Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Suggestion: Reputation System - Minitokyo

Suggestion: Reputation System

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 29 total items

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Hi.
^ 1 word starter.
By the way, I don't like scorpions. Changing the picture would be a good idea..y'know to maybe a frog or a rotating globe which looks like Earth.

Alright, carrying on :- I'm not all into the 'LET'S TAKE THE SITE DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE AND MASS-UPGRADE IT YO' kinda thing, but I've been skimming around, playing Touhou, stabbing drama starters, makin' fun of people and getting cursed for it, being scorned for fat jokes and even helping old ladies cross the spanish mane. It's 7am in the morning right now, I haven't slept because I'm so focused and intent on work that my eyes just died on me and I'm typing blindly.

I've been wondering if MT would ever have some kind of reputation system or something. I know this idea is old/overused/boring/underaged/over the top/copyright infringement/uninnovative/trashed/justin bieber. But it's a 'feature request' sort of thread and it's just plain empty, which epicly gets a fail grade. A lot of people love the site yet suggestion box has zero threads, maybe people are lazy, maybe they like the way things are. But as far as I'm concerned, I'm ranting.

Reputation system, I can't give any good ideas, the most I can come up with is a +rep thing for good/insightful/funny posts whilst -rep is for old/boring/useless/spam/by the book/wikipedia/copy and paste/crude type of things. I won't go so far into detail as I'm sure Rep systems are common knowledge for Site Admins, and my explanation skills are terrible; Students would sooner jump off a bridge than hear me teach them subjects in grade school.

I don't know anymore, I just typed this to fill up the number of closed threads, or to maybe give you something to consider. Either way, typing paragraphs sure is fun.

Now then..I need to end the thread saying a cool word to sound casual so if any one gets frustrated reading this wall of text, they'll cool down after seeing this one 'chill' word. Cheers is overused and Peace out is just pathetic. I'll settle for an "I love you".

I love you,
D

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Nice idea.

Xal would like rep points.... thats OVER 9000!

Signature
You best be fearin' the ears baby.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by xAl-sanNice idea.

Xal would like rep points.... thats MINUS 9000!

Fixed*

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Z-rus

Z-rus

Cutest of kids,foulest of mouths

It looks like a good idea, but since Lex is suggesting this thread there are some things to note, he probably wants this so he can carry around the motherload of bad reputation.

Life isn't complete without stupidity. Almost how your life is never complete without annoyances.

With great intelligence comes paranoia, as you are feel more empathy and have basic expectance of the reactions in conjunction to the people around you.
Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

You're the last person I want in my threads.
Heh..

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Rep ratings are mere ego boosters. In the end, the most self-promoting member with a humongous friend list will have the highest rep rating gained in a short period of time.

Credits are gained from posting. That's good enough.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Nothing is ever 'good enough'. We live in a globalizing world, get updated or get left out. Y'know?

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Z-rus

Z-rus

Quote by kiopiRep ratings are mere ego boosters. In the end, the most self-promoting member with a humongous friend list will have the highest rep rating gained in a short period of time.

1. Ego boosters? Hardly as such. Self promoting members with a moderately large friend list will not always have the highest rep rating gained in a short period of time. Your narrow minded comment has hurt my sides, from the massive amounts of laughter. Nailing down something before all possible paths were explored.

2. In the end, the current person here with the largest self-promotion and most annoying demeanor is Darthas, he isn't liked by anyone. Therefore, the latter half of your argument is invalid and needs a re-think. I credit you for posting your opinion, but that's as far as my credit goes. You could bring up the fact that overtime, more people will come to Minitokyo, but you also forgot to expand more on the limitations of which people are able to give reputation at all.

3. Just having credits gained per post is a good idea, but at the same time all it ever attracts is people who spam needless comments with no relation to the topics they post in. My definition of a spammer and/or jumper is a person who just fills up the minimum expected of him in one thread before jumping to fill other threads, then leaving and never returning after saving all the pictures they want. Due to this, I'm not surprised the forum is rather.."empty".

