Listen to music for the beat, lyrics, or both?

Do you listen to music for the beat, lyrics, or both?

Beat
15 votes
Lyrics
7 votes
Both
61 votes
Neither. I don't listen to music
1 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 126 total items

Cancel

I've sorta been wondering what people listen to music for: the beat, lyrics, or both? (Of course, if you chose neithter, then I'm wondering why you're reading threads in the Music section of the forums. :P)

For me, I mainly listen to Techno and J-pop, and because I don't really understand Japanese and sorta listen to the J-pop lyrics as part of the rhythm of the song, I guess I have to say that I listen to music for the beat.

• Mar 12, 2010

geneticdoom

geneticdoom

Uber Prinny Doom

Cancel

since i cant understand japanese i too consider the lyrics as part of the beat but i mostly listen to rock which is sung in english so lyrics are also very important to me though i have found myself listening to music in japanese i wouldnt otherwise listen in english...

Humanity is a failed experiment, marching towards extinction.

• Mar 12, 2010
Cancel

I vote both coz music isn't complete if it lacks any...except for those classicals

Cancel

I listen to music for the overall sound - the instruments used, the quality of the singing, the tune, the way it blends together...
The lyrics are more of an added bonus, but a song with fantastic lyrics can turn a really good song into an outright masterpiece. It's no wonder why I love Epica so much...

I'll vote beat, though.

• Mar 12, 2010

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

Cancel

I listen to the beat mostly, the lyrics I will listen to when I first download the song or buy the cd (before that gets edited or fussed over I download from itunes, you have to pay money so it's not stealing), but for the most part I just listen to the beat. it helps with writing and the likes, I zone out way too much.

Undertaker:Kuroshitsuji: How sad it would be, should laughter disappear.

Signature

quantabiru

quantabiru

Asahina Hikaru desu~!

Cancel

beat first, then the lyrics...
most of japanese music has a good lyrics,
and it has positive meaning for me..

~kitto dekiru~

dnandre

dnandre

it's ... nothing

Cancel

i choose both :3
though i only know Japanese a little, but i think the music (J-pop/J-rock) isn't complete if one of them (beat or lyric) are bad xD

just like supercell's song ... both lyric and music are great xD

Signature

Cancel

i listen for the boht cause the lyric and beat makes the songworth while

• Mar 13, 2010

ahhhhhzness

ahhhhhzness

beastly

Cancel

for me mostly the beat :)
then the lyrics especially when it comes to Japanese music cauz me no understand >.< hehe
but u dont have to understand it to love it

demons run when a good man goes to war, night will fall and drown the sun when a good man goes to war, friendship dies and true love lies, night will fall and the dark will rise when a good man goes to war

River Song
Doctor Who

Cancel

Quote by ahhhhhznessbut u dont have to understand it to love it

Exactly, which is why lyrics aren't necessary for a song to be awesome. A number of the songs I like have ridiculous lyrics about things like necrophilia and wanting to be cannabalized, but the songs themselves are just so awesome to listen to that I end up not caring.

• Mar 13, 2010
Cancel

I listen to both of them ofcourse if i ddn't like the lyrics i wouldn't like the song and vice versa ^^

[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/ukiee/girlsclub66.png[/img]

• Mar 13, 2010

Iljima

Iljima

The Mist Princess

Cancel

I will have to say both. When I first found a song, I listen to the beat, the melody, the general feeling. Then if I like it, I go and look for the lyric. Most of the time if the lyric...um, not really good, I get bored of the song very quickly. Same go with if the lyric is good but the melody is bad. SO yeah, I listen for both X3

"If you want to make your surrounding happy. Smile."

• Mar 13, 2010
Cancel

Oh, I realized something kind of obvious: depending on what genre the song is and what singing style is being employed, the lyrics are prone to have a varying effect on the song itself. Death metal, for example - in most cases, the lyrics are incomprehensible on a first listen through, or at least for those who aren't any good at distinguishing one harsh noise from another. On the other end of the scale, most pop songs actually rely on their lyrics to make the song popular enough for success (whether because of the fact that a huge portion of their target audience are teenage girls who cling to romantic fantasies or something else, I'm not sure - I generally make a habit of keeping my distance from pop at all times).

• Mar 13, 2010
Cancel

hgggggggggggg

Cancel

depends on the situation and mood, but usually both!

...hear me...

• Mar 14, 2010
Cancel

both but lyrics is very important for me. i like to feel the song

• Mar 17, 2010
Cancel

For ones I don't understand.. sometimes it's better not to look at the lyrics unless I really have an urge to..
But I like to have both.

• Mar 23, 2010
Cancel

I voted for both.
The lyrics are more important to me than the beat. If the lyrics are pretty catchy, or meaningful to me.

Marked by the outsider.Signature Image

Cancel

Both are important...the melody is what turns the lyrics flow...

• Mar 26, 2010
Cancel

beat first , lyrics are a bonus

• Mar 28, 2010
Cancel

Both.
Beat when I'm listen and lyric when I'm writing.

• Apr 01, 2010
Cancel

Depends on the song, but usually for the beat.

Cancel

i vote for. . . both

• Apr 01, 2010
Cancel

I prefer the beat.

page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 126 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.