Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Work from Pixiv no longer allowed - Minitokyo

Work from Pixiv no longer allowed

Tagged under Pixiv

This thread is pinned.

page 4 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 112 total items

ah well regarding this matter, I'm pretty sure most vocaloids pictures will be deleted cuz most of their image sources are from pixiv...
but I guess it's what's best for the original artist to protect their works.

Shugotenshi-Alice

Broken Rag-Doll

well since they are not scans I understand why they are remove, I mean it's other ppl work and that work is not of the ppl here at MT, if they were just featured then I understand the rage (that meaning they are only there for wallpaper usage or something)

anyway, MT and Pixiv came to this decision so it's something to argue about.. but feel free to rage (rawrrrrr!)

Happy to see everything's going well. Thanks for the reminder!

NOooo!
I think this is something that will keep haunting me for weeks ): now I wont be able to find huge photos to cut renders from :\ especially that there's no English.. this is too bad to happen now ):

samapuma

samapuma

The Kawaii Nekochan!!

I had wondered if the artwork from there would be allowed. I though, decided against it, since it was like dA. I'm a member of both dA and Pixiv as well. I absolutely love the artwork there. I hope to soon make some original wallpapers here as well.

Miyah!!

odaime

odaime

Yandere Insider

well.. i think there is no clue if mt and pixiv have a conflict, right? but pixiv members have a lot of amazing and adorable fanart!

Happy to see that corporate morons remain the same everywhere.

I will, of course, be able to download this content elsewhere. Possibly not at the quality posted here, but such is life.

Quote by DiomaFinally.

Why do you say 'scans'? Those images were not scanned :s

You make a logical point, though some could've been able to scan there own pictures.

merged: 06-06-2010 ~ 05:59pm

Quote by fireflywishesFor those of you who may be unaware, there has been an on-going debate about whether artwork from the Pixiv website should be allowed on Minitokyo. Earlier this week, Minitokyo and Pixiv reached an agreement to remove all non-published Pixiv art from Minitokyo. Please understand that this was a joint agreement made by the Staff of both sites and will not be reversed.

+So, what does this mean for YOU?+

Well, besides a loss of some amazing "scans", nothing else. For uploaders, this means a massive purge of almost all Pixiv artwork from the gallery.

Wallers, take note that this will not only affect the scan gallery, but wallpapers featuring Pixiv artwork will be deleted as well.

Members, it would be greatly appreciated if you could help us by reporting any Pixiv artwork we may have missed. There is a lot of Pixiv artwork that was tagged incorrectly that is still floating around the galleries.

Thanks again for understanding!

!Edit:

Quote by kayurachan
On a side note, I'd like to add we decided to allow only scanned material in "Scans" gallery. Official wallpapers (be it for games, or animes) and Game CG rips (Visual Novel rips are allowed too) will still be allowed.
It will take some time until we'll purge everything, and we could make some mistakes too. Staff will highly appreciate if you would report Pixiv content (with original Pixiv link, if possible) and, of course, mistaken deletions.
Thank you MTers :)

Quote by MapleRose
Regarding wallpapers with pixiv art, you can only post it if you have the original artist's permission to use their art in your wallpaper. Please note that if you don't get an answer from the artist, it's equivalent of a "no"!

If you have obtained their permission, it's common courtesy to credit the original artist in your signature, and please say so in the description (with a link to the original art that you've used)

(Posted at the request of Sheqel)

What's the point of uploading if we can't use official pictures?

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

good move, as it is, Pixiv art is on danbooru anyway, and if you don't already have a pixiv account, you should be ashamed.

what best to support an artist than to go to their favorite art posting community versus bringing in their art without their permission to here?

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

MapleRose

Retired Moderator

MapleRose

likes rainbows :D

Quote by eaglesfanWhat's the point of uploading if we can't use official pictures?

What do you mean? You are allowed to upload scans of official pictures. By that I mean any published work (magazines, artbooks, manga, DVD covers, pencil boards, posters etc) that someone has scanned. We're saying here that you're not allowed to post images taken from Pixiv.

Such a shame

Wow there is a lot going on.

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

Well, lots of good wallpapers will be gone, and some of them were even better than the original fanarts, makes me a little sad :/

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

I have a largely philosophical question regarding this decision. It's a bit nerdy of me, but I like understanding people's ideas about digital distribution. It's a very new form of 'publishing' and 'ownership' and ties into several other concepts that are in flux anyhow, like 'copyright' and 'public domain' and 'fair use' and even 'politeness'.

Quote: On a side note, I'd like to add we decided to allow only scanned material in "Scans" gallery. Official wallpapers (be it for games, or animes) and Game CG rips (Visual Novel rips are allowed too) will still be allowed.
It will take some time until we'll purge everything, and we could make some mistakes too. Staff will highly appreciate if you would report Pixiv content (with original Pixiv link, if possible) and, of course, mistaken deletions.
Thank you MTers :)

I read this to mean: fanart that is distributed electronically is not allowed, but fanart that is distributed in a print format and then scanned is acceptable. If I'm interpreting this incorrectly, please disregard the following ~

Why is a preference given to fanart that has been distributed in a print format? Either way it's still unofficial fanart.

