Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Comics vs Manga. Which is the most popular? - Minitokyo

Comics vs Manga. Which is the most popular?

Comics or Manga? The most popular is...

Comics, of course.
5 votes
Manga, obviously.
31 votes
I think both of them are popular.
19 votes
I can't decide for one.
2 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 105 total items

LadyCrosszeria

LadyCrosszeria

Crimson Butterfly

I hope I posted this in the right section o.o'.

Hello everyone~!
Ok, the other day I was talking with my boyfriend on the phone and, I don't remember how or why, we endep up discussing about the manga industry. He said that, in his opinion, comics were way more popular than manga, because there are movies, cartoons and other stuff about the superheroes from comics, he also said that there wasn't a single manga for which someone would be willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to get an original copy of it. He also said that manga wasn't really that popular outside the japanese population, like in USA and Mexico for example. Another point he mentioned was that the most popular heroes (Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc.) have around 6 different stories for each one of them, with a diffrent plot and characters.

Then I said that, in my opinion, manga was way more popular than comics are and this is because in Japan alone more than 75% of the population are manga readers, also the manga industry is huge, and every year they release hundreds of different new mangas. And let's not mention just how much money they make out of those mangas. Also, comics might have movies, but they aren't always popular and they don't make a movie for every single superheroe, on the other hand almost every manga out there has an anime version of it, plus it's not rare to see seiyuus recording characters songs or CD dramas, plus, there are also dramas or live action to those mangas that are really popular. So what if those superheroes have 6 different stories? Personally I'd get bored after reading 6 different stories of the same guy. On the other hand the manga industry offers thousands and thousands of different stories AND characters, yes, some of them might have the same topic, plot, story and resemblance between characters; but let's not forget that there are a lot of different genres for anime and manga. I also told him that manga might be only popular in Japan but that alone makes manga the winner, just how many people live in Japan and how many in USA or Mexico? If we compare the number of people that reads comics with the people who reads manga, then we all know that manga wins hands down.

After all that, we had to hang up since it was 3 in the morning ^^; But anyways, I want to know everyone's opinion on this topic.

"We don't have time to waste asking for the things we don't have. We can only look for the best way to fight with the things we have. For our whole life."

blackbutler-kuroshitsuji

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

let's start out the discussion that manga is from japan and is a comic book and comic books are well just that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_book but let's get passed that now. in truth, I know a lot of people that would pay for a comic book regardless where it comes from just because they are a fan of it. batman, dragonball z, etc it doesn't matter. fans collect things, and sometimes fans collect weird things but we're not venturing down that rabbit hole. but for every area, if the comic book is popular then there is going to be made something. cartoon (anime/animation) comes first and then sometimes a movie. like superman, batman, and so forth. in another comic book industry the same lines apply a cartoon is made first and then sometimes a movie. this is just my opinion from after seeing so much appear and disappear in my life.

p.s. I don't want to get into an argument over anime being short for animation for in japan it is as well as manga being a typical comic book just written in japanese and japan style drawing. I just know a bit about the japanese culture is all and mean no ill will towards anyone around here.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

THINGY

THINGY

Fighting Boredom

Manga, and not cause I'm too lazy to read all the panels with a whole mess of text found in comic books, mostly because the majority of Manga has a story and a destination *and Obama doesn't pop-up all of a sudden*..... but if we look at it as a whole, Japan is an Island Nation yet manga is becoming and is extremely popular, as for comic books~bleh~ *yes I'm being biased*

The thing is... although the types of happiness one can experience are limited, there are unlimited variations of misfortunes.
*Fooly Cooly*
Signature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Comic books seem popular is the west but I wonder how many Japanaese people read them. On the other hand manga is massivly popular all through the world. The other thing about comic books is A LOT of people who watch the movies or even kids watching the cartoon versions don't actually know or care that this came from a comic book. Is that REAL popularity? The same goes for famous characters - sure we all know who batman and super man but we don't all read the comics so is that real popularity?

Sure people don't pay hundreds(?!) of thausands of dollers for an original manga but manga fans or in no way less fanatical:
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/06/21/k-on-merchandising-madness/
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/08/21/otaku-celebrate-ritsus-birthday-2/ Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitsu <333

lam0o

lam0o

Filp,Switch And Haruhi?

manga=asian made/mature story/some shows are based of manga

comic=non-asian made/can be based a game

that all i have to say

Signature

for me..? Comics!

In Japan, manga wins. In the US or so, I'm not sure. All I know is that comics and manga are popular in the US, but I don't know which is more popular. There's a little (big?) war going on among comics and manga fans over there, or so I've heard. I know that comics over in the US largely still appeals to guys and is unfairly generalized as "superhero stuff", while manga has a wider audience because of shoujo and josei. Comics fans accuse manga of being weird and/or silly, and are biased about it because manga's so different from what they're used to, and don't see how diverse manga is ("the manga I tried is silly/weird/ridiculous/stupid, therefore all manga is silly/weird/ridiculous/stupid"). There are manga fans guilty of this as well, I'm afraid. There's more to comics than superheroes.

i say manga now

Manga of course!

A lot of people haven't heard of manga though.

I can't say for sure but I think nowadays, it is the era of manga.

Kool Guy

I think manga is more popular.

simply-5th-heirloom

simply-5th-heirloom

MT, welcome me 'cuz I'm BACK~

manga!manga!

itz kinda better than comics

thts cuz most of it r more

fun nd excitng... :DDD

it's been years . . . but MT's one and only Sim-chan IS BACK.

^^ Manga

O Manga
Com certeza
^^

Depends on what country you're talking about.
Comics are more popular in the US.
Thus, Manga is probably more popular in Japan.
But that obviously doesn't mean people in Japan don't read our Comics
and we certainly (in this community at least) prefer Manga ;D

both of them,,
they are awesome

kyosuke2

kyosuke2

Lazy People Gather All The World

in Japan / Asia, manga wins

in Us/ Europe, don't know..

the only fact I know, many comic book charas goes to box office movies, like Spiderman, Iron Man, Hulk, Daredevil.. but not many manga charas goes to box office movies..

I know everyone is lazy, but none would admit it. Needs big bravery to admit I am lazy, yet I would do it. Let's start a campaign of laziness, let's everyone just sleep enough everyday, without any moron jobs. Hell yeah, sleep is da best. It's lazy democracy, from lazy people, for lazy people, by lazy people, ya know!!!

in europe there are hardly any comics, i guess its US = Comics / Asia = Manga
i like manga more myself

MANDy

MANDy

So...hot...

I think both of them are popular.
Some people prefer to read manga, some, watch the anime.
And I prefer both of them, watch anime and read manga, I enjoy both.

I do not fear death, but I do fear of losing sight on what I believe in.
hetalia-axis-powers

Manga, in the year! All my friends read at least a manga, but only one read a comic!

*Sorry my bad English*

What kind of question is that? Of course it's manga ;D

Senseless101

Senseless101

Sense me

Need I say more? Of course its Manga... ;)

Manga of course XD

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 105 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.