Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Digital or traditional drawing and painting - Minitokyo

Digital or traditional drawing and painting

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 50 total items

Haven't seen a topic of this subject before in here, so I thought to make one. I have heard lots of discussions and opinions about different methods to make art. Would be nice to have discussion about the topic and hear the opinions of users on Mintokyo. What do you think is the best method to make art ? Which one you prefer better digital or tradition and why ?

I think there really isn't best and worst more than the wrong or more rightful/valuable method of doing art. Every method is as equal with each other in my opinion. Of course the way artpieces turn out depends really much of the skills and somehow age of the person, and from the simple fact that what kind of art affects to your taste. Since of course drawing learning 5 years old child working with colour pencils can't be as "good" or "impressive" as skilled 20 years old working with digital programs and tablet. You have to think them to equal level, just like the age, skills and the time people have been working on drawing. I think people tend to forget that sometimes.

I myself though prefer working with traditional methods to draw and paint, mostly because I'm most familiar with it and done it since childhood. I think somehow traditional methods are more deep than digital, I'm not sure can I explain it constructively without judging it too harshly and getting the idea that I wouldn't appreciate it or something like that, but I try.
When drawing traditional I think you have to have the image of what you are doing more completed and clear in your head to get it done than when doing digital. What I mean is that for example you can play around and try different things many times before deciding what element was the best for the piece you are working with or when you get mistake when doing digital, you can easily erase it and try again. But when doing traditional in one way you don't have the option to try different colours since if you use the colour it's there even if you don't like it afterwards. Same goes for mistakes, it's there and stays there. Of course you can try to hide it but you know it's there and it's not the way you first thought to art piece to be.
One reason I think traditional methods are more challenging since you really need to know and be sure of what you are doing to succeed and that's one of the reasons also why I seem to give them more credit than digitally done pieces. And nowadays people seem to prefer digitals being the "better and more quality" ones than traditional ones, which I think is sad since forgetting how much effort and time you have to give for traditional methods.

But not to give the impression that I don't like digital ones at all ! I think with digital you kinda have more space and options to do things, for example those things mentioned before. Doing digital seems also to be bit faster method to get art pieces done, but then again it also depends on the time people spent time while working. I think you can also make more easier impressive effects with digital which are harder to do by traditional ways. One reason though again why I think digital is kinda cheating since you don't have to work so hard to get the impressive and "better" look faster. But it's not fair to complain like that ,since traditional workers can make impressive stuff too as easily when having enough skills and will ! But then again in this matter should remember the differences about the digital and traditional methods.
I think digital gives nice option to work with your art and try to see it different way more easily. And since it's some ways easier to work with, it forgives the things you can't do so well with traditional ways. Plus since it's easier, it's not maybe so annoying and frustrating to learn. Since when you make mistake doing traditional, you always have to start from the beginning most of the times. So failing doesn't eat your motivation so hardly and encourages to try more and more. One of the reasons I want to learn digital is to first try colour compinations etc before doing it actually on traditional, to minimaze the possible wrong colour choices etc. And learning different methods is fun, opens eyes to new things :)

Anyway, I think you can get awfully beautiful fights about this subject ! ^^ Others say that people don't value the traditional works and effort put in them anymore. Others say digitally done works are cheating and those people don't even know how to use pen and paper. Or something like that the old most valuable paintings/art from centuries ago haven't even seen digital so why it supposed to be better method.

Well then, shoot the thoughts of yours and lets make constructive fight and learn together to give in and accept others opinions !

PS: Don't take things too seriously, I'm not saying other one is better than the other ! And sorry to make it so awfully long message !

Signature

That's really long long message! XDD
whatever Digital or traditional, good looking will be a good painting

Myself as an artist....I prefer a mix of both. Just because the kind of work I do calls for a digital medium.

OriginsExodus

OriginsExodus

D.E.S.P.A.I.R.

i don't understand the digital stuff....

only knew the traditional...