Does publishing it in a print format somehow give it a quasi-official standing? If so, wouldn't it be enough to say "prints of this image are (or were) available, but I don't happen to have a copy to scan in, so here's the digital version". Or even "I have a print version of this, but no scanner, so here's the digital version."

Is it a quality issue? If so, it seems that if an image starts out electronic, is printed out (with potential printing errors), scanned in (with a whole host of potential scanning issues, from screening to bent pages to creases to dust to scratches on the source, etc, etc) and then redistributed electronically, the end result can be a much poorer representation of the original work than a version distributed solely in an electronic version. If the color's all messed up and there's screening and a gap or crease in the middle and maybe a big "scanned by so-and-so" watermark on it, how is that better?

Is it some sort of ownership issue? IE, if I buy something I'm then free to scan a copy of it. If so, how does that translate it into being free to distribute it to others who are then free to make and distribute wallpapers from it?

--runs away and hides in over-analyzing nerd corner--

Incidentally, this, and a number of other changes to this site over the past year, represent an "ivory tower" problem for this site. Certain views get floated to the top of opinion via active users -> active users get into positions of power -> policies are made -> those with differing views have no real way to counter them and leave -> no one is around to argue. It looks like everyone agrees, and it becomes a perpetuating cycle, while Quantcast tells me visits here have dropped off greatly in the wake of when I first noticed these changes (the first being a poorly implemented tag system).

While I sometimes check in here to see what's changed, I almost never visit anymore, never tag anything, etc. If I want to find images, I go to a better organized site, like Danbooru (or Safebooru, or any of such variants). I'm not attempting to argue anyone out of anything, as I realize that's fruitless -- it's how the "ivory tower" problem works. But you might want to consider, with a broader view on other topics, the untapped audience you may be driving away with any decision. It's like a specialty shop that keeps narrowing its focus, and justifying it because everyone that comes in the door is happy. Notice the bit about "everyone that comes in the door". You generally don't hear from the dissatisfied customers, they just don't come back.

esmerga

Imperfect and Real

i'm ok with anything but scans.

Signature

I look for a new world.
I want to meet you, but I can't.

I tremble wearing them but..
..these awakened wings won't fade away.

animeronin

animeronin

Wandering Enthusiast

Ah, so the hunt for the "unofficial scans" continues here at Minitokyo. Good thing, though. Too much clutter to weave around, while looking for very good scans. =)

It's not easy growing old, much less growing up...

While I agree pixtures from pixiv don't belong here it makes me sad to see the wallpapers go, too.
What bothers me more, though... I've been around here lurking in the shadows for a loooong time already, some couple of years if I recall correctly. And once upon a time, there was a minitokyo where only your own scans and work was allowed. Isn't that -precisely- what you're trying to go back to, now? I say the whole "not my scan" thing is to blame.
Remove that damned category, hunt down those that repost other people's scans/wallpapers/fanart and there we go.
And minitokyo will live happily ever after. Or something.

kayurachan

Retired Moderator

kayurachan

Mado&Fen are my Gods.

@joylyn: our choice to keep scanned material and 'ban' digital fanarts has a lot of meanings, but has nothing to do with copyright, at least for me personally. It will basically make gallery moderation easier and 'award' members self-scanning their material.
Anyway I'd like to say for me scanning a magazine/artbook/dvd cover/manga cover is copyright infringiment, way more than posting a Pixiv (unauthorized) fanart.

Signature
!Death to J-Rock scans! >.<
What is Kayurachan doing? Just see it on my userpage :3
Sheq says: XD one sec, eating an egg XP

it's so sad... But I consider that they have on this just cause, as authors of works.

Steffi1690

Moderator, Scanner

Steffi1690

~Living in my Dreamworld~

From where do I know that it's a Pixiv art? Where can I see it?
I really do not know... -_-

the2ndpandora

the2ndpandora

BlackHeart

In some website you can see this line "Source: img**.pixiv.net/img/..." or "Source: http://www.pixiv.net/member...."
If you see that lines , the image is from pivix

And I can give you a tip : "dont summit a scan if you don't know where it come " because i had found a lot of Pixiv image in many website and they don't write it come from pixiv T_T.

Signature Image

Well, I think anyone can use pixiv thanks to some great people, who made a translation. Just use Mozilla Firefox, install an extension called "Greamonkey" and google "pixiv plus translation userscript", install it and there you have it. It's not a big deal.

Steffi1690

Moderator, Scanner

Steffi1690

~Living in my Dreamworld~

Okay thanks you two for the explanation! ^-^

page 4 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 112 total items

Back to News | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.