Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Religion or Science: Which side are you on? - Minitokyo

Religion or Science: Which side are you on?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 4 of 9 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next » 197 total items

Science and religion should be kept strictly separated. I have nothing against religion, only against people who try to prove god exists with the most ridiculous evidence or say "god did it" whenever they come across something which is a little bit difficult to understand. There is an unwritten rule in science that some kind of supreme being is simply not a valid explanation (unless it'll come down and introduce itself), as soon as a divine power is invoked you are no longer practicing science, you have passed into the area of mysticism instead.

And about there being a lot of things which science can't explain: the only thing I know of is how the big bang came to happen in the first place. The fact that some things seem unlikely to ever happen is because most people don't fully comprehend vastness of the universe and the endlessness of deep time. Life doesn't seem as unlikely anymore if you look at image of the Hubble deep field and realize that all those star systems contain thousands of stars with plenty of planets surrounding them. I really like the way Eugenie C. Scott gives an impression of deep time in one of her texts:

"A second is a short period of time. Sixty seconds make up a minute, and sixty minutes make up an hour. There are therefore 3600 seconds in an hour, 86,400 in a day, 604,800 in a week and 31,536,000 in a year. But to count to a billion seconds at the rate of one a second, you would have to count night and day for 31 years and eight months. The age of the earth is 4.5 billion years, not seconds."

The time the earth has been around is so enormous that life (to me) no longer seems unlikely, but almost inevitable.

I'm not a complete athe

i think god doesn't create the world

the netural create the world

This is my deviantart
Signature Image

As others have said, religion and science shouldn't be compared.They are too different, although they sometimes touch the same subject.
Most people support science because it has solid evidence that it works and I am one of those people.Religion should just be kept as a tradition for those who want it.

Hey, starter of thread, I'm Catholic too! I believe more or less the same exact thing. I believe in evolution and geology and all that.

The way I think of it, God spent tons of time on creating the Earth and us because He wanted to. Like, for example. I'm an artist. I COULD take a picture of my friend, frame it, and give it to her. OR, I could take that picture, and create a painting. That would have much more meaning to my friend than a simple photograph.

So, yes. I believe in both.

Science, i think there's a place for fate but not reglion

Yukino1111

Yukino1111

Temptations Are Dreams Within

I agree with plattnat. I believe in Science.

"my mother once told me, if your a warrior you can fight, if your bird you are fierce, if you are youself you are worthy"

i'm on the side of reason!

well i dont see why they cant go together
people think they are polar but personally i think they can work together
after all, people dont believe in religion on absolutely no basis of logical foundation
dat'd be wat they'd call blind faith

? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ? ????? ?? ?????

I stand between them

Science~ Need the proof :D

i'm more on the side of science, but i still take into consideration religion for its principles and morals

I think that picking a side is foolish. You can have a strong belief in science and still be a religious person.

There is no way to prove that a higher power exists, nor is there a way to disprove it. Whether or not you have faith in the fact that there is a higher power and an afterlife is where faith comes in. You can still believe in science, you can still believe the universe and even ourselves can be explained scientifically, that doesn't mean there still can't be a divine being behind it.

It is all based on faith. Saying "science or religion" actually doesn't make much sense because it is a difference between faith and fact.

Quote by momomilkxScience~ Need the proof :D

+ 1 :p

im in the middle really

im in between both

hayashi-oni

hayashi-oni

Baboon General of Yokohama

maybe both I side with Philosphy !

Among the true cultural displays of this century.
Funny Man

risingcrescent

risingcrescent

Essential&Naturality Heaven Form

actually,they are pair.not enemy.Science is for advancement in physical live and Religion is for values and meaning of life..

Edward De Bono reflection,
Human minds are Dull , because most rational minds that sharpest ARE NOT HUMAN MINDS, that're Animal minds.

I think the problem is between Organised Religion and Faith. I think Faith and Science together can have a strong relationship, but Organised Religion puts so much restraint on pushing forward. Science and Technology aren't evil or against religious beliefs, its how they use it. I suppose its all about fanatics rather than believers

I dont belive in religions, but in the possible thing I do not say anything of this. In other opportunities I joke of this one. My family don

I am a member of Sakura group, TSubasa group and Touhou group

"Science has no room for belief of magic, right?"

Not exactly... there's no evidence for magic. Science deals with things in the natural world, and therefore, if something akin to 'magic' was discovered, it would likely have a natural, scientific explanation and therefore would not be 'supernatural.' Take... take lightning and rainbows for example. Before science had advanced far enough to show the natural causes/explanations for these phenomena, they were considered to be supernatural. But they aren't.

For me, science and religion both cannot be believed absolutely. Though some astrophysics reports and observations including CMB and others have proved the Big Bang theory may be right, I cannot accept the Big Bang because the theory is not perfect and has too much problems to solve. In fact many other theories should be correcting always. So the scientific research should be continued and I wait for truth.
You think science cannot describe the world well so the god will tell you all. However, if science cannot explain the world's principles and regulations, can the religion do? The gods may tell us how to be a kind one but never tell us why we live in such a world. And how can you prove that when you go to the heaven the god will tell you all the truths?

risingcrescent

risingcrescent

Essential&Naturality Heaven Form

Religion and science is like two side of coin. one presence in physical world,anorher side/inner side exist in spiritual world..

Edward De Bono reflection,
Human minds are Dull , because most rational minds that sharpest ARE NOT HUMAN MINDS, that're Animal minds.

Science and Religion comes together as a set. If u study religion properly, it will relate to science. If u make a research, u will find that researchers and scienctist actually make their theory based on religion. U are stupid to think tat science is more important than religion. Science is present while religion is the future. There must be a balance between the two

medorico

medorico

Existing is not living

I believe that there is a God and He is infinitely more powerful and beautiful than anything human beings can hope to fathom. I believe that there's a reason we were granted free will, the evidence of His presence is all around us and some choose to see and accept it for what it is, and others prefer to think that there is a logical and scientific explanation. Science was given to us to allow us to help ourselves and over time we have grown to be a better informed and advancing race; but on the other side of that we have chosen to ignore Him. It surprises me that people believe that there are angels and demons out there, that when a dying person sees the "white light", they are going to cross over but refuse to believe that God is our Creator and our lives were designed for His purpose. We so easily blame God for all the bad things in our lives and refuse to acknowledge Him when things do go our way without fully accepting that like all things granted, free will was simultaneously the best gift and the worst curse that was granted to us and we ourselves in our choices choose what path we follow.

Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear; clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress.............
Bruce Barton

page 4 of 9 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next » 197 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.