Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 THEwaller: issue no. 3 // + Meme-ology - Minitokyo

THEwaller: issue no. 3 // + Meme-ology

Group announcement by Vector-Wallers

page 1 of 1 9 total items

vitaamin

vitaamin

DUKE 2010 NCAA CHAMPS!

http://www.myrrhlynn.net/distantdestiny/Projects/VW/images/3.jpg

Letter from the Editor // Vehicles of Expression
written by vitaamin

March marked a deliberate attempt to publicize THEwaller beyond Vector-Wallers and carve our own niche within the larger walling community. Our modest presence still has room to grow, so I hope to bring more voices to this ambitious project. While last month's issue focused on technique, the April issue takes a broader look at developing stylistic endeavors. We start with a feature written by senior... »Read More.

Features // Beyond Technique
Jay examines four qualities that transform walls from mere technical pursuits into works of art.
written by sjade1

As wallers, we all strive to perfect our technique: the quality of vectoring, application of textures and the ever important brushwork. But what if there were something more to consider, something beyond technique? Rather than focusing on technique and aesthetics, I've found that walls can hold far more value when you throw in a little bit of dialogue, symbolism, and story. The most difficult challenge... »Read More.

Inspirationisms // Journal // Old School Comics Revamped
Reinterpret anime and manga scans by drawing inspirations from Western graphic novels.
written by vitaamin

I came across this Persona 3 Scan that immediately struck me as a modern interpretation of 1970-1980's graphic novels--think Watchmen or other DC Comics. The stark black lineart coupled with an almost retro-vibe color scheme creates a sense of grunge even within its clean edges. Yet, the piece is updated with more brilliant, bolder colors that are characteristic of more modern design sentiments.... »Read More.

Waller Exposé // Your Recommended Dose of vitaamin
asa delves into the inner-workings of vitaamin's psyche to expose the mind behind countless walls and THEwaller
written by asa00

Need I go through all the normal formalities to introduce our editor-in-chief? Her boundless affection for Katekyo Hitman Reborn's pretty boys, her remarkable outspokenness on all matters, and her beautiful gallery of colorful goodness -- these are things one quickly learns about Vitaamin. So what goes on "behind the scenes"? That is what I set out to learn. Inspiration. "Without that initial... »Read More.

Features // Color Me Wonderful
Nysha brings her experience as a traditional artist for a closer look on expression through color.
written by Nysha

As an artist, color is fundamental to expressing your vision and evoking what you feel in others who view your work. By creating harmony between the colors throughout your piece, you can communicate different moods and forms of expression. Although color combinations are relative and subjective, wise color choices will ultimately give a sense of depth, draw the viewer’s attention to important areas,... »Read More.

Take Two // The Coca-Cola Side of Life
Aqi muses on the instinctive and impetuous process that created her most famous wall.
written by aqiaqua

I can safely say that this is probably one of the best walls I have ever done in my 5 years of walling. The conceptual strength and love I put into making it place this piece in a special part of my heart. While that might sound damn corny, walling is a way for me to express what I can’t in words. Being a part of Generation Y, I wanted to convey the whole partying, fun, care-free side of our mindset,... »Read More.

Announcements
Meme-ology -- Tell your stories.

Shining Artist | March 2010
Congratulate Tina18 as our newest Shining Artist.
Hear me by Tina18
Hear me by Tina18
»Read More

Meme-ology
This month we are going to do the meme's in this thread :D

http://THEwaller.vitaa-designs.net/images/3/memes/logo.jpg
A Griot is a West African poet who recorded his tribe's stories through oral tradition. As wallers, we have immense amounts of unexpressed creative energy that we pour into any pursuit we can find. Thus this month, you shall put your story-telling skills to the test by attaching a story(or stories) to your wall(s). It can be in any form: poetry, narrative, excerpts etc. Take as much vertical space as you need to include your passages..

Rules
(1) Image must be 1200px wide and no more than 1500px high.
(2) Meme will be resized to 615px wide to post in the archives as preview format.
(3) Must include the above logo somewhere in your meme. It should be big enough as to be legible in the preview format.
(4) Must write your name in the logo.
(5) Must label your WIPs and somehow credit the original series/mangaka.
(6) Submit to the Issue Thread. These are the only memes that will be uploaded to the archives. If you are at AP, you may PM your submission to vitaamin. Please post them in your journal :D.

http://THEwaller.vitaa-designs.net/images/3/memes/vitaamin_.jpg

Signature Image
vector-wallers tag-licious

Nysha

Nysha

Eye Candy Maker!

