Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Custom Built Computers, your thoughts? - Minitokyo

Custom Built Computers, your thoughts?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

LonelyAmure

LonelyAmure

???? Friendship & Love

Lately on my mind has there been something that has just been bothering me. A new computer... one that actually has more than 1.7gHz and 1 gb memory like my clunky laptop does.

Technology has spiked since the last 3 years. Especially in computers. Whereas 4 to 6 years ago, nobody ever had a laptop because it was too slow, and internet was still quite not as popular by a long run. Now, almost everyone uses their laptop to go to a local hotspot, or if it's work, they bring their laptops to school and use them to do projects. I have a laptop, and I was saving up for an ASUS G60JX(ASUS G60JX-RBBX05 @ $899.99) that I could buy off of Best Buy for particularily good reasons. I love ASUS. ^.^ But when I heard again about the wonders of desktop, I thought once again, I want to get one. So I might be converting...

Anyway, to the consensus. I'm sure many of you know about people that have built their very own desktop computers. From what I know, it's possible to save a lot of money doing this, as there's no attachments on warranty or financing, and also the fact that you're doing most of the handiwork yourself. Which is only around 3 hours work of toiling with cables and what not and installing drivers and loading up your OS. Ever since Cy Bliz has mentioned it, it has been sneaking into my mind. I'm starting to think about going back to the desktop land, but I'm thinking about building my own. This is particularily what setup I want.

Micro ATX form factor, i7, used for multimedia, gaming, and everyday use. I chose Micro ATX because of the portable functionality of it, being considerably shorter than your typical mid or full length tower. I'm even considering going to the cafe or library with this full fledged setup ^^'

Major brands are ASUS, Antec, Corsair, Nvidia, Western Digital, and Pioneer. I was thinking of Sony, but they don't make custom parts. (Lol maybe you could bolt on a PS3 xDDDD)

Anyway, here we go.

BTW Casing specs can be found at the website where you can find the Antec mini P180. Certain things to keep out for me:

Configurable to accomodate graphics cards with full length PCBs (meaning my EVGA Nvidia Graphics card will fit! YAY!)
Cooling Method:Air
Included Fans:1 x 120mm, 1 x 200mm
Additional Fans Possible:2 x 120mm Fan (front chamber)

HDD (Hard Disk Drive):$89.99 (Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS)
Processor:$259.99 (Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8 MB LGA1366 CPU BX80601920)
RAM (Random Access Memory):$179.99 (Corsair Dominator 6 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz Triple Channel Core i7 DDR3 CAS 8 Memory Kit CMP6GX3M3A1600C8)
PSU (Power Supply Unit):$69.99 (Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550-Watt VX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Core i7 and Core i5)
Graphics Card (also called video card):$199.99 (EVGA GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896mb DDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card 896-p3-1255-ar - Lifetime Warranty)
Motherboard+Sound Card:$209.99 (ASUS Rampage II GENE LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard)
Wireless PCI Card:$44.99 (D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter)
Blu-ray & CD/DVD +/-rw Disk Drive:$139.99 (LG WH10LS30K 10x Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - OEM) (Looking for something ATM)
Monitor: $179.99 (Samsung P2250 22-Inch Widescreen Touch of Color LCD Monitor - Rose Black)
Casing:$62.54 (Antec Mini P180 (Black)) And I'm lucky I found it for that price, ^^' I pray it doesn't sell out~ Comes with free tricool fans too but they're not great, so replacing.
Keyboard:$29.99 (Logitech Wireless Keyboard K250 (Dark Fleur))
Mouse:$26.95 (Logitech Wireless Mouse M305 (Dark Fleur))
Webcam:$39.99 (Logitech C250 0.3 M Effective Pixels USB 2.0 WebCam)
Speakers:$16.52 (Logitech LS11 2.0 Stereo Speaker System)
USB Hub (I'm sorry, 2 USB ports won't cut it):$19.99 (Targus 4-Port USB 2.0 Ultra Mini Hub PA055U (Black))
Headset:$39.99 (Logitech 981-000176 G330 Gaming Headset)

archangel12345 posted on my GB that the Antec tricool fans that come free with the Antec Mini P180 case are not going to cut it for what I'm looking for. True, true, I checked the reviews, it doesn't cut for the temperatures. Antec Mini P180 specs state that there's space for 3 120mm fans and space for 1 200mm fan. Which is kinda awesome because I'm looking for a high head reduction so I can do a slight overclock. Here's what I propose.

