Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Expiring unused/unaccessed usernames - Minitokyo

Expiring unused/unaccessed usernames

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

When I originally signed up, I tried my standard name 'Astara', and it said it was taken.
Then tried 'Athena', it was taken, so I have what I have. Looking at the User pages for
those names, Athena is a real person, obviously, but 'Astara' was created 4 years ago and has no activity in any area and was last on over a year ago.

Is there any policy for reclaiming inactive accounts? It's not like any thing would be lost if
they have nothing on their user page. Or am I missing something?

If there is no deletion policy (like "if acount empty", then if hasn't signed on in XX period of time, then either send email ? if bounce, goto del' or wait for a week, if no response, del...etc) then
wouldn't the db tend to fill up with the more common names all being unavailable whether they are actually used or not?

A*a

thingperson

thingperson

Elizabeth, Ruler Of All Bishies

Quote by Athenae Looking at the User pages for those names, Athena is a real person, obviously, but 'Astara' was created 4 years ago and has no activity in any area and was last on over a year ago.

Well no currently there is no policy yet on expired or unused usernames. Well also because even if that member hasn't log in for a year they may come back online and be active again many members do that. Also the deletion policy in that you can not delete your account, only stop logging in and only one account is yours. So chances are that the username you are wanting will not get expired or available for you to use.

Also I think is reusing usernames like you suggest might cause confusion because if you were to take over a old username then the previous members history and posts would have to be deleted. And it would be confusing because what if another member remembers the post, comments, and is friends with the member username you took over and that also would require lot of deleting history of the previous members post and etc. Thats more work for the moderators and such. Also if the mods were to delete the history of the previous usernames posts and etc. That would mess up forum discussions and conversation for when if a member goes back to look at the conversation and that members post is important to the topic or thread at hand and if it gets deleted and is missing then they get confused and the topic or thread may not make sense.

All I suggest for new members is just make sure your name is creative and something you will like and use because you only get one account and if it bothers you when posting on other sites then just say on minitokyo I am aka (so and so).

All hail Queen Elizabeth, ruler of all bishies. Watch your back, you wanna-be's
My Husband's are Kaname, Tsuna, Ichigo, Naruto, Haji, Hei, Sebastian, Lee-Leng
and that is why my world is of silk sheets, imported champagne, and endless erotic delight..
Signature
	Image VISIT THE userpageskindesignss20-signaturestudiotag-licious AND JOIN US

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

I wouldn't suggest deleting a once active user. But if they have no comments, no scans, no art, etc.. They have 'nothing' on their account but 0/0/0 from what I could see (maybe admins see more), then there isn't much chance of someone new being confused with the old person because they never posted anything! But if they ever posted anything, I would entire agree with with your logic -- it is sound in that case. But I disagree with that reasoning for accounts with absolutely no data as I'm sure you would as well -- though maybe you wouldn't agree with deleting them on other grounds --- just not a reason that doesn't seem to apply in this situation.

A*a

Anyway, no biggie one way or another, but just thought if it was the case that there wasn't any associated data with an account it might be a candidate for recycling after a year or two of unuse...

thingperson

thingperson

Elizabeth, Ruler Of All Bishies

Quote by AthenaeI wouldn't suggest deleting a once active user. But if they have no comments, no scans, no art, etc.. They have 'nothing' on their account but 0/0/0 from what I could see (maybe admins see more), then there isn't much chance of someone new being confused with the old person because they never posted anything! But if they ever posted anything, I would entire agree with with your logic -- it is sound in that case.

Well in this case maybe you should apply your concerns or request to a moderator for a "one time thing" or even to change your username. Because making this a new rule and such would be confusing and a little complicated so I would just ask a friendly moderator and give them reasons why you think you should have that name and also that the account has no history in it so it should be fine for you to use it.

Quote by AthenaeAnyway, no biggie one way or another, but just thought if it was the case that there wasn't any associated data with an account it might be a candidate for recycling after a year or two of unuse...

Aww its ok, I understand and its a good question to put to people. Ive often wondered this about many other sites because a lot of good usernames are taken so its quite hard to get a good one sometimes.

All hail Queen Elizabeth, ruler of all bishies. Watch your back, you wanna-be's
My Husband's are Kaname, Tsuna, Ichigo, Naruto, Haji, Hei, Sebastian, Lee-Leng
and that is why my world is of silk sheets, imported champagne, and endless erotic delight..
Signature
	Image VISIT THE userpageskindesignss20-signaturestudiotag-licious AND JOIN US

Sheqel

Administrator

Sheqel

send me a PM :)

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Sheq u beat me to it. ^_~

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.