Personal note: I was more for the notion that only people with 5 rep or more are allowed to give others reputation. Furthermore, it could also play out as the only category of people capable of giving reputation are the Elite members and other names which are not the white names.

This is my positive contribution, alas not all of it.

Life isn't complete without stupidity. Almost how your life is never complete without annoyances.

With great intelligence comes paranoia, as you are feel more empathy and have basic expectance of the reactions in conjunction to the people around you.
Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by Z-rus

Quote by kiopiRep ratings are mere ego boosters. In the end, the most self-promoting member with a humongous friend list will have the highest rep rating gained in a short period of time.

1. Ego boosters? Hardly as such. Self promoting members with a moderately large friend list will not always have the highest rep rating gained in a short period of time. Your narrow minded comment has hurt my sides, from the massive amounts of laughter. Nailing down something before all possible paths were explored.

2. In the end, the current person here with the largest self-promotion and most annoying demeanor is Darthas, he isn't liked by anyone. Therefore, the latter half of your argument is invalid and needs a re-think. I credit you for posting your opinion, but that's as far as my credit goes. You could bring up the fact that overtime, more people will come to Minitokyo, but you also forgot to expand more on the limitations of which people are able to give reputation at all.

3. Just having credits gained per post is a good idea, but at the same time all it ever attracts is people who spam needless comments with no relation to the topics they post in. My definition of a spammer and/or jumper is a person who just fills up the minimum expected of him in one thread before jumping to fill other threads, then leaving and never returning after saving all the pictures they want. Due to this, I'm not surprised the forum is rather.."empty".

Personal note: I was more for the notion that only people with 5 rep or more are allowed to give others reputation. Furthermore, it could also play out as the only category of people capable of giving reputation are the Elite members and other names which are not the white names.

This is my positive contribution, alas not all of it.

The bolded words were the ones that toss you in the same category as I'm in. (@s-ole)
The italics earn you a wall of text of vulgarities from me.
The underlined ones are QFT.
The size 20 font is my view on a helpful contribution.

and you call me a troll *laugh*

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

DanRen

DanRen

When Colors Fade...

i think rep points are useless if you jus want to enjoy the page art ;you can insult me for my opinion if you want

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

I think at this point of time, the reputation thing is just an add-on for regular forum users.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

DanRen

DanRen

When Colors Fade...

if you put it in that way i think you are rihgt

Signature

Still serves no purpose.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by darthasI think at this point of time, the reputation thing is just an add-on for regular forum users.

Might have a use in the future, might not. Either way, it's just a suggestion. What you got bro?

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

None. Because I don't see any point in having a reputation system or any derivatives of it, both present and future. Potential usefulness level? Zilch.

Z-rus

Z-rus

Quote by kiopiNone. Because I don't see any point in having a reputation system or any derivatives of it, present and future. It might also reinforce a sense of elitism.

Mostly, such a system is just put there for fun, basically being a game in itself. Identical to a few websites, a reputation system is just there for feedback and fun. There is usually a system command within your user panel which turns such a reputation device on and off, according to your status in participating or not.

The *point* of having one, is simply for fun. How did something so simple slip out of your reasoning? It's common, basic knowledge. Even if you don't think it's fun, you should at the very least know why such a feature was created in the first place and therefore would refrain from labeling it as 'useless'. Once again, another stupid implication.

The second half almost makes sense. Elitism starts when people get the general idea that with more Reputation, they are greater than others. Controlling reputation in one way or another usually solves this problem. If you read anything I wrote the last time around, you'd comment on that and point out the flaws instead of presenting the obvious problem header again.

It's like saying that bread gets bad if left in the open, someone suggests to put it in a box, and you tell him you see no point in putting it in the box or any derivatives of such, present or future as it will reinforce a sense of decay and mold, when you could have spent all that space saying something like 'even if kept in a box..it wouldn't work out if the box wasn't air-tight..etc etc', but instead you just told the guy the bread will decay if left in a box. As if people don't already know that.

