Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Minitokyo on IRC! - Minitokyo

Minitokyo on IRC!

page 1 of 1 20 total items

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

If anyone has any issues, please do not hesitate to either PM me or Bernouli.

When the suggestion of a chat box was brought up to allow more freedom for our members, we decided to focus on reviving the Minitokyo IRC channel. This is not only a great way to use something that has been up for years, but also allows the members and staff to interact in an environment that isn't so heavily bound by rules, yet still is monitored by staff members.

What is the IRC you may ask? Internet Relay Chat.

Essentially, IRC is like a giant chat program that allows you to join up with different servers and different channels. For example, Minitokyo is located on the Rizon server and the channel is called #minitokyo. IRC is a great way for the community, both members and staff alike, to join up in a central location and chat without having to worry about the greater amount of restrictions that the Shout Box has. While we expect members to conduct themselves in a mature fashion, we encourage individuals to be themselves and more importantly, have fun.

I will be demonstrating how someone can join up on the Minitokyo IRC channel with the client xChat. xChat is an IRC client that is compatible with Windows and LInux. While this guide was originally built for mIRC, unfortunately mIRC is no longer letting users go past the evaluation date and demanding that you pay. So, this guide has been updated for a new client. xChat is also much easier to use than mIRC and it is free without any gimmicks!

NOTICE : Tama-Neko has provided several links below to help users that may run different operating systems. Please refer to her post for further information. Also, UsagixKitsune added in information about some simple commands and such. You can find his post here.

:: Can't download any IRC client or have restricted access? - Go here and follow what has been done in this screenshot (you can change your usename to your MT name and to get access to the server information, simply click on Server) and you'll be ready to join in on the fun! ::

Step One - Downloading the Client

You can download xChat here.

Once downloaded, all you simply do is install the program.

Step Two - Getting Everything Set Up

xChat is far, far simpler to get set up than mIRC. All you have to do is simply enter in the information at the screen that pops up when you run the program. Please try to stick to your Minitokyo name so we know who you are. While I'm not too sure what the exact difference is between username and real name, they are both required. You do not have to use your actual real name, as I demonstrated in my example. Be sure to select the Rizon server in the list below as I had too and then you'll be ready connect, which is in the bottom right corner.

Step Three - Getting Connected

Once you've connected, you should be set to go! If the nickname you've chosen is registered, you should see a message like this. Unfortunately, this means that you must change your nickname, since it has already been registered by someone else. A simpler way to change your nickname is by typing /nick "Username here" without the ". Once you've done that, all you need to do is type in the lower area at the bottom of the screen (your nickname should be to the left of the typing area) and simply enter in the information like so. Once you've done that, you are set to go!

Congrats, you are now ready to join in on the fun!

Signature Image

Bernouli

Retired Moderator

Bernouli

It's Never Lupus!

I demand that everyone join! D<

Signature
sheq's neenja mod

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

I HAZ JOINED THE FUNZ

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

sailorchiron

sailorchiron

Memories of Eliteness

AWESOMENESS!

Ripping walls? You're headed to Banned-ville.
Signature Image

superkabog

superkabog

VIP,Queen ~ Goddess

*Not Bad...........XD

Signature
	Image ’̿’\̵͇̿̿\з==(•̪●)==ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿

JackoSlacko

JackoSlacko

Queen Cid's "LAZYJESTER"

Not bad indeed, just joined today

Signature
The Internet, Where the Men are Men, The Women are men and the Children are the FBI

raku-amatsu

raku-amatsu

Shugo Tenshi

this seems much more convenient to talk as a forum

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

'Sup
Anyway to those who don't like reading, there's a video on how to fix IRC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDcYmK05Gyg
Kgo.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

w00tazn

w00tazn

hottie.

Lol, #minitokyo never died. :V

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

The guide has been updated for those that do not have access to a client or would rather not get one!

Signature Image

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

So Fran got me to go on IRC. I followed Cy's instructions for NOT downloading the client, but using the MIbbit site. It's pretty cool. Members should definitely try it out before discounting it.

Signature Image

Join for the chatter, stay for the madness.

Signature Image

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Talkin' the talk
Walkin' the walk
Goin' Mad in IRC
Ain't got nothin' on me.
They loggin' on MSN
Too bad, ain't for real men.
Why you chattin' on AIM?
You ain't got no fame.
Jack a ride to IRC yo'
Got more women than your scene ..no?

I wrote that.

10IRCs.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

IRC guide has been updated with an issue I've found with mIRC.

Signature Image

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

On the Mac, I use X-chat Aqua client (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchataqua/) -- it is a free client with all the basics. It is based off of the Win/Linux client, XChat (http://xchat.org/).
For Linux, you may already have an IRC client preinstalled (like irssi or another terminal-based client.) If not, XChat (above), naim (http://naim.n.ml.org/) or Pidgin (http://www.pidgin.im/) are ones I've tried on Ubuntu and work pretty well. (I use XChat currently.) naim and Pidgin support numerous protocols besides IRC (like AIM or GTalk) if you want all your chat programs rolled into one piece of software. Pidgin is also available for Windows and Mac.

DanRen

DanRen

When Colors Fade...

thanks for the fun chance !

Signature

maryshee

maryshee

Songtress

Yeah, IRC's so much fun. :)

Love never fails. . .
Signature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Is it ok if i post this here?
Its extra information for anyone who is new to IRC.