120mm Fan 1:Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - (R4-L2R-20AC-GP) ($7.13)
120mm Fan 2:Cooler Master 120mm Red LED Case Fan - (R4-L2R-20CR-GP) ($9.38)
120mm Fan 3:Cooler Master 120mm Green LED Case Fan - (R4-L2R-20CG-GP) ($8.96)
200mm Fan:Cooler Master R4-LUS-07AB-GP MegaFlow 200mm LED Case Fan (Blue) ($18.18)

Now, I've checked the specs of this, and they all work. I'm pretty confident that the PCI cards for the Graphics and Wireless will fit in, but I will do some organizing with the cords. I like the setup, but it is DEFINITELY going to take a lot of time to amass the money. Which equals I'm probably going to get a job, and within around 12 weeks I might be able to get this whole sweet baby and have the most FUN building this baby for 3-4 hours!

Calculated... All these parts, amassed from the plain prices excluding shipping and handling yet... amount up to:

$1804.52 USD... AYYYY yi yi... that's still a LOT >..<''

I've also noted that archangel12345 has posted that the monitor I'm purchasing might not be ideal for watching anime or gaming, but I have yet to find a replacement, simply because it doesn't fit into my budget/price range X_X I'm sure 24" widescreen is definitely great, but as it is, I'm looking for a monitor that can easily be moved/portable, larger than 19", widescreen is preferred, and the pixels won't die. It'd be great if you find this at less than $250 dollars ^.^''

I found a monitor! I really like what I chose, actually. It looks really, really, REALLY good for the price I'm getting. *nod nod* Updated. I'm now, really really really sure I'm going with this setup. Unless there might be an inconsistency.

Cy Bliz has told me he's got a PSU that clocks higher voltage than 750w, I'm only doing slight overclocking, and considering this PC is a micro ATX form factor, I'm actually not too sure if I need a PSU that can handle more voltage. I'm still confident, however, that 750w will be enough, since it IS, a pretty popular item in the mid tower cases.

archangel12345, is intel really going to change their socket again? I'm not so sure about it now that you said so. I'm kind of looking at the news right now just to check. That, and looking for a new monitor. Maybe I should have joined a tech site xDDDD then I could see what they think about this.

EDIT: Put a ton of new things in. Thanks for the comments you guys! Keep it up =)
EDIT 2: Power Supply needs a real reduction, lol, it's only mATX, and also, another thing, I'm taking out the Bluray burner drive to replace with a Bluray combo drive...

Meanwhile, I would love to hear some thoughts on what you think of Custom Desktops. Do you think it's tough? Do you think it's worth the time? Have you ever built a Custom Desktop before? What are the best brands in your opinion? Are there problems in my Micro ATX setup? (I'd love to hear something) Do you prefer Intel or AMD for your processor? Liquid Cooling or Air Cooling? Do you think that it saves money? If it does, does it save a lot of money? Just tell me what you think.

( ^_^)o??o(^_^ )Cheers~ my favorite|Twitter|Facebook|Windows Live|Minitokyo|My Wordpress!|USE Tineye-kun!
"The greatest treasures are those invisible to the eye but found by the heart."

Quote: LonelyAmure ????(@uggubs)??@kilacco??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

TiffYG2133

TiffYG2133

• WINNER •

My computer is a custom built one, but I couldn't really give you the specs and stuff because my brother built it for me. It cost me around $2100.00 but I think it is worth it! My computer is way faster than my sisters which is a brand new HP & mine is 2 years old & my memory seems infinite. The biggest bonus is that is it upgradable for just about everything, unlike some factory computers, and I was able to make it the way I wanted it! I'd say go for it's worth the cost!

Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

I say get a Calculator from Wal-Mart and give it some Steroids!

