Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What is and what does the Devil look like? - Minitokyo

What is and what does the Devil look like?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

THINGY

THINGY

Fighting Boredom

It has come my attention that the "Devil", "Satan" or "the Anti-Christ" which ever you prefer is depicted differently, as long as I can remember when I was a kid the image of him was red, with horns, a tail and a trident. Since a couple of years ago I changed my perspective concerning this outlook.

If he is a fallen angel who was God's favorite and the most beautiful among angels then how the hell does < this turn into ^ that. What I'm trying to get at is that in order to fulfill this 'Evil' he can't be fugly he has to exude charm and grace other than that he is just a plot device for the whole "Good and Evil" agenda. Then again, I would be interested to know what you guys think.

The thing is... although the types of happiness one can experience are limited, there are unlimited variations of misfortunes.
*Fooly Cooly*
Signature

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

A not so serious religious thread! I'm in! :o

I've read (in the Bible) that the devil is a Seraphim (an angel made of fire), the devil is called Lucifer (Light-Bearer, Morning Star), he was one of the seven Archangels (the archangels are the only angels that can see God's face directly, and suposedly, they're the most beautiful spiritual beings). I think he has the appearance of a human, he has 6 wings, and, like any other archangel, his wings are full of eyes... but, he was kicked out of Heaven, and maybe he was transformed into a fugly dragon after his downfall on Earth... Who knows.

Also, I've read (don't remember where...) that the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse are 4 of the seven archangels, so I suppose Death is a "beautiful angel" too... :P

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

depends on the religion but since we're going on about the christian devil, to stay on topic of course, I have heard the stories, read the stories, been told I'm going there to meet him because I don't practice their religion and so forth, so in my opinion, maybe people use their inner appearance or they use "ugly" to show what evil really looks like, in the eyes of many cultures evil is ugly and filthy. but in some aspects they are tricksters, they look pretty on the outside but extremely hideous on the inside and only when they die does that show out, so maybe that's how the appearance came about, once beauty without, fell and bam, the outcome of inner becoming outer? of course there are many scientific aspects and notions, watching the history channel and the likes all stories could be true, or they could all be myth, I suppose all questions are not answered upon second of our death.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

I haven't read all of the passages mentioned above in the Bible, but we do know that at one point he appeared to Eve as a snake, which implies that he can probably take any shape when on the earth. Luckily, taking a Christian standpoint, we know that he can't directly interfere with our lives, so we shouldn't have to ever see him in this life.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

true, we may not ever seen the christian evil, but that doesn't stop him or any other evil out there, or what ever the evil is that does lurk to take on enough to influence people and cause true evil and chaos that we can see, aka deaths, robberies, etc. so in a way, we can see evil but through the work of "men".

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

From a christian standpoint, the devil was kicked out to Earth, and he actually is the ruler of this world, he only wants to take more souls to hell, and win this battle against God... personally I don't believe in that story... I think everybody is bad and good, that's why we can see evil and good things in this world...

Staying on topic, I think he uses a sword, a spear or a trident, as a weapon.

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Quote by angelxxuantrue, we may not ever seen the christian evil, but that doesn't stop him or any other evil out there, or what ever the evil is that does lurk to take on enough to influence people and cause true evil and chaos that we can see, aka deaths, robberies, etc. so in a way, we can see evil but through the work of "men".

Very true. I would definitely agree with that.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

Look at in the mirror you will see devil's face........

Joke..

radith

radith

how art you today?

devil is iblis. and it isn't an angel. it made from fire. and it was from genie's tribe.

artistique is unique

I only know of a Christian description. Lucifer was called the most beautiful angel before falling from heaven. Well what does a beautiful angel look like? a being with a well sculpted and handsome face and nice body shape? that would sure fit our concept of beauty. Is he still beautiful after the fall? fact is, no one's seen him, and therefore no one really knows.

otherwise, he's the red scaly thing in tights with horns, a pointy tail, and a pitchfork XD

Signature

THINGY

THINGY

Fighting Boredom

Quote by angelxxuandepends on the religion but since we're going on about the christian devil, to stay on topic of course, I have heard the stories, read the stories, been told I'm going there to meet him because I don't practice their religion and so forth, so in my opinion, maybe people use their inner appearance or they use "ugly" to show what evil really looks like, in the eyes of many cultures evil is ugly and filthy. but in some aspects they are tricksters, they look pretty on the outside but extremely hideous on the inside and only when they die does that show out, so maybe that's how the appearance came about, once beauty without, fell and bam, the outcome of inner becoming outer? of course there are many scientific aspects and notions, watching the history channel and the likes all stories could be true, or they could all be myth, I suppose all questions are not answered upon second of our death.

