saying "filler" is wrong and annoying

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Cancel

THE TERM FILLER IS WRONG AND ANNOYING !

Such chapters or seasons are called anime exclusive or original anime episodes. Is that so hard ?

The only reason some people use that word is because it has a demeaning sound to it.

They want to point out again and again that specific episodes are not as good.
It is more like giving an opinion (bitching about the the absolutely obvious) rather than giving a description like "anime exclusive" is.

Saying filler all the time is childish because: first of all, it is logically wrong since a story arc (even original) is a complete chapter of the story by definition with beginning, middle and ending and therefore it doesn't fill anything.

Secondly because a manga and an anime are different artistic mediums, the people who work for the manga are different from the people who work for the anime, there is a common backbone story but that's it. It is carved in some stubborn ungrateful heads but not in stone that the anime should follow 110% the flow of the manga.

Thirdly because it is like calling the other person stupid who apparently hasn't noticed that the episodes where Ichigo babysits the little princess are not as good as the episodes where he fights Grimmjaw.

And last but not least, all long running series have many boring episodes, it is part of the deal, get over it. You ain't saying something new bitching about it.

People who cry filler all the damn time, think they are the only ones in the universe blessed with the awesome knowledge that a chapter of the story in the anime doesn't appear in the manga (that they don't buy). And whether it's TV series or music albums or whatever people who say filler are the people who don't really care about it that much. -Dude, Leteralus from Tool had one good song but the rest was filler... -No, slow songs, boring ambient sounds meant to built anticipation, long intros; all part of the game

Don't mindlessly repeat stuff.

Everything in this world.
Exists to wear you down.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

Cancel

yea i use filler cause it's shorter to say/type...but bleach isn't the only anime that has fillers...gintama is nothing but fillers...and yes if it's childish to type/speak less then so be it :P

Undertaker:Kuroshitsuji: How sad it would be, should laughter disappear.

Signature

dollyneir

dollyneir

Tuna Stalker

Cancel

fillers is good sometimes.. that's what i think. I like fillers, well depends on the anime though. I hate when the greatest moment seized by fillers..

(btw, am i in wrong thread? if i am, sorry..)

Signature
Humans hide behind the curtain they knitted, and stay there for ages.
I'll never be one of them.

• Oct 27, 2009

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Cancel

I think it really depends on the person. Like angel said, not all people who use the term "filler" are using it in a demeaning way. My understanding is that the term "filler" came about because usually most anime are based off of a manga, yea? And anime episodes can cover more per episode than a manga chapter can. So obviously the anime would catch up quickly to the current manga chapter. Thus, anime has to use something to "fill the time" so that the mangaka can move the storyline further along. Thus, "filler" is born. (Because let's face it, most of the time the anime will go back and pick up where they left off before the "filler" episodes took place)

Additionally, not all filler episodes are bad. I'm actually quite a fan of the most recent filler arc for Bleach. (Which reminds me... haven't watched the latest episode yet... ^_^;;)

Signature Image

Cancel

I also first came to understand that the term "filler" just meant that the episodes were created to "fill the time" until enough material was written in the manga to resume another story arc. I don't think the term itself has a negtive meaning, but I imagine people may have gotten a negative impression of fillers from series like Naruto where you go almost 100 episodes before it returns to the manga story line and some of the material not only seems unrelated to the manga, but seems almost out of place in the anime itself.

I agree that not all fillers are bad. Ironically, I was going to use the same Bleach arc that firefly mentioned as an example of what I think is a decent filler. It presents new interesting material and from what information I've read about this arc the mangaka had a fair amount of input on thay arc (which from what I understand, this isn't always the case in a lot of animes) And even though I mentioned a negative aspect about it before, I thought some of the first few filler arcs in Naruto were decent cause they showed some secondary character development which IMO made the arcs feel like they had a purpose outside of just filling time. I'm probably starting to ramble now, so my point is that not all filler arcs are terrible but it is understandable that some people might feel negatively about fillers and attach a negative association with the word.

tag-licious anime-fans-united

Cancel

Filler is shorter and some words just are used because is easy to say... besides, some chapters (example, bleach) use those original anime episodes to catch up the Manga, so in a way they ARE fillers, they try to fill the empty space that would be left meanwhile the manga advances... nothing to say, some story arcs are even better than the manga story arcs..bleach again, right now have one of these! I think the word eventually have become anything that is off the main story arc.

• Nov 04, 2009
Cancel

and another thing, talking to people on-line is like talking to a brick wall, nobody wants to listen, everyone is just waiting for their turn to get things off their chest.

for instance, how the hell can a chapter of a story be filler if by definition is complete by itself, that is like trying to dispute logic. whereas saying filler is essentially saying that something bored you, about everything music series whatever and when it's used 99% of the time you know that person really doesn't give a rats ass about what they are talking, they just want to pretend they have an opinion about something else they downloaded

what i am trying to say why the hell is everyone behind a keyboard just trying to unload their discomforts and bitterness to the fellow poster because that is what it's all about

-i just watched 100 One Piece episodes over the weekend, eh it's good but lot's of filler
-you are fucking stupid, i don't think they designed the whole fucking thing with a 100 episode on a weekend extravaganza in mind, it's not One Piece at fault, it's you
im never gonna say that to a person on a forum, but face to face, sure as hell

Everything in this world.
Exists to wear you down.

Cancel

For me, "filler" is original anime episodes that sucks, like for example Naruto filler. I call the good original episodes "original episodes"

I don't mind people calling these "original episodes" filler because basically, it IS filler. After all, it's made mostly when the anime caught up too closely with the manga

• Nov 07, 2009

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.