Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How you explain the difference b/w anime and cartoons - Minitokyo

How you explain the difference b/w anime and cartoons

page 3 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 85 total items

Anime is from japan and it's for the mature audience(not for littel kids)

Signature Image

Anime is basically animation in Japan. There are many anime categories so it isn't just for adults or just kids. There's Kids anime, anime for teens, and anime for adults and then there's anime for 18+. Not all anime have a plot and is just random. I'm not sure what other countries call animation in their countries so i'm just gonna say cartoons is animation in USA. Cartoons aren't just for kids. For example, Family Guy, Boondocks, Ugly Americans. All aren't suitable for children to watch. Not saying the rating and time slots will stop them but they aren't made for children. Cartoons are more said about shows that are 2d. Shows that are 3d or like South Park is known as animated series. Or at least that's what i call it. Not exactly sure if that's right but that's how i see it. But to answer the main question. I just tell them that anime is pretty much Japanese cartoons.

anime has better storylines and is more centered toward teens.
and anime has better graphics and art. ^_^

pezdec

pezdec

v.ʕʘ‿ʘʔ.v

is animation originating in Japan/

London bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down.
London bridge is falling down, my fair lady!

loutemi2

loutemi2

TAMAYA !! \(^o^)/

That's completely different. Anime often have deep significations, whereas a cartoon is just to have a funny moment.

an anime is an entire japanese production...it is a part of their culture..of their art...a cartoon is more of an amercian expression and it leads towards comedy entirely...an anime is a storyteller...it can contain drama,fighting,comedy,love,fantasy...etc...

well a cartoon is an improvisation...a drawing that just ocurr to you in some moment...and an anime well is han animated novel, it's the insertion of a plot on a 2d drawing...i just conffused my self ...more

Anime is better than normal than cartoons and it is from japan

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

This is just my opinion... There's no difference, Anime = Cartoons

Both are drawn by artists (cartoon artists are artists too), both have "storylines", both are fun to watch...

I like Anime and Cartoons :)

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

Anine for Japan~~~

Cartoon for other countries~~~

anime = japan (naruto, bleach, one piece, etc)
cartoons = US (batman, bart simpson, etc)

anime is japanese animation which is prodacted for all age of people, but cartoon is usually made for children

maxlinkmax

maxlinkmax

Legendary ACG fan

simple....
cartoon and anime...
cartoons are more american like family guy kinda stuff
animes are more japanese....
also... animations are most likely more serious and longer than cartoons....
cartoons are more like for humor purpose... and cartoons are usually shorter than animes... most of the time every single episode of cartoons doesn't relate to other episodes...

第666拘束機関解放、次元干渉虚数方陣展開、イデア機関接続、ブレイブルー起動!!!見せてやるよ!!!これが蒼の力を!!!

ichikawav8

ichikawav8

ichikawav8

both are animations, but anime are japanese cartoons/animations.

ichikawav8

kikaruu

kikaruu

I'm fairly innocuous.

I just say that anime has depth.

I can't base a difference on style, since the same styles can be present throughout different series. As an example, Crayon Shin Chan. That is anime, yes? But anyone who saw it for the first time probably wouldn't think so. Or the movie "MIND GAME". There are so many different styles present in that movie, rotosocoping to seinen to bishoujo. Continuing with how styles are blurred, look at three oft-mentioned series: "Teen Titans", "Avatar: The Last Airbender", and "Code: Lyoko". None are made in Japan. All look like what most people to consider anime, or at least Japanese in origin.

Ever seen "The Animatrix"? The CGI in those snippets falls under anime. But it doesn't look like anime, does it? It's CGI -- not tied to a country.

And oh! Show someone who's never heard of anime/manga "Black Jack". Think they'd think it came from Japan? No. It's just another comic to them, until they read it. Then it feels like something more than a typical comic. That's the difference between manga and comics, anime and cartoons.

So it's not an art thing, and it's not a country thing, either. I never say that anime is Japanese/only from Japan, since there is also anime from Korea, China, the Philippines, and other Eastern countries. And a lot of times, we might not even realize it. For example, "Pucca", a series on Disney/Jetix. It looks like a cartoon to some, but it's from South Korea. "Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles" is another series. It's anime. It's also from Korea. See what I'm getting at?

When you look at the word anime, you have to remember that that is all it is -- a word. It's just another nations name for something that many nations enjoy -- animation. To Japanese, our animation (if any are syndicated/licensed overseas) is also anime. It's just a word.

Therefore, I do think that it's primarily a depth issue. I'd probably call "Teen Titans" or "Avatar: The Last Airbender" anime, because both series carry a well-rounded, thought out plot, that grows deeper and deeper. It's not just about some kids everyday life. The kids (in both shows) take on the world, and the problems that come with that responsibility. Disabilities, sorrow, inheritance, angst, drama, comedy, attractions, emotions. Cartoons don't carry that wide range of themes (e.g. "Snow White"). Anime does. Cartoons don't make a character suffer the weight of the world on his shoulders, like "Neon Genesis Evangelion" does. Anime does. Cartoons don't show what happens after a gun explodes in your hands. Anime does (think Gantz).

There is just so much more that happens in anime versus a cartoon. And that's what I say: "Anime has depth. There you go." And then whoever I'm talking to and I sit down and watch a few episodes of "Now And Then, Here and There", and we have our minds blown away.

~Kikaruu

You should check out my free music! http://www.last.fm/music/Kikaruu/

anime-storyline better than cartoon
-graphic also
-got opening, ending theme
-and ............
so don't even take cartoon compare to anime

GunsxShurikens

GunsxShurikens

??????????

I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE WHO DOESN'T KNOW ANIME CALL THEM CARTOON!

They're like, soooo different.
First, cartoons are for America/west style animations.
Second, animes are for Japanese animations which is better, more detailed, more exited.... no wonder there are many people prefer anime over cartoon.

Anime:
They're more detailed, always get people hooked on while watching it, always have cosplayers, worth to kill time over it, could see it put more effort in making it.

Cartoon:
They're more simplified, more easy to draw, less detailed. Which is why they're more suited to 3 year old kids.

And again....

I REALLY DON'T LIKE ANIMES TO BE CALLED CARTOONS! THEY'RE FOR 3 YEAR OLD KIDS TO WATCH WHILE ANIMES ARE FOR TEENS AND ADULTS! SO DON'T EVER MISTAKE ANIMES WITH CARTOONS!

Ok, that's enough. Sorry 'bout that.

"My biggest fear isn't that one day I wouldn't remember this. It's knowing, that one day, you won't be there to remind me."
"I'm waiting for you" from Yuki
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/mahora3-a/No1ChaofSpringsig.png

Cartoons have more meaning.
Animes have more entertainment!
<3
love both!

Peace ...

anime from japan =(0_0)= nice!
cartoon from west

betydigimon

betydigimon

Digimon Lover XD

anime is more cooler

yeahhhhh! yay! xDD

Anime is from Japan, cartoons are from other country like US/uk

Anime is much better in terms of story and usually has MUCH BETTER VOICE ACTORS!
The art is rly good and even the comedy is good.
Cartoons mostly for comedy. Art isnt the best.

There isn't any difference.

page 3 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 85 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.