Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Removal of Den of Despair - Minitokyo

Removal of Den of Despair

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

Astara,

The scan you have submitted (Welcome to our Den of Despair) was removed for one or more of the following reasons:

- The image was too small. Only scans with a clear subject of 1,000,000 pixels or more are accepted.
- The scan contains excessive artifacts. This includes, but is not limited to: page folds, dust, or text on the image.
- The image was enlarged. The majority of anime images found on the internet are not sufficient quality to be submitted at Minitokyo, please do not attempt to enlarge these images for submission.
---------

The above image was scanned in at 720dpi from a squarish ~12"x12" original. This resulted in a 8806x8490 image. So I know it wasn't too small. It didn't contain artifacts -- I went through nearly all of the character space to hand color over it to revive the detail. And the image was the original scanned size.

So I know the above 'canned' response is not valid...

So what's the scoop?

A*a

---
As much as I hate deletes with no valid reasons, but use of LAZY "canned" reasons, I hate more admins who delete and run!
Like they might not expect there'd be a question about such a deletion? So they can't have some answer prepared for some "reasonable"** response timeframe?

**non-subjective nature of "reasonable" is noted -- coming from self who more or less lives online, so my one day might be = to other's 2-3, but that's beside the point, I'd thought I'd underscore my desire to get an answer, as I have multiple followups to that answer, but I don't want to post those until I've heard the answer or answers that I'm guessing might be coming -- but I don't like being presumptuous, lest it ends up being offensive and they could have meant something completely different.

However, in the current circumstance, if the other side isn't talking, do I talk for them? Can I speak for them? :-) I can be reasonable! Maybe I better not and say I didn't. Ah, sigh...

impatiently tapping fingers....*whistling*....<short glare>....*innocent look*....
[repeat]....:-)

MadoshiKurefu

Retired Moderator, Scanner

MadoshiKurefu

DESTIEL

Nobody deletes and run here. *lol* You know I've told you that the quality didn't look good if you overfilter a scan so much. Like I said it loses too many details and it looks too even if you use the filters you have used to make them like anime cels. You've told me that you want the scan to look like that. A little bit is acceptable like you did with your other scans but this scan looks just bad. I puked when I fullviewed it but still wanted to hear the opinion of kayurachan and she deleted it because she agreed with me. What I don't understand is why you make the scan ugly if you can just scan it and upload it the way it is. A lot of members use filters on their scans but not as much as you did with this one. You said "I went through nearly all of the character space to hand color over it to revive the detail" but that's the problem here. First you don't need to hand color the scans and second it doesn't revive the details but make them worst. Honestly. It's not that you can't scan because you have in your gallery scans with a really good quality like this one:
Kagome Flipping Hair under InuYasha's Happy Eye. It's that you ruin your scans yourself with the filters. Just upload them without adding so much filter. You think the scan looks good if it looks like an anime cel but it doesn't.

Roses are red / Dean’s blood too / On his knees begging / “Please, this isn’t you” (SUPERNATURAL)

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

I can put the the more raw one in the scan gallery, but I'd like to put this one in the art gallery then -- since people who've seen the two images -- at *screen* size (up to 2560x1600) have thought that the one you pulled *looks* alot more attractive -- but beauty is in the eye of the beholder -- I annoyed with the *image* on that one because it doesn't show Naraku's better sides an makes him a very one-dimensional, stereotypical bad guy. He had so many dimensions -- remember he was the Handsome Prince -- or at least that's who's body he'd taken over at the beginning of the 1st series. The prince who's dad hired the demon slayers to kill the spider demon, where kohaku killed them. The prince killed the father when he saw he was possessed by the spider demon -- but it wasn't clear if the prince had already been possessed by the same demon that we come to know as Naraku.

So the dark and dingeyness of the scan really didn't do alot to show off why Naraku was so successful at deceiving people. He REALLY gets made over toward the last episode -- like a stylized Egyptian diety before he gets picked apart by Sesshie's new contaminating disintegrator blade (that infects flesh to decay and defeats Naraku's regen power -- and spreads infection to any other Naraku flesh it touches -- forcing a cascade disintegration of Naraku's grand body in the 3rd to last episode (last episode airs next week, on Monday, March 29th in Japan and on Hulu. On Hulu you can watch the whole last season 'the Final Act' to catch up if you're into that. IF you were, you'd understand what I meant by my version looking more true to form.

If you haven't watched that -- you can complain about technical aspect of scanning, but if you remember InuYasha (my last viewing of the original series was less than a year ago) and especially if you see the new 'final act', I think you'd better appreciate the the newer version I put out.

As far as this scan looking more cell -- inuyasha was *simple* cell animation. It wasn't Clamp.

Most of the scenes use no gradients -- simple smooth, bilevel colors. IT IS smooth -- the only reason it isn't smooth is the grain of the printing -- not the drawing!

You are wanting to add grain where there was none in the original -- much of it was done on computer where there was no grain!

I don't know why you want fake grain added to scans -- because most of it isn't from the original drawings -- and from Inuyashsa of it is -- the original artwork is all simple tones -- from the _anime_ -- the manga has drawing features, obviously. But these cans are of the stylized form of the anime not the manga.