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by Z-rus

Quote by kiopiNone. Because I don't see any point in having a reputation system or any derivatives of it, present and future. It might also reinforce a sense of elitism.

Mostly, such a system is just put there for fun, basically being a game in itself. Identical to a few websites, a reputation system is just there for feedback and fun. There is usually a system command within your user panel which turns such a reputation device on and off, according to your status in participating or not.

The *point* of having one, is simply for fun. How did something so simple slip out of your reasoning? It's common, basic knowledge. Even if you don't think it's fun, you should at the very least know why such a feature was created in the first place and therefore would refrain from labeling it as 'useless'. Once again, another stupid implication.

The second half almost makes sense. Elitism starts when people get the general idea that with more Reputation, they are greater than others. Controlling reputation in one way or another usually solves this problem. If you read anything I wrote the last time around, you'd comment on that and point out the flaws instead of presenting the obvious problem header again.

It's like saying that bread gets bad if left in the open, someone suggests to put it in a box, and you tell him you see no point in putting it in the box or any derivatives of such, present or future as it will reinforce a sense of decay and mold, when you could have spent all that space saying something like 'even if kept in a box..it wouldn't work out if the box wasn't air-tight..etc etc', but instead you just told the guy the bread will decay if left in a box. As if people don't already know that.

I spat out my drink laughing at how you phrased that.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Z-rus

Z-rus

Quote by kiopiNone. Because I don't see any point in having a reputation system or any derivatives of it, both present and future. Potential usefulness level? Zilch.

changed from

So you edited out the elitism part AFTER I posted a reply on it and you repeated yet another header which this thread could clearly do without, if you have nothing useful to suggest other than repetitions do not post here and make the thread look bad. Go 'gather' your credits elsewhere.

Signature

My edits were done before you posted. And I have more than enough credits that I don't need to resort to farming. Reason? I don't download scans or wallpapers much. The credits accumulated over the years are pretty much unused anyway.

Quote by Z-rusThe *point* of having one, is simply for fun. How did something so simple slip out of your reasoning? It's common, basic knowledge. Even if you don't think it's fun, you should at the very least know why such a feature was created in the first place and therefore would refrain from labeling it as 'useless'. Once again, another stupid implication.

Elaborate further on what is so fun about rating someone's rep up or down. Expand more on what you mean by usefulness.

You are basically putting responsibility on others (or in your own words, the upper strata of members) when they rate a stranger's rep. Think about the downsides as well.

Again, I don't see much benefit to the site in implementing such a system. "Fun" isn't a good enough reason to pass the mark.

Suggestions are okay, but needs to be backed up with solid reasonings. Try doing as you did in the real world, and it would have been passed over without anything more than a quick glance.

PS: I've seen all sorts of systems implemented over the years in many sites that I have frequented/lurked/participated. Level systems, points systems, post count systems, reputation ratings, manual wallpaper rating systems (AO style), automated rating systems, post rating systems (meant to flag spam but abused widely just because of opinion differences), etc. Pretty much have a feel of what kind of impact any rating systems will have. I have been on MT 5 yrs, but have been on other diverse forums way much older than that (since 2002).

Z-rus

Z-rus

Quote by kiopiMy edits were done before you posted. And I have more than enough credits that I don't need to resort to farming. Reason? I don't download scans or wallpapers much.

Quote by Z-rusThe *point* of having one, is simply for fun. How did something so simple slip out of your reasoning? It's common, basic knowledge. Even if you don't think it's fun, you should at the very least know why such a feature was created in the first place and therefore would refrain from labeling it as 'useless'. Once again, another stupid implication.

Elaborate further on what is so fun about rating someone's rep up or down. Expand more on what you mean by usefulness.

You are basically putting responsibility on others (or in your own words, the upper strata of members) when they rate a stranger's rep. Think about the downsides as well.