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

LonelyAmure

LonelyAmure

???? Friendship & Love

Ah, that's exactly what I was hoping for =) Yup, I agree on that point. Whereas you have a factory computer, there's warranty on it, but it voids when you tinker with the insides, and also not to mention it's easy to upgrade a custom computer after you've learned how to do the insides of it and install all the drivers and sorts =)

I see you couldn't provide the specs but that is alright ^^' and also, personally for me, I have a thing against HP and Gateway computers, I just don't like them xD

$2100 is a lot... My setup's going to cost me around $1800, $300 price difference, but yeah ^^ I definitely love the idea of building my own computer because how much better it is and the money you save for the performance =D

Thanks for your comment, tiffy! =)

( ^_^)o??o(^_^ )Cheers~ my favorite|Twitter|Facebook|Windows Live|Minitokyo|My Wordpress!|USE Tineye-kun!

Quote: LonelyAmure ????(@uggubs)??@kilacco??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Princess09

Princess09

Pls. be my Friend

My loptop cost 40,000pesos or 860.65 dollars

Like the rain can't be stopped from falling, God's love keep on pouring, I hope you woke up renewed and refreshed and comfort of his comppany

LonelyAmure

LonelyAmure

???? Friendship & Love

Quote by UberDogI say get a Calculator from Wal-Mart and give it some Steroids!

Lol, I'm sure it will die out by then :)

evelluchia

evelluchia

Lu-Lu the friendship officer

well what i can say building a custom pc is the best way to go because you can deside what your pc has instead of chosing from preset options

you can have any opticle drive

any video card and pritty much any other hardware

from what ive delt with computers your configuration you have listed here sounds like a great system (most customisable is a desktop)

you need to read up on your hardware to make shour that its all compatable i ran into unsapported ram modules when i built my computer

(this is my opinyen)

best video cards (any card that has n Nvidia GPU)

best ram (kingston or OCZ)

best mobo (ASUS)

best procesors (well this is obvius its both AMD and intel)

best PSU (antec)

best opticle drives (LG , pioneer, lighton)

best hard drives (western digital or seagate)

best sound cards (Creative bound blaster (any) or realteck)

best wireless (TP-Link or Linksys)

best case (it alldepends on what system your building thirmaltake and antec makes good cases)

best os (windows 7 X64[64bit]) X86[32 bit] hasent got the same stability as for version it all depends on what you want to do on your pc ive got windows 7 Ultimate x64 and never had any issues

so you should so fine with what parts youve solected i hope everything works out for you

??????
Signature
become a member of minitokyos newest happy family HERE
join the group web site HERE

Yes, as evelluchia said, you can decide what parts you want in a custom made pc. I built my own pc about a month ago, or maybe a better word would be I upgraded my pc about a month ago.
I decided to change my motherboard, casing and processor. So I had to build it from a scratch. And that was fun my friend, building your own pc and installing windows (again) :D
So you're planning to use microATX.. I considered that also, but since I wasn't sure that my graphic card would fit in to microATX casing, I ended up having a normal ATX casing. The Casing itself weights about 12,1kg, whole pc nearly 15kg I think. It's a little heavy, but not too heavy :D

I've always used AMD processors so I upgraded it to AMD phenom II X4 945 3,0 GHz. Well, I guess intel's processors may be a little bit more powerful that AMD's, but AMD was cheaper xD
I also decided to put custom processor fan for my processor, just to keep it cool :D Antec had good ones if you ever consider.
Oh, and yes I'm using win7 professional (64bit), since I have a pretty complex network system. (I mean I have a router and dozen machines that use wireless network...)

Well, if buy what you have planned, you won't be asking more power to your pc anytime soon :D
So just make sure you have everything you need, 'cause it isn't funny if you forget something.

LilWashu

LilWashu

The greatest scientific genius!

I've been building my own desktop PCs since 2002, and so far, I've built four of them.

For my next build, I'm going with a Core i7 (socket 1366) build.

I also need to get a new laptop to replace my Dell Inspiron 9100 that I got in 2004.

well, i'm totally a DIYer.
lonelyamure, since u like anime so much, i don't think an ASUS monitor can meet your needs.
The panel used in MS238H is TN(Twisted Nematic), which has the worst color and contrast. Even with the help of LED backlight, it can only cover up to 70% of NTSC gamut (most, and most products can't make 70%).
My suggestion is DELL ultrasharp U2410(fullhd, 24inch, 450usd APPROX.) OR ultrasharp 2709 (FULLHD 27inch, 700usd APPROX.), it really offers better color, the NTSC gamut coverage is 75%+.
In my subjective sense, the picture shown on PVA and IPS panel is much more vivid than it is on TN. U can go over to shopping malls to check it out. seeing is believing.

