Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Tales of a Hero - Minitokyo

Tales of a Hero

Tagged under Tales of Symphonia

page 1 of 1 4 total items

cloudykun

cloudykun

Cloud Guardian

Just curious as to why it got deleted. I worked very hard on that image...
If it's for something completely reasonable, I'll easily go down without a fight, I'm just not too happy with it suddenly being gone, and I don't wish to pry or fight and tantrum. Thanks.

-Cloudykun

merged: 05-25-2010 ~ 12:19pm
I'd like to add this in reply to the pm I got on the topic of my picture. This is my reply.

"I don't wish to argue. But the reasons listed above did not accurately depict the image that I had created.

-Simplistic is a very relative area to argue. I worked hard to make sure the different aspects (Such as the map of Sylvarant being included in the bending lines around Lloyd) all held a diversity but good color scheme to them.
-The lining around Lloyd is only slightly blurry, all of his features can be seen fine as well as the replica behind him also helped him stand out.
-I find the fact that I cut Lloyd out of a shot that was not a screen, shot, but found a stock photo that people wouldn't complain about me stealing their art is actually a good thing. I took Lloyd out of the original art pieces he was in and made him fit into the customized background and art that I made.
-I think the fact that this wallpaper was one of my first does not decide my effort at all, and it's one of my personal favorites, so, effort is not for you to decide.
-There is no previous wallpaper of this pictures. This is the only one that I have ever seen of it because I'm the only person that made it. How could it be an alternate?
-Lloyd being upfront, or the larger him in the background both on several degrees count as "anime".

I find that your arguments don't follow the actual details of the picture, I'm sorry, but I did work hard on this. It may not be the same as the Final Fantasy image I made, but that's because it's two different styles of art.

-Cloudykun."

Don't forget, I'll be the one biting you to death.

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Hi Cloudykun,

The moderator who deleted your wallpaper should give you a better idea.

I think you are writing your responses in response to the generic automated list. Do you still have the deletion PM? If so, was there a message at the bottom? Generally we leave a message letting you know why it was deleted. The list is a guideline - we could delete your work because of one criteria in the list, or perhaps more than one - this does not mean that your wallpaper was deleted for all the reasons listed.

From what I can see from downloading your wallpaper, this is why I think it was deleted:

I'd have to argue though, the outlines of the scan are not just slightly blurry - they are very blurry. It's apparent that you've used the blur tool or something similar to get the outlines smooth because I'm assuming you had some jagged lines from extraction. The general quality of the scan isn't high either - I don't know if it's because the scan is stretched slightly out of proportion or if it was because you lowered the opacity (or bumped up the lightness) of the scan, but I can see jpeg artifacts (the dappled bits of discolouration in the red on the jacket in the smaller scan on the left). This wallpaper also arguably uses ghosting (which is in the list to avoid in the policy). Your brushwork is generally alright, but there are some bits that are out of place like the big brush you used to draw those curved lines in red and black, and how a drop shadow is applied to these other sharp curvey bits I assume you cut out of something.

We never judge a wallpaper on whether or not it's your first wallpaper, nor do we judge it based on whether or not it's your personal favourite. We purely judge it on quality, so I hope you don't take that list too literally.

I hope that helps!

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

cloudykun

cloudykun

Cloud Guardian

Hmm, I guess I see your point. I wouldn't have noticed that myself if it wasn't pointed out, and I guess that it would make a bit more sense why. Though, my only thought is, if people liked it, it would be at least nice if I could get the constructive criticism, or even having people say that they liked it or disliked it. The same just happened with another file that I had uploaded from the World Ends with You. The Game Start image. It wasn't one of my first ones, I don't fully understand the reason that one's gone too. In any case, thanks for your sharing with me thus far, if you happen to have any ideas on Game Start, that would also be appreciated, but I'm in no way asking or pursuing that you step out of your way to take a look. Thanks for the help so far.

-Cloudykun

Don't forget, I'll be the one biting you to death.

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Hi again,

I've looked at the Game Start one - it seems to have similar problems - the swirly lines have an outer glow or outline (I'm assuming you had the same difficulty as the Tales of a Hero wallpaper with getting the edges clean). The scan of the character is a lot better in this wallpaper than the Hero one (outlines aren't blurred for one), but there's still that outer glow and around the hair spikes the outlining isn't consistent or clean (there are bits of black bits from the original scan). If I lean close to the screen I can also see the jpeg artifacts on the scan that haven't been cleaned. Some of the lines on the inside of the clothing also are a bit pixellated. The text in the top right is a bit out of place in terms of the quality/ style of image and personally I think if you really wanted to keep it, it should be more legible and better in the lower right corner rather than the top right.

I think this wallpaper has less issues than your Hero wallpaper, and it's a big improvement. The composition doesn't have any major concerns, I think it's just a matter of creating backgrounds that don't require a whole lot of extracting.

The reason why we delete the items first and then give feedback is because we have the Sandbox forum for members to post their work in first before posting it in the gallery.

But general notes on directions:

(1) Grab a great extraction tutorial so that you can get the outlines sharp and crisp. I'm assuming you're using Photoshop; you can go to this page HERE and scroll down to tutorials. There are 4 JPEG files that I've created and are fairly easy to follow (a bit of intuition is required), but after getting the hang of it I'm sure you can extract and even vectorise images - so you won't ever have a problem with scan quality.

(2) Vectorise your scans. This generally means to retrace over the scan (or background elements in your case). If you follow the tutorials you should get great edges and no problems. It will be time consuming on the other hand. You should do this in particular to scans where the lines look broken or incomplete. This is also a great way to extend a great scan but an elbow is cut off or something.

(3) If you don't want to vectorise your scans, remember to clean them. Never enlarge your scans - you can make them smaller, and when you do so remember to hold onto the shift key to keep it in proportion. To clean a scan you duplicate your extracted scan layer, zoom in and using a smudge tool, very carefully blend in solid blocks of colour. That's one way, but it takes patience and might not be good once you zoom out since you forget the larger picture. I think there's a tutorial on the web > duplicate layer, median the dupe layer by about 5px and then setting the layer to SCREEN or something like that. It's just a matter of playing around with it and seeing what works.

(4) Ask yourself if the background is the best one to include with the scan. You've got all the colours right so far, but there are many more options than cutting out swirls.

(5) I suggest you download as many brush packs as you want from the web. This is let you have more brushes than the ones you're using at the moment. Photoshop has a few other ones - you just have to go into the palette, and append the other brush types they have. I find the ones you can download being much better.

Hopefully that gives you a few more tips - if you need constructive criticism, there are a load of wallers (including myself) you can ask and we're happy to help. Sometimes we just forget to write stuff down because we just forget lol. I hope that gives you some direction first- as soon as you get the pen tool under your belt, you're well and truly under way.

PS: Don't forget to browse the elite/ highlighted galleries - it's important to keep your work original, but it's also important to look at examples. It's in no way asking you to achieve that standard, but to just look at maybe the techniques and variety other people do in their wallpapers. It will give you an idea of what to aim for/ avoid, as well as perhaps inspire you to challenge yourself out of your comfort zone. Plus we also have the Sandbox forum ;)

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to Deletion Appeals | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.