Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Spam Rant! Just blowing off steam. - Minitokyo

Spam Rant! Just blowing off steam.

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Wraith

Scanner

Wraith

No Longer A Contributor

Ok, over the past several months I have been getting a lot of spam comments from new users ... and before anyone says that's because they are new and don't know better or language barrier or whatever ... anyway, on with my rant. I have rarely posted in the forums but now I feel I need to just to get this off my chest for lack of a better reason. I normally like to reply to comments I get from the scans that I scan and post. There are some that have very good opinions and are long and well written when they post their comments and there are some that are good but short and to the point. Those are great and I enjoy getting them :) Then there are those that post half a dozen words, twenty goddam (can I say that?) times in thirty seconds! I've tried to be nice about it and offer some friendly advice not to spam. Some listened, for others, the words went in one eyeball and out the other and didn't register with that thing they call a brain. I can understand why I would never make a good moderator, I'd be crawling through my monitor to slap the idiot on the other side way to many times.

Lately I have been checking on people who have made a comment just once on one of my scans and found there would be a full page of the same comment but to different users. They are getting smarter. That's my fault, I should have left well enough alone and never started checking. I applaud the mods that go around and deal with this sort of thing. You have more patience than I do. I have been contemplating using the report button but I don't want to swamp the mods with multiple instances of spam even if that's what they are there for. What really sucks is I work away from home and I am gone for two weeks at a time. I can't always get on and check to see how many notification I get from work. The bulk of them will be favorites (two thumbs up) and second place will be SPAM! At it's peak, if I remember right, I had over 200 notifications after a two week period away from home and I had to sift through that and delete the spam and reply to the ones that deserve it. I suppose I could just delete the whole lot of them but if some one took the time to make a decent well thought out comment then I should have the decency to reply.

Ahhh ... I feel somewhat better. If you mods don't mind, perhaps you could leave this up for a few days before you delete it. Just in case one or two of those spammers happen to read it and start changing their bad habits, it'll do a world of good. And make me feel a lot better.

PS. I hope this was the right place to post this ... if not, my apologies.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

yea I have noticed they spam anywhere, even in the scans they will spam on them, with those that upload them I can only imagine the pain. I hope it isn't deleted, because people need to seriously learn the rules, I mean all it takes is "spamming" a bit in the off topic section in legit posts, like last person to win and so forth to get credits there's no since in wasting time on all accounts with spamming works of art/scans it's just cruel to do so, in my opinion, not to mention rude. and yes it does get time consuming to report, but did you know you can get credits for reporting as well, credits aren't obtained by posting and spamming alone tsk tsk, people need to ask how to get credits before they flood the area with gibberish, in my opinion.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

I agree with angelxxuan on reporting. If serial spammers are found, the moderators can deal with them appropriately, and the simplest way to let them know is to report on individual posts or threads.

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

I agree I have also been getting spam comments for my stuff as well. And quite frankly I am tired of it. "nice wall" is bullstuff and its really getting old. The thing I find funny about these people are the semple fact that we as artists or even forum posters and scan uploaders take pride in our work. So to see a comment like "nice wall" really erks me. I would think that there would be acharicter lmit on how much you type so say they type stuff like "nice wall" then no credits. as far as the off topic forum goes. I honistly don't think it should exist. I have noticed forums with this as an active part of the community and it works out well because you have those that don't even go into this section.If we are going to keep this section then we need a way to keep credits from going up. and post count

anti-spammers | photoshop-lovers

longhairgirl

longhairgirl

叫んでやるぜ!!

All of this is very true - experienced likely situations too. And I consider it good if they just add a dozen of 'Thank You' comments on my scans, but once I even had a user leaving a sort of 'kfghjklasdf' thing - should it been done just once I'd pass it up, but repeated about 5-7 times (only for my scans, and maybe there'd been more for other scans and users), doesn't seem all that funny anymore!

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

Quote by longhairgirlAll of this is very true - experienced likely situations too. And I consider it good if they just add a dozen of 'Thank You' comments on my scans, but once I even had a user leaving a sort of 'kfghjklasdf' thing - should it been done just once I'd pass it up, but repeated about 5-7 times (only for my scans, and maybe there'd been more for other scans and users), doesn't seem all that funny anymore!

Oh you have gotten the kfghjklasdf thing aw well huh?

RafaDX

RafaDX

Nulla é Reale. Tutto é Lecito

LOL good, i talk to wraith sometimes about that, they don't know limits, a few weeks i give a advice to a guy like Wraith does and the guy just change to one kind of scan to other, i have two artbooks of queens blade in my gallery, he have spammed one i advice him, them he changes the other and i advice again so he jumps to the rest o the gallery, i reported two times for the moderators, even with the warnings the guy don't stop until they have muted by Kayurachan, and the longhairgirl is right, i got that kfghjklasdf thing in some of my spectral force scans, the worst is the guy change like he spam 'nice scan' they get warned, and they change to 'nice scan thanks for sharing XD' this is even worst, they read the warning and just put a little words but the habit continue, i hate report, but sometimes they don't leave choice, let the moderators axe fall in their stone heads huahauhaua, nice topic Wraith, is a anoying thing happening in MT lately.

PS: Look how many gallery comments have this guy, damn bastard *Shake the hand in threat*

Signature
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Believe me you are not the only ones who are frustrated. Some of the Staff have consistently proposed having a character limit on posts, but the argument against that is that people will just spam with nonsense. Additionally, others have made the case that they oftentimes don't have enough to say to fill a character limit so we might get a lot of "..." to fill up the rest of the character limit.

But please... continue to voice your concerns on this issue and hopefully more Staff members will take notice! (^o^)/

In the meantime, I'll reiterate what Tama and angel said about reporting... don't worry about giving us more work. We're all doing our part to try and reduce spam here at MT!

Signature Image

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

I have created a group for those that want to help out with the spammers Anti-Spammers I really haven't thought what this is about but I'm sure if we can get all those that do not like the spamming going on here the staff will take notice to this issue and do something about it. so feel free to join anyone can join that's been here quite a while. so lets see what we can do.

Now back to the issue at hand. I am finally glad to see a member of staff post in this topic. Although I use to run my own site and I know that it was a really hard thing to do with so many members and to keep the spammers off the site. Reporting is the best thing we as members can do to keep this spamming down. so @fireflywishes I agree you guys have to much work and its hard to run a site such as this with all the spamming going on. I know the feeling I was admin at AO for a good 3 years so I know where your coming from. but if reporting gets the staff's attention on some issues like the recent spammer that posted "Thank You..." to every post he made and racked up almost 113 posts That is unacceptible for someone to get away with. I read the guy's guestbook and saw that I mod told him to stop. I don't know if it worked but I still think reporting is the bes solution for right now.

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Well...I have several spammers in the reviews of others and myself. ALL of them keep saying the same things over and over and over again. I swear it's getting on my nerves =.=
Some of them say something typical like "Thanks for the review" for the umpteenth time , recently , another lad says "Well you did your best. So it's fine" and another one kept spamming "...." the whole day long. Well , I suspect that their spamming for the download points , either that or their having too much free time in their hands.

Morrow

Scanner

Morrow

...is in stealth mode.

I find that pretty annoying too :(
I hope this helps a bit: http://forum.minitokyo.net/t67336

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.