Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 ADV Flims gone? - Minitokyo

ADV Flims gone?

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

I read about ADV films going under but I didn't beleave it till I sent to their website and nothing was there. Now I guess that makes FUNimation the big anime licensing compony in the US Right now? I hope they don't butcher the animes they get like they did with kiddy grade and other animes

anti-spammers | photoshop-lovers

What happened (and this was late last year), was that A. D. Vision, Inc, shut down the ADV Films business unit, selling off its assets to several other companies. However, the details are a bit murky, as many of the new companies were founded shortly before the sale, comprise mostly of former ADV staff, and all are owned by parent company A. D. Vision or former ADV execs. And yes, I have already seen new licenses under the new labels (You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle, Yozakura Quartet), so they're still going to be bringing new stuff, just under different names.

As I've understood it, they're basically rebranding under a new company and label, so the ADV label is dead, but the operation and everything related to it will continue. And yes, Funimation is now the big kahuna. Viz and Bandai are the only other major labels that are still around: Geneon went under the end of 2007, CPM bellied up in mid-2009, and ADV split and sold in late-2009. Well, AnimEigo is still around, but, IIRC, the only thing they've done in the past 12 years or so is rerelease titles they already had on DVD.

Wraith

Scanner

Wraith

No Longer A Contributor

That would explain why I am having trouble getting a few titles by ADV. It's been over a month now and I'm still waiting. Might be I'll never get them or I'll have to wait until the new companies re-release if they ever do.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

that's because to keep ADV from going under they merged with funimation or that was the story I heard, funi has always been the largest licensing then they just got bigger. I found an older story on animenewsnetwork that might be of some help to explain more http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2009-09-01/what-happening-with-adv-films adv will be missed that's for sure but I guess things come and go sort of thing :/

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Wraith

Scanner

Wraith

No Longer A Contributor

I checked that link out angel ... it was interesting. Also, the DVD's I ordered were shipped today, I just got a notification so there is at least what I ordered available even if it took a long time to be shipped :) Have to be careful what I order from now on and check to see whats happening in the anime world ...

Quote by angelxxuanthat's because to keep ADV from going under they merged with funimation or that was the story I heard, funi has always been the largest licensing then they just got bigger. I found an older story on animenewsnetwork that might be of some help to explain more http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2009-09-01/what-happening-with-adv-films adv will be missed that's for sure but I guess things come and go sort of thing :/

The story of ADV and Funi merging was just wild (extremely wild) speculation after Funimation gained a significant number of former ADV titles. What happened is that Funi bought up most of what ADV lost due to the ARM Corp venture mentioned in the article. That's the only hand it has in this.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to New Releases & Licensing | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.