Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Custom Built Computers, your thoughts? - Minitokyo

Custom Built Computers, your thoughts?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 31 total items

gut

I don't have the computer knowledge to do it myself. I beleive a partially custom bulit PC is better than a complete custom one. Firstly, a full custom one that a lot of work of choosing, buying and installing. Secondly, I believe not all component have to me custom picked, some can come "straight from the factory".

Tenko-san

Tenko-san

The Destiny Warrior

My computer at the moment is custom built and its around 3 years old with a few minor upgrades along the way. Its mixed with cheap and decent price components and so far its still as good as when I first built it. When I built this computer I was going to use it for graphics design and multimedia and the occasional gaming - so it's really nothing special.

Here's the specs for my current computer -

Case: Coolermaster 690 II
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V8 Cooler
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
Motherboard: ASUS P5K SE series basic motherboard
Hard Drive: 2x 500gb SATA2 7200rpm
Memory: 4gb RAM
Graphics card: ATi Radeon HD 5700 series upgraded from a Nvidia 9800gx2 due to overheating problems.
PSU: Corsair 650w
Monitor: 22" Acer
Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1 surround sound
Webcam: Quickcam 7500
Drawing Tablet: BAMBOO Fun
Keyboard: Logitech Slim
Mouse: Logitech Wireless M215

I think that's all. Some of the components I can only remember either the brand or small specific details of it. I'm looking to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and Vista to Win7. I'm also in need of another monitor to run multiple Adobe programs such as Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks and etc.

Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8GHz... $279.99
G.Skill RipJaw 4gb (2x2GB) DDR3 1600... $109.99
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev.2...$39.98
Gigabyte HD5850...$309.99
Cooler Master HAF922...$89.99
Sony DVD-RW SATA...$19.99
Asus 24" 16:9 LCD monitor...$219.99
Logitech USB Classic Black keyboard...$14.99
Logitech G500 Laser gaming mouse (USB)...$59.99
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64...$139.99
Combo Deals:
Asus Maximum III Gene w/Asus U3S6... $169.99
WD 1TB Black w/Corsair 650w PSU...$164.98
Total: $1619.86

All other accessories, just get them from your local B&M shop, where you can save on S&H.

Signature

Cost efficient.

LonelyAmure

LonelyAmure

???? Friendship & Love

Ehh, I like your setups Tiki and Tenko ^^' Digging the ASUS motherboards you guys have in common, the sleek Logitech peripherals, definitely looks good for you guys

My parents were crazy when I told them the news about DIYing my own computer. They said that what I was spending was way too much money, and rather, I should be spending money on a laptop instead until I get out of dorm life, so that's what I stuck with. Before July, I'm going to have a $900 dollar laptop in my hand to play with xDDD

But I am still going to DIY after I get out of dorm life. Definitely. I really need some hi-def in my life. Some taste. ^^

( ^_^)o??o(^_^ )Cheers~ my favorite|Twitter|Facebook|Windows Live|Minitokyo|My Wordpress!|USE Tineye-kun!
"The greatest treasures are those invisible to the eye but found by the heart."

Quote: LonelyAmure ????(@uggubs)??@kilacco??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Tenko-san

Tenko-san

The Destiny Warrior

Just a bit more info, at the time when I built my computer it was around $1800 for the tower only that's without the extra hard drive, cpu cooler and the ATi graphics card. Mind you, I did buy those parts when they were considered new on the market so its a little more pricey. The most expensive part of my old setup was the 9800gx2 card which cost $700 at the time - which is the only regret I'm holding now. I was expecting that card to last a little longer for what I paid for. I've learnt a valuable lesson. The total for the entire computer would probably be around $2500.

The current setup posted above is still around $1800 going by the price of items 3 years ago and the upgrades I've done. Will cost a lot less to build nowadays and possibly no more than $1500 for the whole computer on today's prices.

@LonelyAmure - Thanks, LonelyAmure. This is my first DIY also and I'm glad its turned out decent and without many problems. Hopefully you can get your slice of hi-def into your life in the near future. Just remind your parents that your DIY project is a lot cheaper than the mid - high range computer selling at the computer stores these days. Plus, when building your own computer you can research the parts to how reliable they are and that can save a lot of money right there. Good luck. =)

LonelyAmure

LonelyAmure

???? Friendship & Love

@tenko-san Haha! Like I didn't do that already my friend ^.^ yes, if you read the umm... first post that I made, yeah, I've been doing a ton of research into the parts I'm getting. Reliability, performance, what not. I just pray that the prices for these parts will go down in price sooner or later enough. I'm a junior student in high school, so my parents are still a little touchy about what I should get. I really want all that in my setup, no joke. They think I'm crazy, but hey, I'm excited for what I'm going to get, and if 3 years from now they're selling even better parts for less, I might be scrapping this and doing this again, ^^;;

For me, I wouldn't spend that much on a graphics card O.o;; that's just way too much, but like, I want a graphics card good enough to handle Photoshop at a decent enough rate, and also I would have rather spent all the money making every part just good and reliable. I'm proud of the setup, again, but I'm still waiting, since again, my parents want me to live dorm life in university for 1 year until I get out and get my own residence where I can store a desktop. Heh~

And yes! These days manufacturers are STILL making those 'hi end computers' with bloatware and significant changes in the design of the casing so that people can't upgrade it easily. These days, real gamers and enthusiasts who want the most bang for their buck just build their own computer because for 1 you get to understand how much better it is to survive through it all, and even if you don't get warranty, it's easier to explore it yourself. And it saves money. Yesss ;D

( ^_^)o??o(^_^ )Cheers~ my favorite|Twitter|Facebook|Windows Live|Minitokyo|My Wordpress!|USE Tineye-kun!
"The greatest treasures are those invisible to the eye but found by the heart."

Quote: LonelyAmure ????(@uggubs)??@kilacco??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 31 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.