Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why was "Rumors" deleted? - Minitokyo

Why was "Rumors" deleted?

Tagged under Serial Experiments Lain

page 1 of 1 4 total items

I had an unpleasant surprise waiting for me when I woke up, only to find that someone deleted my Serial Experiments Lain "Rumors" work.

- It was certainly not too simplistic. In fact, it was pretty complex.

- It didn't use screenshots or unmodified stock photos (source material, naturally, I took from the original DVD's, but was highly processed).

- It certainly wasn't low-effort.

- It wasn't an alternate version of an existing wallpaper.

- It featured at least two distictly visible images of Lain herself.

- It looked perhaps a bit psychedelic; but I say that's an entirely appropriate look and feel for a Serial Experiments Lain work.

I have to say I'm rather disappointed. I'm no Picasso or anything, but it contained a good artistic theme, was reasonably elaborate, extensively annotated, and I was overall pretty pleased with the result. Its rude deletion leaves me, well, groggy, to say the least.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

- poor image quality: the general wall is blurry and low quality
- that picture of Lain in the bubble thing at the bottom looks like a processed screenshot (you took from the DVDs, which means it's a screenshot....)
- the computer chip on the right looks like it's taken from a small image and stretched, which makes it blurry

Quote by MapleRose- poor image quality: the general wall is blurry and low quality
- that picture of Lain in the bubble thing at the bottom looks like a processed screenshot (you took from the DVDs, which means it's a screenshot....)
- the computer chip on the right looks like it's taken from a small image and stretched, which makes it blurry

Lain, the series, is only available low-res. There is no high-res material, save scans from artbooks. So any wallpaper that uses Lain source material will inevitably have to contend with poorer image quality. It seems odd to object to that, let alone fault someone for that.

"Processed screenshot" != "screenshot". I think no one, who's serious, can look at "Rumors" and just call it a screengrab. There are like 7-8 carefully selected scenes worked into the overall image. Just because you recognize a scene doesn't make it a screengrab! In fact, LOL, the whole point is for people to recognize the individual scenes, otherwise there would be no story to tell at all.

Just because you're a moderator doesn't mean I will change my work. I'm a story teller. My work is like a mini story board, that spells out the story of an entire theme. If you want to look at that, and delete it because you just see "low-res" source material, then this is of course your prerogative. Naturally I had hoped people would appreciate something that goes a little deeper than just a high-res pretty picture. That apparantly not being the case, I will just look for a site with a somewhat less narrow-minded view on "low quality." No hard feelings, really (though I'm still obviously disappointed). But we clearly don't see eye-to-eye on these matters. And it seems as unlikely you will change your moderation behavior, as it is unlikely I will compromize my artistic integrity.

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

I didn't say you can't use screenshots as your reference picture. Lots of people have use it. However, the way that you processed it still resulted in a low-quality image. just filtering a blurry image doesn't make it any better. There are ways you can make smaller images bigger and better, it's called vectoring, or tracing with the pen tool. There are many tutorials on how to do it (like this one if you use Photoshop ), or you can redraw the image or somehow to make it cleaner.

I didn't say anything about your concept or your story, I'm just saying the way you've processed the images themselves are low quality. If you'd like some help on how to improve it, you can always post in the Sandbox

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to Deletion Appeals | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.