Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What to do with yumminess. Sigh. - Minitokyo

What to do with yumminess. Sigh.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

I started with this scan. Intial extraction got me this http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/903/akiramikazukiinitialbac.th.jpg.

Much micro cleanup later, I had a standalone figure that looks reasonable. Here on white: http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/8409/akiramikazukionwhite.th.jpg, and
Here again on black (but w/out as much orange cast, http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5451/akiramikazukionblack.th.jpg. I think I like her against the dark background better. But it's certainly not even close to a wall, it's just something to try to build something around.

I'd like to add a long cape ala Igicho-released style -- change her jacket into a cape. But So far, efforts along that line have been pretty unsatisfactory. I think the artist of ichigo uses 3-D modeling for some of his artwork, then renders it 2-D -- very hard to work with -- lots of gradients.

Any ideas on what to do with her? Should I just upload her in black as another scan? Doesn't seem finished though. Not really scan quality. Help?

Astara(athena(e))

thingperson

thingperson

Elizabeth, Ruler Of All Bishies

Well first you need to redo the extraction of her while some parts are smooth other parts of her are jagged. I would extract her slowly while zooming in by 400 or 500 times and with the feather on 1px. Also if your wanting to do a cape with her I would either find a scan that looks like it would fit her body position and size and try to put it on her. But if your ever wanting to put something together using different scans maybe vectoring her and the cape and vectoring them together would be a good idea so it looks like the original scan of her has a cape.

I hope this helps some, and if you have anymore questions or need anymore advise I will be happy to help..*smiles*.

All hail Queen Elizabeth, ruler of all bishies. Watch your back, you wanna-be's
My Husband's are Kaname, Tsuna, Ichigo, Naruto, Haji, Hei, Sebastian, Lee-Leng
and that is why my world is of silk sheets, imported champagne, and endless erotic delight..
Signature
	Image VISIT THE userpageskindesignss20-signaturestudiotag-licious AND JOIN US

the rendering job could of been done better

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

sorvani -- rendering? you mean the extraction like thing person mentioned?

Or do yo mean rendering as in whoever rendered (drew or created) the image?

Or do you mean whoever scanned in the image?

thingperson -- I still thought the final result looked fine, but maybe I delude myself? Are you speaking of the initial extraction or the final products against white/black? Sadly, I didn't know how people normally do extractions -- like by zooming in, like you said, and drawing a fine outline all around the figure with a pen-tool type thing, where you connect dots and draw bezier curves in between. I used the dumb magic eraser, which was horribly hard to 'steer'. Since then been practicing on other images more with the outline extraction method, though that still takes practice -- especially when some people, and some pictures look better with the outline left in, while others look better getting rid of the outline (cuz real people don't have outlines! :-)).

You said the 'feather'....what software are you referring to? Maybe I'm doing this wrong *still*, and need to learn another method? (Wouldn't be surprised. I'm way new at this!...)

Vectoring...someone gave me a lead on finding some tutorial, but people use the term loosely. Then there's 'vexeling', and drawings that are 'CG's? Not sure of the differences at this point. Have my ideas, but am too unsure to say.

Thanks for your input -- appreciate it! (Sorry for the long time to answer, I get distracted on various pet projects and forget respond in a timely fashion)...

Thanks again!
A*a

thingperson

thingperson

Quote by Athenae I used the dumb magic eraser, which was horribly hard to 'steer'. Since then been practicing on other images more with the outline extraction method, though that still takes practice -- especially when some people, and some pictures look better with the outline left in, while others look better getting rid of the outline (cuz real people don't have outlines! :-)).

You should use the lasso tool in photoshop if you have the program, or something like the lasso tool in whatever program you use. Because magic eraser leaves jagged edges, and a poor extraction behind.

Quote by Athenae
You said the 'feather'....what software are you referring to? Maybe I'm doing this wrong *still*, and need to learn another method? (Wouldn't be surprised. I'm way new at this!...)

You have the feather on 1px in the program photoshop, because then it takes off a size of 1px on the edges of the extraction and makes it much neater and smoother.

And your welcome im happy I could be of some help, if you have anymore questions or need anymore advise you can always ask me im happy to help..*smiles*.

and that is why my world is of silk sheets, imported champagne, and endless erotic delight..
Signature

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

Ah...misunderstood what you were talking about. I have problems steering the lasso as well -- it seems to either want to grab too much or not enough and then want to toggle back and forth between too much & too little but not exactly on what I wanted. So far, the only thing I've found that allows me to place the cutting line where I want it is the pen tool -- but that's **s**o** *t*e*d*i*o*u*s*.

As for the feather -- I got confused as to one program I've tried, 'Painter', I think, uses a feather shape as it's brush form. Neat thing about it though, it clearly shows the tilt and rotation of your physical pen on a tablet -- but it's not a very powerful program for other things.