Your definition of fun and mine are different, keep that in mind.
Being a lurker myself, especially around the more serious topics, I find it 'fun' to skim through, understand, and see the foundations of many of the comments from other people's perspectives. The way they describe things, the baseline of what they try to say, I enjoy giving some form of credit to these people, however small it may be. It's my way of telling them they didn't type all that to be just read and tossed aside as soon as the next poster types 2 lines and gets done with it. "Credit where it's due".

It gives the said person a feeling that such a serious reply wasn't really something worth doing, therefore the presence of such opinions would drop, which isn't all that good in the threads titled or written to request such answers. It's not something that encourages more similar posts, but something that signifies such a reply wasn't just wasted and he did make a fraction of sense, his position understood. Sooner or later, hopefully more people would follow suit in sections which require this.

The downsides are clear to me, that responsibility is put on the upper strata of members. You phrase it in a way that it seems I'm dumping a burden on them (I am unclear of how they think about it, since this thread is dead save the 3 of us.) therefore I base it on the assumption that I expect from the 'higher-ups'. That they have no qualms about being responsible, as they pretty much already are when they keep the forum clean from pests.
This small bar has it's downsides, yes. But as long as self-control and discipline is present when repping is being done, which I know the higher-up members have, I doubt many problems would arise regarding elitism.

Unless they toss some form of comment in here, I won't assume too much for now.

..for the record, the edits were done after you posted on my screen and if you have more than enough credits, congratulations and celebrations. Posting that repeating nonsense doesn't change the fact it gets farmed up anyhow.

Regards.

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by kiopi
Suggestions are okay, but needs to be backed up with solid reasonings. Try doing as you did in the real world, and it would have been passed over without anything more than a quick glance.

PS: I've seen all sorts of systems implemented over the years in many sites that I have frequented/lurked/participated. Level systems, points systems, post count systems, reputation ratings, manual wallpaper rating systems (AO style), automated rating systems, post rating systems (meant to flag spam but abused widely just because of opinion differences), etc. Pretty much have a feel of what kind of impact any rating systems will have. I have been on MT 5 yrs, but have been on other diverse forums way much older than that (since 2002).

Bro, I hate to say it, but despite all your years in forums, it don't make you look good when you post a reply..only to edit a wall of text below it but 5 mins later. Shows one too many indecisive comments and that you don't review all you wanted to say. The reason you type submit reply is when you finalize and deem it ready to be read, y'know? I've been on the computer since Babbage invented it and I was on the very first forum made in the world, I browse through 166 (or 160) quality forums in total. I suppose I'm more advanced than you are in my opinions now right? I've seen a lot of things and even been involved in the evolution of such things. Thus what you know ain't nothin' compared to my Bill Gatin' knowledge.

The only reason I'm typing this is because both of you are spamming this thread over and over and none of you are making very much sense in anything you say. This is turning from a suggestion to a hate thread. I couldn't care less about your achievements or what expertise you claim to have, nor your experiences in hell knows what forum in what year. Discuss like sanitary people, we're adults for cryin' out loud. All this e-peen stroking makes you look 17.

All I managed to salvage from this is 'Elaborate fun', 'elitism', 'threadless forum game', 'responsibility'.
So get rid of all your trash talk and anything not discussion related.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Posting that "repeated nonsense" just means credits that I won't be using anyway. No difference from getting zero credits at all.

Your implication would require a long term commitment to monitor and give out ratings. It's basically having someone to evaluate other people's post. It's unrealistic to expect that any long well thought out post will have someone jump in, evaluate and give a rating either instantly or at some future point of time. Some topics are definitely bound not to be looked at.

And the responsibilities of Elites are on a voluntary basis. If only a few volunteers and just pops in once in a while to rate while many other posts goes unnoticed, that'd defeat the whole system as it will in effect, end up a white elephant.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by darthas So get rid of all your trash talk and anything not discussion related.

Quote by kiopiPosting that "repeated nonsense" just means credits that I won't be using anyway. No difference from getting zero credits at all.

Learn to read.. *palm*

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Learn to read..."Argument Against" :P

Anyway, I've said my piece on the downside of a rep system. Leave it to you to to duke it out.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 29 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.