I like both .

i like all i paint and draw in the two forms

demonangel26

demonangel26

Chaos Clown

Hmmm... im no good in both, but its easier for me to draw digitally for i dont have a scanner to send my traditional work online he he

Signature Image

Wait for it ^_^

i like both

Man is still less himself as speaking in person. Give him a mask and tell the truth.
Oscar Wilde

I prefer Digital, easier to correct mistakes and use layering too.

I prefer Digital too...but Traditional way is more aggresive than digital. I think...But i prefer digital. just like Mika-dorable said.

i really like both, but traditional has more of a warmness and is more special

yeah me too...i prefer both!

I prefer traditional..need more skills to do it and the results are better

Nikki0417

Nikki0417

never finishes anythingGod

Both.

To me, neither one is easier, better, or more respectable than the other. Each medium has its pros and cons. What comes naturally to me traditionally is might be harder to do digitally and vice versa. I think people EXPECT digital to somehow be easier and take less skill, but in reality, you'll need to same amount of knowledge and practice to make a decent painting/drawing. If you suck at drawing hands in pencil, you're not going to be amazing at them because you start using Photoshop instead. You need to know anatomy, color theory, composition balance, and at that jazz to make a good piece of art. Those things don't suddenly improve depending on the medium.

Basically, I love both and I never want to choose between the two.

made us brothers, Prozac made us friends.

both of course :D teeheehee

Both are good but I definitely prefer digital art. I don't think digital art is "easier." It still takes a lot of effort to make truly amazing pieces in any medium, and while *most* digital programs come with an undo and some transforming and other editing tools that make it super easy to fix mistakes, it's really more a different way of working than an "easier" method.

What I love most about digital media is the near endless potential it has. Like you said, it really gives you the freedom to just play around with any idea you have in a way that real paints don't give you. Of course, as a digital artist, I am very biased. ;)

That said, I really admire artists working traditionally, that they can create with more limited tools. I've been attempting to learn traditional methods recently, mostly pencil but also a bit of acrylic, and it's quite an exercise in control! I also really love how tactile paper feels in your hand and to actually touch and shape your drawing directly with your hands instead of watching it appear on screen as you click madly away...

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

Thank you all for your answers, nice to see such a big amount of different thought about the subject !

I agree with Nikki0417 about people often expecting digital being faster. Myself I can't take part on that thought, since I have been just starting to learn using digital and I'm terribly slow at it. But from the point what I have heard from few friends of mine who are 100% on the side of digital methods, often tell me how digital methods are faster and easier to get much more clean and better quality works than from doing traditional. They usually also under review traditional methods generally.

And now that I have been trying to work with digital methods, I also have to agree with DarthTofu about digital not actually being that easy as might think. Though again there can be lots of opinions it being easy or not, since somebody finds digital more natural way to work with. But for me learning mainly just colouring digitally, is already challenge itself ~ though I have to say working on traditional so long, finding colours and stuff is pretty easy. But then again I still have lots to learn to find right technique suitable for my style with blendings and shadings. Even though I think I can say, I'm handling the basics quite strongly already after few try.

Anyways, it's really admirable people want to try different methods on art. I surely want to learn more of digital to open my eyes and challenge my attitudes against digital methods way more !

Signature

i also like both.. both have similarities and differences.. strengths and weaknesses.. i think it's just a matter of playing the colors to make it more appreciative.
i like it when it's drawn as a traditional art and afterwards it's digitally colored. ^^,

I can only do traditional type.. too broke for anything digital..
But I like both art styles or type..

since i am not with digital i usually use the traditional one...
but sometimes i use digital too~

a good mix of both, but i really like it if someone shows the stages of they're drawing

i like both

Akaneko21

Akaneko21

Shakugan

I like bouth.
But when you say traditional souds a kind of funny because traditional is oil paiting. XD. But I got the Idea.
I would love to learn how to make vector art *-* but I am pretty bad using it...

loutemi2

loutemi2

TAMAYA !! \(^o^)/

I prefer traditional, but can not explain why

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 50 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.