Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Irresponsible Submission Trend - Minitokyo

Irresponsible Submission Trend

page 1 of 1 12 total items

LZC

LZC

Mass of Contradictions

I'm somewhat surprised to see that no one has commented on the current MT submission trend (unless, I actually missed it somewhere?), so I'll start with some Keep.It.Simple.Stupid-type of questions:

Been seeing lots of submissions recently that

-have been posted in the wrong category? (e.g. an official Bleach scan posted into Unidentified)
-mispelled tags?
-posted as the wrong type? Vectors and wallpapers submitted as scans?
-is so naggingly familiar that you'd swear you'd seen it already submitted long long ago? (I am however very glad to see better quality duplicates, but not so when it's identical or lower quality. Cleaned-up scans are also one of the gifts I am especially thankful for; kudos to those who spend the effort to make them flawless!)
-suspiciously seem like they were ripped off from someone else, plus no such credit note was mentioned in the description?
-is so obviously the kind of submission that will be deleted within seconds once a moderator spots it (R-18, R-21, whatever the local standard)?

etc, misc, yada yadda...
---

If you do feel that something is awkwardly out of place, like me, you might have also noticed that the amount of submissions in the recent months has hit an interstellar high.

If you've felt hesitant about bringing this issue up, then most probably you're also like me, one of those fervent idiots that have been *hoping* for exactly these kind of problematic submissions, so that you can report them and gain credits. Plus feel like you've done the right thing along the way.

Well, it's obviously not right enough, since these kind of submissions are still merrily coming in in droves every week.
---

There's roughly a thousand or so more new submissions, every few days I browse through the galleries. With an absurd lot of them simply set up to be deleted. I'm happy that I'm gaining credits through reporting, but each report I do make means that much more work for the moderators, who besides checking and deleting, still have to affirm our reports are valid, have to award the reporters their credits, plus delete the necessary submissions.

Have the submission rules become that slack? It used to be the basic duty on part of the submitting user to filter through the relevant gallery to check for identical submissions, before they actually posted it. Now, quite often, they just get dumped under Unidentified, and wait for someone else to report and do their work for them.
---

There are exceptions here and there, such as when several hardworking scanners make scans from the latest magazines, and submit them within minutes of each other, as may be the case (usually pretty obviously not duplicates since the resolution and colour-tone, etc, will differ). But it seems an undeniable fact that more than many have forgotten the basic courtesies of checking if their submissions are actually redundant, and placing an unnecessary burden on MT resources.
---

If you do feel like something has gone askew with MT recently, even though the layout upgrade is very very right indeed, please speak out about it! I'm somewhat embarrassed that I seem to be trying to start a courtesy campaign, but it's terrible that MT does seem to be in need of it now.

I don't really have much in the way of constructive suggestions to make now, although I do recall that there was the Sandbox (plus Zerochan now, for questionable submissions). It may be that it's simply too easy to complete a submission nowadays. Since there can be funky new categories like "katekh" every few minutes, even though it's not that difficult to put them into "Katekyo Hitman Reborn!" properly for the user.
---
~Alright, I surrender, it's just too stressful for my eyeballs to have to scan through thousands of images every visit!~ XP
---

Well, anyone saying "Aye!" next?

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

yea I've taken notice of this for quite some time...it's worse in scans...I just never brought it up because well...not going to get into that one, but by all means it'd be a livid nightmare to fix the older ones but the new ones could be fixed...who knows the reason for it...could be nothing more than being over looked to people being busy and the likes

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

Indeed, but we're trying our best to keep this site working and in order.
My two cents: the report button is your best friend regarding ripped walls,double scans, mature content, etc.
When you find mispelled tags, tags that don't belong to that gallery item, check the Tag Administration Thread and post them there.

If we want to keep MT running smoothly, we all have to cooperate.

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

LZC

LZC

Mass of Contradictions

Any comments from the moderator side? They *are* doing all the work for us, after all.

But I do still feel that this needs rectifying here and now, before it escalates further.
---
Before this, the previous problem I spotted was a lot of sms-style comments like "Nice scan!" spammed across *pages* of the most recent submissions...

ArtificialRaindrop

ArtificialRaindrop

We're All Mad Here.

I'm still having the problem of people spamming comments on my wallpapers just to gain credits, even on my older wallpapers. I'm getting really, REALLY tired of seeing "Awesome job!" and "Thanks for sharing!" ............ I know it's sometimes hard to think of what to say, but when I see the same basic comment from the same person across 3 or more of my wallpapers, I'm not a happy camper.

Signature ImageYou can't live without the fire, it's the heat that makes you strong ~ Within Temptation, "Iron"
KHDownloads <-- Butterfly Chaser referred!

bromithia

Retired Moderator

bromithia

It is a lot of work, but the only way to get around this problem is to have a submission queue, like over at AP, where the moderators have to "approve" of wallpapers and scans before they show up in the gallery. We could do this, but it would be a lot more time consuming as well, and I'm not sure the staff is ready for such a commitment.

kayurachan

Retired Moderator

kayurachan

Mado&Fen are my Gods.

