Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What is your opinion about Religion? - Minitokyo

What is your opinion about Religion?

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 57 total items

Personally, I feel that religion is something that guides us in life.
Most religions teach us to be honest, filial, generous and so on. So I think it's telling us to be better and caring people :D

some people need it, some don't. wish in some ways no religions ever existed ~~>force people to rely and be responsible for themselves instead of easy answers. tis in SOME humans natures though to require or need something...omnipotent father figure, forgiver of injustice or righter of wrongs. religion isn't wouldn't be needed to understand right from wrong, or be responsible for ones own actions if humans used more common sense and less base emotions...thought before actions or words...and less selfish behavior in general.

understanding that actions have consequences and explore the consequences before performing the action. too often i see it used as a tool though, social and political to keep people all in line. 'if you don't think or believe as we do you are EVIL' etc. and at the other end 'oh poor doomed soul that he/she has no faith'. pressure, fear tactics, easy answers, surrender free will, conformity.

forced to go to church until i was 8...then made it clear that that stopped...especially after embarrassing parents and grandparents when i asked the priest some rather pointed (and i later learned) unanswerable questions. to me...even at 8 yrs old...it had more holes in it than swiss cheese. i've only met 3 people so far that have actually lived by their religion. everyone else paid lip service...they fit in with their community of like minded faithful...but that's as far as it goes.

they follow the rules, precepts, and guidance until it interferes with something they want to do...then excuses and rationalizations abound to justify actions outside of what their faith demands. even words supposedly inscribed by their gods are reinterpreted at their whim to justify actions. but woe betide you should the faithless question why they pay so little heed to their faith...

i am responsible for my own words and actions...no god(s) made me do it, sanction it, expect it of me or forgive me for it. that is my opinion...that people should be responsible, take responsibility for themselves. religion isn't necessary if humans would grow up.

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

I agree with hooyah and leonardobarba. Also, science changes all the time. Once upon a time we KNEW that the earth was flat, and that the universe revolved around us. Now we KNOW that evolution must be true? God's word, however, is always the same and offers explanations as to our creation to anyone willing to study it. And don't blame wars on religion; blame it on the people who twist religion to fit what they want.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

Quote by HooyaahVolumes have been written regarding this subject. I feel that I can hardly to do justice to this topic within the limits of this forum and the available time that I may dedicate to its discussion here.

I believe in God and I also have faith in Him and try to live by the words that He gave us as as a guide on how we should behave. The difficulty with religious sects, denominations, and the churches formed by man is that they are created by people, and are therefor imperfect and all too frequently governed by man's rules, and not properly by the Words and Laws of God. He is the one mankind should be mindful of and His words must not be twisted, supplemented, added to, and taken out of context. We should ask not what does the church say about a subject but instead what does God's word tell us. It is that simple, but we err in our need and belief that we are somehow more pious and pleasing to Him if we creatively embellish that which in essence is already perfect. If we seek in this life to serve ourselves we will end our lives empty. If, however, we seek instead to serve God (Yahuwah) by serving others we end our lives fulfilled.

Science always creates more questions than it answers. The more of science that we know, the more of it we realize that we yet know not.

It is far beyond that, the true answers are the ones we feel deep within, let them come and you shall know, be a wise man and feel yourself for the answers. Impatience drives many to answer these questions. Impatience is the work of the devil. Also its Yahweh, that is the correct term, the bible lies poorly to me. The savior is Yahewshua

Miss-Mess

Miss-Mess

A hero, somtimes.

Religion is very important because it always guilds to the rightness..And believing in God is a way to live the right life.. believe me,if you ever thought that someone's watching you nights and days and knows everything about you,the good and the bad things.. you won't lead to the wrong way.. you'll know that we are living to do ONLY the right.. and believing in God is a basic way to do the rightness..

So.. i don't know.. i think without Religion the world will be in mess... because everybody will think that he's the strongest and can do the impossible.. But if you think that there's only one "strongest strongest" whose God .. who can do the possible and the impossible..you won't become so overconfident and not so humbleness!

I don't know but that's my point of view and thanks for the topic :)

curlette

I'm not really that sure

@miss-mess ~ religion as a guide to rightness? you need to be watched to make sure you behave in a responsible manner? that's why i said people need to grow up. children need watched, need to be told/taught what is right and what is wrong. societies exist now and have existed without religions, at least not the basic big 3...are all of them, all their history, culture meaningless? were they savages? are they still savages that have no moral compass? no ethics? just barbarians rooting and wreaking havoc because they have no god...at least not your god.

no, they're not. man created god(s) as humans have done since the beginning, no one was created in their image...humans created them in their own image. with human attributes, emotions, motivations. just bigger and more powerful versions of humanity.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

no matter how much you drum into someone's head, they are going to do what they see others that they emulate do. you can tell them that's wrong, but if their mentor/idol does it and they are strong enough of a person to be influenced they are going to do what they do not what is right or wrong. a person doesn't need a religion but it doesn't hurt to have one, if you want one. every society has had religion, it's how they are corrupted within it or how they manipulate it to their own sinister ways which makes it bad.

