Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Religion or Science: Which side are you on? - Minitokyo

Religion or Science: Which side are you on?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next » 197 total items

I am a Catholic, but I aim to mix science with religious belief.(I will give my OPINION, so if you don't agree, no need to hate me) God created the world, and he gave us all knowledge, free will and reasoning---that's where science comes in. Science is the human form of the explanation of how and why things are the way they are. Science has no room for belief of magic, right? Such an "impossible" feat is unheard of, they say. Is it because humans can't accept religion to explain everything, is that why? But, I believe, when we die and go to heaven, God will then give us all the answers.

What do you think?

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I'm shinto/zen buddhist, I believe that the world was created and good and evil is lurking and helping "mankind" chose which path to walk and karma influences what will become of you in the afterlife and the next life. I don't really follow the science aspect of it. I do know that science plays a part when it comes to people "playing god" when it comes to medicine and prolonging life, either good or bad, but as for how science explains the creation of earth, that's science, that's not what I have learned. and no, we are not alone.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Both XD
I am religious but though I am religious, to whatever extent that may be, it doesn't necessarily mean that I reject science and all the theories that come with it. Science is right on most levels and is our key to understanding the world as we know it. However, when it comes to whether there is a god or not, I believe that we have to use our intuition, what we think is right. Logic can only take us so far.

I'm all for science, but religion in itself isn't bad.
And it's not as if people HAVE to choose between science and religion, i mean, there are plenty of religious scientists out there who believe in evolution.

merged: 03-28-2010 ~ 02:01pm

Quote by CrystalEyedHyugaI am a Catholic, but I aim to mix science with religious belief.(I will give my OPINION, so if you don't agree, no need to hate me) God created the world, and he gave us all knowledge, free will and reasoning---that's where science comes in. Science is the human form of the explanation of how and why things are the way they are. Science has no room for belief of magic, right? Such an "impossible" feat is unheard of, they say. Is it because humans can't accept religion to explain everything, is that why? But, I believe, when we die and go to heaven, God will then give us all the answers.

What do you think?

As an extension of what i posted earlier, why can't evolution have happened, but God have started the process?
When you think about it, the chances of meteors containing life hitting Earth enough times, with this life SURVIVING, and there being enough to eventually populate the Earth is phenomenal.
Not to mention the creation of oxygen, a stable atmoshphere, the development of intelligent multiorganism beings, the list goes on and on.
So, who says that evolution couldn't have happened, but something just nudged it in the right direction?

beyondmeasure

From the mind comes the query.

And it's not as if people HAVE to choose between science and religion, i mean, there are plenty of religious scientists out there who believe in evolution.

Plenty? I know of Kurt Wise. I know of some guys from Templeton. And that's all.

But anyway, quibbling aside: people would have to choose between one and the other when they see the contradications one has with the others, as the man I mention here did.

As an extension of what i posted earlier, why can't evolution have happened, but God have started the process?

Ye know, this seriously reeks of something in the lines of: Please PLEASE, give my God a gap! PLEASE! But I do think it an interesting line of thought.

When you think about it, the chances of meteors containing life hitting Earth enough times, with this life SURVIVING, and there being enough to eventually populate the Earth is phenomenal.

Well, play a slot machine, have it spin enough times, and you might get yourself a life. Between the making of the world and the emergence of the first organisms: it's not that hard to imagine once ye factor time, and massive amounts of time at that.

samu02

Back to Basics

From a Spiderman comicbook:

Spiderman: What's the truth? The magic, or the science?

Shaman: (looks at Peter) Tomorrow the sun will come up. You can tell me all the reasons of science that it does come up, the orbital mechanics, all the laws of thermodynamics. And I can say that it will because it is meant to come up. I see no contradiction. Do you?

Spiderman: (silent for awhile) No... I guess I don't at that (walks away).

I do love that friendly neighborhood spider...

"If faced with a life or death situation, an average person would choose life; a hero also chooses life, just not for himself"
"Knowledge is Power. But Power unused accomplishes nothing"
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/11.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

I believe in science... I also believe in religion... However we should admit that there are things beyond science because logic isn't everything, u see? People's logic in the past was that earth is the center of the universe, right? No one oppose it for a very long time because they think it's logical. However, what people in this era will say about that? Irrational. Religion sometimes can make false perception too, but I think if I should choose, I will choose faith. It certainly differs from religion and science, but faith is the thing that can change this world in certain ways. Remember the Bible? Jesus healed those who got faith, not those who were loyal to religion or science. This faith healed the disease that was impossible to cure at that time. Faith will lead us to believe in our religion... and science. Actually I don't think they are actually opposing each other. It's just that people have different perceptions about them... Well, that's just what I'm thinking... ^^

kyubichan

kyubichan

Mobile Blackhole

I'm an agnostic theist.

I believe that there is a creator, one who made the universe and by extension, us. However, I also believe that currently, no religion can adeptly explain nor encompass the concept of this creator. I also believe that the creator doesn't necessarily not care, nor care... he (I'll refer to the creator as a he) just wants things to move along in a manner where our frail human minds don't explode. Despite our 'superiority' over other living creatures, I believe that the creator knows that we cannot be his mindless drones, and that he should not interfere with things that we want to do (even though we believe that we are so awesome). That is, he let 'evolution' take place on all levels so that we can better comprehend and explain the things around us; by extension, science was created to study those things.

I'll put it this way: the creator is an intelligent, understanding father who does not want to suffocate his children by completely controlling their lives.

Because yes!

And thus came the creation of free will....which I am so glad to be given.

im a future scientist,so i believe in science not in religion!we are in a democratic world so i respect other people vision about religion.

