything...

In my opinion, its better to take fear of the living rather than the dead... Its science i guess, its more likely that you get killed/eaten by something alive than something paranormal @.@

Its just the stuff you read, passed on stories and stuff like that .

Signature Image

Wait for it ^_^

yes i think so too

hey guys,
i

mick-klaassen

mick-klaassen

boredom is imminent to strike

Quote by mireya2

Quote by mick-klaassen@mireya2

In the Catholic Church Catechism a soul belonged to something that was alive in a material body, and is meant for Humans. A spirit is an intelligence that has never lived in a material body, and those are angels and demons.

That's what I teach to the kids at the chapel. My religion considers that, as far as teologist adventures, only we Humans have an eternal soul. Plants and animals are supposed to have souls that last as long as the're alive, and after that, none knows. The textbooks don't go deep on that matter, since only Humans are considered to have free will, deep self-conciense and are the only ones that can do evil.

But I have seen animal ghosts, with repetitive behavior.

And I don't know if there are other spirits that are neither angel nor demon, but I have seen and felt things that are, let's call it, "primitive" but strong (not repetitive, with some appatrent will, with no human shape). Maybe there are spirits more attached to material realm, but that's the most far I can say.

I never talk of my personal experiences neither with the kids. They have their own, you have to consider that we live in a mixed culture where the remants of ancient beliefs still stay until today.

thanks for the information

why?

I think people tend to be afraid of ghosts is they have no way to protect themselves from ghost if they exist. no one knows what to do about ghosts

KazamiHayato

KazamiHayato

全て勇気強さ持つの男

There is one thing I would say. Some people didn't have the courage to facing ghosts or just they were obviously fear of spirits were existed. Unlike me, never afraid of ghosts like that.

Signature Image

Because they are ugly and scare people....

gabrielkx

gabrielkx

The shadow

Horror films because we traumatize t.t

I think that people are scared of ghost is because they can't see them and they are scared of the things that they can't see.

because u might see it, but u can't do anything to protect yourself safely when face-to-face w' it :| ur life depends on his thought: "what do i prefer, killing or playing?" =)) my stupid opinion =))

kmt89cccp

kmt89cccp

I'm a Satan in f**cking world

People scared of ghost because they are an idiots

FrozenStrawberry

FrozenStrawberry

<3 Shou Toramaru

I fully understand that Ghosts do not exist, yet, I'm afraid of them. I don't even know what they might do to me, yet I'm scared.

Why ?

I say instinct.

It's not that I don't want wings, I want to flutter around like a Melissa leaf.

Signature Image

i think it depends on the mind of a person.
cant say exactly what, but something to do with how they think..?

zombilina

zombilina

Oh hai. I'm Zombi.

People fear the paranormal because they cannot understand it.
History will prove that people generally fear what they cannot grasp.

Breathe the impossible.

FrozenStrawberry

FrozenStrawberry

<3 Shou Toramaru

Quote by zombilinaPeople fear the paranormal because they cannot understand it.
History will prove that people generally fear what they cannot grasp.

Perfect answer, superstition exists today just because people are afraid of things that cannot be proved by science.

It's not that I don't want wings, I want to flutter around like a Melissa leaf.

Signature Image

1st There are no such things as ghosts.

Its all about timing and place. No one tells you they saw a ghost at midday in the middle of a park in bright sunlight. Its always in some dark place with minimal light where you cannot truly make out what you see. Basically its the mind playing tricks.

The reason for this is Human beings are naturally afraid of the dark. Why? because we have no natural means of defending ourselves, no claws, no sharp teeth, no poison, etc.

As for unexplained phenomenons, again we a fragile, and we fear what we cannot comprehend.

"You don't have to love thy neighbor, just leave the damn bastard alone!"

FinalFantasyFans

zombilina

zombilina

Oh hai. I'm Zombi.

You cannot definitively say there's no such thing.
That's not to say that I believe 'ghosts' are real, either.

But I've seen a few things I couldn't quite make sense of.

Breathe the impossible.

page 2 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 114 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.