I didn't create my gods, rather humans were created from gods (in my religion as other people practice other religions of course and they all have different ways that they were formed, that they were created, etc). but I believe this, I understand this and it is my CHOICE to believe this. as others believe in nothing, others believe in a being only when they need something, or when people want to believe in this or that. I choose to believe because I can. it helps clear the path for enlightenment and I'm able to spend time with nature and at my local temple/shrine. doesn't make it wrong UNLESS I'm doing corrupt things or doing bad things in the name of said being/s. nothing wrong with a person wishing/choosing to believe in something to bring them peace, enlightenment and so forth and it is a person's choice to believe in other paths. but attacking a person because they choose to practice what they wish and choose to find peace, that believing in this or that helps them cope with things (as one does not know the past in which they came from to judge for them what is wrong or right) needs to do a tiny bit of growing up themselves. my opinion.

I was forced to attend church, at age four I said no more and stopped and soul searched until about ten years ago and stopped when I found the right path. I don't judge people, I don't force people to believe what I believe, or judge people on their religion. if they are happy in whatever the religion they wish/choose to follow (even if they have to fake one and follow the true one in their heart) then so be it. I know in the end the higher beings will sort us out so until then we should just enjoy life and worry about things we can do something about, what another practices is seriously nowhere near the top of my list, let alone I don't even think it is on my list.

p.s. this is all my opinion and not to be hurtful or bash anyone. respect is key in dealing with others and what they practice, I've dealt and deal with a lot of bashing, with a lot of you're going to *ahem* place, because I don't practice a certain religion. I just know how much at peace I am, how much more mature I am and I enjoy life more fully and I live as if it was my last, instead of day to day as I once did.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

DarkAlleyCat

DarkAlleyCat

Mew! =3 ~DAC~

Religion as far as we can date is the very ideal of morality to what we know. Of course faith and belief to God, or heaven & hell are things we cannot fully comprehend with today's knowledge, or what science can provide, but still something to lean for an unknown. Yet there are certain things we haven't actually matured as a race, sounds a bit...out there. What I mean by that is the fact of maturity on some pity conflicts. I mean the feud between religion and atheism tries to contradict each other, and prove the other one wrong. Instead there are some similarities where both sides can agree with. One is why don't know how exactly the world or universe is actually created. People have their theories and explanation, but both side cannot provide solid concrete proof that they're correct, let alone accurate. Another, to the more extreme, is that they both think that each side is just a corrupted evil of misguided information, that's just a quick harsh presumption. Religion, yes it does provide reason why we should respect our fellow man(or woman) and what basic definition of good and evil. Science is that extension for further knowledge to understand the world we live in, and some answers to the basic & complex of questions. So in all honesty, religion shouldn't be a label for what you do and don't believe, but simply something in which you personally call justified as truth and how does that fit into a larger picture. Its just nowadays when someone brings it up, it seems you have to choose either side.

Just my penny of thought.

~I don't believe in angels but I believe in people. That's enough reason for me to believe heaven exists. ~Signature Image

Miss-Mess

Miss-Mess

A hero, somtimes.

Quote by DeadSpaceX@miss-mess ~ religion as a guide to rightness? you need to be watched to make sure you behave in a responsible manner? that's why i said people need to grow up. children need watched, need to be told/taught what is right and what is wrong. societies exist now and have existed without religions, at least not the basic big 3...are all of them, all their history, culture meaningless? were they savages? are they still savages that have no moral compass? no ethics? just barbarians rooting and wreaking havoc because they have no god...at least not your god.

no, they're not. man created god(s) as humans have done since the beginning, no one was created in their image...humans created them in their own image. with human attributes, emotions, motivations. just bigger and more powerful versions of humanity.

Oh at least you have your opinion and you're so fanatic in it, and the same goes to me..yes i think religions are the guiders of the rightness.. and about your sentence " you need to be watched to make sure you behave in a responsible manner" lol XD do you know me to judge? well okay not only children need to be watched but everyone just for your record.

And also this thread to share your opinion.. i shared mine and you shared yours.. so i guess it's not necessary to talk alot about that case :)

Religion is a form of social shepherding, a way that humans found able to control other humans' behaviour and morals. It's also a way to make people lazy about looking for answers and judging things on their own. It's a way of social repression and social control. It's something for weak and unadventurous people to cling to. It's something that people use to guide their behaviour instead of creating their own way. It's a source of regression and stagnation.

