Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 UA: Who wants a really fun (walling) competition? >:D - Minitokyo

UA: Who wants a really fun (walling) competition? >:D

Group announcement by TheUnderappreciated

page 1 of 1 7 total items

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Please do not reply to this thread - visit THE COMPETITION DRAFT THREAD and post there - thanks!

HAY DERE ALL!

Raise your arm if you're still alive/ active on Minitokyo!

I was just wondering the number of people who are actually still active on Mt in our group.

For those who still remember me, Misa's temporarily back - for those who don't, I'll self intro myself as Misa.

To members who aren't too familiar with the group's history if you've just newly joined or only know as much as you can from the group page, here's a bit of background on the group we referred to as "UA" (TheUnderAppreciated).

The group originally was an idea Teryon came up with, and he went ahead and created the group, and I am more or less the co-creator. We were concerned with the lack of recognition many wallers or artists received in terms of comments and favourites purely because the content of the wallpaper was either not popular, or because the waller didn't have a lot of people watching them. We established this group to get a tightly knit community of wallers who are happy to just keep on walling and improving. We critique works in progress, and we hold competitions as well. As a result, a lot of the members have improved drastically in terms of photoshop skills, and we're quite close in terms of contact.

Trekking back in time, UA has had some really spectacular moments - we participated in a Minitokyo-wide contest named W.A.R in 2005, and won the collaboration round. From memory there was also W.A.R 2 in 2006. Later, a lot of members participated in Arete (Yoshitaka Amano challenge) which although was held by SchattenRand, plenty of UA members participated.

UA held its first Minitokyo-wide competition named "The Rotten Egg Challenge" where members were asked to make anything and everything from DDR backgrounds from listening to a DDR mp3, to wallpapers of particular themes. The competition involved teamwork (pairing), bribing and betting.

Not long after that, areteii was held (Kunie Kanbara challenge) for SchattenRand, again involving UA.

The final project UA ever held was "UA: THE ONE CHALLENGE" where we specify one technique, and you have to wall using only that one technique. It was a difficult project, and it has temporarily halted for... 1.5 years.

My question to you all is: (1) Are you active on Minitokyo? Please leave a reply (2) Who is interested in a competition?

Please leave your responses here and state what you'd perhaps like to see from UA.

If there's a possibility that there are a handful of you still active, and you guys are really keen on having a large scale competition like W.A.R (36 contestants, across 6 groups) EDIT/ this is just as an example, so to speak, please write that down and let me know. I will try my best to come up with a new and exciting competition for you all. I've noticed that a lot of the walling groups such as NewWaveProject, SchattenRand and a-wallpaperrevolution are gone, but I'm sure there are new groups that can fill in those spots. EDIT/ The new competition under way will mostly likely NOT concern grouping of members, so members will represent themselves as individuals, with the choice of a collab competition working in pairs.

And if you're reading this, but you're not a UA member and you're interested, please post!
I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone :D

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

Heya Misa, long time no see! :D Glad to see you around! Or rather, shame on me for not lurking around that much lol.

1. I'm err... semi active. Competitions will make me active, seriously. I swear.

2. I do! Havent been walling for... more than a year, its a good opportunity to see if walling is still in the systems.

Ouch, I didnt know most of the groups are gone. I'm not sure if I can actually present any brilliant ideas since I dont come up with one all the time. But I was thinking if we can actually do something with originals (be it walled or doujinshi) + walls. Using original drawings that could be found in MT and turn it into some effingly cool wall.

Aaaanyway, just some ideas that just popped into my head. Coz I was thinking of promoting some not very highly noticed genre/groups that are in MT, and doujinshi is one of them.

Signature Image

All blackheads in Mashima Hiro's mangas are my boyfriends. Owh yes they are.

