Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 how long will a comp last? - Minitokyo

how long will a comp last?

page 1 of 1 14 total items

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

how long will a comp last if its not shutdown?
my comp I believe havent been shutdown for 6 weeks already. the only thing I did is restart.
it has been 6 weeks but I'm just kinda worried. I did install an extra fan but I'm still kinda worried what would happen if a comp isn't switched off for a long time.

white-zero

white-zero

Left this part of the universe.

Not sure. My freind had his processor fried after 3 days straight

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

dang.. that aint nice.. well this comp is pretty high-end when it was bought 2 yrs ago. a Gigabyte motherboard with a dam big fan on top of the processor. ^.^"

It all depends on the power of your power supply, the kind of motherboard/processor u have. It can get really hot in a computer case without proper cooling/fan system. Depending on the brand of your part, they might not last long and if your power supply isnt strong enough, it'll burn. I left a desktop-computer at work open for a week and the power supply burnt out. The server has been up and running for more than 1 year i'd say. and its still running perfectly, sure we really work on it by ourselves, but the computer is still running all the server queries and application and it's not showing any sign of shutting down or burning. So it all depends on the kind of part that you have.

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

well like I said this comp is pretty high-end when it was bought. it was originallt bought for my bro to work on his AutoCad stuff.
now I just hope it lasts a few more days until this weekend for me to switch off for a while ^.^"

I've managed to have a computer go the greater part of a year without a reboot, but I typically restart my home PC maybe once a week but I never actually power it off. It really depends on what you use it for. A processor isn't typically under a lot of strain (and by extension generating more heat) unless it's having to do a lot of calculations/operations. If the PC isn't actively being used constantly and nothing is running in the background that eats up cycles it should be fine indefinitely.

Due to Minitokyo's policies, I will no longer be submitting any wallpapers or scans to this site.

Myke

Myke

Upstract

I'm just interested but is there any reason for not shutting it off right now?
I can't believe that your computer is in use ALL the time...

My Profressional Opinion (working with computers for 14+ years now)

exentric - When talking about hardware - Years my firend. Years. Technology wise, an $800-$1200 machine bought today will last 3-5 years. Will it still run? Sure, it should. But you might want something better. Like Onime-no-kyo was saying, ventalation and proper cooling is uber important. Without it you CPU will fry in minutes or even seconds! The HD and cd/dvd drives are the next worry. HDs should last at least 3 years, but new HDs are lasting much much longer than that. cd/dvd can last anywhere from 1-3 years before breaking down (and they are the least used. think about it) So if you use you machine every day, leave it on. If you use it every couple of days, turn it off. You can always turn off the monitor. But you really have nothing to worry about.

Software is another issue though. Linux users usually have no problems. But even the best windows users end up reformatting their machine every 1-2 years.

Hope that helps. ;)

Myke - No. Not anymore. There have been studies done dealing with HDs. It really doesn't matter anymore.

"May the aquisition of wealth no longer be your driving force." - freshblueO2

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." - Mother Teresa

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

myke - well I do all sort of things on my comp. BT download, RO botting. If I switch it off every day, those stuff would be meaningless. and yah, I do use my comp every day, and practcally every each time when I'm not asleep, bathing, schooling, etc.

thx freshBlueO2~
I think my comp had enough cooling. it was bros comp and he was kinda nuts with his comp. intsall alotta uber stuff he said. ^.^ thx dude~ ^.^

Myke

Myke

Upstract

Okay, I understand. I was already worried when leaving my comp on over night ^^;
However, my cooling system is a little bit noisy so I wouldn't like to leave it on when I'm going to bed...

Kanvas

Kanvas

Treasures-of-Life Collector

A PC may last quite long, if you can stand it (I can't)
I upgrade my every half year. i think it's reasonable since technology is changing too quickly.

-Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

-If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.
-------Theodore Roosevelt---------

Osiris

Retired Moderator

Osiris

(>^-^)>( . Y . )

with windows Xp , itll be slow after 20 days

with linux, you can go pretty long; a friend of mine had his linux on for 105 days :o

Signature

RahXephon

the Professor

offtopic - LOL ROFL RO botting is so lame !

ontopic - It depends on how careful you use your computer. Treat it well, then it'll last long. Treat it like shit, smoke a lot, bang on it a lot, it'll get worser and worser.

d00d34

d00d34

The Self Saviour

it should be alright as long as you reboot it every now and then. Thats true for XP cos it does slow down after a while.

Signature
Ours is not to reason why, but to do or die.

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.