To LilWashu, haven't u heard that Intel will change it's CPU socket again? LGA1366 will be changed into LGA 1356, they're not compatible. I think it's better to wait till next spring. check this link for more info. http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/pcw/docs/364/200/html/03.jpg.html

LonelyAmure

LonelyAmure

???? Friendship & Love

Quote by archangel12345well, i'm totally a DIYer.
lonelyamure, since u like anime so much, i don't think an ASUS monitor can meet your needs.
The panel used in MS238H is TN(Twisted Nematic), which has the worst color and contrast. Even with the help of LED backlight, it can only cover up to 70% of NTSC gamut (most, and most products can't make 70%).
My suggestion is DELL ultrasharp U2410(fullhd, 24inch, 450usd APPROX.) OR ultrasharp 2709 (FULLHD 27inch, 700usd APPROX.), it really offers better color, the NTSC gamut coverage is 75%+.
In my subjective sense, the picture shown on PVA and IPS panel is much more vivid than it is on TN. U can go over to shopping malls to check it out. seeing is believing.

To LilWashu, haven't u heard that Intel will change it's CPU socket again? LGA1366 will be changed into LGA 1356, they're not compatible. I think it's better to wait till next spring. check this link for more info. http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/pcw/docs/364/200/html/03.jpg.html

I'm thinking of getting a different monitor now that you say so, so I edited the description ^^' but $450 or $700 USD is just too much. Consider that I'm going portable with this thing, so I want a relatively small and easy to use monitor with a simple to use base which still can handle the high output coming out of the graphics card.

And I'm not too sure that intel will make a new socket 1356... I'm still sure that they're using LGA1366 as of right now. I just googled LGA 1356 socket but I'm not receiving anything. Most of these, I think, is just typos made by users on tech-sites xD I'll be honest with you about that. Thanks for your comment though! I definitely made some changes to my setup, and as of right now, looking for a new monitor.

And everyone, thanks for your comments xD thanks evell for recommending me some brands, and I've chose some of the ones I really like =) I trust this computer will def work if I make sure everything is correct, and pray that I don't get anything wrong xD I'm still very confident that this setup will work. Not to mention I have to put some other things in~

EDIT: And soon, I will have to look for the lowest prices -.-'' I need to cut down on some money weight. Definitely. I'd love it if someone would search the same things on TigerDirect to see if their prices are lower than Amazon. ^^'

well, about that monitor, you can still choose from DELL 2009WA(i'm using it, E-IPS panel,75% NTSC gamut , 1680x1050 200usd) or ST2310WA (PVA panel, FULLHD 200usd APPROX.)

LonelyAmure

LonelyAmure

???? Friendship & Love

Hmm... I'm going to have to take a look at them. I hope they're easy to carry around ^^'

BTW I have a thing against Dell for some reason. Their stuff is good... except that I own a dell laptop, it's held up a hell of a lot, but the only thing that pisses me off is that it broke in the bottom left corner of the frame. Which is really weird. I don't remember extensively abusing it, but how it happens is beyond my thought. I'm still preferring monitors by ASUS for some reason though. That, or LG and Samsung, which are both korean companies. Yay for South Korea! \(^^)_

EDIT: WOW, found a monitor that I FELL IN LOVE WITH... anyway, it is this monitor right here. Going to update thread now~

yeah?Samsung monitors are good! I still recommand you to examine them in actual stores.
i also recommand Samsung P2380, I compared between DELL2209WA and SUMSUNG P2380, the latter one has FULLHD definition, and a larger screen. While the color on 2209 is more accurate. (red color on P2380 is a little bit thick)
And you may use a software called "EIZO MONITOR TEST" to test the color and contrast of a certain monitor.

:x :X, my graphic card suddenly broke down yesterday, i don't know what my mom has done to them...

