Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Digital or traditional drawing and painting - Minitokyo

Digital or traditional drawing and painting

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 50 total items

Akaneko21

Akaneko21

Shakugan

Quote by loutemi2I prefer traditional, but can not explain why

Do you draw?

Weel, I think traditional is more expressive, it is more human...like on the computer you can make a perfect stright line but it is quiet imposible to make freehand.

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

While I am personally terrible at art, I have a sister in art school and have seen alot of both styles from her. I love them both, but I think its really cool when the two are combined to enhance the image.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

I think traditional painting is better because its original I MEAN COME ON WHEN YOU USE DIGITAL PAINTING IT KIND OF FEELS LIKE THE COMPUTER IS DOING ALL THE WORK ,AT LEAST THAT'S HOW I feel , traditional painting is real ,getting your hands dirty ,your clothes covered with paint ,dipping the paint brushes in water ,and the feeling of touching your painting with your bare hands when its dry is what painting is all about .

I am extremely terrible at drawing or painting, but I appreciate both. I never tried doing digital art and I fear that I will be as bad as I am at traditional art.

J-Rock!!!

Akaneko21

Akaneko21

Shakugan

Quote by jasaraI think traditional painting is better because its original I MEAN COME ON WHEN YOU USE DIGITAL PAINTING IT KIND OF FEELS LIKE THE COMPUTER IS DOING ALL THE WORK ,AT LEAST THAT'S HOW I feel , traditional painting is real ,getting your hands dirty ,your clothes covered with paint ,dipping the paint brushes in water ,and the feeling of touching your painting with your bare hands when its dry is what painting is all about .

Beattiful answer!
I could imagine someone painting with all his/her heart *-*!

Quote by jasaraI think traditional painting is better because its original I MEAN COME ON WHEN YOU USE DIGITAL PAINTING IT KIND OF FEELS LIKE THE COMPUTER IS DOING ALL THE WORK ,AT LEAST THAT'S HOW I feel , traditional painting is real ,getting your hands dirty ,your clothes covered with paint ,dipping the paint brushes in water ,and the feeling of touching your painting with your bare hands when its dry is what painting is all about .

Have to agree with this, one of the reason I like traditional is that you can actually feel and touch your work. Digital art is just on your computer and you don't get the same feel to it. I'm not so good at explaining this but hopefully you get what I try to mean ~ Digital work is just there somewhere beyond you actually to be able to touch it in real. Of course you can always print it out, but it's not really the same. On Traditional work you can sense the different textures and how the paper feels from the parts been worked with. For example I personally love the slightly rough trace left from the drawing nib while working with bottled ink.

Though I'm still really fascinated of learning digital art, since it's giving me great challenge to practise my skills in totally new environment. Few days ago actually succeeded to do lineart without sketch on the bottom, just looking model from the old video cover in my hand. I'm pretty happy of it, next want to try draw lineart without looking at any models.

Signature

traditional...because it is old way...but with digital pic are most beautiful...

I'm not good at drawing in either format, but free hand pen is still easier than digital.

i really like both. you cant really compare em.

traditional arts got their own soul tho. at least thats how i feel. if you get a picture as a present a friend did and you can just hang it on the wall it just feels great and alive.

i really do like digital as well tho after you got so many different ways to make it or change it if you are not happy with how it is at that moment. like try different colours and stuff. so thats really helpfull and after you can just redo each line you draw its easy to realise what you want to draw.

i often made pictures totally different cause i just could not do it how i wanted it to be the traditional way and sometimes i was kinda sad about it. im not that great in both ways but its really cool to just use both =)

some effects i cans only acomplish in tradicional media... ando some only digtal, i think thta the two complete themself.
^^

I prefer traditional one rather than digital but some depends on the artwork.