What are commands?
Anything you type that starts with / will not be forwarded to the channel you are talking in and instead will be taken as a command. Here are some basic ones and what they do:

/nick <new name>
- this changes your IRC name. Like Danbooru tags names cannot have spaces but can have underscores.
/nick Usagi Kitsune -wrong
/nick Usagi_Kitsune -right
If a nick is "registered" you cannot use it because it belongs to someone else. If you are just using IRC for #minitokyo then you don't need to worry about registering your nick.

/me <text>
- this is for actions. It paints your text purple and tags your name to the front of your text to indicate that you have performed an action. For example
/me glomps CB
* UsagixKitsune glomps CB
The main reason for using this is it can activate scripts. Try /me hugs UsagixKitsune if you see me in IRC and see what happens! ^_^

/join #channel
- join the specified channel. If you type in a channel that doesn't exist the channel will be created for you (!) (although you'll be the only person in the channel obviously).

/part #channel <text>
- you will leave the specified channel and the text you write after the command will be

displayed as a leaving message.
/part #minitokyo bye bye
* UsagixKitsune (~UxK@E6521E73.19B9ADF1.72856D49.IP) has left #minitokyo (bye bye)
This may not work on all clients. It definitely works on mIRC though.

/notice <nick> <text>
This will send a private message to the person you specified. Anything you write after <nick> is the the message that will be sent. The message will appear to the target in the same channel window but will be in a different colour and only he will be able to see it. Some bots

use this to display information only to the person who activated the bot command.
/notice UsagixKitsune I like your hat
-UsagixKitsune- I like your hat

/msg <nick> <text>
Opens a private message with the nick specified and the first message will be the text that you write after <nick>. This differs from /notice because a new window will open up for both the people involved and you can type subsequent messages into that window without using /msg all the time.

/away <text>
(must write something for text)
This "marks you as away" but unless you extend it with a script the only thing this command really does is add an away message to your whois information.

/away gone to lunch
When someone whois's you they will see
UsagixKitsune is away: gone to lunch

/away
(no text)
cancels your away message

/whois <nick>
Displays information about the nick you specified. Stuff like what chnnels you are on and if you are away or not. If you remember specifying name and email address when setting up your IRC client they are used for the first line of your whois information.
UsagixKitsune is ~UxK@E6521E73.19B9ADF1.72856D49.IP * UxKism
The part before @, in my case UxK, is what you put for "e mail address" and the part on the end is what you put for "full name". In my case UxKism. Like CB said you can put whatever you want in these fields and it doesn't matter. Also different clients might handle this differently. My example is from mIRC.
The part inbetween "email address" and "name" is like your unique identifier on the IRC network. It doesn't contain any personal information, its only useful for channel operators or advanced scripts/ bot scripts that react differently to different people.

How Do I make my text a different colour or format my text?
press ctrl+k and a funny L shaped symbol should appear. after this symbol type and number between 0 and 15 WITHOUT LEAVING A SPACE! mIRC has a helpful little popup that shows you which colour each number represents. You can also change the background colour of the text by adding a comma and another number.
ctrl+k 4 is red text
ctrl+k 4,1 is red text on a black background.
for bold ctrl+b
underline ctrl+u (no symbol appears so just have faith for this one)
to end the formatting, for example if you only want to format one word use the symbol again

(you don't need to put the numbers again for colours just use ctrl+k after the last letter you want coloured.

I'd just like to point out that mIRC is free and availble to use even after the trial period. When you start up the program they try and annoy the hell out of you so you end up donating but just wait for the continue button to enable itself each time and it will work. If he button turns into "end" then just try again. If the button keeps turning into "end" each time then try again later. But yes mIRC is a hassle to set up and beginners wont appreciate the extra features it has to offer.

I'd also like to recommend Chatzilla. Its an IRC client that adds on to FireFox.
1) You can download it here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16/

2) When you have it installed, in FireFox go to tools and ChatZilla will be an option- Click it.

3) In the window that opens up copy and paste this in
/attach irc.rizon.net

4) That will open another tab and in the new tab copy and paste
/join #minitokyo
and you should be in MiniTokyo's channel.

5) Right click the Minitokyo tab and select the option, "connect to this channel on startup".

6) Right click on the tab to the left, the Rizon tab, and click "connect to this network on startup"

7) Then in the box that says "user" left click and select "change nickname...". As CB said, using your MiniTokyo name would be best that way IRCers will recognise you!

And that's all for the set up. Everytime you open up ChatZilla you will connect to MiniTokyo's channel with the nickname you put in that box automatically.

A-413

A-413

NomNoms til I cant Nomz no morez

TY so much for this thread +A+ this sounds like it's gonna be awesome! I mean, instant messaging with the MT community?! that's like a dreaaaammmmm<333. I'll definitely download the chat and log on each day possible so i can have fun with everyone >D count on it! and i'll invite anit4e and some others as well~<3333

awkwardusername

awkwardusername

(」・ω・)」うー!

:O

hmmm... I hope the days that would make #minitokyo noisy, again.
Bummer sleep.

Signature Image
Wordpress | Tumblr
Then what role am I to play in this farce? Should I be the slave? The villager? The knight? The protagonist? No, I am them all! A hero who’s role is to consume everything in sight, dancing while tearing the theater apart. A drama. A drama whose audience is the drama itself.

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to News | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.