But anyway -- most of the ones I did earlier like the one you liked were ones that had more detail on their own and weren't simiple cell work that had been blown up for the calendars. The 'square' format calendar work has a large number of them are that are blown up *cell* work from the anime -- so they should look like cell to be authentic. They SHOULDN'T all look the same -- because the pictures themselves didn't come from the same sources. This particular 'year' of the calendar -- a squarish format had no original artwork in it -- it was all reshapings of previous -- cut and resizing's of others or blow-ups of cells.

Are you saying all of them should be made to have 'grain' even when the sources didn't?

I can actutally give more than the option(s) I gave -- I made sure to download the one that was there before (if it isn't around). I can upload a higher res version of that with color correcting -- but it still looks boring. But, (and uploading the 2nd, larger isn't conditional on acceptance, but I'd like to throw the hand-colored version in the inde-gallery as a re-color of the original -- that way people could look at and or use either.

But don't get stuck in thinking they should all look alike when some were blow-ups of anime cell stills. As you have pointed out -- I'm certainly not getting stuck on one style -- this was not something I would do for most or many -- it took three weeks of hand tuning and I still felt I could keep "tweaking"...but it was driving me crazy.

Just understand -- the ones that look really good with less tweaking were done as higher res source art for the calendars -- but that just wasn't the case for this 2006 US calendar (for many or most of them).

MadoshiKurefu

Retired Moderator, Scanner

MadoshiKurefu

DESTIEL

All your explanation about Naraku and the 1st season and IY The Final Act has nothing to do with the scan. I watch Inuyasha but even if I didn't I can tell which scan looks good and which one doesn't. About the images having grain: I don't say that all scans must look the same and that they must have grains. Of course I prefer smooth scans without grain but if the scan looks so bad like your "Den of Despair" scan than I prefer the less filtered version which might have a little bit grain on it. And I also understand that the quality of the images differ so that some scans look better and some not. And if it's already smooth nobody tells you to add grain to it. I just gave you an example of a well scanned image to compare.
And you can't upload a scan even if you have filtered it so much or did something else to the scan in the art gallery. There you can only upload images you have drawn yourself. Vectored or with a pencil or whatever. So the version you like and that we don't like shouldn't be uploaded. It's not allowed in the indy art section and I'll delete it if you upload the same scan without rescanning to the scan gallery again.

Roses are red / Dean’s blood too / On his knees begging / “Please, this isn’t you” (SUPERNATURAL)

kayurachan

Retired Moderator

kayurachan

Mado&Fen are my Gods.

Ok I knew you just had to complain about that deletion. But you'd complain even if I explained it with 'overfiltered' or just 'bad filtering' too so come on >_>
I had a lot of scans to check, Madoshi is busy and there's NOT just your single Inuyasha scan to check. So I'm sorry, but I didn't have the time to explain my deletion. And I just can't give additional reasons on every scan I delete: it just doesn't make sense and I don't have the time. And that's why we have this forum.
Into technical matters. That scan of yours was simply awful. I tried resizing it at 50% and you still could see weird manipulations here and there.
I agree with Madoshi, you can scan and edit in a nice way, but just don't overdo it. Please remember we allow scans with screening too: this means you could just scan your stuff, balance color or other parameters, then submit it. Just use filters if you can do it in a nice way or else it'd be deleted.
Hope this helps but please, just don't go dramatic over a scan.
Just re-scan it and show us what you can do.

Signature
!Death to J-Rock scans! >.<
What is Kayurachan doing? Just see it on my userpage :3
Sheq says: XD one sec, eating an egg XP

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

You may think mine was not to your liking. But I think if you compare it to the one that it was based on posed http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/452125, at 100%, I at least, find my earlier post to be a significant improvement. But this is the undecorated post with minor clean up -- I tried to adjust the color to be more acceptable the raw scan is even worse.

You don't realize that at this resolution, tracing over the characters is consistent with how DVD-and TV quality anime's are being upscaled to Blue-ray quality. I have some and side by side, they did what I did (though perhaps a more expert job -- they retrace over the lines of the characters to make them sharper). Note -- there are no gradiants that I removed -- only an unevenness of color caused by the printing process -- not something there in the original drawing. But calendars on card stock are not a great medium for color reproduction.

I hope this satisfies you. I'm much happier having my name on my prior work than this.

And as for it not belong int he art section. I disagree.

If the protest is that I completely redrew it -- then I did draw it. So it is a drawing done by me -- just like others use scans as their background -- I redid all of the work of the characters to get them looking good -- by hand - not using vectors -- but by a hand tracing -- painting.

How is that not artistic if it does not qualify as a scan?

Why not allow both in separate galleries and let people comment as they will, though mine was meant as a scan enhancement -- not as indy art, but its apparently more that than scan.

Just a request to save something that looks better in some people's eyes if not yours....but who knows, maybe you'll see the real scan and agree, or not...

me melodramatic? Nah...I just forgot how bad this scan looked unadorned.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to Deletion Appeals | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.