Quote by Akaneko21

Beattiful answer!
I could imagine someone painting with all his/her heart *-*!

well, I usually do traditional work and color it in digital way since I can't afford to buy good color pencils.
I don't think that digital painting feels like the computer is doing all the work. I have to choose the color, learn how to use the program, learn to move my hand to draw using that damned mouse--sits in front of computer for more than 5 hours. My eyes feel burned; my hands feel tired. I do digital painting with my heart, and I'm sure it's not only me.

Sereveia

the weird cat

I'm an artist, and I do both. Traditional and Digital :)
For me, there's only a slight different in digital and traditional drawing method.. You use the real paper, the real pencil, water colour, colour pencils, drawing pen and such in traditional media. You can also choose the kind of paper you want to use. Whether it's sketchpad, canvas, watercolour paper, cassava paper (I don't know what they call it, but you use this kind of paper for chinese painting), or anything, depend on your budget (it's true.. some of them are REALLY expensive), and what you want to achieve. You cannot zoom them in and see the slightest mistake, you cannot undo, you cannot erase them without leaving traces, but hey, that's the challenge, right?

Beside, doing it traditionally means your eyes are less tired and you don't have to sit in front of computer for hours. HOURS.

But digital painting is fun too ^^ Less paper to save earth! *slapped* and IT IS NOT easier than traditional. I mean, if you think that digital means the computer do everything for you, it's... wrong ^_^;

I think.. sometimes digital arts are harder than traditional. You have to learn how to use the software, choose what kind and what software you want to use. Like me, I use Corel Painter instead of Photoshop, but many professional use photoshop, and some other use Paint Tool SAI. Each are unique on their own, and choosing what software fits you best isn't an easy task to do =___= plus you have to master that mouse and that.. drawing tablet. It isn't as easy as it seems you might need months, or maybe a year to use that thing.

Beside, doing digital arts are tiresome, your hands tired, your eyes tired, head spinning and full, as if things have been stuffed into it. And if you failed to save them..

So.. digital art isn't as easy as you see, and their methods are basically the same. you choose colour, blend them... and sometimes you couldn't erase them without damaging the whole picture. Undoing doesn't really help sometimes. trust me :)

So I think that both method are fun, both method are great, and both could make you proud of yourself..

Quote by Sereveia
I think.. sometimes digital arts are harder than traditional. You have to learn how to use the software, choose what kind and what software you want to use. Like me, I use Corel Painter instead of Photoshop, but many professional use photoshop, and some other use Paint Tool SAI. Each are unique on their own, and choosing what software fits you best isn't an easy task to do =___= plus you have to master that mouse and that.. drawing tablet. It isn't as easy as it seems you might need months, or maybe a year to use that thing.

Beside, doing digital arts are tiresome, your hands tired, your eyes tired, head spinning and full, as if things have been stuffed into it. And if you failed to save them..

I think despite which method you use, both has their own unique difficulties which makes them hard to do in some matters. I think you brought the points up which things makes doing digital arts hard. But missed the points from traditional methods which could be compared. Personally I think they are quite equal in the end, so can't really say which one is harder for sure.

It's true that you have to learn how to use the software and find the one fitting the best for you. But then again it's the same when doing traditional, you have to find the paper and pencils and paints which suit best for you as well. Even though there are lots of different colouring pencils and paints and markers etc, they have their own unique differences too like softwares have different options and possibilities to make different effects. In the way they are all similiar and work basicly the same way, but there are these little details which makes them different from each other. Like for example water colours and oil paint, they are both paint and basicly working method is same, but you have to learn the right technic to work with them to get the unique look of their own. Same goes for colour pencils, there are pencils you can mix with water to get water colour touch or smudge them to get pastel like effect or just regular colour pencils ~ oh and not forgetting the softness differences. And then you have to find the right base to work with the tools you have chosen, for example wrong paper can ruin your water colour work just perfectly. What I'm trying to say is, that you have to learn to use paints or pencils whatever you use + base, the same way you have to learn using mouse or tablet with the softwares.