That's a good answer... but you know what they say there is always a bit of truth in myths and legends.

Quote by radithdevil is iblis. and it isn't an angel. it made from fire. and it was from genie's tribe.

This is interesting, can you tell me more?

Quote by Vitaceae

otherwise, he's the red scaly thing in tights with horns, a pointy tail, and a pitchfork XD

Hahaha... I know exactly what you mean.

As far as the "Devil" is concerned I can say that he's a scapegoat MAN *humans* made up, to mark crimes deemed evil to oneself.... it's like making a justification for what one considers justice, and saying everything else is evil therefore the Devil was born.... Now would God be just as revered if the Devil didn't play his role as the Bad Guy?.. Because he changes with every God attached, so what do you guys think?

The thing is... although the types of happiness one can experience are limited, there are unlimited variations of misfortunes.
*Fooly Cooly*
Signature

Quote by THINGY
As far as the "Devil" is concerned I can say that he's a scapegoat MAN *humans* made up, to mark crimes deemed evil to oneself.... it's like making a justification for what one considers justice, and saying everything else is evil therefore the Devil was born.... Now would God be just as revered if the Devil didn't play his role as the Bad Guy?.. Because he changes with every God attached, so what do you guys think?

So are you saying the devil doesn't really exist? that he's just a piece of our imagination and we use him to embody what is evil?
I think God would be revered even if there was no "devil." By nature people need something to believe in. If it's not God that we revere, then it is celebrities, our favorite band, our computer, ourselves. So no matter what, people have a need to revere something, and for a lot of people, it just happens to be God. Also, we can all disagree about definitions of the devil, but none of us can deny that evil exists. And where there is evil, there must also be good, and people will revere what is good. If God is good and perfect, then those who believe in God will revere him.

Does the devil change with every religion? how so?

Signature

The King of Devils embodies the neverending Evil and feeds his vassals with his own essence. He's physically beautiful and as transparent as pure water. Anyone who look to the King of Devils see the pure Evil in all of its ugliness.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

THINGY

THINGY

Fighting Boredom

Quote by Vitaceae

Quote by THINGY

So are you saying the devil doesn't really exist? that he's just a piece of our imagination and we use him to embody what is evil?
I think God would be revered even if there was no "devil." By nature people need something to believe in. If it's not God that we revere, then it is celebrities, our favorite band, our computer, ourselves. So no matter what, people have a need to revere something, and for a lot of people, it just happens to be God. Also, we can all disagree about definitions of the devil, but none of us can deny that evil exists. And where there is evil, there must also be good, and people will revere what is good. If God is good and perfect, then those who believe in God will revere him.

Does the devil change with every religion? how so?

I'm not saying he doesn't exist, he like god is an intangible entity whom we have given different images and forms to, and I guess yeah what I'm saying is that we use him to embody evil or at least what we consider to be evil. As far as people and their beliefs I will not argue with you about the nature of people and their own beliefs and weather they choose to hold something sacred and revere it whether it seems utterly blasphemous to others or not*because I agree with you*, but what I'm getting at is that would you *if you believe in God* still consider him as great as you do now if he didn't constantly triumph over "Evil".. Obviously you would revere him, but would you turn to him even more so if the world knew no Evil?

As for the Devil changing with religion or culture and I'm waiting for more responses before I impute my own personal opinion.

*Fooly Cooly*
Signature

Quote by THINGY
I'm not saying he doesn't exist, he like god is an intangible entity whom we have given different images and forms to, and I guess yeah what I'm saying is that we use him to embody evil or at least what we consider to be evil. As far as people and their beliefs I will not argue with you about the nature of people and their own beliefs and weather they choose to hold something sacred and revere it whether it seems utterly blasphemous to others or not*because I agree with you*, but what I'm getting at is that would you *if you believe in God* still consider him as great as you do now if he didn't constantly triumph over "Evil".. Obviously you would revere him, but would you turn to him even more so if the world knew no Evil?

As for the Devil changing with religion or culture and I'm waiting for more responses before I impute my own personal opinion.