"Also, Russia liked America in the same way that little boys liked the ants they burnt on the sidewalks in the summer. Only with a little more pizzazz, and outer space." (or "why do they call this war cold, baby, when it's so hot between us?" xD. America/Russia in a nutshell)

"Is there just something in the water over here, that makes you guys every so often go 'fuck it, let's have a rumble?'. I'm not touching another one of your big, European, 'bring your friends' wars, like you're throwing a neighborhood potluck or something. It's not my job to ride in like the fucking cavalry every time you get into a jam." (America's thoughts on Europe, after the "well, that was pretty pointless" fiesta of WW1. From "The Chosen End")

Quote by Miss-Mess

Quote by DeadSpaceX@miss-mess ~ religion as a guide to rightness? you need to be watched to make sure you behave in a responsible manner? that's why i said people need to grow up. children need watched, need to be told/taught what is right and what is wrong. societies exist now and have existed without religions, at least not the basic big 3...are all of them, all their history, culture meaningless? were they savages? are they still savages that have no moral compass? no ethics? just barbarians rooting and wreaking havoc because they have no god...at least not your god.

Oh at least you have your opinion and you're so fanatic in it, and the same goes to me..yes i think religions are the guiders of the rightness.. and about your sentence " you need to be watched to make sure you behave in a responsible manner" lol XD do you know me to judge? well okay not only children need to be watched but everyone just for your record.

And also this thread to share your opinion.. i shared mine and you shared yours.. so i guess it's not necessary to talk alot about that case :)

@miss-mess, what you said earlier reminds me of a classic psychology experiment.
In the experiment, the researches believed that with no boundaries, people can explore more and reach newer heights. So they tested it on a group of children during play time. They took away the fences in the area and told the children they can do what they like and go where they want to. But counter to what they were expecting, the children did not explore more of the area and did not try new things. Instead, they huddled closer together and preferred their old ways of games. When they put the fences back, again, counter to what they expected, the children behaved more openly, and became more creative.
The result of this experiment not only applies to children, but to adults as well. We all need a set of rules in order to operate. We need to know what is right and what is wrong, we need to know what is the appropriate action in any situation. Think about it. When a good friends doesn't keep a promise, we become upset? Why? Because innately, we are following a certain kind of social order that gives us the expectation that friends keep promises. The rule then, is "Good friends keep, not break, promises to other friends." That itself is a rule for good social behavior. Throughout history, religion was what gave us these rules.

As for what DeadSpaceX said, I think no society has ever existed without some sort of presence from religion. True, it's not always the "big 3" but all societies, no matter how big or how small, operate through a set of rules, a sense of a higher moral calling. Even for an isolated extreme atheist, he still lives according to his own morals. His morals, then, is his religion.

We all need a set of rules to define us and religion is absolutely necessary. The only thing in which no definition exists for is chaos.

Signature

Corvyie

Corvyie

Uh-huh.

People rely on faith whether we like it or not. It's the truth, we have to rely on something and scientists aren't a very reliable source in comparison to an all-knowing and all-creating God, now is it? In moments of fear or weakness or anything in which we need to turn to something, anything, people turn to higher powers. People or beings that are stronger than them. To say, I personally believe that Religion is a strange thing. I don't like thinking or messing with it, it frustrates me beyond belief because on one end we have people who use it in great ways. They derive from their faith wonderful ideas and thoughts and they help others and then other people in their holier-than-thou beliefs sometimes think they can do whatever they want in the name of God. In the name of so-and-so. And so forth. Religion is such a sticky subject. It can rule our lives if we let it, and yet at the same time I find it extremely amusing. I'm sure that God did not write the Bible and thus, I have no clue why I should follow it in God's name, because I doubt that it was an actual recollection of anything truly related to anything. And yet... it's essentially impossible to live without a God because then there leaves so many unanswered questions. And here I am, at the beginning of the circle, still clueless as to whether or not it is a good or bad thing. Truth be told - we're never going to find an answer until we're satisfied. And for some of us, we never will be satisfied.

Actions speak louder than words and words speak louder than thoughts.

[url=http://bleach-central.minitokyo.net]

It's like cheese...everyone needs one.
For Christians it's Christianism.
For Muslims it's the Islam.
For atheists it's denial.

That's all. We have little to no way to prove religion has a point or even if it doesn't have one. That's why it's belief. Subjective by definition...
The religion of others is a private matter. There isn't rights and wrongs there. Well, until you keep it from becoming fanaticism.
Religion is sanctuary...but also can be one of your deepest Hells if you wander away.

springheeljack

springheeljack

The Return

I believe in god i just don't think people are really capable of understanding him and his majesty though i we try
its just something beyond us.