As for the feather you are talking about -- I *have* used feather, and up till yesterday thought it was the cat's pajamas! But yesterday, as I was trying to clean up some individual sections via combinations of filling areas with (trying multiple things to see what works best...) various tools. The simplest start fills of a path (or point+lines). But so far, with that, all I get are monotone all-or-nothing's. It seems the least flexible.

If I select the path and create selected area, then I've found several other tools --
I'm sure I don't have all of them down or how to use all of them, but to name a few
I found and their behaviors,

paint bucket -- has advantage over simple file in that I can use opacity to control amount
of tint or show of previous image, still has disadvantage of being all or nothing.

gradients -- very hard to control. but can have allow for smooth transitons. If used with
opacity in the gradient can let previous layer show through.

A neet trick I stumbled into is after you have the rough area you want to work with, then you can re-edit that selection with quick mask mode. Since you can use brushes, brushes also take an opacity. This means besides widening or narrowing a selection, you can take
any area (inside or outside of the selection) and use % opacity -- a % opacity of black on the unselected area to partially "select" it, and a %opacity w/white to partially select areas outside your selection.

This is *like* the 'feather' option, but is "user-controlled" -- I put that in quotes since while it gives more control than the auto-feather, it's hard to tell how much an area is selected (%) inside or out, as it's only a degree of the 'quick mask' color, which itself is a transparent color over your original image. Might be better (just thought of this as I was writing, haven't tried it yet), but might be better to use a 99%-100% black for the opacity color -- then as you adjusted the selection, you'd see the areas that were more selected as appearing as the real image, while areas that were entirely masked would show as black, while degrees of image showing through the black would correspond to partial selection (or feathered areas).

In addition to the methods 'fill', paintbucket, and gradient, I 've also experimented with
clone brush+stamp - the stamp can be useful to help preserve texture from an area so it appears more like the print. But it's hard to easily cover an area with that.

Have even tried paintbrush and it's variants -- but so far my experiments there have mostly ended up with blotchy looking results (with a few exceptions). The lower extension of the legs of the picture at the start of this forum entry were done with a smaller set of these tools, mostly clone and brush.

I keep trying out new things and thinking of other things to try -- I don't have alot of experience with any of the tools & settings (like some ideas above that I haven't tried at all! :-)).

But the feather -- oh yeah -- problems... When trying to do fills of an area, if I have used feathers, on areas, I end up with out clean lines where there should be clean lines. I get jaggies, and mismatched colors. I think the auto-feather is useful when you are cut&pasting something from-to the same color background.

I don't remember if I knew about feathering in cut/paste when I did the above image. It's all been a pretty steep learning curve.

Any comments on the things I've learned so far? Any caveats -- I'm learning some of them, but trial and error...:-) But its like learning how to walk...you get up , you fall down....then you crawl and get up again....and then fall...etc...:-)

Lots of falling down...but have to admit, am making progress in learning, just wish I could
learn faster while falling down less. :-)

A*a

If you have a good version of photoshop, like cs1 or 2 at least, the magic wand makes it realy easyto isolate somthing.

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

Yeah...there's a quick select feature now too that speeds things up, but for accuracy, I haven't learned any methods better than manual placing of points/curves w/the pen tool. I'm pretty klutzy when it comes to detailed work with the Bezier curves that join point. More often than not, I have to place more dots between end-points because I didn't choose my end points at the right spot -- or, often, have to manually adjust the handles.

I most often have to down size a 'forward' handle, when I've stretched out a line so the handle (or control point) going in the opposite direction goes back far enough to push the curve into the right position somewhere. But then my forward leg is often way too long with me needing to make a curve -- such that if I placed a point, the curve would backtrack if I didn't shorten the previous dot's forward handle.

I hope you know what I'm talking about -- I don't know the right terminology or what people talk about when they refer to such things in here (if they refer to them at all). I may be talking way 'techno-geek' or 'way dumb', I don't know...:-)....

I've been fascinated by the Bezier curves (and the subset, French Curves) ever since reading about them and how easy it is to use them in graphics in a Unicode and Font book (Fonts & Encodings) last summer. Great book -- talked about how the Bezier curves are used to describe the beautiful generation of fonts including Truetype, Opentype and Apple's Truetype variation (and I think SVG fonts, but they haven't caught on, unfortunately). Each letter is a scaler vector pattern designed very similarly to how lines are drawn with the pen tool in Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Draw, Inkscape and others. It's a pretty useful function.

Ikkitousen is a fun series, BTW...:-) I like it too -- shows that stupidity can triumph over fate! :-)

thingperson

thingperson

I think the things you are learning and know are very useful and I can tell you understand a lot about the tools and effects of photoshop so this is good. And so true you are learning and its all trial and error so dont worry. And remember even the best artist had to start out as beginners :).

Signature

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.