Ah, I see what you mean now.
I do think that even if God is not constantly triumphing over evil, we would still turn to him. If God's only purpose was to triumph over evil, that makes him a very limited God. It makes him no different than childhood superheroes. I think the reason that God is so important to so many people is because there's the belief that he is actively involved and cares about what we do in our daily lives. We want to believe in a God who can love us, who can help us through the tough roads we encounter, and if needed, help us battle whatever evil we want to counter.

I'm quite curious about how the devil changes, hope more people share their opinions.

Signature

He must have been beautiful. (don't know about his current look though) ...

Peace ...

According to what i remember (I may remember the wrong thing) about the Satan in Bible. He (?) was an angel but when he had the idea to replace the God, he(?) was punished and banished to the hell.. In my opinion of what devil looks like, I think should be normal. As everyone knows, SOME human are so evil that people could describe them as devil or demon. There is always a devil in our heart, just if you could control it or not. This is just my opinion, it may be correct, or wrong... so is ok to disagree with me.. :)

Corvyie

Corvyie

Uh-huh.

I had always remembered the "Devil" or "Satan" as being a fallen angel punished by God. But as to the form, I personally believe it is just something that bears the name of it and has no true form.

Actions speak louder than words and words speak louder than thoughts.

[url=http://bleach-central.minitokyo.net]

Depends on what you define as devil.
The most impratnt part about the Devil that it can be anything. A fallen angel in Hell, the enemy of God, your deepest dark desires...everything.
And I shouldn't be thinking about the Devil's form. As we haven't seen God(as in physical), we won't be seeing the Devil either. Simple as that.

Lesotho

Lesotho

Asar'el

The Devil has not lost that outer beauty - it's just the inside that's changed.
The Devil will never appear to you as hideous. He will always take the form of seemingly beautiful things - seductive, even...

How do you suppose he's managed to lure so many men to his side, with them barely even knowing it?
Of course, he shows you paths that SEEM good; he promises you things that don't LOOK as if they're bad. That's why he's doing so well with humans...
Watch out - the Devil can actually be the most beautiful thing you've seen.

(Because after all, the truly precious things... are invisible.)

Or at the very least I think so...

~Twice as far as you think /Half the distance you fear
Too thin to hold you /and well over your head
So much cleverer by far /yet witless beyond measure
will you hear my story now?~ -Steven Erickson

An invention of some men to put fear in the hearts of the rest of mankind

"Also, Russia liked America in the same way that little boys liked the ants they burnt on the sidewalks in the summer. Only with a little more pizzazz, and outer space." (or "why do they call this war cold, baby, when it's so hot between us?" xD. America/Russia in a nutshell)

"Is there just something in the water over here, that makes you guys every so often go 'fuck it, let's have a rumble?'. I'm not touching another one of your big, European, 'bring your friends' wars, like you're throwing a neighborhood potluck or something. It's not my job to ride in like the fucking cavalry every time you get into a jam." (America's thoughts on Europe, after the "well, that was pretty pointless" fiesta of WW1. From "The Chosen End")

Dreadwave

Dreadwave

Hunter of snark bait.

Intangible: Adjective: Unable to be touched or grasped; not having physical presence.

Considering that we are using the Christian definition I would assume that we cannot grasp what he even looks like since our limited senses will be insufficient to comprehend an idea. (that and one of his powers seems to be giving a appearance that someone can fully trust)

On another note God would also be in the Eldritch Abomination category since seeing it has the tendency of snapping a humans sanity when seen upon.

As for the good and evil thing.
There can be no good without evil for we would be unable to see the difference between the two.

I guess I have an advantage over most people. At least I know I'm not getting a happy ending.Signature Image

kyosuke2

kyosuke2

Lazy People Gather All The World

i believe if he does really exist, he must be very smart, master in influencing people, know human psychology very well, evil, and saddistic. But he knows democracy, cz even he influences human to do evil, it's in the end the human itself that choose to do evil or good.

hmm, why do human always blame devil, despite i think that's the human itself that choose what he does?

I know everyone is lazy, but none would admit it. Needs big bravery to admit I am lazy, yet I would do it. Let's start a campaign of laziness, let's everyone just sleep enough everyday, without any moron jobs. Hell yeah, sleep is da best. It's lazy democracy, from lazy people, for lazy people, by lazy people, ya know!!!

I have always imagined the devil to be made of shadows like smock floating in the air without a physical body, and a pair of crimson red eyes in the middle of the ghastly shadows that peer right through your soul and your most horrifying fears.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.