YES! It's out RAWR. 8d I think the sig images need to be updated too. (Gahh that's annoying mt makes you do it manually >.>)

Signature Image

moutonzare

moutonzare

Inkscape Addict

I read it and it's really nice as always but I have few advices, mind them or not it's up to you :3

-Please, don't assume people use Photoshop; "Adjustment layers ? Wait, I'm using Gimp then it's useless for me." It puts "noise" in the explanation and can confuse people.
-Be a little less wordy. Using Art oriented language is fine but it can get pretty complicated to understand what you mean and giving wikipedia link doesn't do the trick. It's better if you define the word yourself extensively if possible while positioning it in the current context.
-the Meme-ology section is nice but it's kind of complicated. To explain my point, I will take my own experience of it. The first was about wip. It was simple and nice but if you don't have a lot of nice and somewhat advanced wip then you can't really do it. The second was about the wallpapers we had done, same as before it's nice and simple but I don't have that much of nice wallpapers to begin with so I gave up on it. The current one requires to be more than mildly good in English and to have story-telling skills. I'm not an English-speaking native and my story-telling skills are so-so thus I might skip this one too. I think you have to choose the theme of the meme-ology more carefully so that it can fit to most somehow (well, it might just be me who is a difficult case). I understand it's kind of hard to find a "fit-most-people" theme each month but I think it's worth the extra effort :3

On another note, in the article written by Nysha in the "Simulating Depth" section she refers to A, B & C which aren't labeled on the attached image. It's kind of obvious to guess which one is one but it can be a problem for some and it's better to make things tidy ;3

That's all guys, a nice issue. While I'm eagerly anticipating the next month issue I will try to apply the advices provided in this one (at least those who make sense for me.) Keep up the good work ^^

Nysha

Nysha

Eye Candy Maker!

Quote by moutonzare-Please, don't assume people use Photoshop; "Adjustment layers ? Wait, I'm using Gimp then it's useless for me." It puts "noise" in the explanation and can confuse people.

These are only the easiest suggestions; you are not obligated to use them even if you do have photoshop. However those that don't use them or have them in their software will have to do much more manual work to get the same results.

Quote: -Be a little less wordy. Using Art oriented language is fine but it can get pretty complicated to understand what you mean and giving wikipedia link doesn't do the trick. It's better if you define the word yourself extensively if possible while positioning it in the current context.

That would actually make it more wordy. We do have space/word count constraints.

Quote: -the Meme-ology section is nice but it's kind of complicated.

For this month's yea I kinda also agree. Though vitaa comes up with the ideas. If you could provide ideas for future memes that would be most welcome. :D

Quote: On another note, in the article written by Nysha in the "Simulating Depth" section she refers to A, B & C which aren't labeled on the attached image. It's kind of obvious to guess which one is one but it can be a problem for some and it's better to make things tidy ;3

The images I made were originally blank with no text or borders. Vitaa does all the extra stuff, so it can vary on the style of the image and it's not inconceivable that she can miss a few details. However there were some images in past articles that were not labeled like this either.

Also, if there are places you don't understand, there is the option to comment on each article for clarification. :)
Thanks for the input.

Signature Image

vitaamin

vitaamin

DUKE 2010 NCAA CHAMPS!

@moutonzare: i've corrected the image
i try my best to get memes that alot of people can do. there are simpler memes like showing scans you like but i think those are kind of boring tbh... and i try to pick things that are relatively self-contained, so no "showcase your favorite walls/wallers of all time". really though the meme is meant to be challenging, though i will eventually be forced to sprinkle some just for fun ones in the mix
again if you have suggestions i would love to hear them :D

as for "simpler" language, everyone has their own styles and when editing i try to make sure that the language is as precise as possible. unfortunately maybe because of my college education i'll use more complex structures, but i try to cut down on the redundancy as much as i can without destroying the original writer's intent. i also would rather link since we dont have time or space sometimes to explain things fully that really should get their own article. sometimes its a editorial decision to delay the explanation to a later issue :3. again, the more specific you can be, esp commenting on the articles where you think something can be improved, the better we can do for next time

Signature Image
vector-wallers tag-licious

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Meme idea: evolution of an artist. Choose 5 or 6 walls (or whatever arbitrary number you want), one has to be from when you first started walling, and one has to be your most recent one. Put them in order of date, and see how you've improved (or gotten lazier XD)

RanMouri

Scanner

RanMouri

So I hope this right. I remembered on my 18th birthday as I looked on my last wall.
I thought it is a good idea for this issue.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/338/memo3.th.jpg

chrisp

chrisp

~You gotta love me~

I actually didn't intend to participate, but it happens that i wrote a story today, and thought about sharing. I hope it's ok >_> kinda emo...lol
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3729/chrisp2.th.jpg

Signature
chamber-of-kingskatekyo-hitman-rebornvectoryvector-wallerstag-liciousretro-studiomy-maiden

wrote this back when the weather sucked and finally assembled it with the wall. :9 the text stuff in the wall itself made for a pretty emo starting point lawl~ i went by what i remember of what happened. and think of it as yoite talking(?) to miharu. (errrrrr it's all too vague to be a spoiler, right?) haven't written anything remotely poetic in two years so...just playing with syllables (sorta) here. it goes down all the way then onto the next column. on a second read through: well, i tried.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7518/twm201004thb.jpg

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.