Anatnem

Anatnem

All hail Neko-Sama

Started using phillips monitor lately and must say its not doing too badly

Here's my current baby i have:

Asus AMD motherboard (cant remember the model but i know it supports AM3 cpu socket with crossfire)
4gb ram
gforce 512 - Still have to upgrade that part so ATi is the way too go XD
1tb hdd
24" Phillips screen with built in audio
AMD Phenom X2 Black Edition
and all the other la-di-da goodies

Ill forever stay an AMD fan due to i believe that Intel sucks. Dont ask me why cause the forum wont be able to handle the essay i have of "why not to buy and Intel " XD

Signature

LonelyAmure

LonelyAmure

???? Friendship & Love

Quote by archangel12345yeah?Samsung monitors are good! I still recommand you to examine them in actual stores.
i also recommand Samsung P2380, I compared between DELL2209WA and SUMSUNG P2380, the latter one has FULLHD definition, and a larger screen. While the color on 2209 is more accurate. (red color on P2380 is a little bit thick)
And you may use a software called "EIZO MONITOR TEST" to test the color and contrast of a certain monitor.

:x :X, my graphic card suddenly broke down yesterday, i don't know what my mom has done to them...

Ah... ^.^ Yeah, I heard Samsung monitors were good, so I checked out their premium line of monitor models, and I have to say I just fell in love with that model. P2380 definitely sounds like it's better than the P23 something something that I already put up in my thread, but hmm... if the price is good for what I'm getting I'll definitely tell you if I'm changing my mind. Today I'm going out to look for a job, which is going to be a tad tough. At least I'm getting somewhere you know ^_^'

That sucks, your graphics card broke down =( maybe it burnt out? Hmm... well, I hope you do get a replacement, or be able to fix it...

Quote by AnatnemStarted using phillips monitor lately and must say its not doing too badly

Here's my current baby i have:

Asus AMD motherboard (cant remember the model but i know it supports AM3 cpu socket with crossfire)
4gb ram
gforce 512 - Still have to upgrade that part so ATi is the way too go XD
1tb hdd
24" Phillips screen with built in audio
AMD Phenom X2 Black Edition
and all the other la-di-da goodies

Ill forever stay an AMD fan due to i believe that Intel sucks. Dont ask me why cause the forum wont be able to handle the essay i have of "why not to buy and Intel " XD

Nice, I like the fact that it's an ASUS motherboard. ASUS makes very good motherboards, and everything from them is almost craftsman quality ^.^
4gb is, I'll be honest, it's really good, but I'm aiming for double that, what I'm getting with those Corsair Dominator Modules =)
*gasp* switching to ATI, well... I heard ATI doesn't have some graphics bugs like Nvidia does, but I'm still an Nvidia fan ^x^' I don't know why, but like... I might try ATI if the EVGA graphics card doesn't work for me.
Same. Getting 1 tb HDD. I might get dual though, since the mATX could fit at least 5 drives in there. That is just handy in space, lol. Well you get what you pay for. ^.^ a pretty wide and compact Performance case.
Not a big fan of the Phillips brand =( I never really tried them out. I don't know what theirs are like but I don't plan on getting one anytime soon.

About AMD, yeah, their brand is good ^^' but I don't know... I guess sometimes intel sucks for some people, but I don't know. Core i7 with socket 1366 build into an ASUS Rampage II GENE still speaks to me like the earth attracted to the water. It just does. ^^' I don't know why. I guess there's reasons to why intel isn't too great, but I still like them =)

Anatnem

Anatnem

All hail Neko-Sama

lolz

all people have their own taste. I would never have bought a phillips monitor but the price was right at that stage. i thought "lets take a chance and see where it leads to. Not disappointed at all so far. As for the RAM.....now im jealous. I want CDM but they really not the cheapest puppies ya know. especially here in South Africa. We get raped on technology prices here.

ATi got my attention years ago due to the fact of my first gforce i had blew up taking my motherboard with it. never had those type of issues so far and before you ask...i do alot of 3D rendering and seems it just could not handle it. I rebuilt my pc at that time with an AMD 1.7Gh and never looked back. ahhh.....the good old days....