Agreed with Brom. That might be a solution...
Being the only scan mod is not simple but I try to do my best, nonetheless I need help from all MT members. The report button is helpful and it really helps me when I see a lot of reports. Really. So please do it, more and more.
90% of the warnings (and restrictions, sigh) I give are for posting double scans. Mostly because members don't want to follow rules/don't like to read our rules/don't care about rules. Or because they're just lazy. But this is not a problem of today's MT, it's always been like that.
Maybe we should 'force' members to only see FAQ and Policy pages as they subscribe. But that would just be borderline... We're a big community of anime fan, just trying to have fun, after all.
So I just think we should *all* cooperate and try to keep MT 'clean' from bad habits. Again, with our dear report button, for example :)

Signature
!Death to J-Rock scans! >.<
What is Kayurachan doing? Just see it on my userpage :3
Sheq says: XD one sec, eating an egg XP

Honestly, yes, it's a problem. BUT the solution would probably mean even more work on the part of the mods. Therefore, I'm perfectly fine with reporting duplicates, correctly tagging submissions, etc, so that the mods don't have to go searching/checking for all that needs fixing. The fact that I get credits for helping out just means more downloads for me! And that's something I'm sure any user here can appreciate. So while the latest lazy trends of uploaders may be discouraging, my credit count is doing quite well because of it.

kayurachan

Retired Moderator

kayurachan

Mado&Fen are my Gods.

Oh pizzahutrebel, I just wish we could have more members like you... :3

Signature
!Death to J-Rock scans! >.<
What is Kayurachan doing? Just see it on my userpage :3
Sheq says: XD one sec, eating an egg XP

LZC

LZC

Mass of Contradictions

To be honest, I'm along with pizzahutrebel on the gaining of credits through doing the right thing. And I think lots of other users are very happy with that as well. :)

Still, may be some modifications to the current submission system could help a little. Like, the category has to be either:

-[already existing] (a drop-down list, or an intuitive auto-complete box, for e.g.),
-[unidentified] (in serious need of classification), or
-[new] (with the name of the category manually typed-in).

<The "approval/review pending" system will apply only to the [new] category submissions. I hope this will reduce those trying to create new categories like "Itchigo Bleach" all over the place. Ideally (well...), it'll require less effort for the moderator to rectify, than what is currently ongoing, since it's like a self-report. Those under [unidentified] are obviously in need of help, too.>

<A friendly reminder on the submission page to "Check the relevant gallery for duplicate submissions" might be helpful as well. Although for hulking galleries (e.g. Bleach, Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, etc), it's probably a foregone assumption that no one is capable of actually checking through it all. For those who do better with visual cues, a cute 48x48 pixel mascot might help draw their attention to the reminder message. ~insert gemini pair of hatsune miku gifs of your choice, and put a cross-mark over one~>

<Not too sure if this will be useful at all, but if the user already knows the new submission is like a better version of an existing one, e.g. better resolution, or a cleaned-up version, then there could be an optional box referring to the older submission, so that the moderators don't have to search for the gallery item to delete.>

---

Just some suggestions that may not turn out to be useful in the end, but the ideas may be worked upon by others, possibly.

Any ideas from anyone else? Or, just commenting your thoughts on this topic would be fine as well!

EDIT: Some minor corrections.

merged: 11-26-2009 ~ 04:37am
Off-the-topic for a bit: I've just recalled a glitch of sorts. Currently, by default, MT gallery items have their naming style as "Minitokyo_Gallery_Type_IDnumber". When the name of the gallery happens to include non-conventional characters, e.g:

-"Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu!" has some problematic punctuation, and,
-there were even some new galleries submitted using kanji characters. Two of them I recall already had existing galleries using english characters, too. Plus some of the newly submitted scans were duplicates as well.

Trying to download such gallery items usually results in failure, at least when I use the typical IE browser. I'd like to ask if there'san existing workaround for this, may be by using different browsers? Or installing certain language packs?

If there isn't a workaround yet, would it be possible that for such cases, all such invalid characters in the filename be replaced with an underscore?

Naruth

Naruth

Badassical

Good on ya. I used to be a noob, submitted a few enlarged scans, had some incorrect tags, but I learned fast thx to the moderators. I'm still not the best member by any means. Still, even I too have noticed this unseemly trend. I'm a bit of a packrat so I'm always looking for new stuff to add to my collection, but lately I can't keep track as to what's new, better, etc.

And this "Unidentified" thing...REALLY! I realize that some people are *new* to anime and manga, but too many are just showing absolutely no effort. iqdb.org has been helpful to me in some cases (possible nsfw).

Good luck on coming up with a workable solution. I'm a programmer so I'm familiar with the problem of balancing usability for the ignorant and filtering the malicious. As for the problems with punctuation, that can be fixed by attaching regular expression validation to the textfields in the submission application. Something like ([A-Za-z][0-9](' | , | !))+. I totally forget my regex syntax, but if it was right it would only allow alphanumeric characters plus a few allowable punctuation marks.

As for replacing invalid characters with underscores, I used to know an A* algorithm that could do auto-corrections like with Google searches based on a particular dictionary. In this case, anime and manga would make up the dictionary. Never implemented though. Anyway, I'm just blabbering cuz I've been programming for the past several hours (working overtime on thanksgiving, lame!).

LZC

LZC

Mass of Contradictions

Well, it does seem like it doesn't bother enough people yet, although, to be honest, my eyes are sooo tired that I'm actually staying away from MT lately (lest I try another 3-hour session scanning through everything new since the last visit). Maybe, if I ignore the "Scans" gallery...?

Oh well. Hmmm, maybe this thread was started in the wrong forum for discussion? In any case, since there wasn't any momentum for corrective action, I guess I won't bring this up again.

*salutes all MT contributors*

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.