I trust both. I believe in God but it's possible to believe in science...

i believe in god mainly because the thought of an existence where there's nothing after life at all is just a scary thought... i mean that's a life without consequence if i knew for a fact that that was true i don't think i could ever really care about anyone or anything because honestly what's the point?

Both things wisely walk together.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

completely agree...

I am strickly bounded to science, and even if I was raised a christian I can't help it but change it to atheism :/

Quote by EveneshI am strickly bounded to science, and even if I was raised a christian I can't help it but change it to atheism :/

That's exactly what happened to me, actually.

I don't deny that there might be some truth in each Religion, whether that be a lot or very little. However, I'm all for Science - even from a (hypothetical) Religious viewpoint, I don't think it's possible to deny that Science has a lot of hard, logical evidence to back it up.

I'm an atheist, and a fairly strict one. And I believe a lot of the world would be better if religion wasn't around. It's caused more human suffering throughout history than any plague can account for. "Paths of life" like Buddhism make a lot more sense to me. They are looser and do not try and force anyone to accept every aspect of it. "Religions" have guidelines, guidelines that are often restrictive and even destructive. One day maybe each religion can be more harmonious with each other; but if anything I believe though the western world is backing away from religion, or at least embracing a more "open" thought, it is still not the case in the middle east.

I do think in the next hundred years science will have explanations for many of the so-called "unexplained" events of life that we shift onto something divine like God. Already many things that once seemed supernatural, like that woman who lifted the car off her baby years ago, have scientific evidence that is not "supernatural." Instead of pursuing and obsessing even at times over what happens when we die, I wish people would LIVE a little.

Sato-Chan

Sato-Chan

True Light

Lol, many of you will be shocked when I'm saying I support religion,^^
I just can't believe that the world should have formed after the big bang and suddenly there was wather there... and then, there grows something...it seems to ridiculous to me.
So... i think the image of God creating the world like written in the Bible ist much nicer than that...huh?

Satoshi & Daisuke 4 ever!
Kyu~

Quote by Sato-ChanLol, many of you will be shocked when I'm saying I support religion,^^
I just can't believe that the world should have formed after the big bang and suddenly there was wather there... and then, there grows something...it seems to ridiculous to me.
So... i think the image of God creating the world like written in the Bible ist much nicer than that...huh?

I agree, it's hard to believe. In the same way, though, is believing in a book that features talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky and people walking on water not?
The big bang theory is the most scientifically plausible, logical theory that's been researched to date. The recent Hadron Collider test only served to make such a theory seem even more likely. If you want to believe in magic, then yeah, Christianity makes sense, too - but that, in my opinion, is where it falls flat on it's face.

Kildarke

?????

Quote by JadeFireI'm an atheist, and a fairly strict one. And I believe a lot of the world would be better if religion wasn't around. It's caused more human suffering throughout history than any plague can account for. "Paths of life" like Buddhism make a lot more sense to me. They are looser and do not try and force anyone to accept every aspect of it. "Religions" have guidelines, guidelines that are often restrictive and even destructive. One day maybe each religion can be more harmonious with each other; but if anything I believe though the western world is backing away from religion, or at least embracing a more "open" thought, it is still not the case in the middle east.

I do think in the next hundred years science will have explanations for many of the so-called "unexplained" events of life that we shift onto something divine like God. Already many things that once seemed supernatural, like that woman who lifted the car off her baby years ago, have scientific evidence that is not "supernatural." Instead of pursuing and obsessing even at times over what happens when we die, I wish people would LIVE a little.

Sorry to quote but I stand agreed with u except the only thing is that I'm not an atheist as well as regarding the guidelines issue I gotta disagree.

Each have their own guidelines which is true & this makes each unique from one another, but in common they serve only one purpose;
To be chivalrous, honorable & truthful in your own life & spreading this love for others to others at the same time.
We, humans are community based beings & this fact cannot lie no matter how hermit one can be, he/she will still interact with another at any instance.

Nevertheless it can also be used as an idealistic weapon in terms of psychological well-being as it can harness the power of the masses with just one word; jihad for the Muslims or the Crusades which was exercised by the Christians against them in real life histories.
Or even there are other religions which does weird practices; eg splashing of virgin's urine or black dog's blood in order to ward off evil spirits & sorts, these to which I believe are things which are practiced to gain trust in which what the preacher does is holy in an aspect.
In English would be buying trust.

Of course there are stuffs which we cannot explained in words or proofs using the 5 senses but that is just nature.
You need to experience this to understand what I really mean.
Lastly you need to look at how small the universe is then you will find how big we humans actually are.

My sincere apologies if I offended any religion or science in the process of this post.

springheeljack

springheeljack

The Return

I think you can be religious and still believe in science i don't think you cant have one without of another
and about the whole religion causing bloodshed thing i don't believe it i think religion was certainly used as a tool to get people behind a certain ruler but most of the wars fought were about conquest and gaining wealth

You may bury my body in a supermarket aisle
Bury my body in the fresh meat aisle
You may bury my body in a supermarket aisle
And I will rise again like an exocet missile Signature Image

Quote by JadeFireI'm an atheist, and a fairly strict one. And I believe a lot of the world would be better if religion wasn't around. It's caused more human suffering throughout history than any plague can account for. "Paths of life" like Buddhism make a lot more sense to me. They are looser and do not try and force anyone to accept every aspect of it. "Religions" have guidelines, guidelines that are often restrictive and even destructive. One day maybe each religion can be more harmonious with each other; but if anything I believe though the western world is backing away from religion, or at least embracing a more "open" thought, it is still not the case in the middle east.

Can't agree more. *highfive*

Quote: Instead of pursuing and obsessing even at times over what happens when we die, I wish people would LIVE a little.

I'll be using this quote elsewhere from now on, if you don't mind. You're exactly right.

I incline for science...

page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next » 197 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.