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Ephie <3 *hugs*

Well, as usual, the stuff we usually wall in competitions are usually categories with really few wallpapers, but nice scans to work with. I think it's a good idea to probably wall:

- A tag/ category (mangaka) with less than 10 wallpapers
- A doujinshi (not trace art, but actual original work) in the gallery of your choice (after asking for permission to wall, of course)

Hmmmmmm size will probably be set to one of the widescreen resolutions - I think this could be interesting because I've never walled widescreen before (yep, it has been that long since...) - I trust a lot of people still haven't either, if they disappeared for a while.

Only problem is trying to actually find people to participate XD It's pretty quiet around here. Or we could make it a project instead of a competition, though I don't know how effective it'd be in terms of turn out :x

Signature
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

*raises hand*
I want an epic contest like W.A.R T___T I never entered one since I was a walling n00b when the first one were held.

Maybe we could do something with Vector-wallers (I'm an admin there, but I'll to ask vitaa what she thinks about it since we are actually holding a contest right now)

I had so much fun with the Arete ii, so I support another project like that

8) I'm not a member of UA, btw

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Teehee not a problem, Fran <3 Anyone and everyone is welcome to post XD

The problem with holding a W.A.R 3 is that W.A.R was always and has been organised by flyin since it was her original idea, and I'd prefer it that it would be a flyin hosted event since it's hers <3 That's the tricky part about doing something like that.

BUT - we could do something different in the respect that it's not group vs group which is what W.A.R started out as being. It could be a purely individual contest, but you don't represent a group - you represent yourself.

The first thing that comes to mind is Battle Royale - but yeah, if you read the edits just under this, it has been done before. I think though, we can definitely come up with a fresh idea and competition format that isn't the same. Essentially the only real thing about a Battle Royale is the sudden death knock out (which is fun and dangerous), but the competition doesn't have to be called that. It's just really basically a knockout competition *_*

EDIT/ I think NWP did a Battle Royale. I must check up on this, but since NWP is down, I can discuss with DREAM since he used to admin it~
EDIT2/ If people like the idea of a knockout competition, we can do this without any problems :) Only thing is I'm pretty sure "Battle Royale" did use to exist, and I think I remember the format. Methinks we need to give it a different name and change the competition format and it's all good to go.)

The aim would be similar to the movie - and it'll be a knockout challenge. I could make the rules very simple and have a series of rounds, or I could throw in a set of very complicated rules where you can gang up and "kill" a waller by grouping up with others :x (okay that sounds too complicated T_T I think a knockout will do). We could give each waller a "weapon" that they must use to make their wallpaper (but this will make things very very hard, but it will be very very fun).

EG. Member 1 and Member 2 and Member 3 are knocked out of the competition. Winners that proceed into round two get to accumulate the "weapons" the knocked out members had. Note > the problem is what kind of weapons you can actually assign to a waller over the Internet ._. I shall give this some more thought.

Time will be very restricted (1.5- 2 weeks per round), with a 3-5 day period for judging.

We could also have a "Battle Royale II" knockout which will be like the second movie and wallers will work in teams of 2.

However if that sounds too crazy, I don't mind holding an Arete iii. It's a fairly simple project (one scan) and it's always really interesting to see how it turns out.

>:3

Signature

Battle Royale eh? I actually love the sound of that.

The thought of providing a wide variety of weapons must be carefully thought of though. Maybe it doesnt have to collect weapons? Instead you collect the licenses of walling styles you can use for your walls? It's like you started empty, and slowly as you win, you're eligible to use all sorts of walling genre and your wallpaper gets more complicated and trickier (Vector, texture, abstract, brush, etc.) But with that it kinda limits what sort of people are going to be joining this competition though.

Arete was refreshing though I missed out Arete ii. Yoshitaka Amano was tricky, but gawwwd it was fun seriously!

Signature Image

All blackheads in Mashima Hiro's mangas are my boyfriends. Owh yes they are.

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

I hate to bump this thread, but I'm going to refer you all to the new thread.

Visit: http://forum.minitokyo.net/t66736 <-- COMPETITION DRAFT, PRELIMINARY RECRUITMENT AND INFORMATION.

And dayum, who knew you couldn't close group announcement threads?

Please do not post on this thread - post HERE instead! Thanks!

Signature

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.