Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Lookin' fer little-known Japanese singers/bands. - Minitokyo

Lookin' fer little-known Japanese singers/bands.

page 1 of 1 12 total items

beyondmeasure

From the mind comes the query.

Really am.

I've exhausted every little repository of music I have in mind when it comes to music - my various accounts are full of everything from Miles Davis to Ark, and I still want more.

Do ye have any Japanese singers or bands in mind that I - presumably - know nothin' about? If you do, do introduce them to me;maybe a link would do. Keep in mind that I hate visual kei, get turned off by most Jpop, and listen to Zeuhl (which looks, more and more, like a Nippon Music Ltd. production), YMO, and Ringo Shiina (who could be said as the only great female Japanese singer of the decade).

Much thanks to those who help.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

well i found this list that you can torment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_artists_from_Japan i don't know what you're really into cause i like jpop and jrock and some bands sing both so take a look at the list and maybe it might help others as well

BuBbLeS!

Signature

beyondmeasure

I said "little-known".

I've heard most of the bands mentioned in Wikipedia (I've done mine own mining, in Wikipedia, y'know), and could now dispose of 90% of the artists mentioned as horrid or minimally talented or uninspired and trite.

(I'm lookin' at you, visual kei).

Along the way I've bumped into some less-than-the-usual-shit-on-the-sidewalk: the trinity of Hikaru Utada, Ayumi Hamasaki, and Ringo Shiina (of which only Ms. Shiina made any pretensions towards pushin' any sort of envelope); Ali Project (though most of their oeuvre tends to be meandering and repetitive); Happy End (which should be venerated by West and East alike for their contributions in music - I find it depressing that their influence hasn't spread outside Japan), Yuki Isoya (the late, the lamented - not least because she's stuck performing in Japan: anywhere else and she'd be more than a force to be reckoned with); Zeuhl (though it must be said - there are Zeuhl bands outside Japan); and Yellow Magic Orchestra (need I say more?).

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

I'm not sure how "little known" you're trying to go... what are you looking for? Smooth vocals, thoughtful lyrics, etc?

Smooth vocals: Spitz, HY, Yoriko, or Kokia. (Though of the 4, probably HY might be as close to your style of music I can get?)
Thoughtful lyrics are a little harder. It's been awhile since I listened to a lot of Japanese music (mostly Korean now...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4deFSfPNso&feature=related
"366 Days" music only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlgX6OZ6PFI
"Street Story"

Signature Image

bromithia

Retired Moderator

bromithia

You might like AYA, who is mostly J-rock. She's kind of like Ringo before she softened up, except she's edgier, if that makes sense.. Here are some music videos:
Sentaku no Asa
Kinjirareta Uta
Miss Rock n' Roll

...and songs that I like:
Honey Bee
Baghdad Sky
We

Oh, and there's also MEG. She's pretty experimental despite the J-pop tag she's categorized in.
??????????
??
My favorite song by her (ignore the subtitles): TELEPHONE
SKIN

Alright, I'm done. >_>

Akone

Akone

i never knew what i was missing!

i love it all^^ ,i listern to the most is Hikaru Utada and Angel Aki

i guess it was all just make-believe never knew what I was missing,but I knew once we started kissin' ..I found......Love ? I love u Boo Bear ?
~Yoku Foxx~

beyondmeasure

Quote by fireflywishesI'm not sure how "little known" you're trying to go... what are you looking for? Smooth vocals, thoughtful lyrics, etc?

Smooth vocals: Spitz, HY, Yoriko, or Kokia. (Though of the 4, probably HY might be as close to your style of music I can get?)
Thoughtful lyrics are a little harder. It's been awhile since I listened to a lot of Japanese music (mostly Korean now...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4deFSfPNso&feature=related
"366 Days" music only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlgX6OZ6PFI
"Street Story"

How far will I go? Hell, as obscure as it gets - I want to keep track of artists whose output is outstanding (or greater), but aren't given enough attention even in their own country for a multitude of reasons.

But thanks for the tips.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

jpop.com might have some rising stars...I just remembered that site from long ago, it mentions the well known as well as rising stars or people to look out for, something like other sites do, they list more than pop but it seems pop is more popular than rock is to a degree

BuBbLeS!

Signature

You hate visual kei? Well crap. =P That rules out any of my ideas. lol See ya.

beyondmeasure

Quote by Neko-NekogamiYou hate visual kei? Well crap. =P That rules out any of my ideas. lol See ya.

Well, nearly all visual kei bands I've dug up so far are WAY hyped up (too much freakin' wax meltin'!). But hell, let's hear ye - just make sure I won't hate them just because they're prancin' Icarii.

Quote by beyondmeasure

Quote by Neko-NekogamiYou hate visual kei? Well crap. =P That rules out any of my ideas. lol See ya.

Well, nearly all visual kei bands I've dug up so far are WAY hyped up (too much freakin' wax meltin'!). But hell, let's hear ye - just make sure I won't hate them just because they're prancin' Icarii.

Hm... well, I'm not really sure if they would be little known, but I LOVE the band Penicillin. And there's also VAMPS. They're not really Visual Kei so you might like them. =P

Quote by beyondmeasureReally am.

I've exhausted every little repository of music I have in mind when it comes to music - my various accounts are full of everything from Miles Davis to Ark, and I still want more.

Do ye have any Japanese singers or bands in mind that I - presumably - know nothin' about? If you do, do introduce them to me;maybe a link would do. Keep in mind that I hate visual kei, get turned off by most Jpop, and listen to Zeuhl (which looks, more and more, like a Nippon Music Ltd. production), YMO, and Ringo Shiina (who could be said as the only great female Japanese singer of the decade).

Much thanks to those who help.

hmm...little known...that's a bit tough.
Jam Project? It's okay, I guess.
Who knew that Cherryblossom, Last Alliance and On/Off would be so well-known?
Sigh. Anyways, I like Cherryblossom the most, On/Off is okay too.
As for artists, why not listen to Jyongri? Her Lullaby for You is nice~
Hope this helps

"I'll bite you to death(Kamikurosu yo)"
Hibari Kyoya, Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Sadly, I don't have a Hibari image that suits this site ;_;

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.