Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 My 2 Wallpapers -> Acceptable? - Minitokyo

My 2 Wallpapers -> Acceptable?

Tagged under Toradora!

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 12 total items

I'm new and I posted my first wallpaper on Minitokyo earlier (it was a Final Fantasy XIII one) but it was removed. I've only made three wallpapers (including the one that got removed) and they wall were made before my Minitokyo account; I'm also a newb at image editing so all my wallpapers aren't great.

Anyway I just wanted to know would these two wallpapers be acceptable on the Minitokyo website? If not, some tips please? I use a combination of two programs to make my wallpapers; they are: Paint.NET and GIMP.

I've reduced the resolution of the wallpapers by 50%. The original resolution is: 1280x800 (widescreen).

[Edit: Uploaded original resolution wallpapers (1280x800). Links will now direct you to the original resolution images]

[Wallpaper 1 Click]

[Wallpaper 2 Click]

Thanks.

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

The biggest problem I have right now is the reduced resolutions. By reducing them, it makes it more difficult to offer proper advice or suggestions.

A personal suggestion I offer everyone who is new to walling is this. Look through the gallery and ask yourself, "Is this good enough to be submitted". By doing this, you create a sort of internal quality control. Practice also makes perfect when it comes to anything and walling is no exception. While I've never submitted anything myself, I have been practicing on and off for the past four years in Photoshop.

If you wouldn't mind uploading the original resolutions to an image site and posting the links here, I'd be happy to offer proper feedback or suggestions.

Signature Image

Quote by CyanideBlizzardThe biggest problem I have right now is the reduced resolutions. By reducing them, it makes it more difficult to offer proper advice or suggestions.

A personal suggestion I offer everyone who is new to walling is this. Look through the gallery and ask yourself, "Is this good enough to be submitted". By doing this, you create a sort of internal quality control. Practice also makes perfect when it comes to anything and walling is no exception. While I've never submitted anything myself, I have been practicing on and off for the past four years in Photoshop.

If you wouldn't mind uploading the original resolutions to an image site and posting the links here, I'd be happy to offer proper feedback or suggestions.

Thanks for some of your advice!

I've uploaded the original resolutions. ^^

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Alright. While I'm not really much of an artist or a waller, I'll do my best to offer as much assistance as possible.

For the first wallpaper, I think you've got a really good idea behind it. I love the vibrant choice of colors and I think it's got some major potential there. However, while the character themselves are rather small, it looks like the scan quality of the image itself isn't that good. A recommendation I would offer in situations like this would be vectoring. Something like this does take work to learn and practice makes perfect, but there is an application out there called Inkspace that I know a few individuals use to vector with. Inkspace itself is free, so you don't have to worry about shelling out any money for it. I'm also not too sure about the background color as well. While, once again, I like the concept design behind it, I just think it's a bit of a contrast to the vibrant colors that both the rainbow-styled prism and umbrellas have.

As for the second wallpaper, the characters are definitely a better quality and I like the idea of the cherry tree with the blossoms as well. A good recommendation I can offer is perhaps a bit more highly quality of the tree itself. It looks incredibly blurred compared to everything else. Also, the right side of the wallpaper is rather empty as well. You wouldn't have to make it scenic, but as of right now it does feel rather bare.

While I know this may not be much advice, I certainly hope that I was able to help. If you've got any other questions, I'll do my best to help.

Signature Image

shavo002

I suport Cosplay

i like those wallpapers but the quality is really low in the characters vectors.

if you get that better, i would defenitly love them.

Roshi of the Funk. ('_'

By the way, here are the images I used to make my wallpapers:

Images/Screenshots used for [Wallpaper 1]:
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3

I captured these screenshots myself; these were the best quality images I could get at the time.

Images used for [Wallpaper 2]:
Image 1
Image 2
Screenshot 3

I actually cut out some bit from images and put them all together; edited them slightly.

@CyanideBlizzard

Thanks for the advice again.
I actually have Inkscape. I was going to teach myself how to use it but it confused me so I told myself: when I get more experience I'll try to vector again.

I see...I made the wallpaper suite my desktop (I have many short cuts on my desktop) so that's why I kept the top right bare; about the tree, that's how the original image was like (see Image 1 above)

Quote by shavo002i like those wallpapers but the quality is really low in the characters vectors.

if you get that better, i would defenitly love them.

:/ I see. I guess I need to teach myself how to vector to improve my images. <sigh> I'm busy with studying now so I haven't got much time...I'll get to it eventually. Thanks I'm glad you like them.

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Well, I have to be completely honest. Considering what you were working it, it's really amazing at how well it turned out. You've certainly got the patience and creativity to become a waller!

In the cases of those screenshots, that is when vectoring really comes in handy. You can take those screenshots and actually make them a better resolution and much better looking by vectoring.

In terms of the second wallpaper, however, using a pre-existing background from a wallpaper and putting it into your own isn't allowed. While I definitely give you major props for such creativity, something like that isn't acceptable.

I do have to agree, though, is if anytime you are working with screenshots, vectoring/re-cging is really the only way to go. Or at least the only way I know of.

Still, I'm incredibly impressed with your resourcefulness! I'm more than certain you've got a bright future ahead of you if you do choose to get into walling as a hobby.

Signature Image

@CyanideBlizzard

Well thanks! I thought showing you what images I used (considering all I did was render some images and put them all together and edit them slightly), might change your impression of my wallpaper skills (in a bad way) ^^'

I see, I guess I can't post both of the wallpapers onto Minitokyo.

I guess I'll comeback in a year or so and in the meantime I'll be improving my image editing skills; as well as vectoring. Hopefully I'll be back with some new wallpapers and these 2 wallpapers will be improved.

Thanks for your time and help. I'll be sure to keep in contact with you when I come back and ask you for more advice again (if you don't mind).

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

It's not a problem at all. I actually appreciate you being so honest about it and so detailed with what you showed me. The more someone says about what they did during the creation process, the better the advice will be. We've all got to start somewhere and I think doing what you did shows you're certainly willing to think outside the box and experiment.

While I know definitely that the second one couldn't be submitted, I'm sure with a bit of modification the first one can. However, I can tell that you'd rather not submit something until you know you did the best you could with it. That is a bit of an assumption on my end and I apologize if it's rude, but you strike me as that sort of person.

I'll be looking very forward to it! Toradora could always use more love, so I hope that all of us at Minitokyo will be able to see both of those entries submitted sometime in the future.

Not a problem at all. I should be thanking you for reading my long-winded posts. I'd be more than happy to help out, so feel free to message me any time!

Signature Image

i didnt get to see the links are broken DX

Links are broken :X

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

It's because the user took down the images on the the hosting site. I'd only assume so because the user feels that he/she has acquired the desired feedback and will go from there.

This topic can be closed.

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.