You may bury my body in a supermarket aisle
Bury my body in the fresh meat aisle
And I will rise again like an exocet missile Signature Image

god is one...n discrimination on religion basis is just sick

I'm an atheist.
Despite most of my family being atheistic, when I was little I wanted to believe in God, so I went took up the class in school. Before that I never really thought about it, with my family it wasn't even an issue, It0s not like we hate it or actively 'not-believe' XD
But I couldn't believe in the end, not to say that I didn't try.
But I don't like the church and the belief that there has to be a third party. I believe that if you believe it exists, so for believers I think that religion is a personal relationship between the person and God, church is not needed.

I'm reading up on Taoism/Daoism :) will try to convert myself.
Since it's more a way of life than religion it might be easier for me.

For an atheist it's very hard to believe in something.

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by someone on page 1exactly..think back nd most of the wars from the really early times were based on religion like World War 2

Back to the history books >.>

<hr>

I used to think that was a valid point about religion creating wars but Angel and Hooyaah pointed out that it's not religion that is to blame but people who twist and use religion for their own purposes.

I also used to believe in Sanzos' "Religion is a form of social shepherding" theory. When I really thought about it though I realised that this new Atheism craze may be no different. Most people are like sheep and so how can you be sure that all these fanatic atheists who bash religion and think only science can and will provide all answers aren't the exact same people who would have been fanatic Christians only a few centuries or even decades ago? I don't think they truly represent either Religion or Atheism only what is most popular in their environment and era.

In other words are these Atheists who claim to be free thinking really thinking for themselves or are they just swallowing what scientists tell them in the exact same fashion as these religious people they despise so much?

I'm not religious but I have some religious friends who are and they genuinely seem like happy and hardworking people. They're the true practitioners of religion I think, not the people who use it as an excuse to engineer wars like the crusades which are arguable still ongoing. I suppose I envy them really.

religion, can be sensitive issue.

Neurotripsy

Neurotripsy

알리시아

I have no problem with them if they don't try to make me part of their religion. I'm Buddhist so Christianity is weird to me

Deagels

Deagels

Casual stockpiler

Eluding questions of truth or falsity I am going focus on the human psyche of religion and science in a simply explained way.

Religions great foundation in a person is faith. To loose faith is a very bad thing. It symbolizes a loss of trust in god. This is a very powerful drive force in a believer when enforced over a period of time. Faith generally suggests conservativeness or not to give in to other explanations or contradicting beliefs. To change ones perspective of something can be difficult to anyone. It is safe to assume the only truth is what has been the truth in generations. A group of people with the same perspective is also a very safe and comforting social connection.

The scientific method is completely opposite. Science great foundation is critical questioning of even the obvious! A crave for a heavily tested, logged, analyzed, retested, compared, and explained reason. The scientific way to the truth is MERCY-LESS. Proven is the highest standard a statement or theorem can have and the word proof is HEAVILY abused! Even parts of mathematics is not proven in the words right meaning. One can say "everyone knows its true" but no.. scientific proving is THAT harsh! The unproven second place goes to theories. Theory of gravity, theory of thermodynamics, theory of electrodynamics, theory of evolution, etc, etc. While religious beliefs remain what they are taught, truth in science is ever-changing and evolving as new experiments gives new understanding of nature. Even so it is a hard act to change ones perspective of nature when what one has been working on for 30 years suddenly falls apart at your feet when results from a new experiment arrives. (fml)

Ethics is a discussion with a bit of distance from both of these. Some say "How can you have ethics without religion?". And I understand why they do. None other than religions dare dictate what is ethically right and wrong. But thousands of year old ethics is not necessarily good ethics today (some of it is rather downright disgusting and horrible IMHO). Ethics is something you will have to answer at a personal individual level given the circumstances of life at present time. I consider creating a thread with some difficult ethical issues to solve to get some serious thinking going. I will answer them myself in the case I do.

tl;dr
Religion: Have faith in god, question nothing!
Science: Question everything!

I will never see through all of the scans I have...

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Sorry , I'm not a Christian :P
Or rather , the place I live in doesn't have Christian as the norm religion and I'm an atheist for one thing.
Well , most "servants of Gods" can't have children nor marry for one reason or the other , though if I'm not wrong , Taoism may prove to be an exception , then again , I'm not too sure.

Well , depending on your view , religion can have very different meanings.
It may be to some as an ethnic compass , to others a teaching , to some an interest whilst others may find it a negative knowledge.
For me...well , history hasn't been shedding too much of a decent light on religion , or rather , the ones who passes them on such as the priest , but I guess it's up to humans whether we use it for good or for our own means.

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by DeagelsI consider creating a thread with some difficult ethical issues to solve to get some serious thinking going. I will answer them myself in the case I do.

I'd be interested to see that.

springheeljack

springheeljack

The Return

while im an episcopalian i believe that all faiths are in some way shape or form paths to god
and I dont think there is one "true" religion

Bury my body in the fresh meat aisle
And I will rise again like an exocet missile Signature Image

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 57 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.