Signature

LonelyAmure

LonelyAmure

???? Friendship & Love

Quote by Anatnemlolz

all people have their own taste. I would never have bought a phillips monitor but the price was right at that stage. i thought "lets take a chance and see where it leads to. Not disappointed at all so far. As for the RAM.....now im jealous. I want CDM but they really not the cheapest puppies ya know. especially here in South Africa. We get raped on technology prices here.

ATi got my attention years ago due to the fact of my first gforce i had blew up taking my motherboard with it. never had those type of issues so far and before you ask...i do alot of 3D rendering and seems it just could not handle it. I rebuilt my pc at that time with an AMD 1.7Gh and never looked back. ahhh.....the good old days....

Oooh, forgot about that. =| that must suck, living in south africa. Isn't it dangerous there? I know I wouldn't ever go there for a vacation. And yes.... CDM's are quite pricey, but hey, for what you get, it all makes up for it. Trust me :) I'm really happy with what I'm getting. It's great to be in industrialized California, USA sometimes. We get some stuff that in other countries it would cost triple the amount to get. In Vietnam, I remember there was like... a double tax rate for importing cars? Oh well, that sucks for the communist countries. Yes, ^.^ It's good to have nifty prices on items~ considering everything nowadays has that rule about if it is outside of Northern America or what not.

Hmm.... well the old Geforce models, I remember, like the 8600 burnt out repeatedly, but nowadays Nvidia's getting better at quality producing those PCI video cards. I don't know, I still don't like... appeal to ATI that much ^^'

tsuyutsuki

tsuyutsuki

The comeback (?)

You see, I can't get a thing about computers... I can barely tell you how much memory my has... hope it's bigger than its owner's memory...

Avatar and Signature design by xxKurumi
Signature

woo. sorry LonelyAmure, i was busy yesterday so i didn't reply in time. I got several things that i need to talk about:
1.Besides that CPU cooling fan i talked about, a casing fan is necessary to cool the entire system down. But that brings another problem: noise. My ears are so sensitive to noise that i have to reduce the number of fans in my computer. Make sure you check technical details of the fan before u purchase it. If you want to control the temperature and the noise at the same time, you can use a Fan Speed Regulator to keep the fan speed down (actually it's a speed adjusting rheostat)
Personally i recommand that 200mm fan, it's noiseless and more powerful.
2.About your PSU, a 750watts output will surely satisfies the need of ur system. I did a little calculation on the power consumption of ur PC, without OC, a 350w PSU can suffice.
3.i don't think that socket-changing thing gonna affect your choice. An i7 920 can serve you for three or four years, after that u would want a new platform, instead upgrading your current platform, don't you think so? That news might be true, i read it not only on Internet , but on professional PC magazines as well.

4.If you need to IM with me, just add me as ur contact on MSN: soledad890317@163.com

LonelyAmure

LonelyAmure

???? Friendship & Love

Quote by archangel12345woo. sorry LonelyAmure, i was busy yesterday so i didn't reply in time. I got several things that i need to talk about:
1.Besides that CPU cooling fan i talked about, a casing fan is necessary to cool the entire system down. But that brings another problem: noise. My ears are so sensitive to noise that i have to reduce the number of fans in my computer. Make sure you check technical details of the fan before u purchase it. If you want to control the temperature and the noise at the same time, you can use a Fan Speed Regulator to keep the fan speed down (actually it's a speed adjusting rheostat)
Personally i recommand that 200mm fan, it's noiseless and more powerful.
2.About your PSU, a 750watts output will surely satisfies the need of ur system. I did a little calculation on the power consumption of ur PC, without OC, a 350w PSU can suffice.
3.i don't think that socket-changing thing gonna affect your choice. An i7 920 can serve you for three or four years, after that u would want a new platform, instead upgrading your current platform, don't you think so? That news might be true, i read it not only on Internet , but on professional PC magazines as well.