And about your hands and eyes geting tired doing digital arts ~ doing traditional can be as tiresome, though of course it depends on both how big scale art you are working on with and how much details or other things you have included to your art. And I also think it depends from the person too, some get their hands and eyes tired more easily than others. But basicly again, I get no winner in this part either. And about erasing ruining your work or having to start whole thing from the beginning, it can happen pretty much on both, though I think bigger mistakes are little more harder to fix traditional work than digital ~ but again, I think it's depends on your own tastes and experiences of which feels harder.

Lastly, totally agreeing with you about both being fun and interesting to learn ~ both making their worker proud !

Signature

I kinda think that digital is easier to correct o.O? But I haven't tried it yet so it's just a guess x) I really love to work traditional ^^

YES , ME TOO

i wish i was like that

Sereveia

the weird cat

Quote by Zefie It's true that you have to learn how to use the software and find the one fitting the best for you. But then again it's the same when doing traditional, you have to find the paper and pencils and paints which suit best for you as well. Even though there are lots of different colouring pencils and paints and markers etc, they have their own unique differences too like softwares have different options and possibilities to make different effects. In the way they are all similiar and work basicly the same way, but there are these little details which makes them different from each other. Like for example water colours and oil paint, they are both paint and basicly working method is same, but you have to learn the right technic to work with them to get the unique look of their own. Same goes for colour pencils, there are pencils you can mix with water to get water colour touch or smudge them to get pastel like effect or just regular colour pencils ~ oh and not forgetting the softness differences. And then you have to find the right base to work with the tools you have chosen, for example wrong paper can ruin your water colour work just perfectly. What I'm trying to say is, that you have to learn to use paints or pencils whatever you use + base, the same way you have to learn using mouse or tablet with the softwares.

And about your hands and eyes geting tired doing digital arts ~ doing traditional can be as tiresome, though of course it depends on both how big scale art you are working on with and how much details or other things you have included to your art. And I also think it depends from the person too, some get their hands and eyes tired more easily than others. But basicly again, I get no winner in this part either. And about erasing ruining your work or having to start whole thing from the beginning, it can happen pretty much on both, though I think bigger mistakes are little more harder to fix traditional work than digital ~ but again, I think it's depends on your own tastes and experiences of which feels harder.

Totally agree with you there :D Thanks for adding up and correct mistakes XD

Based on my experience though, in digital arts, having scrapped your work and have to do it all from the beginning are mostly because you're reckless, or you paint in one layer. Because I think one of the purpose of digital painting is to avoid that kind of mistakes, yes? :D

But there's nothing faster than sketching manually with pencils and papers XD oh, how I love my pencil.

@shininglight em... not really ^_^;;

Traditional all the time, I cant have the colors that I want with a program n_n

merged: 06-28-2010 ~ 11:42pm
Well, I don

good talk. digital painting is delicate and the color could be very smooth, while hand painting is more free and inspirational

Carbon-B-Ace

Carbon-B-Ace

The 8th Chaos Feather

i like both .... traditional is is a little easier coz of the flow of hand and paper....... but digital is easier when it comes to erasing mistakes

I really like traditional drawing, painting... and nowadays digital artworking techniques are also so amazing like those on minitokyo ^ ^

It's good that both sides have a huge variety, maybe there will be a new visualisation technique in the future after digital?! O.O like using magical powers or similar ^ ^

The both are good... But I like the concept of the art traditional, especially the impresionism

i prefer traditional...it looks more natural

digital painting requires more practice, so not anyone does it well...

it look weird sometimes...with very few shading tones,

when you're doing traditional painting you can't help getting involved with your art,

so you do it with your heart...

i don't know why...but traditional is always better looking,

although, nowadays they've been using both techniques in the images,

so the final results becomes really beautiful

so...if i had to choose, traditional, but having the option, we could use both

lol

that's what i think lol

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 50 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.