4.If you need to IM with me, just add me as ur contact on MSN: soledad890317@163.com

Ah, thank you for the reply, it's alright =) and yeah, I understand the problem about fan noise coming from the system, however, I know fans are still quite noisy, but the models I'm getting, I don't think they're going to be that noisy, I don't expect so. And even then, I usually put headphones on, so I might not be bothered that much. If it really does bother me, I'll keep the fans (because they look cool, no doubt) and I might be replacing it with a Liquid Cooling Reserve, but I refuse, and just refuse to spend that much money on a simple concept like cooling. I'm sure fans will do fine, even if I'm looking at a high performance computer right here and I don't want anything breaking down.
Yay! Thanks for checking the power supply ^.^
Ah, thanks for that =) Just had to make sure...

I heard that I'm spending way too much though, so I might be downgrading the system a bit

No more desktop computers since I bought my first notebook computer. Mobility and battery computing is priceless no matter the few disvantages notebook computers have and I live very well with them.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

Anatnem

Anatnem

All hail Neko-Sama

Oooh, forgot about that. =| that must suck, living in south africa. Isn't it dangerous there? I know I wouldn't ever go there for a vacation. And yes.... CDM's are quite pricey, but hey, for what you get, it all makes up for it. Trust me :) I'm really happy with what I'm getting. It's great to be in industrialized California, USA sometimes. We get some stuff that in other countries it would cost triple the amount to get. In Vietnam, I remember there was like... a double tax rate for importing cars? Oh well, that sucks for the communist countries. Yes, ^.^ It's good to have nifty prices on items~ considering everything nowadays has that rule about if it is outside of Northern America or what not.

Hmm.... well the old Geforce models, I remember, like the 8600 burnt out repeatedly, but nowadays Nvidia's getting better at quality producing those PCI video cards. I don't know, I still don't like... appeal to ATI that much ^^'

Living in South Africa isnt as dangerous as people think....or im alot tougher than i think O.o
But anyhow...im still sticking to my ATI's.... love them too much to let them go

merged: 06-17-2010 ~ 03:10pm
crap....failed attempt to copy-paste :p

directed at Lonelyamure

Signature

The whole system is way overpriced and most of the parts you got are not necessary.

1. Intel has 2 versions of the i7: 1366 & 1156, the 1156 uses dual channel memory instead of triple and by this you can save quite some money and the 1156's i7 are a lot cheaper. Plus its turbo mode is far superior than 1366's. On the bad news, Intel has released a new 6 series chipset, which will house on a newer socket 1155 (Sandy Bridge)
Speaking of processors, they also have a hexa-core which is the i7 980x and it cost 1K a pop, AMD has its own version of the hexa-core fore 1/4 of what Intel's cost.
The AMD Phenom II X6 (6core) Black Edition cost less than $300
Intel also has them "K" edition that also features unlock multipliers.

2. Intel official CPU support for RAM never passes DDR3 1333MHz even for their top end Extreme Edition model, If more money can be save here, go with DDR3 1333 as 1600 is higher headroom for overclocking.

3. Gaming boards for gimmicks as they are targeted towards enthusiast and overclocker where majority of the time it will be on a testbed with LN2 and so forth thus the doo dads such as onboard power switch, voltage probe, and so forth. These things are handy, but if your board is in a case (which is obviously most of the time), the features on them are pretty much useless.

4. Blu-ray isn't necessary if unless you really got the need for it. Them readers are like $65 dollars

5. Why bother getting a USB hub when the board already has plenty, in case if you don't see it, the ROG Gene is equipped with 6 on the back and it's got USB header to let you hook up additional ones as well. There are current boards that will come with USB 3.0 which transfer at 5Gb/s, that is much faster than your SATA 3Gb/s HDD.

Test shows that transfer a 1Gb in a USB 2.0 is around 45 seconds while in 3.0 it took a mere 11 seconds, but it depends on the drive and so forth. Asus sells them add-on cards that has 2x USB 3.0 and 2x SATA III ports for $30 bucks or so.

6. By saving on the other items you can now get yourself a beefier GPU such as the HD5800 series which brings DX11 and testellaton. Nvidia offers its own DX11 cards but imho its too expensive for their lineups $300 for a mid-range GTX465?!

7. WD black has offer a SATA III version of the drive and it cost a tad more than the SATA II.

8. For cases take a look at the Cooler Master HAF 922 which brings plenty of room and large fans to cool off your important components.
As for the LED fans, LED fans = rice...

BTW: Check out Portal 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tax4e4hBBZc

Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.